Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 376

post #5626 of 7997
Quote:
Of course bottom end cheapo eBay amps are to be avoided. Most notebook DAC/Amps suck and have terrible latency

That's what I mean :) (I don't produce on PC so latency is not my issue)
 

Quote:

I can plug in my FiiO E18 portable DAC/Amp into my notebook or Galaxy S3 and it does a good job with my HD600's. Great on the go, or even when at home.

You mean "great" for the things they are, not "great" in terms of comparable to some of >1k$ DACs/amps I guess, right?

post #5627 of 7997
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequencies View Post
 

That's what I mean :) (I don't produce on PC so latency is not my issue)
 

You mean "great" for the things they are, not "great" in terms of comparable to some of >1k$ DACs/amps I guess, right?

The differences are not as dramatic as some make it out to be.

post #5628 of 7997
Quote:
The differences are not as dramatic as some make it out to be.

Which DACs/amps do you own besides the mentioned ones? I would say the diff between 2k and above is not dramatic :D and gets exponentially expensive for what ones gets. But 0.1k$ and 1k can be nice. Still it's a lot of money!..


Edited by frequencies - 1/2/14 at 8:34am
post #5629 of 7997

Ordered HD600 on New Years Eve. Went into Magnolia to try the HD650 and HD600.

They only had the HD650 but offered to order me a pair for HD600 for $300 so I bit....

Going to drive them with this Jef Larson Spud amp:

I'm looking forward to enjoying these classic cans!

post #5630 of 7997
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequencies View Post
 

Which DACs/amps do you own besides the mentioned ones? I would say the diff between 2k and above is not dramatic :D and gets exponentially expensive for what ones gets. But 0.1k$ and 1k can be nice. Still it's a lot of money!..

Most of the differences are in fancy clocking and synch circuits. I seriously doubt that anyone can hear the occasional slip of a clock pulse.

Once a certain level of distortion, an adequate slew rate, FR and drive capability has been reached, a human cannot tell the difference unless they want to imagine it.

I work on wall street and some of my coworkers don't have kids to put through fancy universities, They buy all sorts of great stuff and don't even appreciate it. My benefit it is that I get to listen to some setups that cost as much as a small car. We're not talking big differences between that and $1K complete setups. Some folks like to fiddle with specs and stories, others like bragging rights and some like listening to music.

If the testers/reviewers on magazines or zines were truthful about the magnitude of differences or no tangible differences they'd be out of a job as there would be nothing to report about. All too often we are influenced by a fancy cabinet, packaging and hyperbole which can easily influence our imaginations. Auditory memory for comparing fine details is short lived, very short and yet imagination can go a long way. Just say'in. YMMV.

I will deny no one the pleasure of fiddling and having fun.

post #5631 of 7997
Quote:
If the testers/reviewers on magazines or zines were truthful about the magnitude of differences or no tangible differences they'd be out of a job as there would be nothing to report about. All too often we are influenced by a fancy cabinet, packaging and hyperbole which can easily influence our imaginations. Auditory memory for comparing fine details is short lived, very short and yet imagination can go a long way.

I agree. Sometimes it can be prestige too.

post #5632 of 7997
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequencies View Post
 

I agree. Sometimes it can be prestige too.

Yes it can, unfortunately some innocent readers pay the price.

post #5633 of 7997
Quote:
Yes it can, unfortunately some innocent readers pay the price.

Yes people should know this, so we teach them here because we are not payed testers/reviewers :D

 

You didn't tell which DACs/amps you exactly own (or I can't read), but I hope for Desktop you have something better than this FiiO though XD


Edited by frequencies - 1/2/14 at 11:06am
post #5634 of 7997
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequencies View Post
 

Yes people should know this, so we teach them here because we are not payed testers/reviewers :D

 

You didn't tell which DACs/amps you exactly own (or I can't read), but I hope for Desktop you have something better than this FiiO though XD

I recently unloaded my Schiit Mjolnir, which was quite nice. I don't want to bother with balanced amps and cabling as I don't need the extra voltage swing and am looking for something else. I might just try a Schitt Magni just for schitt and giggles to see what they're like. I can't believe the design and specs for the price and have to hear this for myself before I do anything else.

Quite frankly the FiiO E18 and E12 are very good, just not fancy enough for the elite. I like to move around and not be anchored into one place and it does a good job of it.

IMO there is more imagination than reality to what most people report as well as excessive exaggeration. Part of human nature.

post #5635 of 7997

Tell how the Magni is. Good if FiiO is good. Nice if things get smaller, better and more portable. A 40 ampere rectifier used to be very big and heavy, nowadays only one inch.

post #5636 of 7997
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
 

Ordered HD600 on New Years Eve. Went into Magnolia to try the HD650 and HD600.

They only had the HD650 but offered to order me a pair for HD600 for $300 so I bit....

Going to drive them with this Jef Larson Spud amp:

I'm looking forward to enjoying these classic cans!

Looking forward to your impressions. Especially with that beauty! 

post #5637 of 7997
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I might just try a Schitt Magni just for schitt and giggles to see what they're like. I can't believe the design and specs for the price and have to hear this for myself before I do anything else.

 

I think you will be impressed for the size of the thing! 

 

I thought it was very powerful and authoritative sounding. Transparent with a very slight treble emphasis. It powered my HE500 and LCD2 (I owned at the time) effortlessly. If you are looking for finesse however, look elsewhere. The Asgard 1 sounded very similar but with a little more smoothness in the treble. But hey, transparency is what its all about right? Haven't heard with the HD600's. 

 

If I was buying another Schitt for the HD600's though I'd go Vali all the way.  


Edited by LugBug1 - 1/2/14 at 12:35pm
post #5638 of 7997

With so many great closed back, semi portable headphones out there now, what is the favorite of the HD600 fans? Basically, I'm looking for a comfortable, easy to drive, closed back HD600 with good isolation. Something that leans toward neutral and yet is musical. 

post #5639 of 7997

I will invest in a proper DAC / amp as soon as the money allows, till then they have to work with the laptop DAC and the DAC on the Asus P8Z77-I motherboard. But I bet they will outperform the Koss Porta Pro (which I got at the moment) even without a dedicated DAC...

post #5640 of 7997
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

I think you will be impressed for the size of the thing! 

 

I thought it was very powerful and authoritative sounding. Transparent with a very slight treble emphasis. It powered my HE500 and LCD2 (I owned at the time) effortlessly. If you are looking for finesse however, look elsewhere. The Asgard 1 sounded very similar but with a little more smoothness in the treble. But hey, transparency is what its all about right? Haven't heard with the HD600's. 

 

If I was buying another Schitt for the HD600's though I'd go Vali all the way.  

I like transparent, the Asgard2 looks interesting and it's got plenty of juice. The Magni has an output impedance of < 0.1 Ohms, the thing can probably run a refrigerator so any can other than a truck like an HE-6 is doable. How these guys can make such good stuff in the USA at superb prices is wonderful.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread