Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 562

post #8416 of 12000
I am admittedly skeptical that an IEM under 500-600 dollars could sound as good as a properly amped, large, over ear wonderful sounding HD 600. But I cannot dispute it either because I've never heard RE 272.
post #8417 of 12000
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterpastor View Post

I am admittedly skeptical that an IEM under 500-600 dollars could sound as good as a properly amped, large, over ear wonderful sounding HD 600. But I cannot dispute it either because I've never heard RE 272.

Considering that the Shure SE846 (it's cheaper than the HD800) sounds better than the HD800, it should be possible to find an IEM that sounds better than the HD600 at that price range.

post #8418 of 12000
I've just ordered the hifiman RE-400 for a more neutral sound like the hd600 for on the go . I've always enjoyed the se535 but found the treble a bit dull and now I have ie800 Which are fun but can be a little overpowering in the bass with some material. Will let you know how it compares to hd600 ( ps I don't expect it to come close , the hd600 is near perfect for me )
post #8419 of 12000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs28 View Post

Considering that the Shure SE846 (it's cheaper than the HD800) sounds better than the HD800, it should be possible to find an IEM that sounds better than the HD600 at that price range.

The se846 are great iems that certainly would sound different to the hd800 or hd600 but better is subjective. They seem to have to much bass like the ie800 which makes them good for on the move and a fun sound but not as a reference sound . not many can beat the hd600 or hd800 for a neutral reference sound.
post #8420 of 12000
The SE 846 is better than the HD 800? Whoa, I didn't see that one coming. Suffice it to say that we all like different things, we all hear different things, and my viewpoint is just the perspective of a complete stranger online. Nothing more than that.

Back to the subject, I love my HD 600s. Just a Sony minishelf receiver and a Vali hybrid tube amp, and I am more than happy. I think the sound is phenomenal. I also have the HD 650, but with this particular amp, they sound way more similar than different.
post #8421 of 12000

I have not heard a single IEM, custom or not, that can compare with a good fullsize open headphone of a comparable quality. Resolution and detail may be comparable, but soundstage and presentation can't be matched. IEMs are at an inherant disadvantage.

post #8422 of 12000

SE846 also has a very different sound signature than the HD800. Way more bass, and treble is much more rolled off above 10k. Plus HD800 soundstage is huge - no IEM comes close, and most full sized headphones don't either.

post #8423 of 12000

If any of you are interested in closed headphones, the Alpha Dogs are a great choice at $600.

 

I used some of my income tax return on that this year since I am a broke college student and do not quite understand the amount of money some people dispose in search of that "higher power" of audio. Just when you think you've heard the latest and greatest then there is something new. 

 

Let's just say at $600 the Alpha Dog put the other big dogs in their place.

 

http://headfonics.com/2014/08/12-flagship-headphones-compared-the-totl-guide/

 

This is an interesting article that goes pretty in depth. I don't agree on all his points, especially the one about the Beyer T1, but everything else is logical to me. It really praises the AD which I was wondering about how they stacked up against the $1000+ cans.

post #8424 of 12000

Well thanks for letting us know but this seems more like an ad than a comparison or experience. According to your signature you don't own a HD600 and the HD600 isn't mentioned in your linked article.

post #8425 of 12000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldgroot View Post
 

Well thanks for letting us know but this seems more like an ad than a comparison or experience. According to your signature you don't own a HD600 and the HD600 isn't mentioned in your linked article.

I guess HD800 is closer to HD600 since many people were bringing that up and the SS. I will kindly escape this thread before I bring up the DT880 and how similar I believe it sounds to the HD600 which I have heard more than a few times. 


Edited by wahsmoh - 8/27/14 at 4:55am
post #8426 of 12000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post

I guess HD800 is closer to HD600 since many people were bringing that up and the SS. I will kindly escape this thread before I bring up the DT880 and how similar I believe it sounds to the HD600 which I have heard more than a few times. 

DT880 and HD600 don't sound remotely similar IMO. Up until very recently I owned both and had both for an extended period of time (several years). The main reason I kept both was because of the contrasting sound.
post #8427 of 12000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post


DT880 and HD600 don't sound remotely similar IMO. Up until very recently I owned both and had both for an extended period of time (several years). The main reason I kept both was because of the contrasting sound.


I completely agree with this.  As good as they both are, they sound *incredibly* different. 

post #8428 of 12000

On the contrast thing , for me it's more enjoyable switching beetween HD650 and DT880 . It's what i am doing now , my HD600 is at friend's home for some months for longue terme evaluation and peraphs ending to sell it to him .

 

If i had to keep only one headphone it would be the HD600 , T1 is for me not worth it in comparison to DT880 unless i had some extra cash . Furthemore i prefered the HD600 in many ways to T1 :p (naturalness , tonal balance , timbre accuracy etc)

 

So i can understand why wahsmoh found HD600 and DT880 somewhat similars . Also depending on the system used , they can be more similar/different sounding , on my O² the difference what no enough to keep both , but it is with HD650 as said before) .


Edited by HaVoC-28 - 8/27/14 at 6:37am
post #8429 of 12000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post
 

On the contrast thing , for me it's more enjoyable switching beetween HD650 and DT880 . It's what i am doing now , my HD600 is at friend's home for some months for longue terme evaluation and peraphs ending to sell it to him .

 

If i had to keep only one headphone it would be the HD600 , T1 is for me not worth it in comparison to DT880 unless i had some extra cash . Furthemore i prefered the HD600 in many ways to T1 :p (naturalness , tonal balance , timbre accuracy etc)

 

So i can understand why wahsmoh found HD600 and DT880 somewhat similars . Also depending on the system used , they can be more similar/different sounding , on my O² the difference what no enough to keep both , but it is with HD650 as said before) .

 

I would agree that the DT880 has the "brighter" sound and the HD600 having the "warmer" mids.

 

Other than that I seriously cannot think of much that would separate the two headphones besides comfort and clamp. They both have similar bass, the DT880 I would say having the "deeper" low end, and the HD600 having more quantity of bass overall.

 

I've heard an HD650 recabled with pure silver cables and they honestly sounded a lot like DT880s with better bass and a hair less treble, but no "veil" to be found.

 

I really don't see how people find these headphones to be polar opposites because they really are not. 

post #8430 of 12000

The DT880 is still a typical Beyerdynamic and has the annoying treble spike (the 600ohm less so). If you don't mind that, more power to you, I can't stand it. I agree the DT880 is tighter and the bass is more extended but the treble spike makes it inferior to the HD600.

 

I so want a HD600 with angled drivers and better bass extension. It doesn't even need the fancy HD800 driver, it just needs to be a good headphone - something the HD700 isn't.

 

The HD700 was supposed to be the angled headphone with a HD6x0 level driver ... do not get the HD700 as an upgrade from the HD600, you're going to be sorry. :(

 

The HD800 is an upgrade but keep your HD600.


Edited by eugenius - 8/27/14 at 4:38pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread