or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 25

post #361 of 17145

My Cardas cable also improved definition particularly in the bass - the HD600 are formidable

post #362 of 17145

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster View Post


I have not heard the 2 but I did own the first one for a while. It's not too bad at its price but there are better options out there depending on budget, space, etc. I'll take my setup with the HD600 over the uDAC any day.

 


I'd imagine so.  I don't think either the uDAC or uDAC2 have a capable amp section for HD600s.  As DACs though, they're pretty nice for a stop-gap <$100 solution.

 

post #363 of 17145

Most of the guys here suggest a building an M^3 amp with the HD 600 but do you guys know how the Bijou tube amp goes the HD 600? Also I'm trying to figure out what DAC I should build for this headphone or in general. Any suggestions? 

post #364 of 17145

I have an HD600 in a system that probably comes close (enough for myself) to maximizing its inherent capabilities. In this system I would say the HD600 has a slightly dark, rich, and full presentation with most higher quality recordings (pop, jazz, vocals, rock).

 

Here the HD600 excels with classical music, which was my main goal in assembling this system, and for which I feel very lucky that the gods of audio saw fit to make the process so easy (3 sources, 3 amps, success on the third iteration). The icing on the cake is with its current sound signature, it also works well with a much wider range of my music collection than I would have expected. smile_phones.gif

 

 

post #365 of 17145


I am surprised that you say classical works well on the HD600 - whats your set up mate - I'd like to know more...I am planning on using the HD600 with the HR-2 head amp which i have heard is dark and rich in character too...

 

I bought the Beyer DT880 (600ohms) for classical and the HD600 for jazz, rock, pop, fusion etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

I have an HD600 in a system that probably comes close (enough for myself) to maximizing its inherent capabilities. In this system I would say the HD600 has a slightly dark, rich, and full presentation with most higher quality recordings (pop, jazz, vocals, rock).

 

Here the HD600 excels with classical music, which was my main goal in assembling this system, and for which I feel very lucky that the gods of audio saw fit to make the process so easy (3 sources, 3 amps, success on the third iteration). The icing on the cake is with its current sound signature, it also works well with a much wider range of my music collection than I would have expected. smile_phones.gif

 

 



 

 

post #366 of 17145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan25 View Post


I am surprised that you say classical works well on the HD600 - whats your set up mate - I'd like to know more...I am planning on using the HD600 with the HR-2 head amp which i have heard is dark and rich in character too...

 

I bought the Beyer DT880 (600ohms) for classical and the HD600 for jazz, rock, pop, fusion etc...



 

 


 

 

I have the DNA Sonett SET amplifier, and an Anedio D1 DAC fed by Apple lossless files from a MacBook Pro. Although the Sonett comes very close, it is not the most optimal amp for classical. What it does is provide the HD600 with enough power for it to excel. The Anedio D1 fills in the gaps and really opens up the sound along with excellent detail resolution. 

 

The HD600 is a chameleon in that it can work well with mid-level equipment, but can also scale up to a high degree. Indeed they need power to really shine, and the user becomes aware of their true capabilities in a higher end system. I would guess that with classical music the HD600 would see another significant improvement, by going to a more powerful and neutral amp like the Eddie Current Zana Deux.

 

OTOH with the existence now of a higher tier of headphones that have pushed the HD600 down a notch, one wonders whether taking the latter up to the max is the best path. I plan to explore these questions in the not so distant future, but in the mean time can just relax and enjoy the music.

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #367 of 17145

Cheers for sharing - I will spend more time with the HD600 listening to classical then.

post #368 of 17145

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

I have the DNA Sonett SET amplifier, and an Anedio D1 DAC fed by Apple lossless files from a MacBook Pro. Although the Sonett comes very close, it is not the most optimal amp for classical. What it does is provide the HD600 with enough power for it to excel. The Anedio D1 fills in the gaps and really opens up the sound along with excellent detail resolution. 

 

The HD600 is a chameleon in that it can work well with mid-level equipment, but can also scale up to a high degree. Indeed they need power to really shine, and the user becomes aware of their true capabilities in a higher end system. I would guess that with classical music the HD600 would see another significant improvement, by going to a more powerful and neutral amp like the Eddie Current Zana Deux.

 

OTOH with the existence now of a higher tier of headphones that have pushed the HD600 down a notch, one wonders whether taking the latter up to the max is the best path. I plan to explore these questions in the not so distant future, but in the mean time can just relax and enjoy the music.

 


I always thought an amp that excels at dynamics like the Sonett would suit classical.  


Edited by sphinxvc - 6/21/11 at 4:22pm
post #369 of 17145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan25 View Post

Cheers for sharing - I will spend more time with the HD600 listening to classical then.



And with my ear being untrained and highly subjective, I look forward to your impressions.


 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

Quote:


I always thought an amp that excels at dynamics like the Sonett would suit classical.  



Agree 100%, and maybe I was a bit short in my explanation. I would further remark that many SET designs also add a touch of warmth and a certain degree of euphony, and so I do believe the Sonett fits in this category. Now I'm not saying the Sonett is a typically "tubey" amp like may warm PP designs, because it is not in any way, shape, or form. In its own way the Sonett has a great deal of clarity and transparency. The SET sound that I am speaking of adds a naturalness with a strong and pleasing sense of tone that is hard to ignore.

post #370 of 17145
Thread Starter 

I've often found myself putting on the HD 600 and thinking that overall, they're tonally slightly forward/bright in nature, certainly in relation to the darker HD 650. But whenever my ears get accustomed to the HD 600 sound, I still find their relative frequency balance to be really neutral and pleasing with a variety of musical genres/styles/recordings (except really bright ones). What matters to me when listening to music is that my ears aren't in physical pain and that I'm enjoying what I'm hearing. 

 

The HD 600 have led to me hearing many new details in recordings I've heard before. When I received the HD 600 I have now, I remember listening to a classical recording of The Four Seasons and hearing what sounded like the pages of the conductor's score rustling as he/she turned the pages. I'd never heard that before, just I'd never heard certain segments of the Hawaii guitar part (by Larry Carlton I think) on Steely Dan's Aja album (listening to it now smile_phones.gif) until a few moments ago. :-)

 


Edited by Windsor - 7/19/11 at 12:05pm
post #371 of 17145

Mine have more than a decade on them and I still listen to them almost everyday. A few have come and gone, but these babies have a way of their own. Everything always sounds wonderful irrespective of tubes used.

post #372 of 17145

I've basically invested all of my at home music listening to the HD600, as they are the only headphones I own at the moment. 

post #373 of 17145

best phones on the planet under 1K

post #374 of 17145

It's always nice to break out the HD600 after they've been sitting idle for a while.  They never fail to be enjoyable.  This is the first time I've listened to them with the Sylvania fat bottle black plate 6FD7's and EML 5U4G in the WA6SE... Very crisp, clear, revealing combination. 

post #375 of 17145

IMO they are more enjoyable but less analytical - I use them mostly for jazz and rock

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread