or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 349

post #5221 of 17135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

You might prefer something like the Q701's in that case. The HD600's are great all-rounders but aren't the fastest sounding out there as they are fairly laid back in character. 

Although you believe them to be "laid back," IMO they hit the spot just right. I guess it all depends on tastes, I like they way they handle treble without resonant peaks or being in my face, yet the treble is clear and well defined. Sennheiser was planning to retire these guys after nearly 20 years of sales, I guess customers wouldn't have any of that, for a good reason.

post #5222 of 17135

^^They hit the spot for me too but.... but they are laid back compared to other headphones in the same price range. DT880, DT990 K701,K550,SR225/325 HD700, All Audio technikas, D2000/5000,MA900 in fact the only other hp I can think of that is more laid back is the hd650.

 

Not a matter of taste my friend- it a truism.  

post #5223 of 17135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

^^They hit the spot for me too but.... but they are laid back compared to other headphones in the same price range. DT880, DT990 K701,K550,SR225/325 HD700, All Audio technikas, D2000/5000,MA900 in fact the only other hp I can think of that is more laid back is the hd650.

 

Not a matter of taste my friend- it a truism.  

Your truism to another is your opinion. I believe that's what we call subjective, nothing wrong with that.

post #5224 of 17135
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Your truism to another is your opinion. I believe that's what we call subjective, nothing wrong with that.

Nope I was being objective... It's relative ;)

post #5225 of 17135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

Nope I was being objective... It's relative ;)

Your objective is my subjective, :D 

Perhaps I misinterpret your meaning of more laid back as to an absolute laid back vs. neutral.


Edited by StanD - 11/28/13 at 9:07am
post #5226 of 17135
The only truism about the HD600 is that it's a true classic that's been in constant production for many, many years! Logic dictates that there must be a reason for this and it's because its an outstanding all-rounder. From Rock to Classical, ANY genre sounds fantastic! A high end tube amp or a low priced portable Fiio E12 will make these cans sing. While a persons musical taste may change over time, the cans will consistently deliver the goods, regardless of genre. Here's another truism, if you're getting bad sound from an HD600, look somewhere else in the audio chain for the problem. The music, the source, the amp, the cables, whatever...the problems NOT the headphones! These suckas are keepers, I've had mine for over a decade!wink.gif
post #5227 of 17135
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Your objective is my subjective, :D 

Perhaps I misinterpret your meaning of more laid back as to an absolute laid back vs. neutral.

:beerchug: I'll go with that! 

post #5228 of 17135
I just got a pair and I find them slightly too bright for me on certain rock songs. I haven't burned them in and I am using a neutral eq curve.

will the treble even out with burn in?
post #5229 of 17135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabsonuro View Post

I just got a pair and I find them slightly too bright for me on certain rock songs. I haven't burned them in and I am using a neutral eq curve.

will the treble even out with burn in?

 

You're probably just sensitive to treble or aren't used to having headphones that actually have decent treble extension. Give them a couple more weeks and see how you feel. Burn-in will not change their signature but spending time with them will most likely change your brain and how you perceive them. I'm guessing you've just gotten used to lower-end headphones that don't have good treble extension and therefore mask the sibilance and brightness that exists in a lot of recordings.

 

If after a few weeks the treble still bothers you then it looks like you are particularly sensitive to treble. Most headphones out there will have even more treble than the HD600 has. In fact, most would call the HD600 laid back. If you want something very similar but even more laid back look into the HD650.

post #5230 of 17135
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

You're probably just sensitive to treble or aren't used to having headphones that actually have decent treble extension. Give them a couple more weeks and see how you feel. Burn-in will not change their signature but spending time with them will most likely change your brain and how you perceive them. I'm guessing you've just gotten used to lower-end headphones that don't have good treble extension and therefore mask the sibilance and brightness that exists in a lot of recordings.

If after a few weeks the treble still bothers you then it looks like you are particularly sensitive to treble. Most headphones out there will have even more treble than the HD600 has. In fact, most would call the HD600 laid back. If you want something very similar but even more laid back look into the HD650.

I came from dt880-> hd650-> hd600

so i am sure I am not using low end headphones
post #5231 of 17135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabsonuro View Post

I came from dt880-> hd650-> hd600

so i am sure I am not using low end headphones

 

So have you found that the HD600 has more treble than the HD650 but less than the DT880? That's how everyone else hears them. If you want the HD600 experience but with less treble then the HD650 is the way to go.

post #5232 of 17135

Don't forget, there are a lot of recordings out there that will sound bright/sharp on *any* good headphones because they were (unfortunately) recorded that way.

post #5233 of 17135

Personally I find the treble on the HD600 to be extremely tame, even with some aggressive rock tracks. Probably because I have grown used to the Beyerdynamic T1's massive spike. Nowdays the LCD2 and HE-500 are very dark for my tastes - HD600 to a lesser extent. I used to be the opposite and hate bright headphones.

 

You will get used to the treble eventually I'd say. If not going for the HD650 is a easy solution, pretty much on par with HD600 but in different ways.

 

Also for the person asking for a metal headphone because the bass was too weak ~ maybe try the HE-400, also jergpad them. They will have great bass and I enjoyed a Jerg-modded pair I hear a fair bit with heavy metal and rock.

post #5234 of 17135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

 ^^If you stretch the metal parts of the headband a bit, it takes the pressure off the pads and they will last years and the soundstage imaging etc stays good :) 

 

Didn't like the fit when I tried one with a stretched out headband - I couldn't find an adjustment setting where the grip on the earpads felt right. That said I use my not-bent HD600 with nine to ten clicks out from the tightest setting - puts just a bit of pressure on the top section of the earpads to secure them.

post #5235 of 17135

Joined the club. These things look sexy and seems like they sound amazing too. I pined over getting the HD650 for a long time, but in the end I decided to pick the HD600. Seems like the HD600 is a little less picky with amps and more balanced overall. I ordered the Modi + Vali which are on the way soon. I figured a tube amp + HD600 was a better match than the HD650. Don't have any other amps so it seemed like the best choice. Excited!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread