Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 226

post #3376 of 8011

I've been using these for just over a year now though HRT Music Streamer II -> Asgard (1). If I were to upgrade one of these, which should it be? I'm guessing the DAC... any suggestions? Schiit Bifrost seems a bit pricey... would the Modi be an appreciable upgrade? And from some quick searching, it seems like people have mentioned ODAC positively a lot

post #3377 of 8011

The HRT is a well respected DAC, I personally doubt if any of those other DACs will sound any different.

post #3378 of 8011

I have a Modi coming and I have some HD600's. I'll let you know once I get everything set up for a listen.

post #3379 of 8011
Quote:
Originally Posted by squib323 View Post

I've been using these for just over a year now though HRT Music Streamer II -> Asgard (1). If I were to upgrade one of these, which should it be? I'm guessing the DAC... any suggestions? Schiit Bifrost seems a bit pricey... would the Modi be an appreciable upgrade? And from some quick searching, it seems like people have mentioned ODAC positively a lot

 

The Modi or ODAC would be IMO. Of course you'll lose some warmth. I found the HRT MSII to have just a slight touch of warmth. Most people might not notice it unless you use maybe an SRH-940 or a K702 etc.

I had a very hard time hearing the differences between the ODAC and Modi, but between the MSII and ODAC it was quite easy.

 

People always say the ODAC is "way better" than the Modi, but i'm just not hearing it.

 

The soundstage on the MSII always felt kind of too compressed in comparison to the ODAC/Modi. It's certainly not bad and i'm not sure why this is. I always liked it though.

post #3380 of 8011
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

The HRT is a well respected DAC, I personally doubt if any of those other DACs will sound any different.


That's the thing, if we are not talking power audio, then there wont be much differences in signal output quality, since any cheap chip can do the job just fine.


Edited by musiclife - 6/27/13 at 1:26pm
post #3381 of 8011

Does anybody use these when they are gaming at all? About to invest in a pair and just wondering what the general concensus was 

post #3382 of 8011

I use them for gaming quite a bit and they work really well. There are headphones with larger soundstages out there for sure but the 600's is adequate. The slightly forward mids help make voice comm more intelligible. My 880s and 770s both have somewhat recessed mids and it can be harder to hear people talking over other noises. But its a small difference. All 3 work great for gaming IMO because they all have decent soundstages and good detail.

post #3383 of 8011

I think (for gaming anyway) - more important is the imaging than having a huge soundstage.   To me the HD600 image superbly (the DT880 are pretty good too) - and I can use either the Senns or the Beyers for gaming.

post #3384 of 8011

Awesome thanks :)

post #3385 of 8011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink42 View Post

Does anybody use these when they are gaming at all? About to invest in a pair and just wondering what the general concensus was 
They are ok for gaming, but definitely not anything to scream home about. The soundstage is small and positional accuracy is not where I need it to be. There are much better cans out there for gaming at much better prices. The Q701 and all of its variants being one of the major ones.
post #3386 of 8011

If you feed them a good signal via a computer or output digital audio from a console to a dedicated dac the 600s are great for gaming, Battlefield 3 with the 600s is one of the most cinematic and awe-inspiring things I have heard through my headphones.

post #3387 of 8011

Just picked up the 600's. Dont have time to post proper impressions (finals tommorow...) but I will leave you with this one word that so far summarizes the few songs I have listened to. Wow.

post #3388 of 8011

I love my HD-600s. Unfortunately, they got really banged up during one of my moves. The grills are really messed up, and the overall headband feels loose. I've had these for like 6 + years now. So I'll probably just buy these new again. Might just get 650s. Hmmmm.

post #3389 of 8011
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post

I love my HD-600s. Unfortunately, they got really banged up during one of my moves. The grills are really messed up, and the overall headband feels loose. I've had these for like 6 + years now. So I'll probably just buy these new again. Might just get 650s. Hmmmm.


I just bought some 650's but they arn't here yet. I just couldn't stand it not knowing if they are really better than my 600's. Bad thing is I KNOW I won't be able to part with either one of them once they get here even thought that would be the smart thing to do.

post #3390 of 8011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


I just bought some 650's but they arn't here yet. I just couldn't stand it not knowing if they are really better than my 600's. Bad thing is I KNOW I won't be able to part with either one of them once they get here even thought that would be the smart thing to do.

Let me know your impression. About a year ago I did a side by side of 650, 600 and HE-500. Was a bad idea doing all 3. I became disoriented as my ears would adjust to one sound. Always wished I spent more time with just the 600 and 650 to compare.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread