or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 118

post #1756 of 17154

so just been doing a little comparative listening between the hd 600 and srh 840. So i'm noticing more bass from the shures, as expected. In fact, i think the hd 600 is almost TOO realistic for stuff like electronica. Sound stage seems better in the hd 600 and detail to boot. Biggest difference i've noticed is the added air (i think thats what you call it?) from the hd 600. Anyone had a similar experience?

post #1757 of 17154

Finally got them sounding the way I like them. The ODAC has helped somewhat. Previously I did prefer the HD-580 by far (stock cable only normal_smile%20.gif). The reason is just due to limiting the air getting to the driver.

Honestly the only thing holding back the HD-600 for me is it's bass. Slightly too much for my preferences, but I'm sure it's fine for 90% of people. IMO it sounds like slightly more than neutral, but pretty close.

I put a small square of adhesive Creatology foam on the back of the driver but ONLY covering the round part. The driver still gets air and it doesn't magically blow up.

 

I don't know how that crappy (rear) foam removal mod got popular. It kills the sound (IMO) and this one is about 100x better and nobody ever tried it. The HD-600 seems designed like a closed headphone. Pretty weird.

 

The upper/mid bass is reduced a little (not a lot at all) and they're not much clearer and more detailed. I don't know why this would make them change so dramatically. They're now less forgiving of bad recordings.

It seems like previously it seemed to smooth over a lot of my bad recordings and make it easier on the ears. Not sure how it did this. To me this "veil" nonsense is caused by the bass and doesn't always appear.

The HD-580 doesn't seem to have this issue.

 

Right now it's similar to the HD-580, but even clearer than that and with a similar amount of bass, but a larger soundstage. Something has my ears fooled, but that's what i'm hearing.

 

Now the modded HD-600 is probably the flattest headphone i've heard. I prefer the Q701 sound, but now it's a closer match and a comparison needs to be done.

 

I'd love for someone else to use the exact same foam I did and measure it. Maybe I can send in a pair to Tyll or something. I can understand people not wanting to try this due to risk.

It's actually stupid easy to do and takes me 1 minute.

 

Remove cable, headband and grills. The adhesive foam is the same type used on the HD-800 Anax mod. Creatology foam. Costs $2 at Michael's.

BTW to reduce the stickyness you can press it against your fingers a few times. It's not that sticky to begin with. DO NOT remove the foam already in place.

 

Such a simple mod and seems to improve the HD-600 more than even all those Grado and DJ100 mods i've done in the past.

 

BTW I wonder if the HD-650's driver gets more air than the HD-600. I bet it does!

post #1758 of 17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecansmancan View Post

so just been doing a little comparative listening between the hd 600 and srh 840. So i'm noticing more bass from the shures, as expected. In fact, i think the hd 600 is almost TOO realistic for stuff like electronica. Sound stage seems better in the hd 600 and detail to boot. Biggest difference i've noticed is the added air (i think thats what you call it?) from the hd 600. Anyone had a similar experience?

 

You're comparing a closed headphone to an open one - so naturally the bass will be slightly more emphasised in the SRH840, and the soundstage will be wider and deeper in the HD600.

 

Both have a mid-bass hump, although from memory the SRH840 has a little more of a hump than the HD600.  The only thing I didn't like about the SRH840 was that the bass could get a little too boomy sometimes.  The HD600 sounds a lot more accurate - and definitely has a lot more texture and refinement.

 

They're 2 cans that I really like - and am still seriously considering repurchasing the SRH840 again - if I decide I need a closed can.

post #1759 of 17154

It's odd. Every time a get a new pair of cans i seem to rediscover my music. i agree. The hd 600 is my first open can and its like eek.gif...sound stage, air...mind blow. 

post #1760 of 17154

I've had my HD600's for a while now...I absolutely love them, but I think I may have a sensitivity to higher pitches.  I noticed this with my first pair of HD555's and although it has been reduced with the HD600's, I still notice it when passages in the music get a bit climatic (volume wise).  I'm using a Xonar Essence ST...and this is one of the best sound cards I've ever owned, both my speakers and headphones sound amazing with it...but I was wondering if I switched to something dedicated for the headphones (DAC/Amp) if it might reduce the sharpness I tend to get with higher pitches?  I'd prefer something for the desktop as I do all of my listening at home...on the computer.  I do not care for portability....yet!

 

Would something in the tube area possibly fix this problem for me?  I hear they can create a warmer sound and I've had my eye on the Schiit Valhalla for quite a while now.  I dont really want to change the HD600's into something its not...but I would like a slight improvement, mellowing out louder, high pitched sounds.  I mainly listen to classical, strings...and in some concertos and quartets, the violins can really pierce my ears. 

 

Being that I love my sound card, would it be necessary to get a DAC if I went this route...or can I still use my card?  The card has a DAC on it....but will it work nicely with an amp like the Valhalla?

 

Thanks in advance!


Edited by StringBoi - 9/12/12 at 7:51pm
post #1761 of 17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBoi View Post

I've had my HD600's for a while now...I absolutely love them, but I think I may have a sensitivity to higher pitches.  I noticed this with my first pair of HD555's and although it has been reduced with the HD600's, I still notice it when passages in the music get a bit climatic (volume wise).  I'm using a Xonar Essence ST...and this is one of the best sound cards I've ever owned, both my speakers and headphones sound amazing with it...but I was wondering if I switched to something dedicated for the headphones (DAC/Amp) if it might reduce the sharpness I tend to get with higher pitches?  I'd prefer something for the desktop as I do all of my listening at home...on the computer.  I do not care for portability....yet!

 

Would something in the tube area possibly fix this problem for me?  I hear they can create a warmer sound and I've had my eye on the Schiit Valhalla for quite a while now.  I dont really want to change the HD600's into something its not...but I would like a slight improvement, mellowing out louder, high pitched sounds.  I mainly listen to classical, strings...and in some concertos and quartets, the violins can really pierce my ears. 

 

Being that I love my sound card, would it be necessary to get a DAC if I went this route...or can I still use my card?  The card has a DAC on it....but will it work nicely with an amp like the Valhalla?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Interesting. I wouldn't think the HD600 would be a headphone that caused this problem but maybe its a bit more spiked in the treble than I realize. In any case I think you would absolutely hate something like the Beyerdynamics because they are much more spiked in the high frequencies. If you can somehow try out another DAC and/or amp, maybe try your headphones on someone else's setup, then maybe you can get an idea as to how much of it is the sound card. But honestly, I suspect it isn't the sound card. If you're just quite sensitive to high frequencies then, like I said, stay away from the Beyers and others that have treble spikes but that doesn't include the 555 and 600 in my mind. You may need something with straight-up recessed treble. Unfortunately I can't recommend anything in that regard but I'm sure others can.

 

Oh, have you tried EQ'ing and how did you find it?

post #1762 of 17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBoi View Post

I've had my HD600's for a while now...I absolutely love them, but I think I may have a sensitivity to higher pitches.  I noticed this with my first pair of HD555's and although it has been reduced with the HD600's, I still notice it when passages in the music get a bit climatic (volume wise).  I'm using a Xonar Essence ST...and this is one of the best sound cards I've ever owned, both my speakers and headphones sound amazing with it...but I was wondering if I switched to something dedicated for the headphones (DAC/Amp) if it might reduce the sharpness I tend to get with higher pitches?  I'd prefer something for the desktop as I do all of my listening at home...on the computer.  I do not care for portability....yet!

 

Would something in the tube area possibly fix this problem for me?  I hear they can create a warmer sound and I've had my eye on the Schiit Valhalla for quite a while now.  I dont really want to change the 600's into something its not...but I would like a slight improvement, mellowing out louder, high pitched sounds.  I mainly listen to classical, strings...and in some concertos and quartets, the violins can really pierce my ears. 

 

Being that I love my sound card, would it be necessary to get a DAC if I went this route...or can I still use my card?  The card has a DAC on it....but will it work nicely with an amp like the Valhalla?

 

Thanks in advance!

The headroom graph shows a small rise around 3k(see link). It's pretty small, but relative to the 1.5 k area it's about 4dB up. I guess it's possible that's what you're hearing. To my ears it makes them a bit brighter in the upper mids than some other phones I've heard (look at the other phones in the graph). I can't imagine that it's in the treble area, where they're pretty relaxed. Mine can be sibilant on occasion, which you wouldn't expect from seeing that graph. I think the sibilance is probably in the recordings: http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=283&graphID%5B1%5D=573&graphID%5B2%5D=223&graphID%5B3%5D=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones


Edited by lejaz - 9/13/12 at 7:50am
post #1763 of 17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBoi View Post

I've had my HD600's for a while now...I absolutely love them, but I think I may have a sensitivity to higher pitches.  I noticed this with my first pair of HD555's and although it has been reduced with the HD600's, I still notice it when passages in the music get a bit climatic (volume wise).  I'm using a Xonar Essence ST...and this is one of the best sound cards I've ever owned, both my speakers and headphones sound amazing with it...but I was wondering if I switched to something dedicated for the headphones (DAC/Amp) if it might reduce the sharpness I tend to get with higher pitches?  I'd prefer something for the desktop as I do all of my listening at home...on the computer.  I do not care for portability....yet!

 

Would something in the tube area possibly fix this problem for me?  I hear they can create a warmer sound and I've had my eye on the Schiit Valhalla for quite a while now.  I dont really want to change the HD600's into something its not...but I would like a slight improvement, mellowing out louder, high pitched sounds.  I mainly listen to classical, strings...and in some concertos and quartets, the violins can really pierce my ears. 

 

Being that I love my sound card, would it be necessary to get a DAC if I went this route...or can I still use my card?  The card has a DAC on it....but will it work nicely with an amp like the Valhalla?

 

Thanks in advance!

That sounds more like a source issue.  I'm using the 600s with a Nuforce HDP and the treble is only peaky on poorly mastered files.  I too used to have the 555s and they are much peakier in the highs and can be down right piercing at louder volumes. What are you using as a music player?  I have a mac and I have tried many of the audiophile players and they are a clear improvement over iTunes.  

post #1764 of 17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebauer View Post


as long as you understand that you want the warm distorted sound of tubes and lamp-chord wiring, then that machine you're using to reproduce the music is the perfect machine for you. for, me, wanting a clear image -- like a photograph taken with canon L lenses instead of coke-bottle lenses -- then the jena cable is what i've heard sound the clearest on difficult recordings. typically, i can hear the lyrics on old recordings as actual words instead of the hidden content of singing voices, with better cable. if i were listening to an electric guitar, chet atkins maybe, i'd want only that sound, would listen to it on an old AM delco while on the road, and not care that much what exactly the jordonaires were saying, the background instruments that much: wouldn't need to hear exactly and simultaneously as counterpoint what the boys in the band were doing. but, if i were listening to wes montgomery in my head and at home, i'd want to hear everything each member of the quartet was saying about the song. it's a question of what kind of buzz you want: skin pop or head bend. my head gets bent by music: i've been f'd by music since i was 2.

 

for me, it's not a placebo effect, anymore than swapping from strings on tin cans to a telephone is placebo. it's pretty obvious, if you do the auditioning.

 

hi mike. 

i like the gist of your post....i havent heard a jena, i will look out for it.

 

my basic love with the hd600 started when i bought a stock can...

a friend offered me  another hd600 that came with a brandedcable,  on the cheap, so i did a sidebyside a/b on my BCL...

the improvement to my ears was clearly superior n immediate ...to my taste...so i sold off the stock can.

It is legitimate to post my personal experience for others to explore if they so wish. 

( i cant explain it in more technical terms y i am hearing the improvements...too darn tired after my day's work..;p )

 

At the other end of the spectrum, i believe there will be some who honestly, sincerely DIDNT/CANT hear a diff, on their setup...so they are right too.

and i do think these are the lucky ones...hehehe. Lets respect each other...this is a hobby..enjoy and cheers!!!

post #1765 of 17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

 

Interesting. I wouldn't think the HD600 would be a headphone that caused this problem but maybe its a bit more spiked in the treble than I realize. In any case I think you would absolutely hate something like the Beyerdynamics because they are much more spiked in the high frequencies. If you can somehow try out another DAC and/or amp, maybe try your headphones on someone else's setup, then maybe you can get an idea as to how much of it is the sound card. But honestly, I suspect it isn't the sound card. If you're just quite sensitive to high frequencies then, like I said, stay away from the Beyers and others that have treble spikes but that doesn't include the 555 and 600 in my mind. You may need something with straight-up recessed treble. Unfortunately I can't recommend anything in that regard but I'm sure others can.

 

Oh, have you tried EQ'ing and how did you find it?

 

I havnt tried EQ'ing the headphones yet....I did do some reading about this on the how to thread here, but I never got everything to work correctly to really get into it.  Theres also the issue of then having to EQ my speakers and creating two EQ profiles and switching back and forth all the time depending on which I'm using.  I think my ears may be more of the problem, rather than the headphones.  I had an HT-Omega Claro sound card before getting the Xonar and I had the same issue with my 555's with the Claro card.  It did go away quite a bit when getting the Xonar and HD600's...but there are still some times where the issue pops up. 

 

I dont know if the volume is just too loud at some points or what....but its hard to control volume in classical music when the dynamics are constantly changing.  If the music starts out very low, and builds to a very high climax....I want to hear it the way the orchestra, quartet or soloist and recording masters intended it to be.  Again, the issue isnt all the time, and I was hoping there would maybe be something I could change to make these transitions smoother on the ear, without having to get new cans.  I absolutely love them and wouldnt give them up either way.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmstrmbn View Post

That sounds more like a source issue.  I'm using the 600s with a Nuforce HDP and the treble is only peaky on poorly mastered files.  I too used to have the 555s and they are much peakier in the highs and can be down right piercing at louder volumes. What are you using as a music player?  I have a mac and I have tried many of the audiophile players and they are a clear improvement over iTunes.  

 



I'm playing back about 95% of my music in FLAC format, through Foobar WASAPI.  

post #1766 of 17154

Hey guys, quick question. I've got a pair of the HD 600's, and I absolutely love them, but I'm looking to get an amp for them. What would be a good starter amp to power these cans, preferably around the $200 range. I've been looking at the Fiio E7+E9 and the O2+ODAC (which I know is going to be closer to $300, but if it's the best option, I'd be open to it). Any other recommendations would be welcome as well, thanks!

post #1767 of 17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaLicca View Post

Hey guys, quick question. I've got a pair of the HD 600's, and I absolutely love them, but I'm looking to get an amp for them. What would be a good starter amp to power these cans, preferably around the $200 range. I've been looking at the Fiio E7+E9 and the O2+ODAC (which I know is going to be closer to $300, but if it's the best option, I'd be open to it). Any other recommendations would be welcome as well, thanks!

 

If the dac/amp doesn't need to be portable, I really like the NFB-12.  Well built, sounds great, and for it's features (inputs/outputs/filters), it's a bargain at just over the $200 mark.

post #1768 of 17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaLicca View Post

Hey guys, quick question. I've got a pair of the HD 600's, and I absolutely love them, but I'm looking to get an amp for them. What would be a good starter amp to power these cans, preferably around the $200 range. I've been looking at the Fiio E7+E9 and the O2+ODAC (which I know is going to be closer to $300, but if it's the best option, I'd be open to it). Any other recommendations would be welcome as well, thanks!

 

Another recommendation, if you don't need it to be portable, would be the Lake People G103 (~$250).

post #1769 of 17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaLicca View Post

Hey guys, quick question. I've got a pair of the HD 600's, and I absolutely love them, but I'm looking to get an amp for them. What would be a good starter amp to power these cans, preferably around the $200 range. I've been looking at the Fiio E7+E9 and the O2+ODAC (which I know is going to be closer to $300, but if it's the best option, I'd be open to it). Any other recommendations would be welcome as well, thanks!

yeah, i'm sort with this guy here. Except i need it to be portable. I've heard great things about odac/o2 synergy with the hd600. I'd have it all sorta built into a brief case, with a netbook for source. I just want to be completely power outlet independent. Thus far the o2/odac is looking like the best option. 

 

just a side not but the hd600 will NOT become my portable. However i would like this rig to be home and portable.

 

help?

post #1770 of 17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecansmancan View Post

yeah, i'm sort with this guy here. Except i need it to be portable. I've heard great things about odac/o2 synergy with the hd600. I'd have it all sorta built into a brief case, with a netbook for source. I just want to be completely power outlet independent. Thus far the o2/odac is looking like the best option. 

 

just a side not but the hd600 will NOT become my portable. However i would like this rig to be home and portable.

 

help?

 

Not a recommendation as such (as I haven't heard it) - but before I bought my Arrow I looked into the Leckerton UHA-4 (http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-4/), and was very tempted.  Only reason I didn't jump at it was because I didn't really need the dac, and I wanted the ability to drive my DT880 600s as well as the HD600s.

 

Maybe do some research on it - and ask one of the actual owners on head-fi for more info. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread