or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 506

post #7576 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJNeg View Post
 

 

Sounds like you've never heard the HD600 out of some top-tier gear. The HD600 scales incredibly well, along with the best out there (HD800, Hifiman, Audeze, etc.)

 

Perhaps what you're trying to say is that the HD600 doesn't need expensive upstream to sound great. I agree with that. But better electronics (both amplification and D/A) yield obvious improvements with the HD600.

Oh I've spent extended comparisons on very expensive top flight equipment with my HD600, HE-500 and other upscale cans my friends own. One hears obvious improvements if they are expecting to, that's the way humans work, Auditory memory is very short and we are too easily influenced by suggestion. I have A/B compared equipment using switches and having matched volume levels (very important) and found the most obvious differences due to tubes having more even order harmonics (as expected). Once one has an amp with low distortion, flat FR, proper driving capability for the desired load (cans/impedance) one has reached their listening destination.

Many manufacturers do not properly state their specs or are deceptive. Few if any disclose transient  (TIM) specs and many leave of IM specs. IM and clipping are easy to hear. TIM requires more skill, but once you learn to hear it, there is no problem with that. As it stands most quality manufacturers do an excellent job.

A human's ability to hear distortion is not as great as most people think. and most quality amps far exceed this to the point of only benefiting lab equipment and IMO susceptible people.

IMO, unless you need a great deal of wattage for a can like an HE-6, one need not spend a wad of cash unless they are looking for extra features, build quality, styling, bragging rights and so on.

These are my opinions, I am not forcing anyone to think other than they wish. My ears are very well tuned and my imagination under control.

post #7577 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

Oh I've spent extended comparisons on very expensive top flight equipment with my HD600, HE-500 and other upscale cans my friends own. One hears obvious improvements if they are expecting to, that's the way humans work, Auditory memory is very short and we are too easily influenced by suggestion. I have A/B compared equipment using switches and having matched volume levels (very important) and found the most obvious differences due to tubes having more even order harmonics (as expected). Once one has an amp with low distortion, flat FR, proper driving capability for the desired load (cans/impedance) one has reached their listening destination.
Many manufacturers do not properly state their specs or are deceptive. Few if any disclose transient  (TIM) specs and many leave of IM specs. IM and clipping are easy to hear. TIM requires more skill, but once you learn to hear it, there is no problem with that. As it stands most quality manufacturers do an excellent job.
A human's ability to hear distortion is not as great as most people think. and most quality amps far exceed this to the point of only benefiting lab equipment and IMO susceptible people.
IMO, unless you need a great deal of wattage for a can like an HE-6, one need not spend a wad of cash unless they are looking for extra features, build quality, styling, bragging rights and so on.
These are my opinions, I am not forcing anyone to think other than they wish. My ears are very well tuned and my imagination under control.

Very well said.
post #7578 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post


Very well said.

And I say this often to bring balance and inform those that may need to hear all sides of the issue.

post #7579 of 17101
It's good advice.
post #7580 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post

Very well said.

+1

A good example of this is the Philips test that many have recently experienced. The test includes blatant and purposely inserted distortion, noise, EQ, and other anomalies on the order of 10, 20, 30 dB and more and while it is detectible, nobody has really pointed out that in the real world, the differences between amps, DAC's, etc. are in the order of tenths or even hundredths of a dB. In other words... If you have to sit in the lotus position and squint your eyes and re-listen to a music clip 30 times to detect 12 dB of noise at the noise floor, why are we arguing over an amp that has a noise level of 0.03 dB vs another amp that has 0.07 dB?

Listen to two level-matched amps side-by-side and they sound the same but listen to them at random volumes individually for a week each and somehow one is now easily identifiable as warmer, faster, smoother, more euphonic, etc? A little reality check is in order...

Buy the best headphones you can afford. If they are hard to drive, get an amp that has the power/output impedance to drive them the way you want. If that amp costs only $120 then that's all you need to spend. And yes, my $1500 HD 800 sounds amazing out of my $600 Asus Essence One and $200 Bottlehead Crack.
Edited by palmfish - 5/11/14 at 10:42am
post #7581 of 17101

I always level match by ear and verify with a mic. The differences are still there unfortunately.

post #7582 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

+1

A good example of this is the Philips test that many have recently experienced. The test includes blatant and purposely inserted distortion, noise, EQ, and other anomalies on the order of 10, 20, 30 dB and more and while it is detectible, nobody has really pointed out that in the real world, the differences between amps, DAC's, etc. are in the order of tenths or even hundredths of a dB. In other words... If you have to sit in the lotus position and squint your eyes and re-listen to a music clip 30 times to detect 12 dB of noise at the noise floor, why are we arguing over an amp that has a noise level of 0.03 dB vs another amp that has 0.07 dB?

Listen to two level-matched amps side-by-side and they sound the same but listen to them at random volumes individually for a week each and somehow one is now easily identifiable as warmer, faster, smoother, more euphonic, etc? A little reality check is in order...

Buy the beat headphones you can afford. If they are hard to drive, get an amp that has the power/output impedance to drive them the way you want. If that amp costs only $120 then that's all you need to spend. And yes, my $1500 HD 800 sounds amazing out of my $600 Asus Essence One and $200 Bottlehead Crack.
I'm sure you don't really want us to buy Beat headphones!smily_headphones1.gif
post #7583 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

my imagination under control.
How did you manage that?!!!
post #7584 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

I'm sure you don't really want us to buy Beat headphones!smily_headphones1.gif

I couldnt have messed that up better if I had planned it...lol.

Corrected the typo but we have your quote for posterity biggrin.gif
post #7585 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post


How did you manage that?!!!

I was trained by the CIA to resist mind control. Are you enjoying your new pair of Beats? :D

I hope Apple really isn't about to set the world back a centuary by buying out Beats, oh stick a fork in my ears. The world doesn't need DrePods or a set of DreEarPods.


Edited by StanD - 5/11/14 at 11:14am
post #7586 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

I couldnt have messed that up better if I had planned it...lol.

Corrected the typo but we have your quote for posterity biggrin.gif
Your Freudian slip was showing! Like what you are saying in the rest of your post though.
post #7587 of 17101

Must.  Buy.  Beats.

 

Understood.  

 

Over.

post #7588 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

I was trained by the CIA to resist mind control. Are you enjoying your new pair of Beats? biggrin.gif
I hope Apple really isn't about to set the world back a centuary by buying out Beats, oh stick a fork in my ears. The world doesn't need DrePods or a set of DreEarPods.
A shame that Apple doesn't use some of its insane amount of wealth to develop their own product rather than throw money at Dre. Maybe they could come up with an earbud that doesn't leak. An even greater shame that Apple obviously don't care about SQ. Now where are my Beats by JH? Actually, don't even joke about it!
post #7589 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post
 

Must.  Buy.  Beats.

 

Understood.  

 

Over.

Stare into the pinwheel and repeat after me, "These are spectacular, they are the endgame for the aurally challenged."

post #7590 of 17101
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post


A shame that Apple doesn't use some of its insane amount of wealth to develop their own product rather than throw money at Dre. Maybe they could come up with an earbud that doesn't leak. An even greater shame that Apple obviously don't care about SQ. Now where are my Beats by JH? Actually, don't even joke about it!

Heck, don't beat yourself up over it. I'd rather stuff my ears with Haggis than put money into that highwayman's loot bag.

He is a testament to my signature.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread