Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 378

post #5656 of 11371
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post
 

I just tried 5 Cm Per Second's soundtrack (it's an Anime OVA). The soundtrack is almost all quiet piano. Aaaand no crackle. Must have just been the other recordings. Both crackles happened on a Miyazaki soundtrack and the Girl who Leapt Through Time soundtrack. Must have just been distorted recordings. What a shame, I love those ones. I'll still listen to them, but those crackles are a tad bit annoying. 

 

My god, I'm constantly being blown away by how much detail these cans pick up. 


EDIT: You know, going back and listening...I realize that both times the crackle happen on those other ones, it's during a hard piano note and a violin string vibrating harshly at the same time. It's almost as if, both frequencies are so loud and happening at the same time, they make the crackle effect. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Either way, I'm certain it's the recording now. Because other soundtracks with strings and piano isn't making the sound. Just those ones.

If you lower the volume, do you still hear the crackle? Do you have different gain controls in your audio chain?

post #5657 of 11371
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post
 

I just tried 5 Cm Per Second's soundtrack (it's an Anime OVA). The soundtrack is almost all quiet piano. Aaaand no crackle. Must have just been the other recordings. Both crackles happened on a Miyazaki soundtrack and the Girl who Leapt Through Time soundtrack. Must have just been distorted recordings. What a shame, I love those ones. I'll still listen to them, but those crackles are a tad bit annoying. 

 

My god, I'm constantly being blown away by how much detail these cans pick up. 


EDIT: You know, going back and listening...I realize that both times the crackle happen on those other ones, it's during a hard piano note and a violin string vibrating harshly at the same time. It's almost as if, both frequencies are so loud and happening at the same time, they make the crackle effect. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Either way, I'm certain it's the recording now. Because other soundtracks with strings and piano isn't making the sound. Just those ones.

Oh well thats good news then, better to have a dodgy recording than defective hd600's. But just goes to show how transparent they are :)

post #5658 of 11371

You can get the clipping intentionally by e.g. cranking up the volume in software. Make sure it's not over 100% there. I'd also say it's not the 600.

post #5659 of 11371

Oh jeez. Yeah I'm using iTunes and it's set to 100% volume. I then adjust the knob of my Schiit Lyr. Should I have the iTunes volume set lower?


EDIT: To be clear, I don't have my Lyr cranked all the way up. Because the iTunes volume is set so high, I barely crank it up on the knob. I guess I'm probably doing this wrong. And the iTunes should be 60% volume, and I should be cranking the volume up high using the Lyr? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by frequencies View Post
 

You can get the clipping intentionally by e.g. cranking up the volume in software. Make sure it's not over 100% there. I'd also say it's not the 600.


Edited by satanigatan - 1/3/14 at 3:43pm
post #5660 of 11371

The best way to deal with using a computer as a source is to get a DAC.  That will bypass your volume control completely.  Something as simple as the $99 Schiit dad works fine.  there are lots of options with DACs.  But I do believe that is the best course to follow.  computer to DAC to amp.  I also use Audirvana as my software because it plays nice with iTunes.

post #5661 of 11371

I'm an idiot for posting on this thread as I don't have these headphones yet, but does anyone know if the HD 600 has a warmer sound than the HD 598's?

post #5662 of 11371
I believe you're doing it right, software should be set to 100% and analog volume control at your Lyr.
post #5663 of 11371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophiel View Post
 

Yep that's right :). Although to be honest I've never heard much of a difference

post #5664 of 11371

Since I'll be receiving a pair soon (Monday! Whoot!) and need a new DAC + amp anyway, what are the fan favorites for the HD600?

post #5665 of 11371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

The best way to deal with using a computer as a source is to get a DAC.  That will bypass your volume control completely.  Something as simple as the $99 Schiit dad works fine.  there are lots of options with DACs.  But I do believe that is the best course to follow.  computer to DAC to amp.  I also use Audirvana as my software because it plays nice with iTunes.

I use audirvana too, definitely an upgrade to the sound quality.
Ifor tubes, it's best not to play to low or too high their volume range to avoid distortion / imbalance.
post #5666 of 11371
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post
 

Since I'll be receiving a pair soon (Monday! Whoot!) and need a new DAC + amp anyway, what are the fan favorites for the HD600?

 

how much are you willing to spend ? 

post #5667 of 11371
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post
 

 

how much are you willing to spend ? 

 

For DAC and amp, preferably $300 or less, but I can be convinced to go up to $400.

post #5668 of 11371
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post
 

 

For DAC and amp, preferably $300 or less, but I can be convinced to go up to $400.

Can't go wrong with a Yulong DAH-1 mk2.  A used Meier Stagedac/Concerto combo is a bit above your price point, possible at $600 but could end your search and lingering upgrade-titis also.

post #5669 of 11371

Also popular are the Audio-GD, Schit or the Objective 2/Objective DAC combos.

post #5670 of 11371

i will add to the above suggestions wich are great the bottlehead crack if you are in Tubes and DIY and M-stage USB .

 

HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC as DAC if you want to spent the less possible in this area .

 

(personnaly i would go ODAC/O²) .


Edited by HaVoC-28 - 1/4/14 at 9:05am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread