Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 179

post #2671 of 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

Glad to see another user other than me and tdockweiler modding them on this thread.  I've had the grills on mine off for the past several months as well.  Seems to improve the soundstage a little (still not amazing) and make the treble sound a bit more clear. 


I am joining the club as well, removed the grills a few days ago, foam behind the pad also removed, and listening only to HD600 for every use since then. I slightly prefer the sound without the grills. I particularly like how vocals sound even better to me with this simple mod. They sound so close and engaging. Although  I will be missing some of the warmth of HD600 with grills on, I still prefer it without grills, overall clearer and slightly wider soundstage and more treble. Next up will be HD650 replacement cable I guess.

post #2672 of 8613

Hi guys,

 

Since I'm really considering buying HD600, can you please give your opinion if you think it suits (or doesn't) my needs? It'll mean a lot to me.

 

My thread is this one.

 

Thanks!


Edited by jcdamascenojr - 3/1/13 at 1:53pm
post #2673 of 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenArcher View Post


I am joining the club as well, removed the grills a few days ago, foam behind the pad also removed, and listening only to HD600 for every use since then. I slightly prefer the sound without the grills. I particularly like how vocals sound even better to me with this simple mod. They sound so close and engaging. Although  I will be missing some of the warmth of HD600 with grills on, I still prefer it without grills, overall clearer and slightly wider soundstage and more treble. Next up will be HD650 replacement cable I guess.

 

Totally agree 100%! You and I must hear things the same way!

You do lose a tiny bit of warmth with no grills, but not too badly. You might still be ok with adding back in the foam from behind the pads.

 

To me, the 650 cable makes my 600 sound warmer and fuller in the lower mids. Hopefully nobody cries about those comments, but that's what I hear. It would measure the same. Soundstage seems better with stock HD-600 cable (due to less warmth). Sennheiser knows what they're doing and IMO the 650 cable is best for the 650. Nothing wrong with the 650 cable on the 600 though. The 650 does have a higher capacitance rating, but I won't go there.

 

If anyone is using the HD-600 without the grills and loves it, there is a way to re-create this experience with the grills in place.

 

What you do is take a tiny square of Creatology adhesive foam (same kind for the HD-800 mod. Sold at Michaels). You make it less sticky with your fingers and place it on the back of the driver on the circle. People can say it will blow up the driver all they want but it has still gets air to "breath" from the sides. Basically it's similar to using HD-580 grills and sort of limits air getting to the driver. It should be about the size of a quarter maybe, but square. Actually slightly smaller.

 

I was totally baffled how this sounds nearly identical to using the HD-600 with grills off. It's very close. To me the HD-600 sounds more flat with the grills removed or the foam in place. With stock 600 grills the HD-600 sounds like it has a slight mid-bass hump, so most people might prefer this.

 

With that foam mod you can also tune the warmth and sound with varies sizes. You can even block off just half of that circle "vent" with not much loss of warmth.

 

With the mod, the HD-600 just sounds so much more clear and detailed. You do sacrifice some warmth, but it depends on what you want. It's also extremely easy to get behind the grills. You don't even need to remove the pads, just the cable. I don't even need to detach the headband, but it makes it easier.

 

BTW as strange as it sounds, the best way to determine the differences is to use these with gaming. I was playing Fallout 3...


Edited by tdockweiler - 3/1/13 at 1:11pm
post #2674 of 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post

I've had my 600s a couple of months now and I'm very happy with them.  While I can power them with my cmoy, there is a big difference when I plug them into one of my Yamaha receivers.  They really come alive then.  I can listen for hours with no fatigue.  When my budget allows, I'd like to add a desktop amp and dac to my system.

 

You have that right.  I have (3) Yamaha 2-channel components.  I use a bit of the variable loudness control - keep it in the 12:00 and 6:00 position.  I have gone through amps by: Schiit, Audio-GD, Fiio and none of them can compare to what my full-sized Yamaha can do.  Nothing.  At the moment, I don't have any of those amps / DACs around as I've sold them all of.  I have (3) Squeezebox players that utilize music served up from my computer for all the songs at the fingertips via a remote control, or running the Squeezebox amp on my Acer Iconia tablet.

 

At this time, I have done a somewhat significant downsizing of my headphones, and those that remain are:

 

  • Sennheiser HD-600
  • HifiMAN HE-5LE
  • HIfiMAN HE-4

 

All three of these really are stellar performers when driven by the Yamaha.

post #2675 of 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

You have that right.  I have (3) Yamaha 2-channel components.  I use a bit of the variable loudness control - keep it in the 12:00 and 6:00 position.  I have gone through amps by: Schiit, Audio-GD, Fiio and none of them can compare to what my full-sized Yamaha can do.  Nothing.  At the moment, I don't have any of those amps / DACs around as I've sold them all of.  I have (3) Squeezebox players that utilize music served up from my computer for all the songs at the fingertips via a remote control, or running the Squeezebox amp on my Acer Iconia tablet.

 

At this time, I have done a somewhat significant downsizing of my headphones, and those that remain are:

 

  • Sennheiser HD-600
  • HifiMAN HE-5LE
  • HIfiMAN HE-4

 

All three of these really are stellar performers when driven by the Yamaha.

Do you have a newer Yamaha or the vintage models?

post #2676 of 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post

Do you have a newer Yamaha or the vintage models?

 

They are all newer modes.  One is an integrated amplifier, the other two are receivers.  The integrated amp and one of the receivers also have subwoofer outputs, which are fixed at 80 Hz.  The speakers are driven at full range, so if you integrate a sub, you can control the initial levels of the sub via the sub's controls.  From there, ther regular volume control on the remote will scale the volume for the speakers, as well as the sub at the same time.

post #2677 of 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

They are all newer modes.  One is an integrated amplifier, the other two are receivers.  The integrated amp and one of the receivers also have subwoofer outputs, which are fixed at 80 Hz.  The speakers are driven at full range, so if you integrate a sub, you can control the initial levels of the sub via the sub's controls.  From there, ther regular volume control on the remote will scale the volume for the speakers, as well as the sub at the same time.

I have a newer RX-A3000, but just picked up a vintage CR 1020, it is amazing sounding, blows the newer one away (headphone wise)

   
post #2678 of 8613

@tdockweiler

 

Where did you get your HD580 grills? Anywhere online? I have contacted Sennheiser Asia about this, but regardless of it being based in singapore and I live in singapore, they've put me away by not responding me well. First question, they asked me to wait for relevant personnel to answer (still no reply after a few days), and second question was never replied.

Btw, it seems HD650 cable will be the thing I will need. I do not mid sacrificing soundstage, but I would appreciate more warmth. I can get it from headroom, I think. Hope it doesnt affect the clarity much.

 

Oh, the vocals of HD600 without grills, I even prefer it to vocals of HE-500 as of now. :)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 


What you do is take a tiny square of Creatology adhesive foam (same kind for the HD-800 mod. Sold at Michaels).

 

Who is this MIchaels? A fellow head-fier?


Edited by ForsakenArcher - 3/2/13 at 11:40am
post #2679 of 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenArcher View Post

@tdockweiler

 

 

Who is this MIchaels? A fellow head-fier?

Michaels  is an arts & craft store where you can get the foam he was talking about.

post #2680 of 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenArcher View Post

@tdockweiler

 

Where did you get your HD580 grills? Anywhere online? I have contacted Sennheiser Asia about this, but regardless of it being based in singapore and I live in singapore, they've put me away by not responding me well. First question, they asked me to wait for relevant personnel to answer (still no reply after a few days), and second question was never replied.

Btw, it seems HD650 cable will be the thing I will need. I do not mid sacrificing soundstage, but I would appreciate more warmth. I can get it from headroom, I think. Hope it doesnt affect the clarity much.

 

Oh, the vocals of HD600 without grills, I even prefer it to vocals of HE-500 as of now. :)

 

 

Who is this MIchaels? A fellow head-fier?

 

I've had the HD-600 about 3 times but kept getting rid of it for some reason. Never wanted to pay over $300 again so I scored an HD-580 from another Head-Fier for $120 or so. Figured it'd be about 99% the same. Wrong! Liked it so much that I ended up getting another used HD-600, which is kind of ridiculous since the 580 is kind of similar. So I have my 580 grills from my 580 normal_smile%20.gif

 

It's funny to think that I was never a Sennheiser fan (more of an AKG fan), but yet I have 3 of them! Weird. The last two HD-650's I had were not that good, but this latest one is perfect. I even prefer it to the HD-598 and HD-580. I don't know what Sennheiser did but this HD-650 and my Q701 are two of my favorites. My old 650 had a large mid-bass hump and was too dark. Tried the same sources and amps as before too.

 

I like the HD-600, but it's more of a love/hate thing (like with the K701). I actually am so extremely picky that simple mods can make me like it even more. I actually think the 580 sounds flatter than the HD-600. I doubt anyone wants the HD-600 to sound even more neutral since it's so close.

 

It's funny to think that my first "real" headphone was an HD-580. I was totally clueless and it always sounded dark and congested. Never knew anything back then about amps etc. Ugh, I was using it with a portable CD player! This was back when it came with a 1/4" plug too. Turns out that this CD player is kind of warm and has rolled off treble. Bad combination. I think this was such a long time ago that mp3 players didn't exist. We were also still using dial-up internet access.

 

What's sad is that I had the Bose AE1 at the same time and felt it sounded better (probably due to the 580 being underpowered). It could be due to the CD player making it sound better. Now I don't like the AE1 as much because it has too much treble, but it still sounded pretty good. Sounds like $60 worth of sound. I find it to have decent bass, relaxed mids and lots of treble. I gave it to my mom. I keep trying to give her upgrades so that she can stop using her AE1 but she just won't do it! She's addicted to the comfort of the AE1.

 

Too bad michaels only seems to sell that Creatology adhesive backed foam in a large package for $8. Might not be worth it, but I felt it was. Maybe similar items could be used. Maybe tape as long as it's not sticky. I wouldn't suggest it!!

post #2681 of 8613

I was just browsing the FS forums and came across this, seems like a really really sweet deal and I wanted to share http://www.head-fi.org/t/653818/sennheiser-hd-600

 

I have no affiliation with this member nor have I ever talked to him before

post #2682 of 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

I was just browsing the FS forums and came across this, seems like a really really sweet deal and I wanted to share http://www.head-fi.org/t/653818/sennheiser-hd-600

 

I have no affiliation with this member nor have I ever talked to him before


it sold in 20 min, even before your post. great price for these amazing cans.

post #2683 of 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Too bad michaels only seems to sell that Creatology adhesive backed foam in a large package for $8. Might not be worth it, but I felt it was. Maybe similar items could be used. Maybe tape as long as it's not sticky. I wouldn't suggest it!!

I will try to find the foam in a similar store here. For now, I got HD650 cable at Senn Asia. Took them about a week to get back to me. Cost me about 20 USD. If were to order from headroom, shipping cost alone would cost me 45 bucks.  I will try first without the grills and HD650 cable.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

Michaels  is an arts & craft store where you can get the foam he was talking about.


Oops, my bad. :)


Edited by ForsakenArcher - 3/3/13 at 8:26pm
post #2684 of 8613

Not sure the HD600s need any more endorsements but I just got a pair through a trade here at Head-Fi and have to say they are devine teamed with my iBasso DX100. Can listen for hours. Love the neutral sound presentation with a touch of warmth. 

post #2685 of 8613

Congrats on the cans.  I'm loving the sound of mine!  smily_headphones1.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread