Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 270

post #4036 of 9557
Quote:
Originally Posted by westermac View Post

A question for those of you who use the HD600 in a mixing/referencing/context. Are SS amps the only way to go for this? I currently use an Aphex HeadPod 4 for both critical and casual listening, and I feel like it has done a fairly good job at conserving the 600's relatively neutral sound sig, but I can't help but feel the need to spice things up a bit for casual listening sessions. I have been looking into the Asgard 2 and Valhalla, but I can't shake the feeling that I either have to go with a dry, accurate (SS) amp at the expense of fun, or vise-versa. Should I get a second "fun" amp and keep the HeadPod for critical applications, or is it possible that one amp (Asgard 2?) could do it all? It's worth mentioning that have zero experience with tube amps so I'm not even sure the tube sound is what I want. My favorite attribute of the HD600 is its remarkable ability to reproduce instruments with great realism. My casual listening habits include a great deal of folk/acoustic/bluegrass with a smattering of prog rock. Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated!


I always favored transparency, specially with an already well balanced and transparent headphone like the HD 600. People in the recording industry pay big $$ for transparent equipment, and the artist wishes everyone could hear it the way it was mixed in the studio. Unfortunately, that's usually not the case with bad quality radio and consumer electronics. Listening to it the way it was originally mixed should be fun, if it's not, then your not listening to the "good stuff" (assuming a relatively transparent setup).

 

On the practical side, Solid State is more efficient, smaller, doesn't get as hot, and is less expensive to own and maintain. But some like to experiment with their sound, or simply want a certain signature based on their mood or genre of music. Those are the Tube rollers among us. However, if I was interested in a different signature for each genre, I would have a different headphone for each, and leave the amp as neutral and transparent as possible.

post #4037 of 9557
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigodeni View Post
 


I always favored transparency, specially with an already well balanced and transparent headphone like the HD 600. People in the recording industry pay big $$ for transparent equipment, and the artist wishes everyone could hear it the way it was mixed in the studio. Unfortunately, that's usually not the case with bad quality radio and consumer electronics. Listening to it the way it was originally mixed should be fun, if it's not, then your not listening to the "good stuff" (assuming a relatively transparent setup).

 

On the practical side, Solid State is more efficient, smaller, doesn't get as hot, and is less expensive to own and maintain. But some like to experiment with their sound, or simply want a certain signature based on their mood or genre of music. Those are the Tube rollers among us. However, if I was interested in a different signature for each genre, I would have a different headphone for each, and leave the amp as neutral and transparent as possible.

 

Some good thoughts, thanks for your input. Given the choice, I often find myself preferring neutrality as well; there's just something about an accurately reproduced instrument that I can't get enough of. Perhaps SS is best for me... for now :wink_face:

 

 

Thanks also to tuco and blueangel for the insight. I am really enjoying my HD600 through a SS amp, but there's something about the warm glow of tubes that's going to make me break down and get a tube amp one of these days, if only just to stare at it.

post #4038 of 9557
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteRabbit View Post
 

 

 

This is good to know. Thanks for all the info! Since I use my cans almost exclusively to listen to vinyl I'd probably notice greater sonic improvements by improving my table or cartridge. Right now a Rega Elys 2 cartridge is on my music shortlist. 

The Elys 2 cartridge is a great addition. I picked up a Rega RP3 with the Elys 2 a couple of weeks ago, and I can't stop listening to it through my Senns.  The dynamic range is incredible, especially for my large symphonic works.  On one particular recording of The Planets, the brass gets so loud that it distorts on cd.  My old Sony record player helped a little, but this player brings it out with complete clarity.

post #4039 of 9557
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtuba View Post
 

The Elys 2 cartridge is a great addition. I picked up a Rega RP3 with the Elys 2 a couple of weeks ago, and I can't stop listening to it through my Senns.  The dynamic range is incredible, especially for my large symphonic works.  On one particular recording of The Planets, the brass gets so loud that it distorts on cd.  My old Sony record player helped a little, but this player brings it out with complete clarity.

 

 

Wow this is great to know! One of the reasons I want to upgrade my cartridge is to improve the ability to listen to vinyl at louder volumes without muddying the sound. I don't really experience this too much with my 600's, but when I listen through my tower speakers it's more noticeable. I have a rega RP1. I bought it in 2011 and it came with an ortofon cartridge, but I'm not exactly sure which model it is. How is the low end on the Elys 2?? 

post #4040 of 9557

This is getting kinda off-topic but I thought I would throw in a recommendation for a good TT cart: Ortofon 2M Blue.  I've never had an ounce of low end problem with mine + BH Crack + HD600's.  Was listening to some bassy stuff last night, in fact.  The Blue is where it's at. 

post #4041 of 9557
The audio technica at 120 is also a good recommendation.
It has the perfect balance between analytical and dynamic.
Also the tracking is really decent.
post #4042 of 9557

The bass on the Elys 2 is very well defined.  I was first wowed by it in the shop before I bought it.  I put on a copy of Beethoven's 7th Symphony and went straight to the second movement.  I had never heard string basses sound that good before from a speaker.  Most of the time, basses sound bloated in my orchestral recordings.  This time I could actually hear the raspiness of the bow on the string.  My speakers at home are not quite as good as the Regas that the shop had connected to the RP3, but I think that the 600's outperform the Rega speakers.

post #4043 of 9557

I'm having trouble deciding between the Audio-GD 15.32 or the Schiit Magni/Modi combo for the HD600.

 

Which should I get?

post #4044 of 9557
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTizMLG View Post
 

I'm having trouble deciding between the Audio-GD 15.32 or the Schiit Magni/Modi combo for the HD600.

 

Which should I get?

 

Both seem to be very good value for money.  I haven't heard the Schitt combo - and it's unlikely that many M&M owners will have heard the A-gd.  Basically all you'll get asking that sort of question will be a popularity vote - unless you can find someone who's had both.

 

Compare features, inputs/ouptuts, power - then pick one.  Am sure that both options will be excellent.  No bad choice here.

post #4045 of 9557

^ What he said. I've heard it said many times that the M&M stack is bright but that wouldn't necessarily be a problem with the HD600. Personally I would choose the Audio-gd on account of it having a lot more features and connections including coax & optical but if you don't need any of the additional features and aren't turned off by a potentially cold/bright DAC/amp combo then I imagine the M&M will do just as well.


Edited by devhen - 9/5/13 at 2:49am
post #4046 of 9557

If you're based in Europe, also check out this:

 

http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/

 

I have both the HD600 and the EHP-O2 (the version without the DAC), and the combination works very well.

post #4047 of 9557

Just like the others said, I only have experience with 1 of those sets. I own the M/M stack and it does very nicely with the HD600. A very transparent amp with plenty of power to push your cans.

 

You'll probably be happy with either one you choose. More often than not head-fiers are thrilled with either choice :)

 

I also own the HiFiMAN EF2A and with the right tubes it can sound very nice for the price. It's not the best since it only does 16/48 and it does have a couple flaws, but it provides a nice tubey sound along with a good sounding Burr Brown DAC for only $169. Just thought I'd throw in a tube option that I have experience with on the HD600.


Edited by Skolar311 - 9/5/13 at 7:53am
post #4048 of 9557

Owners of both have nothing but good things to say about their sound overall. I doubt one has a clear advantage in that area, so it will come down to features and price. Audio-GD sort of stumps the Schiit in features with the additional inputs/outputs and controls. The 15.32 is likely the more expensive unit to make, and if it were also made in the USA it would be closer to $300. But some don't trust the reliability of Chinese products, companies, or support. Schiit has a very good reputation for customer service and support. So if you really need the extra features, Audio-GD is the clear choice, otherwise the safe bet would be the M&M, specially if your in the USA.

 

Just my 2 cents of course :P

post #4049 of 9557

^^^^ Agreed. Well said.

 

One advantage of owning the Schiit stack is that you can openly sound vulgar while remaining completely professional and serious.

 

"This Schiit sounds so good!" "Schiit know's their ****!"  "I've never been happier with a $200 pile of Schiit"

post #4050 of 9557

Schiit service and quality are excellent.  Just love feeding Schiit to my 600s.  :L3000:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread