Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 402

post #6016 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post

LOL, I'm now enjoying some loud thrash metal on my HD600s... and before that some dubstep. And before some jazz and classic rock.
Love versatility!
That's the beautiful thing about an engineering masterpiece that is the HD600!
post #6017 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
 

Yeah but you bought the 650s so we can't really trust what you say! :D

Actually what you say makes sense if one wants more than one amp.

I always thought a tube DAC and the O2 would be a fun combo or that if I had a tube DAC, I'd want a transparent amp.

I have tube amps but still prefer 'musical' NOS DACs...so what do I know...

DACs are solid state, they use IC's not tubes. Amps can use tubes, or not.

post #6018 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
 

Been playing the HD 600 on the Magni/Modi for the last couple of hours (as opposed to my Lyr/Bifrost) and I feel fairly confident in saying this. You could buy an HD 600, a Magni, and a Modi and not ever need anything else. This could potentially be end-game material for a large majority of people.

I'll assume that the BS about the Magni being bright is just that, BS. I have an Asgard 2 and it drives my HD600's and HE-500's superbly. Those guys at Schiit aren't Schitting around.

post #6019 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

DACs are solid state, they use IC's not tubes. Amps can use tubes, or not.

 

I had tube output stage in my old Musical Fidelity X-24K DAC.

post #6020 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

DACs are solid state, they use IC's not tubes. Amps can use tubes, or not.

I was referring to DACS with tubes in the output stage e.g. Wavelength, MHDT etc.

While the conversion is done on an IC, with these one can change tubes to impact the sound that comes out of the DAC.

 

post #6021 of 9052

Then state the DAC has a tube line output stage so i's clear.

If it has a tube amp with a DAC, like a Woo WA7, then make that clear. Woo is pretty clear about it. I don't mean to sound harsh, so please don't take it that way.:D


Edited by StanD - 2/1/14 at 2:59pm
post #6022 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Then state the DAC has a tube line output stage so it's clear.

...or just call it a 'tube DAC'.

IME that is a fairly well known term for a DAC with a tube output stage.

Companies from Aune to Acoustic Arts use Tube Dac for their products:

http://www.accusticarts.com/pages/en_tube-dac_ii.html

http://en.auneaudio.com/html/en_products/NewDesign/T-Series/154_20.html

 

Back on topic, these all sound good with the HD600!

post #6023 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
 

...or just call it a 'tube DAC'.

IME that is a fairly well known term for a DAC with a tube output stage.

Companies from Aune to Acoustic Arts use Tube Dac for their products:

http://www.accusticarts.com/pages/en_tube-dac_ii.html

http://en.auneaudio.com/html/en_products/NewDesign/T-Series/154_20.html

 

Back on topic, these all sound good with the HD600!

Heck you had me envisioning a bunch of tubes switching an R-2R ladder. :D

I think the HD600's are not that hard to drive and any decent source chain will sound good with the HD600's.

post #6024 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

Heck you had me envisioning a bunch of tubes switching an R-2R ladder. biggrin.gif
I think the HD600's are not that hard to drive and any decent source chain will sound good with the HD600's.
Couldn't agree more. O2/odac (insert any other transparent dad/amp) is end game.if you want the highest fidelity possible for the human ear. If you want something different then go down the tube route. Either is fine.
post #6025 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Heck you had me envisioning a bunch of tubes switching an R-2R ladder. :D

 

Don't read my posts through your magnifying glass (avatar)...I'm not clever enough to stand up to that scrutiny!

Yes, one reason I choose the 600 over the 650 is that they are easy to drive. 

The 600s are good enough on my Audioengine D1 and just amazing on my little 2.8WPC Spud amp (as were the 650s)

:beerchug: 

post #6026 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post


(insert any other transparent dad/amp) 

What is a dad/amp? An amp can be tube or SS but not a dad!

post #6027 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

What is a dad/amp? An amp can be tube or SS but not a dad!
What ?! you've never heard a dad?! Call yourself an audiophile. Pfft! wink.gif
post #6028 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post


What ?! you've never heard a dad?! Call yourself an audiophile. Pfft! wink.gif

I call myself an audiopile

post #6029 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
 

Don't read my posts through your magnifying glass (avatar)...I'm not clever enough to stand up to that scrutiny!

Yes, one reason I choose the 600 over the 650 is that they are easy to drive. 

The 600s are good enough on my Audioengine D1 and just amazing on my little 2.8WPC Spud amp (as were the 650s)

:beerchug: 

I chose them over the 650's because I preferred their sound.Being easier to drive was a great bonus. Did you find the 650's treble to be a little too muted? I liked the extra bass but the combination of that and the muted treble didn't work for me. With the HD600's, if I EQ up the bass a little the treble and mids are still on an even keel.

post #6030 of 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I chose them over the 650's because I preferred their sound.Being easier to drive was a great bonus. Did you find the 650's treble to be a little too muted? I liked the extra bass but the combination of that and the muted treble didn't work for me. With the HD600's, if I EQ up the bass a little the treble and mids are still on an even keel.

Yes and no. The 600s sounded more dynamic, so yes, less muted...but I don't think the 650s were too muted.

The 650s sounded great with my tube amp but not as good as the 600s on my little D1 (I'm scared to call it a DAC Amp!) so to my experience it is the higher efficiency (and price) that make the 600 'better'. On the right amp they both sound great but the 600 sounds great on most amps. Now, if only it was a solid color and came with a 1/4" cable...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread