or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 109

post #1621 of 17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

but isn't the ah-d2000 a closed or semi-closed headphone meaning wont it sound a bit worse than an open headphone?

 

Ummmmm....no

post #1622 of 17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Have you compared the mid-bass any? Maybe try to see which one has the fuller sounding mids.

On my E9 I can't spot any difference between the HD-650 and HD-600 cable. Even with my HRT DAC.

 

I was watching LOTR: The Two Towers the other day with my E9 using an HD-650 cable. Sounded fine..switched to my Micro Amp and there was clearly more mid-bass and more forward mids. Almost to the point of being annoying. The whole sound was much "thicker" and fuller. Didn't prefer that though.

I switched back to stock cable and everything was perfect and back to normal. The Micro Amp I have isn't very colored, so that wasn't it. I wonder why I didn't hear this on the E9?

 

Some say the 600 and 650 cable use the same grade of cable and are the same gauge inside. I don't think this is true.

 

My DHC cable seems closer in sound to the HD-650 cable. I don't use that any more. Has anyone tried an HD-600 cable on the HD-650? No i'm not joking. I'm one of the few who prefer the stock cable on the HD-600. There must be a reason Sennheiser uses this cable. Not to keep costs down..

 

I've mentioned this before, but attaching an HD-650 cable to the 598 is amusing to say the least biggrin.gif

 

Also..I loved the Asgard with the HD-600, but it's my least favorite amp. I'm more into the AKG sound and the Asgard is awful with the K702 and K601 IMO. Asgard was also great with the D2000, but it hated the ATH-AD2000. Asgard must be slightly colored. I guess they call it "musical" normal_smile%20.gif

 

I'm now a believer the HRT MSII has slightly forward mids and somewhat edgy treble. Most will only notice this on specific headphones with extra treble and forward upper mids (perfect on HD-600). Mostly on very bad recordings. My HRT has a small soundstage too, but I didn't want to believe that at first. It's bigger on my full sized CD player.

you said you loved the asgard on the hd600 but its your least favorite amp, is there a better one in the same price range or will it fit perfectly with the HD600?

post #1623 of 17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

Do you think the HD600 is good for rock and pop rock? Thats the genre I mostly listen to. Which genre do you think it sounds best at?
I use my HD600 for blues, rock, and music with alot of guitarwork. Get this headphone before it's gone. To me, a headphone person should have one.
post #1624 of 17133

The Asgard is very good with the HD600.  You won't find better than $180 (for a used one) to drive the HD600s.
 

post #1625 of 17133

Why is the HD600 considered laid back? Im asking this to have a more clear idea of what it sounds like and if will sound laid back for me. Is there a specific thing in the sound signature which makes it laid back? Is it because the highs aren't bright enough, is it because it sounds dark rather than bright, etc. I know it can't be the mids because everyone says the mids are very forward.

post #1626 of 17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0sferatu View Post

 

Ummmmm....no

 

Don't waste your breath. He knew what he was getting before he even posted here. He's just looking for reassurances.

post #1627 of 17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

Why is the HD600 considered laid back? Im asking this to have a more clear idea of what it sounds like and if will sound laid back for me. Is there a specific thing in the sound signature which makes it laid back? Is it because the highs aren't bright enough, is it because it sounds dark rather than bright, etc. I know it can't be the mids because everyone says the mids are very forward.

 

Daniel, if you want a green crayon, ask for help finding a green crayon. The HD 600 is orange. No matter how many times, in how many ways you ask, it will not change to green...  wink.gif

 

Seriously, I owned the HD 600 and sold it because it wasn't as dynamic as I wanted. It is a neutral, smooth, soft on detail headphone that is neither bright on top nor authoritative down below. It's about as middle-of-the-road as you can get. It's lovely and people covet them, but it's not what you're looking for.

 

The Denon D2000 is what you want. No DAC. No amp. Plug it right into your iPod and you'll be in heaven.


Edited by palmfish - 8/15/12 at 5:05pm
post #1628 of 17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

 

Don't waste your breath. He knew what he was getting before he even posted here. He's just looking for reassurances.

I just want to get different opinions since they vary a lot. It's hard for me to pick cans because I don't have a place to try it out and I'm not planning in upgrading for a long time. One person says the hd600 is perfect for me while you say the denon d2000 is the one I should get. Guess I'll have to search a bit more ;)

post #1629 of 17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

I just want to get different opinions since they vary a lot. It's hard for me to pick cans because I don't have a place to try it out and I'm not planning in upgrading for a long time. One person says the hd600 is perfect for me while you say the denon d2000 is the one I should get. Guess I'll have to search a bit more ;)


No two people in the forums will tell you the same thing because everyone has different hearing, different upstream gear, and most importantly, different expectations and biases.

 

One thing that most people who have owned the HD600 tend to agree on (in general terms) is that the HD 600 is a terrific, Jack-of-all-trades but master of none headphone. That's actually the HD600's appeal - unlike 99% of the headphones out there, the HD600 has no real faults.

 

It's an easy listen, not an "exciting" listen.


Edited by palmfish - 8/15/12 at 5:37pm
post #1630 of 17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post


No two people in the forums will tell you the same thing because everyone has different hearing, different upstream gear, and most importantly, different expectations and biases.

 

One thing that most people who have owned the HD600 tend to agree on (in general terms) is that the HD 600 is a terrific, Jack-of-all-trades but master of none headphone. That's actually the HD600's appeal - unlike 99% of the headphones out there, the HD600 has no real faults.

 

It's an easy listen, not an "exciting" listen.


It sounds pretty exciting to me after listening to a m50 .....

post #1631 of 17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post


No two people in the forums will tell you the same thing because everyone has different hearing, different upstream gear, and most importantly, different expectations and biases.

 

One thing that most people who have owned the HD600 tend to agree on (in general terms) is that the HD 600 is a terrific, Jack-of-all-trades but master of none headphone. That's actually the HD600's appeal - unlike 99% of the headphones out there, the HD600 has no real faults.

 

It's an easy listen, not an "exciting" listen.

I see, do you think the denons will be a great can for rock and pop rock? Also, I know N0sferato kinda answered this but since the d2000 is a semi open design rather than open (I'm not sure, prove me if I'm wrong) so will it have a less airy sound than an open headphone? (I'm a noob at this)

post #1632 of 17133
X2, with one exception. Exciting is relative. I get excited when I hear music that sounds natural and real to me, as if you're two rows back from the stage in a small venue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post


No two people in the forums will tell you the same thing because everyone has different hearing, different upstream gear, and most importantly, different expectations and biases.

One thing that most people who have owned the HD600 tend to agree on (in general terms) is that the HD 600 is a terrific, Jack-of-all-trades but master of none headphone. That's actually the HD600's appeal - unlike 99% of the headphones out there, the HD600 has no real faults.

It's an easy listen, not an "exciting" listen.
post #1633 of 17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

I see, do you think the denons will be a great can for rock and pop rock? Also, I know N0sferato kinda answered this but since the d2000 is a semi open design rather than open (I'm not sure, prove me if I'm wrong) so will it have a less airy sound than an open headphone? (I'm a noob at this)

 

You'll get many people who disagree on this topic, but in my opinion, the design of a headphone (open or closed) is not necessarily a predictor of whether a headphone is airy/spacious sounding or not.

 

I've heard plenty of open headphones that sounded dark and closed-in, and in the case of the Denons (I own D7000's and my daughter owns D2000's), they sound nice and open and spacious to me.

post #1634 of 17133

i think u wont go wrong with the hd600....the mids are definitely more forward vs the d2000...since u said u are looking for forward mids.

The bite on the asgard will add more grit to the sound of the hd600...at the moment my hybrid LYR is doing great on the hd600. i like a little tubey organic flavor to my music.

 

hd600 is never unexciting...it will faithfully play u the music that u have. u can add silver rca cables if u need more sparkle in your setup..

just tune it further to suit your taste.

post #1635 of 17133

And that's a good example of differing opinions. No one's right or wrong, but my opinion of the HD600 is completely different. I tried it with the Asgard and was unimpressed.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread