Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 124

post #1846 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

Although I enjoy the HD600, I am looking for a phone that works better with rock. I'm considering DT880/250, Q701, Grado 325 or SRH940. I'm not a bass head but do like quality and extension rather than a mid bass hump.

Did you find the Q701s work well with rock?

well it depends.... stuff like the rolling stones, tom petty, the who, the doors and CCR sounds amazing with the Q701 with fiio e7/e9 combo.  The tremble bump wasnt annoying at all and i actually miss it listening to the HD600s.  I would say that stuff that i listed was mastered well and recorded well and that was part of the reason it sounded so great.  And then i listen to TV on the radio, The black keys and it sounds..... below un-impressive.  I;m not sure if its due to the lack of a bass guitar in stuff that sounds good compared to the more modern rock or if its because of the whole "loudness war" thing but literally the only artists that i thought sounded amazing through the Q701s was the classic rock i listed everything else was lacking IMO.  and i know the e9/e7 combo make a cold headphone sound even colder I'm not sure how much better other genres would have sounded through a tube amp or a different DAC.

post #1847 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrAdrian View Post

Did you also realize most of the times your happiness with a pair of headphone is inversely proportional to your wallet's weight?

haha and no i dont really think that is true, I could spend a 2 weeks with hd800s or LCD 3s and still say "they sound good but...."  there will almost never be a perfect headphone/system for some one.  Isn't finding the perfect headphone mark when you qualify as an actual "audiophile"?

post #1848 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

well it depends.... stuff like the rolling stones, tom petty, the who, the doors and CCR sounds amazing with the Q701 with fiio e7/e9 combo.  The tremble bump wasnt annoying at all and i actually miss it listening to the HD600s.  I would say that stuff that i listed was mastered well and recorded well and that was part of the reason it sounded so great.  And then i listen to TV on the radio, The black keys and it sounds..... below un-impressive.  I;m not sure if its due to the lack of a bass guitar in stuff that sounds good compared to the more modern rock or if its because of the whole "loudness war" thing but literally the only artists that i thought sounded amazing through the Q701s was the classic rock i listed everything else was lacking IMO.  and i know the e9/e7 combo make a cold headphone sound even colder I'm not sure how much better other genres would have sounded through a tube amp or a different DAC.

Did you definitely favor the Q701 over the HD600 when listening to the same tracks as per the classic rock you stated?

post #1849 of 8005

I don't believe in perfect.

post #1850 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

Did you definitely favor the Q701 over the HD600 when listening to the same tracks as per the classic rock you stated?

Oh yes no doubt the select few artist sounded much better on the Q701s.

 

also would you say that the HD600s are more laid back than the Q701 which seemed much more up front "in your face" but in a good way

post #1851 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

Oh yes no doubt the select few artist sounded much better on the Q701s.

 

also would you say that the HD600s are more laid back than the Q701 which seemed much more up front "in your face" but in a good way

Laid back: that's exactly how I'd describe the 600s.

How's the bass (sub and mid) on the Q701 relative to the 600?

Which genres did you prefer the Senns?

post #1852 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

Laid back: that's exactly how I'd describe the 600s.

I really wonder if it's a good idea to get the 600's over the 650's to have a more "direct/forward" experience than the 650's. I never have figured out if the 650s are just tuned to be a more pleasant version of the 600's or if they are truely better. I'm not a huge fan of "neutral" cans but if the 600's take everything about the 650's and make it less laidback, I may want in.

post #1853 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

Laid back: that's exactly how I'd describe the 600s.

How's the bass (sub and mid) on the Q701 relative to the 600?

Which genres did you prefer the Senns?

I would say with the e7/e9 sub bass was non existent on the Q701s mid bass was there but had small impact (especially compared to the HD600s) the bass apparently changes a lot if you get a warmer DAC or tube amp.

 

I guess for me my prefered genre would be stuff like RJD2 and Justice.  Electronic music mixed with Instruments and what not.  Everything sounds good on the HD600s even lossy mp3s but nothing sounds amazing on them, where as the Q701 had well mastered lossless classic rock sounded amazing and electronic/dubstep was terrible as well as compressed files.

post #1854 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushNerd View Post

I really wonder if it's a good idea to get the 600's over the 650's to have a more "direct/forward" experience than the 650's. I never have figured out if the 650s are just tuned to be a more pleasant version of the 600's or if they are truely better. I'm not a huge fan of "neutral" cans but if the 600's take everything about the 650's and make it less laidback, I may want in.


I have yet to find an artist or amp combination that sounds better with the HD650 than the HD600  (to these ears)...... hence, see classified below.....

post #1855 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post


I have yet to find an artist or amp combination that sounds better with the HD650 than the HD600  (to these ears)...... hence, see classified below.....

What kind of music do you prefer with them? It never occured to me before that the 650 which is so highly praised could just be a non offending HD600 lol.

post #1856 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

I have both FX700 and HD600. For rock, jazz, trance, dub step, and pop, I prefer the JVC's. The FX700 is known as the king of timbre and from comparisons with other IEMs, I have to agree.

The FX700 has great dynamic range, detail and wide soundstage. I really enjoy the FX700.  The HD600 is more mid forward with a larger soundstage as expected from a full size phone. The FX700 has better quality with lower extension and quantity bass, greater quantity/quality and extension and detail in the highs.

The FX700 doesn't require an amp and I find them very comfortable. They are both very different.

Thanks for your input.  You talked mostly about how the FX700 is better.  Does that mean you in general like them better or were you just highlighting the positive qualitites?  As I said originally, I really like the HD600s.  They are really a great set of headphones but I've just never been fully satisfied with them.  I just wish the tone character had more flesh on its bones, maybe more dynamics both macro and micro.  I dunno, for all of its great qualities it just doesn't engage me.  Would you say the FX700 is more engaging especially in the context of the order of preference I listed?  The reason why I am hemming and hawing here is I really want to upgrade my headphones and will probably do it in 6 months.  I could use a pair of iems now that doesn't block outside sound although I could live without them.  I came across the FX700 which sounds like it might satisfy both needs.  I'm affraid of buying these, still not being satisfied and still needing to drop a bundle of money down the road.  I know this is all subjective and you can't answer definitively which option would be best.  But I think your perspective on my situation would help me make a better choice.  Thanks!

post #1857 of 8005

3 weeks has pass since I got this and I'm enjoying this immensely. Mids are fantastic can't fault them in this area. Winds and strings instruments sound incredible, very lifelike and vocals is perfect, neither too thin like the d2000 nor is it too thick. Overall a very smooth sounding headphone often find myself listening to it hours at a time.

post #1858 of 8005

hahaha this was just posted up on the "beats by dre suck" facebook page and I thought it was pretty funny:

"realistic bass"

 

post #1859 of 8005

The HD600 is said to be bad for metal and rock because it's not fast enough and it's too laid back, but will it impress me and sound exciting at louder volumes? The HD600 has forward mids and a somewhat laid back treble. It makes sense for a person that listens to lower volumes to find it laid back sinse a headphone requires a more exciting treble to sound exciting at lower volumes. However, I find that headphone with a louder treble (grado's, I haven't listened to them but people say their treble is harsh) sound boring at louder volumes because the treble becomes way too harsh which doesn't let me listen to the necessary volumes to get the most out of the mids. Headphones that have a sharp treble don't allow me to listen to louder volumes, thus forcing me to listen at lower volumes making it sound more distant. Since the HD600 has forward mids and a smooth treble, will it impress me a louder volumes and will it be a good option for rock and metal, or will it still sound boring?

post #1860 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmettMark View Post

The HD600 is said to be bad for metal and rock because it's not fast enough and it's too laid back, but will it impress me and sound exciting at louder volumes? The HD600 has forward mids and a somewhat laid back treble. It makes sense for a person that listens to lower volumes to find it laid back sinse a headphone requires a more exciting treble to sound exciting at lower volumes. However, I find that headphone with a louder treble (grado's, I haven't listened to them but people say their treble is harsh) sound boring at louder volumes because the treble becomes way too harsh which doesn't let me listen to the necessary volumes to get the most out of the mids. Headphones that have a sharp treble don't allow me to listen to louder volumes, thus forcing me to listen at lower volumes making it sound more distant. Since the HD600 has forward mids and a smooth treble, will it impress me a louder volumes and will it be a good option for rock and metal, or will it still sound boring?

In my experience the HD600 will not be good for for rock and metal.  Let me re-phrase that: it will sound good but it won't impress you.  Increasing the volume will not make the tremble sound more upfront it will still sound laid back. Do you listen to a lot of different genres as well? If not I would look into some AKGs (Q701 sounded extremely good with rock for me but made some genres sound horrible) Where as the HD600 makes every genre sound good but makes nothing sound amazing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread