or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 190

post #2836 of 17132

I own sennheiser hd600 and paired with electric-avenue pa2v2 amp. sound with amp is out standing.

post #2837 of 17132

Currently enjoying my HD 600 with the Sense G3 (a clone of the EarMax tube amps).

 

 

post #2838 of 17132

I've wondered about that amp.  How's the build quality?  Does it sound pretty close to the EarMax?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Currently enjoying my HD 600 with the Sense G3 (a clone of the EarMax tube amps).

 

 

 

post #2839 of 17132
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

I've wondered about that amp.  How's the build quality?  Does it sound pretty close to the EarMax?

 

 

The construction is metal all around, and very professional.

 

I've never heard the EarMax so I don't have that baseline, sorry. 

 

I'm reaally enjoying the combo though.

post #2840 of 17132

Excellent.  Thanks for the reply.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

The construction is metal all around, and very professional.

 

I've never heard the EarMax so I don't have that baseline, sorry. 

 

I'm reaally enjoying the combo though.

post #2841 of 17132

Listening to my recently completed Bottlehead Crack + HD600 now.  I'm going to add to the chorus that this is a very nice pairing.  

 

If you feel timid about getting the Crack because it's DIY you shouldn't worry.  Prior to building the Crack the only experience I had with soldering was modding joysticks.


Edited by dsound - 4/1/13 at 1:20pm
post #2842 of 17132

What exactly changes with the Crack pairing?

post #2843 of 17132

Coming from a Nuforce HDP I find the Crack has a more realistic timbre, a more 3d and "lifelike" soundstage, and a more extended better defined bass.  The Nuforce tends to have somewhat piercing highs in the 6-8Khz range and this is also a non issue with the crack.  I'd like to point out that I'm still using the HDP as a DAC so these characteristics are all directly compared to the HP out of the HDP.  Also I have not added the speedball yet but plan to this summer.  

 

In closing, while the differences may seem few, I rarely listen through the HDP anymore.  Only if i know I have some place to be soon and don't think its worth heating up the tubes for a few songs.

 

All of the above is IMO obviously.

post #2844 of 17132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmstrmbn View Post

Coming from a Nuforce HDP I find the Crack has a more realistic timbre, a more 3d and "lifelike" soundstage, and a more extended better defined bass.  The Nuforce tends to have somewhat piercing highs in the 6-8Khz range and this is also a non issue with the crack.  I'd like to point out that I'm still using the HDP as a DAC so these characteristics are all directly compared to the HP out of the HDP.  Also I have not added the speedball yet but plan to this summer.  

 

In closing, while the differences may seem few, I rarely listen through the HDP anymore.  Only if i know I have some place to be soon and don't think its worth heating up the tubes for a few songs.

 

All of the above is IMO obviously.

 

Awesome.

 

Thanks.

post #2845 of 17132

Going from my hybrid (XCANS v1) to the Crack OTL, the treble is more rolled off with the crack and the mids pushed forward.  I agree with Jmstrmbn's assessment of the soundstage expanding; orchestral pieces are more enjoyable because the sounds are more-layered.  

 

Oh, and one of the biggest draws of the Crack is the reduced listening-fatigue that I experience.  This is probably due to the rolled-off treble.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

What exactly changes with the Crack pairing?

 

 
 
post #2846 of 17132

Interesting comments.  I never found the 600s fatiguing, but my ears have had close to half a century of wear on them and everything is rolled off on the top for me.  I'd like to hear the 600s through some tubes just to see what they sound like to me.

post #2847 of 17132

Just discovered something about the HD600...it's very amp transparent.

 

I have a warmer tube amp here, and a slightly bright solid state amp. On the tubes, the HD600 sounds lush, and quite dulled. On the ss, the treble comes back in full force and the sound becomes much more analytical.

 

You want to figure out the sound sig of your amp, try it out with the 600.

post #2848 of 17132
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Currently enjoying my HD 600 with the Sense G3 (a clone of the EarMax tube amps).

 

 

 

I've been looking for a nice tube and for my HD600 and HE-400 that's a reasonable price and these look like a good contender along with the Brovo Ocean.

 

How do the stock tubes that the G3 comes with sound?  Which ever amp I buy I'm going to look for some good replacement tubes to buy with them so I can find which sound the best and see which ones last the longest.

 

Last question is how are they with with the heat the generate and do the heatsinks work good to help with the heat?

post #2849 of 17132

No clue how the stock tubes sound, as I got them with 2 amperex(es) and a mullard. The heat is only felt within an inch or so of the tubes. They're pretty warm to the touch though.

 

How are you liking the 600?

post #2850 of 17132

Yes, this is my experience as well.  Also, the HD600 scales very well with amps.  Some say its soundstage is small, but that is amp dependent.  On my Trafomatic, the soundstage is enormous.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Just discovered something about the HD600...it's very amp transparent.

 

I have a warmer tube amp here, and a slightly bright solid state amp. On the tubes, the HD600 sounds lush, and quite dulled. On the ss, the treble comes back in full force and the sound becomes much more analytical.

 

You want to figure out the sound sig of your amp, try it out with the 600.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread