Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 411

post #6151 of 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequencies View Post
 


Yes to Crack (while I was writing Stan posted before me so..I should have quoted my reply). Me too no Speedball (but independent from this decision, I read that some (minority, only 1-2 posts somewhere) didn't notice an improvement at all, or even rather the opposite with Sp.).(not saying Sp. is bad) I hope indeed that it's a good amp. Need still a DAC too. It's going to be the Modi, will need again to wait for it.

The Modi should work just fine. It's based on the AKM4396 chip; same chip is used in the Audioengine D1, which I am currently using with the Crack. 

post #6152 of 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
 

The Modi should work just fine. It's based on the AKM4396 chip; same chip is used in the Audioengine D1, which I am currently using with the Crack. 

 

The chip itslef don't matter , it's all about it's implementation .

post #6153 of 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
 

The Modi should work just fine. It's based on the AKM4396 chip; same chip is used in the Audioengine D1, which I am currently using with the Crack. 

How are controlling volume, with the D1 or the Crack?

post #6154 of 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post
 

 

The chip itslef don't matter , it's all about it's implementation .

So, you're saying that the chip doesn't share ANY characteristics between DACs, especially budget DACs- that's simply not true. The implementation of the chip on budget DACs doesn't vary that much, at least not enough to completely change the sound.

post #6155 of 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
 

How are controlling volume, with the D1 or the Crack?

With the Crack, for the most part. I max out the volume on the D1.

post #6156 of 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
 

So, you're saying that the chip doesn't share ANY characteristics between DACs, especially budget DACs- that's simply not true. The implementation of the chip on budget DACs doesn't vary that much, at least not enough to completely change the sound.

Most decent DAC chips have good specs that are easily compromised by things as simple as the circuit layout, power supply or line out buffers. Even if the Manufacturer uses a reference design schematic, the stuff I mentioned can make a big difference. It's not hard to screw up the SNR or dynamic range. The great stuff is where experienced designers apply themselves and go the extra yard.

post #6157 of 9642

If someone was chasing a little more low-end from their HD600, and would prefer to do this with a valve amp ($400 or under)..

 

Any recommendations? 

 

(Yes, I'm well aware it's not a basshead can)

post #6158 of 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Most decent DAC chips have good specs that are easily compromised by things as simple as the circuit layout, power supply or line out buffers. Even if the Manufacturer uses a reference design schematic, the stuff I mentioned can make a big difference. It's not hard to screw up the SNR or dynamic range. The great stuff is where experienced designers apply themselves and go the extra yard.

Your point being...? Have you heard both the D1 and the Modi? Trust me, they sound a lot more alike than they do different.

post #6159 of 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Most decent DAC chips have good specs that are easily compromised by things as simple as the circuit layout, power supply or line out buffers. Even if the Manufacturer uses a reference design schematic, the stuff I mentioned can make a big difference. It's not hard to screw up the SNR or dynamic range. The great stuff is where experienced designers apply themselves and go the extra yard.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
 

Your point being...? Have you heard both the D1 and the Modi? Trust me, they sound a lot more alike than they do different.

My point is that they can also sound very different based upon the factors I gave. It depends on execution of design. Even the exact same circuit laid out differently on a PCB or a different power supply can change the game. Done well, they will sound good, perhaps very much alike.

post #6160 of 9642

lots of crack love here.  Its the top amp for the 600 in my opinion.  you have to spend a lot more to do as well.  and with rolling in what tube you want, its just fun to have.

post #6161 of 9642

Best amp for HD600's within 200$

 

O2 is best in 200$ range?

 

portable/standstill doesnt matter as long as SQ is not compromised.

post #6162 of 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo JoKeR View Post
 

Best amp for HD600's within 200$

 

O2 is best in 200$ range?

 

portable/standstill doesnt matter as long as SQ is not compromised.

It's hard to say the best and what best you're mean. O2 is a nice amp with no extra flavor for your HD600.

post #6163 of 9642

Errr :tongue:

 

HD600 = "reference class" headphone

 

I mean the "reference class" amp for "reference class" HD600

 

in 200$ :)

post #6164 of 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaBoliQu3 View Post
 

It's hard to say the best and what best you're mean. O2 is a nice amp with no extra flavor for your HD600.

 

= best IMO.

post #6165 of 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by perhapss View Post
 

 

= best IMO.

 

Tube police are lurking for sure.:tongue:

 

Reference meaning what in your opinion?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread