Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 155

post #2311 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcgov View Post

just wanted to say I am an new convert to the HD600.  I came from the HE400 which was not comfortable for me

to wear and I quickly developed tinnitus, I really prefer the presentation of the HD600 which may not be the concensus

on here.  I was nervous about not having a dedicated headphone amp for them and hooked them up on my Fisher

500C and they sound great, they sound great on my old Marantz 2275 as well.  These are my favorite headphones to

date and I like the bass.  The only downfall at all is that my ears seem to get hot in these but it's not a dealbreaker.

 

That's interesting, I've never experienced hot/sweaty ears with the HD600 due to them being very open and airy. Pretty much every other headphone I've used (mostly closed cans) have caused hot or sweaty ears at some point or another but not the HD600.

post #2312 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana Woman View Post


I guess people also like the idea that their setup can still be improved upon, that stuff can still be made to sound even better.

 

Kind of like with computer games such as Diablo2, where your character becomes uninteresting once you have all the best gear and reached a high level.

Right, we get bored and want new toys. that's part of being an audiophile I suppose. The point was made about 'expectation bias' because a lot of money is spent on things that don't actually 'sound even better', but only seem to sound better because we're tricking ourselves. Our brain is manufacturing the improvement in sound(imagining an improvement where there is no measurable difference). In actuality, with some upgrades(cables, interconnects, etc) there's no improvement at all, at least if you believe in carefully controlled double blind tests....tests where no one can tell the difference between a stock cable and an expensive aftermarket one. 

post #2313 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejaz View Post

Right, we get bored and want new toys. that's part of being an audiophile I suppose. The point was made about 'expectation bias' because a lot of money is spent on things that don't actually 'sound even better', but only seem to sound better because we're tricking ourselves. Our brain is manufacturing the improvement in sound(imagining an improvement where there is no measurable difference). In actuality, with some upgrades(cables, interconnects, etc) there's no improvement at all, at least if you believe in carefully controlled double blind tests....tests where no one can tell the difference between a stock cable and an expensive aftermarket one. 

 

Or if you believe in scientific measurements. ;)

post #2314 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejaz View Post

Right, we get bored and want new toys. that's part of being an audiophile I suppose. The point was made about 'expectation bias' because a lot of money is spent on things that don't actually 'sound even better', but only seem to sound better because we're tricking ourselves. Our brain is manufacturing the improvement in sound(imagining an improvement where there is no measurable difference). In actuality, with some upgrades(cables, interconnects, etc) there's no improvement at all, at least if you believe in carefully controlled double blind tests....tests where no one can tell the difference between a stock cable and an expensive aftermarket one. 


While I'm skeptical of a noticeable improvement that aftermarket cables might offer... I also wonder how much of an improvement different amps offer. I'm running my HD 600s off of a Fiio E9 (and E10 DAC), and am considering getting an O2 (and ODAC). Would this upgrade be in the 5% improvement category (which my ears would likely not notice), or are we talking night and day improvements here?

post #2315 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee inthe Attic View Post


While I'm skeptical of a noticeable improvement that aftermarket cables might offer... I also wonder how much of an improvement different amps offer. I'm running my HD 600s off of a Fiio E9 (and E10 DAC), and am considering getting an O2 (and ODAC). Would this upgrade be in the 5% improvement category (which my ears would likely not notice), or are we talking night and day improvements here?

In your case I think the DAC would make more of an improvement than the amp, though I have no experience with either the e10 or the ODAC....just going by reviews, which can be hyped. Look forward to what others will say about the two DAC's in question, since I've been considering the e10 for casual listening out of a netbook with a crappy soundcard


Edited by lejaz - 12/10/12 at 4:45pm
post #2316 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee inthe Attic View Post


While I'm skeptical of a noticeable improvement that aftermarket cables might offer... I also wonder how much of an improvement different amps offer. I'm running my HD 600s off of a Fiio E9 (and E10 DAC), and am considering getting an O2 (and ODAC). Would this upgrade be in the 5% improvement category (which my ears would likely not notice), or are we talking night and day improvements here?

 

While not directly answering your question, I noticed a very large difference upgrading from my sound card to the Fiio E17 -> O2.  And then again a large difference upgrading from that to the Audioquest dac/amp. I would say without question the O2 is my favorite portable amp.  Sorry, I have no experience with the ODAC.

post #2317 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejaz View Post

In your case I think the DAC would make more of an improvement than the amp, though I have no experience with either the e10 or the ODAC....just going by reviews, which can be hyped. Look forward to what others will say about the two DAC's in question, since I've been considering the e10 for casual listening out of a netbook with a crappy soundcard

I'm not even sure if I could tell the difference between my HRT Music Streamer II & DAC in my Macbook Pro.

 

Question to all: how much of an improvement would an O2 be over a Fiio E9; and how much of an improvement would an ODAC be over the E10 and Music Streamer II ?

 

Just wondering if a $300 price tag would be worth it, or noticeable to untrained ears, over my gear above. Any thoughts?

post #2318 of 8702

Are we to assume you are using 600s?

post #2319 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmstrmbn View Post

Are we to assume you are using 600s?


Ya, I mentioned that a few posts back.

 

Many here say that the E9 is the bare minimum required to amp the HD 600's, yet that pairing sounds good to me.

But I've never heard them out of a better amp, and am wondering if an O2 will be significantly better.... like $150 better (or $300 with the ODAC)

post #2320 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee inthe Attic View Post


Ya, I mentioned that a few posts back.

 

Many here say that the E9 is the bare minimum required to amp the HD 600's, yet that pairing sounds good to me.

But I've never heard them out of a better amp, and am wondering if an O2 will be significantly better.... like $150 better (or $300 with the ODAC)

e9/e7 combo works great for me... but I haven't heard my HD600s with any better amp/dac.  I know the O2 won't sound $150 better than the e7/e9 though, better sure maybe but not $150 better.

post #2321 of 8702

I can't vouch for the O2/ODAC as of yet (I have a friend who plans on buying it in early January) however I can vouch for the Nuforce HDP.  It is a nice pairing and is quite a capable device.

post #2322 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

e9/e7 combo works great for me... but I haven't heard my HD600s with any better amp/dac.  I know the O2 won't sound $150 better than the e7/e9 though, better sure maybe but not $150 better.

 

Well that's completely subjective obviously. I haven't really noticed a difference using different amps (straight out of mobile devices or with the powered jack on my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1) until I got my Lake People G109 which has quite a bit of power. With the G109 the bass is stronger which I expected based on the impedance curve:

 

 

From what I hear the O2 is decently powerful so I think you would see a bit of an improvement in the bass with it as well. Whether that improvement is worth $150 is up to the user. :) I know with my G109 the HD600s have quality bass that feels strong and has impressive texture. Overall the HD600 is obviously still a little bass-shy compared to some headphones but it definitely seems to improve when given more power.

 

As far as DACs go, I don't have much to compare my HRT MS2 to. It definitely beats all of the built-in DACs I've used (mobile devices, built-in sound card, etc.) especially when used in bit-perfect mode (WASAPI/ASIO). I've read great things about the ODAC but I haven't heard it. Regardless of which DAC you go with I recommend you try it with WASAPI or ASIO, for me the difference was more than I expected it to be (compared to the default Windows DirectSound mixer).

post #2323 of 8702
I've got the o2 and ODAC and they sound really good with my 600's.
Unfortunately the only other DAC/amp I've got to compare is my NI komplete audio 6 and the o2+ODAC combo kills it.
The o2 and ODAC sounds a lot more neutral and a lot more 'speaker-like' as opposed to the other combo.
If you're in Melbourne you can come have a listen
post #2324 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee inthe Attic View Post


While I'm skeptical of a noticeable improvement that aftermarket cables might offer... I also wonder how much of an improvement different amps offer. I'm running my HD 600s off of a Fiio E9 (and E10 DAC), and am considering getting an O2 (and ODAC). Would this upgrade be in the 5% improvement category (which my ears would likely not notice), or are we talking night and day improvements here?

 

I went from the Fiio E10 to the ODAC and have the HD600.

 

The ODAC is clearer and you will notice it on well recorded tracks.

post #2325 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

 

For the record, I don't have experience with aftermarket cables aside from using the HD650 cable on my HD600, which has made no noticeable difference for me so far (just got it a few days ago).

 

I doubt that everyone who has made the 'snake oil' argument has zero experience with recabling.

 

I think the reason why a lot of us feel very skeptical about the potential improvements of recabling is because of exactly the kind of language you've used here. You claim that recabling never makes more than a 5% difference (which a lot of the people here would probably never be able to notice) and yet you claim that you HATE the HD600 with Canare cables. No offense man, you've obviously contributed a whole lot to this community over the years, but I can't take you seriously because of how often you use such extreme language. You apparently hate the HD600 when a Canare cable changes it just 5%. You hate the DJ100 when unamped even though everyone else says amping doesn't effect it. You think the HD580 is way better than the HD600 even though everyone else says they sound virtually identical (probably the only difference being very small manufacturing variances which exist even within the exact same headphone model). I just don't know man.... either your ears are way more sensitive than anyone else's or you're using way too extreme of language to explain what are actually very miniscule differences that most people would never notice or base their headphone judgements on.

This..... beerchug.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread