Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 564

post #8446 of 9258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
STX is coming tomorrow, HD600's will be here Saturday. The STX is good enough, right?

Im not sure about that sound card, i cannot see the output power per ohm on its specs.. remember that HD 600 is 300 Ω

im currently using Nuforce Icon Dac 249 mW @ 300 ohm

post #8447 of 9258

STX is more than enough for HD600s or HD800s. It's a "basic" calculation which people who are into electronics can figure out in 5 minutes.

post #8448 of 9258

Remember there is a difference between "nominal" impedance given by the manufacturer (300ohms for HD600) and "real" impedance vs. frequency.

Impedance of HD600 is around 550ohms within 100hz region so it has an impact on the bass when not properly driven.

post #8449 of 9258

Most of these TI 6120a2 headphone amps on sound cards are pretty bad for the HD600. I can easily hear an improvement with my DACport and my desktop system is in another league altogether.  And when I use my RCA out of the soundcard into the desktop amp it's the same thing - a big difference between the external amp and the headphone out. I couldn't live without an external amp - even if it's a cheap one. The HD600 deserves at least a good cheap solid state amp or a cheap OTL amp like a tube rolled Vallhalla2 or the Crack.


Edited by eugenius - 8/29/14 at 1:00am
post #8450 of 9258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
 

STX is coming tomorrow, HD600's will be here Saturday. The STX is good enough, right? I went with this due to microphone input as well. Better than my onboard mic port. Grabbed the STX off ebay for $100. 

 

 

Try by yourself some are allready saying that it will sound bad etc , peraphs they didn't liked the combo , but it don't mean that the STX onboard amp is bad , give a try with nothing on mind , and you will have the answer if HD600 and STX are a good match for you .

 

HD600 don't need tons of mW .


Edited by HaVoC-28 - 8/29/14 at 3:07am
post #8451 of 9258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolinho View Post
 

Remember there is a difference between "nominal" impedance given by the manufacturer (300ohms for HD600) and "real" impedance vs. frequency.

Impedance of HD600 is around 550ohms within 100hz region so it has an impact on the bass when not properly driven.

That depends on how the sensitivity varies with voltage and frequency. If one uses an amp with a very high output impedance, then the impedance curve can have an affect on bass, but nobody uses amps with output impedances high enough to cause such problems with an HD600.

post #8452 of 9258

Reviews say the output impedance on the headphone out of the STX is no more than 11 ohms.

post #8453 of 9258

StanD, for me it was like an amp could have enough power to manage 300ohm but not the double , but maybe I'm wrong :smile:

post #8454 of 9258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post
 

 

 

Try by yourself some are allready saying that it will sound bad etc , peraphs they didn't liked the combo , but it don't mean that the STX onboard amp is bad , give a try with nothing on mind , and you will have the answer if HD600 and STX are a good match for you .

 

HD600 don't need tons of mW .

That's right they are more sensitive than most people realize, The HD600's SPL is 112dB per Volt or 106.8 dB per mW.

So one can get to 120 dB SPL with 21 mW using an amp that can reach 2.5 V RMS.

post #8455 of 9258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolinho View Post
 

StanD, for me it was like an amp could have enough power to manage 300ohm but not the double , but maybe I'm wrong :smile:

That has to do with power, voltage and sensitivity.

A properly operating amp delivers voltage based upon the input signal, the power demands are based upon voltage and impedance. If the amp cannot deliver the power required at the given voltage/impedance load then you have a problem. The thing is at a given voltage, if the impedance goes up, then the power requirement actually goes down, So if an amp can deliver enough power at 300 Ohms, increasing the impedance will not demand more power.

The real question becomes, "How does the sensitivity of the headphone for V or mW at low frequencies come into play?" The specs given are usually at 1 KHz. In any case this doesn't change the fact that as impedance increases the power demand decreases.

P = E2 / R

Where P is watts, E is Volts RMS and R is in Ohms. So you can see that if R increases P decreases. If you don't touch the volume dial then E does not change.

post #8456 of 9258
I nominate Stan for being the leader of this thread. Always great, no nonsense posts. Vote StanD!
post #8457 of 9258
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

That's right they are more sensitive than most people realize, The HD600's SPL is 112dB per Volt or 106.8 dB per mW.

So one can get to 120 dB SPL with 21 mW using an amp that can reach 2.5 V RMS.

 

Hum i think you picked up HD598 sensitivity .

HD600 => 97 mW/dB   //   102 dB/V .    

For reaching 120 dB it needs something around 200mw  and 7.95v .


Edited by HaVoC-28 - 8/29/14 at 6:56am
post #8458 of 9258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post
 

 

Hum i think you picked up HD598 sensitivity .

HD600 => 97 mW/dB   //   102 dB/V .    

For reaching 120 dB it needs something around 200mw  and 7.95v .

That sounds about right for the sensitivity.

post #8459 of 9258
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

That's right they are more sensitive than most people realize, The HD600's SPL is 112dB per Volt or 106.8 dB per mW.

So one can get to 120 dB SPL with 21 mW using an amp that can reach 2.5 V RMS.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post
 

 

Hum i think you picked up HD598 sensitivity .

HD600 => 97 mW/dB   //   102 dB/V .    

For reaching 120 dB it needs something around 200mw  and 7.95v .

Nope, I'm correct, the below is copied and pasted directly from the HD600's specification taken from the Product Sheet (PDF) from Sennheiser's website. You can get that yourself if you wish.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/downloads/92eb813de08987eaedf66b9777bd6bdc.pdf

Characteristic SPL .....................................112 dB (at 1 kHz, 1 Vrms)

Edit: The HD598 happens to have the same sensitivity but at a different impedance, 50 Ohms.


Edited by StanD - 8/29/14 at 7:32am
post #8460 of 9258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post
 

 

Hum i think you picked up HD598 sensitivity .

HD600 => 97 mW/dB   //   102 dB/V .    

For reaching 120 dB it needs something around 200mw  and 7.95v .

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post
 

That sounds about right for the sensitivity.

Nope. See my my response, just prior to this post.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread