Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 458

post #6856 of 9643
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
 


Tubes?  There's almost a hundred years of scientific documentation on tubes.  Please ...

 

And...

 

and many more years of folks believing religiously...

 

You have a point?


Edited by perhapss - 3/1/14 at 9:31pm
post #6857 of 9643

Guys, any idea for DT 990 Pro 250 ohm compared to HD 600?

post #6858 of 9643
Alright, i'm giving in.

After months and months of looking for an alternative and blah blah blah neutral blah blah treble and blah transparent... I'm going to get a tube amp for my HD600.

I wish i could get the Crack, but i am just not going to get into the soldering and stuff. So these are my two choices(after weeks of research):

Little Dot MKIII - they are said to perform very well with the HD600 and offer amazing value at their price point. In fact, i was sure i was going to get these until a short time ago, when i hear about...

Project Sunrise III - the already built version is overall $20 more than the LD, i have heard very good comments from it, and it is a DIY amp in the mold of the Crack, just that it cam be ordered built for $50 more than the kit price. I've read that it's performance is awesome for the price.

So... Do i just go for the sure with the LD or anybody has any experience with the Sunrise? Or any tube amp below $270 for the HD600.
post #6859 of 9643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suguru103 View Post

Alright, i'm giving in.

After months and months of looking for an alternative and blah blah blah neutral blah blah treble and blah transparent... I'm going to get a tube amp for my HD600.

I wish i could get the Crack, but i am just not going to get into the soldering and stuff. So these are my two choices(after weeks of research):

Little Dot MKIII - they are said to perform very well with the HD600 and offer amazing value at their price point. In fact, i was sure i was going to get these until a short time ago, when i hear about...

Project Sunrise III - the already built version is overall $20 more than the LD, i have heard very good comments from it, and it is a DIY amp in the mold of the Crack, just that it cam be ordered built for $50 more than the kit price. I've read that it's performance is awesome for the price.

So... Do i just go for the sure with the LD or anybody has any experience with the Sunrise? Or any tube amp below $270 for the HD600.

Don't really understand why tube amps are still around. If they sound different from SS it is most likely due to distortion, non-flat response or some other design flaw. Seems like a band-aid approach for a transducer defect. Headphones or speakers too bright? Get an amp that rolls off the treble and gives the impression of depth by adding distortion. But, if you must, check out http://schiit.com/products/vali. Its a tube version of the Magni and only $119.

 

Tim

post #6860 of 9643

I've ordered my "La Figaro 339" for my HD600. Very excited. Can't wait for it to come in.

post #6861 of 9643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post

Don't really understand why tube amps are still around. If they sound different from SS it is most likely due to distortion, non-flat response or some other design flaw. Seems like a band-aid approach for a transducer defect. Headphones or speakers too bright? Get an amp that rolls off the treble and gives the impression of depth by adding distortion. But, if you must, check out http://schiit.com/products/vali. Its a tube version of the Magni and only $119.

Tim
I agree with you about tube amps. Why go for outdated technology?
post #6862 of 9643

Because some people like the colouration to the sound tubes provide. 

post #6863 of 9643
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

I've ordered my "La Figaro 339" for my HD600. Very excited. Can't wait for it to come in.

 

Awesome.  I'd like to now what you think...this amp should sing its high praises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

Because some people like the colouration to the sound tubes provide. 

 

Or maybe...just maybe, that there is a compressional effect to the sound which matches compressional effects that atmosphere has on live acoustic instruments?  Electron waves traveling through empty vacuum may well have the same effects of soundwaves traversing the empty atmosphere?

post #6864 of 9643
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post

Awesome.  I'd like to now what you think...this amp should sing its high praises.

Or maybe...just maybe, that there is a compressional effect to the sound which matches compressional effects that atmosphere has on live acoustic instruments?  Electron waves traveling through empty vacuum may well have the same effects of soundwaves traversing the empty atmosphere?
Count me out! smily_headphones1.gif
post #6865 of 9643
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post

 

Or maybe...just maybe, that there is a compressional effect to the sound which matches compressional effects that atmosphere has on live acoustic instruments?  Electron waves traveling through empty vacuum may well have the same effects of soundwaves traversing the empty atmosphere?

 

I'd like to know more about this.

post #6866 of 9643
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

I'd like to know more about this.


A lot of good tube amps have lower distortion than a lot of good headphones...so is distortion the issue?  I don't believe so.  Look at the slew rate, or rise time of tubes and notice that the edges are slightly rounded off compared to solid state...it is what I hear, a natural musical transient event...not so sharp.

 

Electrons are forced to travel through vacuum and I don't think vacuum conducts better than the electrodes themselves...the electrons are wave signals...I think the vacuum serves as an impedance, or impediment.  How about sound waves...water conducts sound waves better than air...air has an impedance to the pressure waves.  Of course, I have no evidence...all this exists in my minds eyes.

post #6867 of 9643

Transistors and tubes both move electrons.  The difference is tubes have third and fourth order harmonic distortions, which many people find pleasing because they sound more acoustically natural than a lesser-degraded signal via transistors. 

post #6868 of 9643
Intwres
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post


A lot of good tube amps have lower distortion than a lot of good headphones...so is distortion the issue?  I don't believe so.  Look at the slew rate, or rise time of tubes and notice that the edges are slightly rounded off compared to solid state...it is what I hear, a natural musical transient event...not so sharp.

Electrons are forced to travel through vacuum and I don't think vacuum conducts better than the electrodes themselves...the electrons are wave signals...I think the vacuum serves as an impedance, or impediment.  How about sound waves...water conducts sound waves better than air...air has an impedance to the pressure waves.  Of course, I have no evidence...all this exists in my minds eyes.
Interesting thoughts, i look at it another way. I see it that the recording captures the 'natural music transient event' so I want that to be reproduced as cleanly as possible. I can see the draw to tube amps though, it took me a long time to get used to the Hd800s extremely clean , clear sound. Back on topic though my hD600s are in transit and are due to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing this legendary headphone smily_headphones1.gif
post #6869 of 9643
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post
 


A lot of good tube amps have lower distortion than a lot of good headphones...so is distortion the issue?  I don't believe so.  Look at the slew rate, or rise time of tubes and notice that the edges are slightly rounded off compared to solid state...it is what I hear, a natural musical transient event...not so sharp.

 

Electrons are forced to travel through vacuum and I don't think vacuum conducts better than the electrodes themselves...the electrons are wave signals...I think the vacuum serves as an impedance, or impediment.  How about sound waves...water conducts sound waves better than air...air has an impedance to the pressure waves.  Of course, I have no evidence...all this exists in my minds eyes.

If you're talking about rounded edges, that'll be more of the soft clipping that tube amps provide. That'll be appreciated by a lead guitarist, not an audiophile. Tubes tend to have more even order harmonic distortion when operating in the linear region and that's most of the tube sound that most people seeking tube smps desire. Another aspect of the traditional tube sound is due to output transformers being nonlinear, saturating and having FR issues. This can be addressed using an OTL design or an expensive quality transformer as is done with good audiophile equipment.

Now to the statement, "Electrons are forced to travel through vacuum." Vacuum is not a conductor, period. It is the potential difference between the plate and cathode that does this. Typically the grid is used to control this flow.

post #6870 of 9643
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

Intwres
Interesting thoughts, i look at it another way. I see it that the recording captures the 'natural music transient event' so I want that to be reproduced as cleanly as possible. I can see the draw to tube amps though, it took me a long time to get used to the Hd800s extremely clean , clear sound. Back on topic though my hD600s are in transit and are due to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing this legendary headphone smily_headphones1.gif

You will NOT be dissapointed.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread