Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 243

post #3631 of 8702

Would the users who eq their hd600 please post their eq. If anything I would lower the rest of the band so that the bass has a net boost of like ~5db. Anyone know of a good place to try these out near NYC, maybe in long island?

post #3632 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaHat View Post

Would the users who eq their hd600 please post their eq. If anything I would lower the rest of the band so that the bass has a net boost of like ~5db. Anyone know of a good place to try these out near NYC, maybe in long island?

 

B&H Photo?
post #3633 of 8702

I'd rather go to J&R, its a bit closer to me, but I've heard there are stores in long island that carry the hd600 and other hifi

post #3634 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaHat View Post

Would the users who eq their hd600 please post their eq. If anything I would lower the rest of the band so that the bass has a net boost of like ~5db. Anyone know of a good place to try these out near NYC, maybe in long island?

I don't equalize, but if you are going to equalize your headphones lowering the rest of the band besides bass would be the correct way of doing it. Just lower it until your ears are happy with it :)

post #3635 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerming2 View Post

I don't equalize, but if you are going to equalize your headphones lowering the rest of the band besides bass would be the correct way of doing it. Just lower it until your ears are happy with it :)

 

I lower and boost by equal amounts so that the "average" amplitude across all frequencies would be the same as flat. I usually have it highest at 30hz, gradually rolling off and flat by 100hz.
post #3636 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentai View Post

If you need to eq a system for it to sound good then it is not a good system.

 

  i agree ..unless it is a bad recordings

post #3637 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dude View Post

Very true! Equalizing should be done in small measures, too large alterations can quickly spoil the result. If it's done right, there should be no audible degradations in sound.

 

     What brand of eq that can be qualified as an audiophile grade?

     Krell , Audio research ? i dont think they have one yet or i am just outdated.

     the studio ones,, i think that one is best left to the professionals.

    

     

    To me adding another eq means .. must add another very good cabling (rca & powercords) ..well that will cost thousands to me  

 

    In my rig, even i change my powercord  to another point in the same power distributor ,  the sound is different (perhaps not burn in yet)

 

    Having only top of the line headphones like hd800 but not having a very good equipment like power source, digital source, cabling etc

 

   is no point to me.  IMHO , perhaps this is the reason why some "headphoneus supremus"  claim that an "audiophile" fuse  or high end

 

  powercord  is a joke . The other  reason i could think of is that  they are actually  tonally deaf .

post #3638 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

 

You joke, but it's a serious issue. Our hearing varies greatly with seemingly minor things like earwax. I had no idea until I had an ear irrigated about 10 years ago so I had no wax whatsoever in that ear. Holy **** I could hear things I never imagined it was possible to hear, especially in the high frequencies. Distant footsteps, distant conversations, every little detail. Of course that went away over time as my ears went back to normal. I'm assuming headphones are tuned assuming a normal amount of earwax :D

 

Thats what my fren recommended me to do, a earflush, is it dangerous, costly?  he flushed out seaweed-looking stuff...

and he heard footsteps where none is around..:P

=========

 

Just installed a full set of cabledyne powercords into my setup, amazing clarity...and loads of depth,

swear i could hear shuffling of footsteps in the jungle in THE LAST SAMURAI soundtrack,

and them eating bambooshoots n drinking coke.

beerchug.gif

post #3639 of 8702

If you want more apparent bass, you can shelve the mids and treble with PEQ. Boosting is typically not a good idea. Note that this will also make your headphones a fair bit less sensitive. But either way you spin it, the HD600 can't do high SPL subbass (and midbass) without high distortion. If that's what you want, look elsewhere.

 

For the record, I've never felt the need to EQ my HD600. This headphone is very flat where it counts, the midrange.
 

post #3640 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJNeg View Post

If you want more apparent bass, you can shelve the mids and treble with PEQ. Boosting is typically not a good idea. Note that this will also make your headphones a fair bit less sensitive. But either way you spin it, the HD600 can't do high SPL subbass (and midbass) without high distortion. If that's what you want, look elsewhere.

 

For the record, I've never felt the need to EQ my HD600. This headphone is very flat where it counts, the midrange.

 

Was following you there until the part of not being able to get high subbass or midbass w/o distortion. If you decrease the mids and treble so that the subbass and midbass are boosted (but not over 0db) and then compensate with volume you can get a ridiculous amount of distortion-free subbass and midbass. That is, I can't hear any distortion. Whether it measures as having more distortion or not I'm not sure but it sounds extremely clean and great to me.

 

If you meant you can't "boost" the subbass and midbass (i.e. above 0db) without distortion... well, yes. But that doesn't have much to do with the HD600.

post #3641 of 8702

Sometimes I wonder if the HD600 is lacking in bass, or if it's just my perception. I wish it had a little more, though. At least the midrange is practically perfect.

post #3642 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

 

Thats what my fren recommended me to do, a earflush, is it dangerous, costly?  he flushed out seaweed-looking stuff...

and he heard footsteps where none is around..:P

=========

 

Just installed a full set of cabledyne powercords into my setup, amazing clarity...and loads of depth,

swear i could hear shuffling of footsteps in the jungle in THE LAST SAMURAI soundtrack,

and them eating bambooshoots n drinking coke.

beerchug.gif

 

    I believe this guy except for the beverage part  etysmile.gif

    I think it should be a pepsi

 

    By the way , i had my earflushed at a specialist last year

    Not because of audio but bacteria infection ,,hehe

post #3643 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalz View Post

 

     What brand of eq that can be qualified as an audiophile grade?

  

 

None. Equalizers are probably the antithesis to "audiophile-grade" equipment. That's why I like them. wink_face.gif

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalz View Post
    

    To me adding another eq means .. must add another very good cabling (rca & powercords) ..well that will cost thousands to me 

 

... I see. Well, let's just say that there are different means of approaching audio reproduction - as mentioned before, whatever sounds good to the listener is good, no matter how that is achieved. beerchug.gif

post #3644 of 8702

I'm behind the times and just recently got the HD 600. I think they're relatively good if you get them used for a reasonable price. I also think it's unfortunate we've not seen more progress in this mid-fi category given how Sennheiser feels comfortable MSRPing the HD 600. The original Beyer DT 990 had in my opinion already attained about the same technical ability in the mid-'80s as the HD 600 a decade later, and two decades later the 600 is still top dollar in its class.

post #3645 of 8702
Well that's exactly how I feel, if you want to "upgrade" from the hd600 you have to spend a ton more money. I'd also say the hd600/k701 are the drop off point where you can get away using an amp/dac >$200. I guess O2 and Odac works okay with the lcd 2 but you will still be spending an extra $550 more than the hd600s if you get a good deal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread