or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 23

post #331 of 17493


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jube View Post

I have a question for you guys with hd600's. Have you heard the hd650's and how do they compare? I remember I once went to my local headphone shop and tried the 600s and 650s side by side through my iPhone (the amp was being used by someone else) and I must say I definitely liked the HD650 more. HOWEVER, I still have yet to try both of them amped. I only recently purchased an E9 and i think it took the HD600's to a whole new level. I wonder if I would still like the HD650's more though.... guess there's only one way to find out.


Don't bother. The difference is mostly placebo. If it was possible to ABX them, the majority wouldn't be able to identify them.

 

post #332 of 17493


 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konconn View Post


 


Don't bother. The difference is mostly placebo. If it was possible to ABX them, the majority wouldn't be able to identify them.

 

 

Jube:  For the love of all that is hi-fi, please disregard konconn's post above.  That is blatant misinformation if I have ever come across it.  After a reasonable amount of time with the HD600 and HD650, it should be fairly easy to differentiate the two.  For instance, it should be immediately apparent that the HD600 is more balanced throughout the frequency spectrum with a brighter sound signature; the HD650 should sound noticeably darker, with more impactful bass. (There will be some variance due to a couple versions of each of these cans existing; there are different-colored drivers for these Senn's which have slightly different SS's-- read: sound signatures.)  Of course, it is very possible to ABX these two very well-known cans-- something that the Head-fi community has done constantly since the introduction of the newer HD650. And, yes... the majority are able to identify them.

 

That cleared up, you should not rely on your iPhone to drive either the HD600 or HD650. Despite being fairly sensitive cans, albeit with a 300 ohm impedance rating each-- read: moderately easy to drive-- you will need a good headphone amp to get both sounding 'right'.  I expect both will sound rather thin without enough juice to drive them, with the HD650 initially sounding 'better' because of the slight bass hump.  The HD600 is actually quite a bit easier to power with a variety of amps than the HD650, the latter of which may be made to sound better after much more careful consideration of amps.  It is simply slightly more finicky.  Once you have a good amp for either, it becomes a matter of 'do I like more-balanced SS's?' or 'will I be happy trading some balance for a little 'bump''?  It's up to you!  

 


 

 


Edited by sampson_smith - 5/18/11 at 5:09am
post #333 of 17493
Quote:
Originally Posted by konconn View Post


 


Don't bother. The difference is mostly placebo. If it was possible to ABX them, the majority wouldn't be able to identify them.

 



The difference between the HD600 and 650 is easily noticeable.

 

I personally prefer the HD650s. Better soundstage and bass extension. They also scale higher than the HD600s.

post #334 of 17493
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson_smith View Post

 

(There will be some variance due to a couple versions of each of these cans existing; there are different-colored drivers for these Senn's which have slightly different SS's-- read: sound signatures.)

 



Unfortunately, one thing that has never been done is ABX new vs. old driver HD 600/650.  Importantly, with the same condition pads.  The state of the pads - worn flat vs. new or one of the various stages between - has a very measurable effect on the sound as a result of the changing driver distance (and angle) to the ear, and without isolating the drivers as the difference, we cannot know if the new vs. old versions really sound different.  Unfortunately, even every sighted test between them has failed to control this key parameter, and is thus meaningless.

post #335 of 17493

I was just curious enough about the HD650's that I ordered a pair.. they're in the mail and hopefully will have them in the next few days. As much as I love my HD600's.. they seem to lack overall bass.  But on well recorded musics with prominent bass, they can really put it out.

 

As I'm writing this, listening to Enigma through the HD600's and a Matrix Mini-i and the bass is quite nice and well balanced.  With lesser recordings, not so much.  Once the HD650's come in, I'll do the burn in and then decide between the two.. decisions.. decisions..

post #336 of 17493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

The difference between the HD600 and 650 is easily noticeable.

 

I personally prefer the HD650s. Better soundstage and bass extension. They also scale higher than the HD600s.


The HD650 has always really tempted me. I have the HD600 and I absolutely love them but not sure about the HD650. I've tried it a couple of times but never in optimal conditions and not with my gear so those are a bit flawed. I do have a DT880/600 coming soon so maybe once that comes in my trio of HD600, DT880 and K601 they might sound too similar where I'll end up getting the HD650 :)

 

They might be a good different signature phone but I do really like the balance of the HD600.

 

post #337 of 17493
Thread Starter 

The HD 600 and HD 650 are both great headphones, and it's most probably each to their own sonic and musical preference.

 

The HD 600 is quite neutral sounding with a very even frequency balance and with a narrower soundstage than the HD 650. I find the HD 600 great for listening to the 'whole picture' of what's being played. The HD 650 has more low end presence - to the point of sounding unnaturally boomy with some acoustic recordings - and a great soundstage that is 'wider' and to me more immersive than the HD 600.

 

I've probably mostly preferred the HD 600, but I've been enjoyed hearing music via the HD 650 much more since using the Lavry DA 10 DAC/Amp. I find the DA 10 great with the the both HD 650 and the HD 600 (though not at the same time wink.gif). 

 

 

 


Edited by Windsor - 5/19/11 at 5:30pm
post #338 of 17493

Back and forth we go...sold my HD-650 a couple of days ago and will buy the HD-600 again. I loved many things about the HD-650, but I prefer a more neutral headphone and the soundstage I heard on the HD-600 (compared them side by side).

One reason is that I always loved the HD-600 for games and movies. The HD-650 for this..not so much. I always felt that the HD-600 is a do everything type of headphone..same as my HD-598.

 

It also seems that the slightly more forward upper mids on the HD-600 is a better match for my music.

 

Ever since I recabled my HD-598 and have been listening to my K601 the most, the HD-650 just hasn't been on my head much.

 

The HD-650 does do a few things better than the HD-600, but again it all comes down to preferences. I'm just not a fan of the HD-650's bass at all.

 

You know what's annoying? It often takes a full month to really understand how much you like a headphone and totally figure out it's signature and how it compares to other headphones.

It seems though that most of my favorite headphones I loved immediately. It's been that way with the K601 and K702. I will admit that the K702 and HD-650 took me awhile to really appreciate.

New amps, cables and lots of burn in for the K702. The K702 is one I keep going back to. Never should have sold my first K701 back in 2004.

post #339 of 17493

Just got my HD650's today and immediately found them more engaging with a fuller sound out of the box.

It took me a while to really appreciate my HD600's.  It will be interesting to compare them once I have a hundred hours or so on the HD650's.

 

Windsor.. definitely agree with you.. The HD 600 and HD 650 are both great headphones, and it's most probably each to their own sonic and musical preference.

post #340 of 17493

I think you nailed it, the bump in the bass sounded better to me since they weren't driven properly. Now with an E9, I think the bass is enough. In some songs it sounds too much actually!

 

I love the HD600's, sometimes I can't go back to the M50's because they just sound like crap in comparison.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson_smith View Post


 

 

 

Jube:  For the love of all that is hi-fi, please disregard konconn's post above.  That is blatant misinformation if I have ever come across it.  After a reasonable amount of time with the HD600 and HD650, it should be fairly easy to differentiate the two.  For instance, it should be immediately apparent that the HD600 is more balanced throughout the frequency spectrum with a brighter sound signature; the HD650 should sound noticeably darker, with more impactful bass. (There will be some variance due to a couple versions of each of these cans existing; there are different-colored drivers for these Senn's which have slightly different SS's-- read: sound signatures.)  Of course, it is very possible to ABX these two very well-known cans-- something that the Head-fi community has done constantly since the introduction of the newer HD650. And, yes... the majority are able to identify them.

 

That cleared up, you should not rely on your iPhone to drive either the HD600 or HD650. Despite being fairly sensitive cans, albeit with a 300 ohm impedance rating each-- read: moderately easy to drive-- you will need a good headphone amp to get both sounding 'right'.  I expect both will sound rather thin without enough juice to drive them, with the HD650 initially sounding 'better' because of the slight bass hump.  The HD600 is actually quite a bit easier to power with a variety of amps than the HD650, the latter of which may be made to sound better after much more careful consideration of amps.  It is simply slightly more finicky.  Once you have a good amp for either, it becomes a matter of 'do I like more-balanced SS's?' or 'will I be happy trading some balance for a little 'bump''?  It's up to you!  

 


 

 



 

post #341 of 17493

I can completely understand that!

post #342 of 17493

Thanks, Jube. I am glad you appreciate! I too love these cans. They do many things very well. A rather easy choice to make as far as circumaural, open headphones go. bigsmile_face.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jube View Post

I think you nailed it, the bump in the bass sounded better to me since they weren't driven properly. Now with an E9, I think the bass is enough. In some songs it sounds too much actually!

 

I love the HD600's, sometimes I can't go back to the M50's because they just sound like crap in comparison.
 



 



 

post #343 of 17493

It took me a few listening sessions to acclimate myself to the HD600's (bought used, no burn-in needed), but once I got accustomed to them...I love them! I can appreciate the statement about the m50's sounding like crap in comparison. I am looking now to upgrade my Asus soundcard to something a little more high-end. They already sound good, but look forward to see how they really open up on, say, an HRT ms 2 or 2+ and possibly the ld mkIII or Asgard. Then again, maybe pull the trigger on the amp/DAC when I get some LCD-2's next spring. I mourn for my dear wallet when that time comes.

post #344 of 17493

The HD600s are probably some of my absolute favorite headphones.  They're typically my general go-to cans, but my girlfriend has actually more or less set claim to them.

post #345 of 17493

At least your girlfriend has not "set fire to them"! My headphones and amps get no love from my wife. I've seen her itching for the lighter. You should be so lucky. ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread