Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 6

post #76 of 8700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 View Post

So... Are there any cheaper alternatives to the Cardas cable? 

 

Also, I'm going to buy a dedicated amp. I have an E7 which is doing an average job I suppose, but I am deciding between buying an E9 to go with it, or spending much more money on something like a Burson, Yulong or maybe some Tubes. The most I want to spend is around $250 I suppose. 



I wouldn't even be thinking about an aftermarket cable until I got a better DAC and amp. My previous recommendation was the Musiland 02US if you're on a budget.


 

I totally agree.  Money is much better spent on a quality source and amp rather than cable from experience.  I am using a cardas cable now but I got it mostly because it has a right angle plug that works well with bottlehead amps.

post #77 of 8700

Are you saying sonic wise - the Cardas cable does not improve the sound? I am about to buy the HD600 and the cardas cable next week - please advise - I can totally afford it - but if there is negligible difference in SQ or build - then I won't buy it...

post #78 of 8700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan25 View Post

Are you saying sonic wise - the Cardas cable does not improve the sound? I am about to buy the HD600 and the cardas cable next week - please advise - I can totally afford it - but if there is negligible difference in SQ or build - then I won't buy it...

Some people say they improve sq by 3%. some say 25%. If you buy it then you'll have to make that decision for yourself how much they change sq. Certainly they'd last longer than stock HD600 cables though
 

post #79 of 8700

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssavage View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan25 View Post

Are you saying sonic wise - the Cardas cable does not improve the sound? I am about to buy the HD600 and the cardas cable next week - please advise - I can totally afford it - but if there is negligible difference in SQ or build - then I won't buy it...

Some people say they improve sq by 3%. some say 25%. If you buy it then you'll have to make that decision for yourself how much they change sq. Certainly they'd last longer than stock HD600 cables though
 


That's a good answer to your question by ssavage. I personally think cable differences become more meaninful (and noticeable) the better your other equipment is. Low-end equipment masks the already subtle improvements gained from cables.

 

I'm a huge cable believer, but I'm also a believer in prioritizing according to the magnitude of improvement that each component yields. Headphones first, then amp, DAC/transport/source and then finally cables. The importance of DACs and amps changes according to the specs of the headphones. Cables, OTOH, will usually yield the smallest improvements IME (unless you're replacing a defective wire).

post #80 of 8700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan25 View Post

Are you saying sonic wise - the Cardas cable does not improve the sound? I am about to buy the HD600 and the cardas cable next week - please advise - I can totally afford it - but if there is negligible difference in SQ or build - then I won't buy it...


The build quality is certainly nice and I enjoy the aesthetics it provides but I would say the impact in sound is better achieved in other area's which for me is tubes.

post #81 of 8700

I was just curious about the Cardas. I'm not even close to being convinced enough to spring for one.

 

I'm more interested in an amp/DAC. Are tubes better for tuning the sound? If I want a little brighter treble for example, should a tube amp be the way to go? Maybe a hybrid? Again, I'm looking for $200-300. I realize that I can use the E7 as a DAC into something else, but I don't really want to do that. The E9 would be cheap, but I think there's better out there. Also, where is the Musiland available?

post #82 of 8700


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 View Post

I was just curious about the Cardas. I'm not even close to being convinced enough to spring for one.

 

I'm more interested in an amp/DAC. Are tubes better for tuning the sound? If I want a little brighter treble for example, should a tube amp be the way to go? Maybe a hybrid? Again, I'm looking for $200-300. I realize that I can use the E7 as a DAC into something else, but I don't really want to do that. The E9 would be cheap, but I think there's better out there. Also, where is the Musiland available?

 


Well...  This is just what I've read, not my own personal experience - but it would seem that the E7 would be holding back the E9, actually - whether or not that is audible with the HD 600 is another thing (I was reading about this in relation to the HE-4).

 

I think my number one choice for a USB DAC if I didn't already have the uDAC would be the new E-Mu 0204.  It's got the same DAC section as the 0404, which is very highly regarded.

 

Now, with any amp you could always get a new DAC to run it with, so that's something to consider.  The E7 by itself is said to be a better DAC than amp, so it would make sense to upgrade the amp first - whether it is to an E9, E11 (if portable use is the main concern), Asgard, or whatever.

post #83 of 8700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeardBen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 View Post
 
Also, where is the Musiland available?

 

 


I think my number one choice for a USB DAC if I didn't already have the uDAC would be the new E-Mu 0204.  It's got the same DAC section as the 0404, which is very highly regarded.



Having had experience with the Emu 0404 (I used to be into soundcards), I can safely say the Musiland 02US is a clear step up, and cheaper to boot.

 

As for the bolded: it's available at many places including eBay. Just look for any trusted seller. I bought mine from coolfungadget here: http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Digital-Sound-Card-Musiland-Monitor-02-US-ASIO-/260616887126

post #84 of 8700
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post


Having had experience with the Emu 0404 (I used to be into soundcards), I can safely say the Musiland 02US is a clear step up, and cheaper to boot.

 

As for the bolded: it's available at many places including eBay. Just look for any trusted seller. I bought mine from coolfungadget here: http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Digital-Sound-Card-Musiland-Monitor-02-US-ASIO-/260616887126



Wait, were you using the internal one?  And were you using it as an amp too, or just as a DAC?

post #85 of 8700

Is the Musiland an amp too?

post #86 of 8700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeardBen View Post



Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post


Having had experience with the Emu 0404 (I used to be into soundcards), I can safely say the Musiland 02US is a clear step up, and cheaper to boot.

 

As for the bolded: it's available at many places including eBay. Just look for any trusted seller. I bought mine from coolfungadget here: http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Digital-Sound-Card-Musiland-Monitor-02-US-ASIO-/260616887126



Wait, were you using the internal one?  And were you using it as an amp too, or just as a DAC?


External. I was using its own headphone out, though I remember testing its DAC too and it came out short when compared to the Asus Essence STX (with many opamps...my favourite being 3x LME49720NA). Then I came across the Musiland to use it for its USB-to-SPDIF conversion when I realized that it was significantly better as a DAC and amp than the STX (which was a bit better than the 0404).

 

 

Quote:
. Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 View Post

Is the Musiland an amp too?

 

Yes.

 

BTW, I do want to point out that I thought the 02US had more synergy with the HD650s than the HD600s, though both sounded good from it especially considering its price.

post #87 of 8700

Good. I'm considering heavily. I haven't had a real set of cans ever, just IEM's and some HD448's so this is a big step up. I've been around a while but never had to seriously look at amps before.

post #88 of 8700
hi, quick question..

Is hd580 and hd600 really identical? If it is so, is there any information or evidence proofing this theory?
post #89 of 8700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 View Post

So... Are there any cheaper alternatives to the Cardas cable? 

 


Yes, keeping the stock cable.  biggrin.gif  Since no one has shown an ability to blindly discriminate cables, you'll do much better saving your pennies for a dac & amp.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 View Post

 

Also, I'm going to buy a dedicated amp. I have an E7 which is doing an average job I suppose, but I am deciding between buying an E9 to go with it, or spending much more money on something like a Burson, Yulong or maybe some Tubes. The most I want to spend is around $250 I suppose. 

 

The HD600 are fairly warm and treble-light headphones- for this reason I find that they do slightly worse with a tube amp, which emphasize these qualities more.  Out my SS amp they sound more balanced and detailed.  For the same reason, avoid NOS dacs, which will chop off the top 1/2 of the recorded frequency spectrum.

post #90 of 8700

or an HD650 cable which is like 15 through senn
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucariote View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 View Post

So... Are there any cheaper alternatives to the Cardas cable? 

 


Yes, keeping the stock cable.  biggrin.gif  Since no one has shown an ability to blindly discriminate cables, you'll do much better saving your pennies for a dac & amp.
 

 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread