or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 298

post #4456 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post

The Modi / Magni is a pretty tough hurdle in terms of size... If that's your bar, you might as well stop looking. But I'm willing to bet the Crack wipes the floor with the Magni when used with the HD600s.

 

Well of course! It's a budget DAC + amp combo anyway topping at $200 for both units. 

 

In other news I've found an eBay listing for an AudioMinor cable for $99, which is originally at $250+shipping new. Pretty interested in getting it just for the looks at least.

post #4457 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Quick question for the HD600 owners.

I have a driver on the way out.  I bought them 2nd hand (part of a trade) for an extremely good price but noticed that one earpiece is definitely lighter than the other.  I opened the cans to check, and one of the actual divers has a visible mark (indentation in the membrane) - and I'm pretty sure that's the issue.

Anyway - I got a quote today - and can get HD600 drivers (brand new pair - matched replacements) for ~ US 200 delivered.  Problem is that it could be around 3 weeks to get them.  Or I could get a matched pair of HD650 drivers for ~ US 140 delivered - and they have them in stock now - so delivery in a matter of days.

I'm based in NZ - so I can't try before I buy.  My old HD600 were black screen - so it's not simply a matter of replacing one driver.

I could get a pair of brand new HD600 for around US $300 - but by the time I pay shipping and tax - it'll run well over US $400 - so repair is the better option.

Has anyone tried using the new (silver screen) HD650 driver in an HD600 frame - and how different was it?  I've heard the HD650 - and liked it.  But I love my HD600.  Problem is that I haven't heard the new HD650 which is supposedly more neutral sounding.

Bit of a dilemma for me.  Not sure what to do.  Any help appreciated.

I've owned three pairs of HD650s, two pairs of HD600s and a pair of HD580s. I'd take the HD600s and HD580s over any of the HD650s I owned. My advice would be to stick with the HD600 drivers...
post #4458 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post

Well of course! It's a budget DAC + amp combo anyway topping at $200 for both units. 

In other news I've found an eBay listing for an AudioMinor cable for $99, which is originally at $250+shipping new. Pretty interested in getting it just for the looks at least.

True. In some ways it's not a fair comparison. But my point stands. If the Magni size and price set the boundaries of what you're looking at, you're basically left with the Magni or an O2. I'm not taking pot shots, I'm just stating a fact.

On the other hand, maybe the comparison isn't that unfair. I'm not comparing the $100 Magni to an Eddie Current Balancing Act. I'm comparing it to a $270 amp. Sure, it's almost 3x more expensive, but the price difference is just $170. That's not some crazy number.
post #4459 of 17469
And by the way, I think you can safely stick with the Modi, even if you get a Crack. I'm not knocking budget gear, nor am I trying to get anyone to spend money unnecessarily.
post #4460 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post


True. In some ways it's not a fair comparison. But my point stands. If the Magni size and price set the boundaries of what you're looking at, you're basically left with the Magni or an O2. I'm not taking pot shots, I'm just stating a fact.

On the other hand, maybe the comparison isn't that unfair. I'm not comparing the $100 Magni to an Eddie Current Balancing Act. I'm comparing it to a $270 amp. Sure, it's almost 3x more expensive, but the price difference is just $170. That's not some crazy number.

 

To me, the Little Dot MKIII I had was already pretty big but was still manageable. The horizontal layout of the Schiit chassis though is perfect; the A2/Bifrost stack is perfect for my desk as well as my needs. 

 

 

 

post #4461 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post


I've got a Taboo Mk II with upgraded caps. It's a great amp for planars, but I find the Crack is significantly better with my HD600s and HD800s.

I was hoping I could grab on old pair of 600's,used,just to try out-who know,I may like them

Does the comfort on the 600's,remotely,measure up to the 800's??

 

Your comments and impressions ,makes great reading !!!-I know use it for reference.

 

Mike

post #4462 of 17469
FWIW (and then I promise I'll shut up), the Bifrost and A2 are roughly 9x7". The Crack is 11.25" x 7.25". So the difference is only 2.25". biggrin.gif
post #4463 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post

FWIW (and then I promise I'll shut up), the Bifrost and A2 are roughly 9x7". The Crack is 11.25" x 7.25". So the difference is only 2.25". biggrin.gif

 

Wouldn't be too presentable when positioned horizontally :p

 

Also, no preamp outputs for my studio monitors ;_;

post #4464 of 17469
Why horizontally? Or rather, what do you mean horizontally? The measurements for both the Schiit gear and the Crack are when placed flat on a desk, as in your picture.

As for preamp outputs, you could easily add those for a few bucks. Moreover, I believe the headphone jack on the Crack is a switching jack, so you could even set it up so the monitors are disabled when headphones are plugged in.
post #4465 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

I am seriously looking at getting one, but as you said the size kind of puts me off. Hard to tell with photos, but it looks to be pretty big, nearly the same size as my cd player.

 

As AMCAN said--it is not that big

here are the measurements:

 

11.25 x 7.25 x3.5 in.

Its a wonderful amp,just make sure you get the speedball upgrade ,& some decent tubes

 

 

Mike


Edited by mikek200 - 9/29/13 at 8:20pm
post #4466 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post

Why horizontally? Or rather, what do you mean horizontally? The measurements for both the Schiit gear and the Crack are when placed flat on a desk, as in your picture.

As for preamp outputs, you could easily add those for a few bucks. Moreover, I believe the headphone jack on the Crack is a switching jack, so you could even set it up so the monitors are disabled when headphones are plugged in.

 

I meant the orientation of the amp. Schiit's amps are wider while the Crack is longer:

 

 

 

 

Can't afford losing the space since I put my laptop and perform homework at that side of the desk. Unless though I'd place the Crack sideways, which looks off.

 

Anyways I'm already happy with the Schiit stack and to me, it's my kind of end-game setup for the price :) 


Edited by jjsoviet - 9/29/13 at 8:28pm
post #4467 of 17469

@jjsoviet: The Crack is not very big at all about 35cm x 20cm (LxW) from the top of my head. 

 

Now if you were looking at "The Thing" amcananey has created.....well then that's a different size altogether.

post #4468 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

Quick question for the HD600 owners.

 

Anyway - I got a quote today - and can get HD600 drivers (brand new pair - matched replacements) for ~ US 200 delivered.  Problem is that it could be around 3 weeks to get them.  Or I could get a matched pair of HD650 drivers for ~ US 140 delivered - and they have them in stock now - so delivery in a matter of days.

 

I wouldn't be too adverse to getting the HD650 drivers. Although I also prefer the HD600's sound (I always swap out my HD600 pads to the HD650's I listen to at meets) I won't mind saving $60 for HD650 drivers. They only seem dark and blunt for some because the response is a touch closer to flat in the midrange up to the treble transition. On new pads, I clearly prefer the HD600 because that's exactly the sound I like (lots of treble extension, slightly more forward mids/vocals), but when suing really worn pads* the treble gets a bit grating. of course, if the situation were reversed - I have to pay $60 more and wait longer for HD650 drivers - then I'd stick with the HD600 drivers and just get new pads.

 

 

*If you didn't really wear out the old pads, don't throw them out either way - if unused for a long enough time they regain some of their old shape and stiffness. I'm cycling three pairs now and there's less discrepancy with the sound when using the older pads as they get about a month of use then two months to rest.

post #4469 of 17469

So for giggles I've set up a playlist of purely rock/metal songs (Sabaton, Turisas, Dragonforce, etc.) and so far the HD600 can handle them easily - to my surprise, actually. A tad bit polite in the upper treble region, but overall tonality especially the guitars and percussion sounds really good. :D

post #4470 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
 

 

I meant the orientation of the amp. Schiit's amps are wider while the Crack is longer:

 

 

 

 

Can't afford losing the space since I put my laptop and perform homework at that side of the desk. Unless though I'd place the Crack sideways, which looks off.

 

Anyways I'm already happy with the Schiit stack and to me, it's my kind of end-game setup for the price :) 

 

I ran my Crack sideways-I'm also cramped for desktop space

My Taboo,which is bigger,is also running sideways

Basically,the desktop looks like a war zone..ugly as all hell ,but when I turn it on-I get beautiful sound-that's all that matters.

 

 

Mike

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread