Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 196

post #2926 of 9276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

hd600......the secret is out .blink.gif

 

 

 

Ha. It wasn't mine. I have pretty close cropped hair that doesn't shed.

post #2927 of 9276
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Ha. It wasn't mine. I have pretty close cropped hair that doesn't shed.

I thought cats shed?  biggrin.gif

post #2928 of 9276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post

I thought cats shed?  biggrin.gif

 

I'm only half lion...

post #2929 of 9276
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

I'm only half lion...

What half are you lion about? bigsmile_face.gif

post #2930 of 9276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post

What half are you lion about? bigsmile_face.gif

 

On my mom's side. My dad had certain...tendencies.

post #2931 of 9276

These sound great coming out of my dads old flagship yamaha rx-v1 receiver makes me wonder if I should cancel my bottlehead crack order. My dad's receiver has an feature called "bass extension" and when I turn it on it really brings out the sub bass on my HD 600.

 

Do the bottlehead crack really live up to the hype? I bought the Crack with Speedball and I am having second thoughts about canceling my order. $ 400 is a lot of money, I could almost build a computer + xonar stx with that type of money.

post #2932 of 9276

I have the Crack and think it is great with the 600 but don't have that much to compare to.  That said I doubt you'd have a hard time selling it if you end up not liking it.

post #2933 of 9276
Delete.....
post #2934 of 9276

There is a thread where a user asked this same question (way back in '03). 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/39206/using-sennheiser-hd-600-with-the-yamaha-rx-v1

 

That being said, it's hard to say whether-or-not your ears will perceive a 'upgrade' between the Crack vs. the receiver.  I have a couple modern receivers (Sony ES + Pioneer Elite) and I've noticed the thing they have in common is that everything seems pushed forward, which makes for a very exciting (but compressed) sound.  I personally prefer the Crack's sound; there is an airy character to the Crack which to my ears, sounds more natural and pleasing.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojun View Post

These sound great coming out of my dads old flagship yamaha rx-v1 receiver makes me wonder if I should cancel my bottlehead crack order. My dad's receiver has an feature called "bass extension" and when I turn it on it really brings out the sub bass on my HD 600.

 

Do the bottlehead crack really live up to the hype? I bought the Crack with Speedball and I am having second thoughts about canceling my order. $ 400 is a lot of money, I could almost build a computer + xonar stx with that type of money.

post #2935 of 9276

I just found out something about my main Yamaha receiver.  The headphone output impedance is 560 ohms.  WTF were they thinking?

post #2936 of 9276
Yup, I went through this recently searching for a receiver that was Sennheiser friendly. Most companies dont publish headphone jack output impedance specs, so i went to Best Buy and Magnolia with my Sennheisers and Denons to physically check output impedance.

I tested Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Pioneer, Marantz, Rotel, Onkyo, and NAD. The only receivers that where low output impedance were the Pioneers. From the big expensive Class D AVRs down to the lowly $300 VSX series, they all tested low.

I ended up with a B-Stock VSX-1122 that drives my Sennheisers and speakers beautifully. Cost me $200 - less than most dedicated headphone amps. Unless you need a small footprint or portability, I think a receiver is a great way to go.
Edited by palmfish - 4/10/13 at 2:53pm
post #2937 of 9276

I just ordered a Lyr so amping won't be an issue.  I was surprised at that impedance specs of my Yamaha receivers.  One is 560 ohms and the other 390 ohms. Too be honest my main one doesn't sound bad, but why the crazy specs?

post #2938 of 9276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post

I just ordered a Lyr so amping won't be an issue.  I was surprised at that impedance specs of my Yamaha receivers.  One is 560 ohms and the other 390 ohms. Too be honest my main one doesn't sound bad, but why the crazy specs?

 

I'm just going off what I read somewhere so take this with a grain of salt, but don't integrated amps just dump a large resistor in line of the speaker outputs and route it to the headphone jack?  If so that would account for the obscenely high output impedance.

post #2939 of 9276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post

I just found out something about my main Yamaha receiver.  The headphone output impedance is 560 ohms.  WTF were they thinking?

no wonder my hd 518 and m-50s sounded bad out of the yamaha rx-v1 but sounded great out of the HD 600.

 

I got a little more information about my dad's receiver it has a PCM 1704 dac chip, (R2R and NOS) no wonder it sounded so good. It is the best DAC according to audiophiles that don't like delta sigma. And the amplifier has low distortion.

 

I ordered my bottlehead crack anyways. I can't always be plugging in my headphones into the main receiver.


Edited by audiojun - 4/10/13 at 6:44pm
post #2940 of 9276

Awesome.  One piece of advice on your build from someone who recently completed a BH Crack.  Go slow.. besides the obvious reasons (safety, avoiding errors), assembly is such an enjoyable experience that you'll be disappointed if you race through it.

 

Sorry to steer the thread off-topic. 

 

 

Back to HD600 Appreciation: I think it's a testament to these headphones that people are willing to build a rig around them that costs several times their value to extract their full potential.  smile.gif

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojun View Post

no wonder my hd 518 and m-50s sounded bad out of the yamaha rx-v1 but sounded great out of the HD 600.

 

I got a little more information about my dad's receiver it has a PCM 1704 dac chip, (R2R and NOS) no wonder it sounded so good. It is the best DAC according to audiophiles that don't like delta sigma. And the amplifier has low distortion.

 

I ordered my bottlehead crack anyways. I can't always be plugging in my headphones into the main receiver.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread