Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 526

post #7876 of 8127
As long as you use good compression ie 256 AAC or good 320 mp3 you won't notice any difference from lossless. Like others have said the recording and headphone have the biggest impact on the sq. Best thing to do is rip your favourite cd twice, once lossless and then 320 Kbps and use an ABX software to see if you can tell the difference objectively. I tried this and couldn't so I don't worry about good compression anymore.
post #7877 of 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

As long as you use good compression ie 256 AAC or good 320 mp3 you won't notice any difference from lossless. Like others have said the recording and headphone have the biggest impact on the sq. Best thing to do is rip your favourite cd twice, once lossless and then 320 Kbps and use an ABX software to see if you can tell the difference objectively. I tried this and couldn't so I don't worry about good compression anymore.
You mention good compression a couple of times. I thought 320kbps was 320kbps? Have you come across bad 320kbps?
Edited by krismusic - 6/17/14 at 10:55am
post #7878 of 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post


You mention good compression a couple of times. I thought 320kbps was 320kbps? Have you come across bad 320kbps?

 

Yes.  There are some good 128 that sound better than 256 for example.  Depends on which encoder you use.  Also sometimes there are settings for fast and slow, just depends.  For example for AAC you can do 320 two pass, slower, better quality.  Though I doubt I could tell the difference between CBR 320 and 2-pass 320.


Edited by SSandDigital - 6/17/14 at 11:35am
post #7879 of 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSandDigital View Post
 

 

Yes.  There are some good 128 that sound better than 256 for example.  Depends on which encoder you use.  Also sometimes there are settings for fast and slow, just depends.  For example for AAC you can do 320 two pass, slower, better quality.

 

LAME V0 is all you need. I use V2 for portable.

post #7880 of 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

You mention good compression a couple of times. I thought 320kbps was 320kbps? Have you come across bad 320kbps?

I've not personally heard bad 320 compression but apparently the old encoders were poor and they are the reason compression in General got a bad rep. I suppose saying good compression was misleading, all modern compression formats will be plenty good enough at high enough bit rates. I took part in the Philips golden ears challenge on their website and the 160 Kbps artefacts test was extremely difficult but I did pass it eventually. Based on that my personal minimum 'good enough' is 240 Kbps and when I ABX AT 240kbps vs lossless I can't pass.
post #7881 of 8127

Use whatever works for you.  We all have different needs.  The 600s will mirror what you put into them quite admirably.

post #7882 of 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophiel View Post
 

care to explain?

the build quality is awful

 

my first t1 had tons of distortions, replaced it and now the new one started with new wonderful things.

 

if you want problems go ahead and buy it.

post #7883 of 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy3134 View Post
 

the build quality is awful

 

my first t1 had tons of distortions, replaced it and now the new one started with new wonderful things.

 

if you want problems go ahead and buy it.

 

That sucks. I have a new DT990 Pro that is flawless, and they can't get their flagship right?

post #7884 of 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
 

 

That sucks. I have a new DT990 Pro that is flawless, and they can't get their flagship right?

He's talking about the Aune T1 amp - not the Beyer T1 headphone.

 

The build quality on the Beyer T1 is (IMO) what you'd expect from a flagship - very good. 

post #7885 of 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

He's talking about the Aune T1 amp - not the Beyer T1 headphone.

 

The build quality on the Beyer T1 is (IMO) what you'd expect from a flagship - very good. 


Woops, my mistake.

post #7886 of 8127

So I got my HD-600s 4 years ago and decided to pick up some HD-650s a few months back. One for the house, another pair for work :)

 

When I first tried the 650s I went "wow - these are so much more fun than the 600s...and I LOVE the 600s! This is amazing". Immediately purchased them. (For the record, I also tried out some non-sennheisers and decided that I had either been groomed to prefer "senn sound" after 4 years of 600s (+2 of 555s?) or that senn sound was just legit better....but a lot of the other cans that I tried out just didn't do it for me).

 

Anyways, so I got these 650s and after a bit I decided that, actually, it was the 600s that truly shined. The "funness" of the 650s actually got a bit annoying after a while. I can't explain it but it kinda made me feel a little claustrophobic when listening to music on the 650s at home. When I would go to work and listen to the 600s I felt so much more relaxed and free.

 

For sure both cans are [i]excellent[/i] and if I only had the 650s I wouldn't be unhappy with them. But I can now finally have my own opinion in the "600 vs 650" debate: the 600s win for me.

 

You should all be proud of owning a pair of HD-600s. I recommend you give a 650 a listen to see for yourself. I almost guarantee that you'll prefer the 650s at first but that after a bit you'll come to miss your 600s.

post #7887 of 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
 

So I got my HD-600s 4 years ago and decided to pick up some HD-650s a few months back. One for the house, another pair for work :)

 

When I first tried the 650s I went "wow - these are so much more fun than the 600s...and I LOVE the 600s! This is amazing". Immediately purchased them. (For the record, I also tried out some non-sennheisers and decided that I had either been groomed to prefer "senn sound" after 4 years of 600s (+2 of 555s?) or that senn sound was just legit better....but a lot of the other cans that I tried out just didn't do it for me).

 

Anyways, so I got these 650s and after a bit I decided that, actually, it was the 600s that truly shined. The "funness" of the 650s actually got a bit annoying after a while. I can't explain it but it kinda made me feel a little claustrophobic when listening to music on the 650s at home. When I would go to work and listen to the 600s I felt so much more relaxed and free.

 

For sure both cans are [i]excellent[/i] and if I only had the 650s I wouldn't be unhappy with them. But I can now finally have my own opinion in the "600 vs 650" debate: the 600s win for me.

 

You should all be proud of owning a pair of HD-600s. I recommend you give a 650 a listen to see for yourself. I almost guarantee that you'll prefer the 650s at first but that after a bit you'll come to miss your 600s.


That is exactly why I have both.:beyersmile:

post #7888 of 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 


That is exactly why I have both.:beyersmile:

I got an HE-500 to add to the HD600. The Planar is very interesting, but heavy.

post #7889 of 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I got an HE-500 to add to the HD600. The Planar is very interesting, but heavy.

What gets the most head time? I'm thinking of downgrading my HE-500 to HD600 to free up some cash... undecided

post #7890 of 8127
Hardly a downgrade. I had 500s here for a while. I chose the hd600 over them. The 500s lack of clarity on top was the deciding factor for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread