Well I'm about to order the HD600 and having those along with my HE-400 I should be set for a little while at least. Next up will be an amp and I think the Schiit Asgard 2 or the O2 Objective will be 2 strong contenders.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 2/8/11
Related Forum Threads
- Can the Audioquest DragonFly Red drive a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's from an iPhone? Last post on 3/12/17 at 8:33pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 3/16/17 at 5:09pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need A Middle Ground Last post on 6/3/15 at 10:39am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Fostex TH500RP Last post on 3/24/17 at 5:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Repair or replace broken HD600? Last post on 4/3/17 at 11:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
In side the box besides the headphones of course, is the 3.5m cable which allows you to plug them into wired with any source, then the USB charge cable, which is...
Introduction/Disclaimer: I would like to thank Denise with Mixcder for the opportunity to review the X5 in ear monitor headphones. They provided me a free sample in exchange for my honest...
First thing you think of when you see this is, can this really project sound in 360 degrees, When you look at it, you wouldn't think it could. But yes it does, Sound is projected from...
Acknowledgment Thank you Lear for providing this review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. This review may also be viewed on my blog, here. List Price: $65 at time of review plus...
Xiaomi have always been ahead of it's time in budget high quality earphones and smarthphone, their goal look like to make accessible for the mass products that was only accessible for wealthy...
Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 187
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Oh yeah, I think brain burn-in is the most important part of it all, I had IEM's that I didn't like a first and thought I might sale them but after a few days of brain burn-in I loved the IEM (it was the Earsonics SM3 V2)
The reason I want the HD600 is because its more laid back compared to the HE-400 but its not as warm as the HD650, I read where more people like the HD600 over the HD650. With those 2 HP's I'll be set for awhile once I get my Schiit Asgard 2 amp.
I didn't expect to just jump-in head first into headphones like I have but after the first day listening to the HE-400 I was hooked and most of my IEM's are being sold except a couple.
I know what you mean. I never expected to go crazy on this hobby. It started out with me just trying to find a great replacement to some terrible, old headphones that broke down. Then like a drug, I just kept looking and drooling and buying and oh god no...
+1 on brain burn in. I'm with Ohnoitztotoro-- I've experienced "burn-in" on a limited number of my headphones though only in the first 10 or 20 hours (what is this 200, 400, 800 hour bull? I'm very skeptical of it) and I have always found it pretty much impossible to determine how much of it was the headphone and how much was my ears/brain getting used to the new sound. I suspect "brain burn-in" has a much larger effect for most people than driver burn-in does.
I seriously wonder sometimes if perhaps companies suggest these insanely long hours of "burn in" to force people to accidentally miss their "return window" haha. I can see how burn in is possible but I don't know about needing hundreds of hours for any headphone to open up. :P
I went back and add up all the IEM's, DAP's and other things I've got while doing this and it was over $4000 and that's just in less than 2 years. With the headphones I'm just going to get a few plus a good amp and then I'm done for awhile because its getting a bit out of control.
Edited by Techno Kid - 3/22/13 at 6:50pm
I have only experienced it once with Beyer T50Ps, shockingly bad out of the
box, but after about 50 hrs they sounded great, I still don't know what happened
but I think a lot had to do with squashing of the pads over that time.
I know HIFI retailers who religiously burn in speakers, (out of phase, facing each other with a blanket on top)
I don't see why they would waste their time if it didn't improve the sound, these are salesmen, not audiophiles.
I thought it was all total bull until the T50Ps
I went back and add up all the IEM's, DAP's and other things I've got while doing this and it was over $4000 and that's just in less than 2 years. With the headphones I'm just going to get a few plus a good amp and then I'm done for awhile becauseits getting a bit out of control.
Don't add up....
Another $310 (accessoryjack.com has them for $309.99) is gone but in return I get a new pair of HD600's so I think its a good trade off. Now with my HE-400 and the HD600 I'm done buying headphones for at least 6 months, I'm going to get a reasonably priced amp and just enjoy the music.
Go easy on those impressions guys.
About 2 decades later since launch it's a bit late for a FOTM pair of cans
(had to use this emoticon at least once haha!)
It's great to see a resurgence of interest on these headphones around this forum with all those hundreds of new cans popping out of nowhere: kudos do Tyll and DavidMahler :)
Any valve amps that use ECC82 or 83 would be most welcome.
Anyone tried the Icon amps with HD600?
I would look into the Bottlehead Crack for a valve amp. I find it brings out all the best qualities of the 600s, great timbre, pacing, and more 3D soundstaging. This is compared to my Nuforce HDP. Which tends to accentuate the upper mids (cymbals and the general hard "sss" sound. I generally prefer to use the Crack with most kinds of music.
Hello! First post here!
I work professionally in audio and love my HD600s. They have a bit of "a sound" -- but once you learn it they are fantastic tools. Not to mention beautiful for simply enjoying music.
I second Jmstrmbn's suggestion of the Bottlehead Crack (plus Speedball upgrade of course). I have it in my hi-fi system (along with the Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp) and it is fantastic for listening. It can be a bit noisy -- such is the nature of tubes. If you're into building electronics it's also a very fun project to put together. The Bottlehead customer service is excellent too!
I use an Objective 2 to amp my HD 600s and it sounds great with them.
"I know HIFI retailers who religiously burn in speakers, (out of phase, facing each other with a blanket on top)
I don't see why they would waste their time if it didn't improve the sound, these are salesmen, not audiophiles."
Why out of phase and facing each other? What difference could that make?
Edited by gruhl28 - 3/24/13 at 7:20am
The sound mostly cancels out so you don't hear them.
The high end shops know that a monophonic pressing of Mahler's 1st works best for this...
Edited by palmfish - 3/24/13 at 8:57am
Tyll, just saw your demo vid on your website with taking the cans apart... around 8:24 mins into it... I swear I jumped on my chair and almost fell out... you just need to suck it out... epic DIY moment!
- Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
- › Tidal Masters & MQA Appreciation Thread! 13 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 " The Legendary Leatherhead " 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 7 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 8 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 9 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS... 11 minutes ago
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia 12 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. Available on... 14 minutes ago
- › Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner 16 minutes ago
- › Archeer AH07 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Stereo Over Ear... by genclaymore
- › Wired Earphones, Mixcder X5 In-Ear Earbud Headphones Metal Housing... by slowpickr
- › ARCHEER Bluetooth Speakers Fabric Covering Portable Wireless... by genclaymore
- › LEAR BTC-01 by glassmonkey
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Pro HD by Nymphonomaniac
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Delance26
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Layman1
- › Fischer Audio Omega Spark by B9Scrambler
- › Meze 99 Neo by ryanjsoo
- › Beat Audio Signal by mrazik
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear