Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 10

post #136 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiu View Post





I live in Taipei. I saw Cardas in Music HiFi store fore 3200NTD and it is too long for my application. that is why I use up my remaining ALO SXC brought back from USA to made this cable. the total cost of the cable is about the same price as retail Cardas I saw. I have 5 pair of Cardas Sennheiser plug remaining. not sure if I want to make a Mogami or Canare version for myself . May not be good because Mogami sound darker than SXC. I can make one or two as practice piece. 

 

Headphone cable is hard to get in Taipei. all I saw is either pre-made stereo interconnect, speaker cable. only thing that can be used in headphone is Canare Starquad. the worst case will be I hae to order everything oversea.

 

I am just a beginner, my work is pretty crappy

DSC_2785.jpg

P1070177.jpg

P1050549.JPG


That's some good trash do you understand me?

post #137 of 17649

Ok this post is for the people who wanted to know about the HD600 + FiiO E7/E9 and just the HD600 unamped.

 

Simply, there is definitely a great improvement with the FiiO E7/E9. The E9 is what really makes the HD600 "shine".

 

So first, without an amp, the HD600 will sound pretty flat and boring. You can definitely turn the volume up and hear everything, but the clarity and detail just isn't there. There's no layering in the sound and it's just really straight forward sounding. Also, it feels a little slow. It simply won't do the HD600 justice.

 

On the other hand, when you put it through the FiiO E7/E9 combo, that's when the HD600 will come alive and "shine". The mids are brought out and the bass becomes well rounded and full. The detail and clarity is evident, every sound is well rounded and not flat. It plays all the details in the music without any effort at all. I think the E9 adds a little bit of warmness which sounds great in my opinion.

 

Also, just putting it through the E7 won't be any good either, although it would be better than going unamped. The E9 is what gets the job done.

 

Hope this helps! smile.gif

post #138 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssavage View Post





Yeah how much are those cables worth in parts anyway? I hope it would be cheaper to make them


 

Depends on the cable, but most of the cables I own cost under $150 in parts. Some cost less than $80-90. The rest is for quality labour and warranty.

post #139 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysfail View Post

Ok this post is for the people who wanted to know about the HD600 + FiiO E7/E9 and just the HD600 unamped.

 

Simply, there is definitely a great improvement with the FiiO E7/E9. The E9 is what really makes the HD600 "shine".

 

So first, without an amp, the HD600 will sound pretty flat and boring. You can definitely turn the volume up and hear everything, but the clarity and detail just isn't there. There's no layering in the sound and it's just really straight forward sounding. Also, it feels a little slow. It simply won't do the HD600 justice.

 

On the other hand, when you put it through the FiiO E7/E9 combo, that's when the HD600 will come alive and "shine". The mids are brought out and the bass becomes well rounded and full. The detail and clarity is evident, every sound is well rounded and not flat. It plays all the details in the music without any effort at all. I think the E9 adds a little bit of warmness which sounds great in my opinion.

 

Also, just putting it through the E7 won't be any good either, although it would be better than going unamped. The E9 is what gets the job done.

 

Hope this helps! smile.gif


ugh looks like I'm going to add the e16 to my list. Too many things to pay for! I also wanna start cable Diy-ing but I need to learn all the basics and buy a good soldering iron and whatnot. Oh this hobby..

post #140 of 17649

Waiting on E16 impressions!

 

I heard lots of amps at the meet today, I'm very excited to purchase one. Any thoughts on the Matrix Mini?

post #141 of 17649

Glad to here from you. I am sure your work is better than that. I also want to re-cable my Beyer Dt 880 and Shure SRH 840's...

 

I have come to the conclusion that I need to buy the cables from the US - it is the only way. I know people here who could give it a shot but - to be honest - I don't really trust them to do a good job of it. I'd rather find someone who could make the cable and then after getting it here - ask someone to help me re-cable the Beyers...At least the Cardas cable can just be plugged into the HD600 as easily as pie...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiu View Post





I live in Taipei. I saw Cardas in Music HiFi store fore 3200NTD and it is too long for my application. that is why I use up my remaining ALO SXC brought back from USA to made this cable. the total cost of the cable is about the same price as retail Cardas I saw. I have 5 pair of Cardas Sennheiser plug remaining. not sure if I want to make a Mogami or Canare version for myself . May not be good because Mogami sound darker than SXC. I can make one or two as practice piece. 

 

Headphone cable is hard to get in Taipei. all I saw is either pre-made stereo interconnect, speaker cable. only thing that can be used in headphone is Canare Starquad. the worst case will be I hae to order everything oversea.

 

I am just a beginner, my work is pretty crappy

DSC_2785.jpg

P1070177.jpg

P1050549.JPG



 

post #142 of 17649

 

 So, upon hearing them with some more powerful amps, they aren't necessarily veiled with the E7, but they are NOWHERE near their potential.

 

Gotta love the Times New Roman....

 

 

Considering an iBasso D6. Sound good?

post #143 of 17649

After a long hiatus, I recently started using my HD-600's again and replaced the stock cable with the HD-650 cable and plugged it into my DV amp and realized how good these headphones really are.  I used to feel that these headphones had zero bass, but with the DV amp, it has the right amount. The music coming through these cans have much more body and detail.

post #144 of 17649

with e7 it might not be enough, but with the e7 and e9 will it power it sufficiently?

post #145 of 17649

 The E9 was the ONE amp missing from the bay area meet. ARGH! 

post #146 of 17649

The E9 looks nice and has alot of features but I am skeptical it will have enough push to properly amp the HD600.

post #147 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

The E9 looks nice and has alot of features but I am skeptical it will have enough push to properly amp the HD600.


Apparently it can power the Large Hadron Collider. Anything beyond that is just pixie dust. Just ask the noobs. popcorn.gif

post #148 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssavage View Post

with e7 it might not be enough, but with the e7 and e9 will it power it sufficiently?


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

The E9 looks nice and has alot of features but I am skeptical it will have enough push to properly amp the HD600.


I think the E9 powers the HD600 very well, they sound much nicer with the E9 than with just the E7 or unamped. Though a MUCH more expensive amp could probably squeeze out the last percentages of the HD600's potential.

post #149 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysfail View Post


I think the E9 powers the HD600 very well, they sound much nicer with the E9 than with just the E7 or unamped. Though a MUCH more expensive amp could probably squeeze out the last percentages of the HD600's potential.


I just got my Schiit Asgard in the mail.  The uDAC gets 90% of the way there in performance - bass and peak transient control (where the peak voltages are reached) are the only real differences.  The Asgard is of course better in that respect; but with just the uDAC it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong or missing.

post #150 of 17649

What amp/dac do you guys use for your 600s?

 

I'm considering ordering a pair, but need an amp and a dac.

 

The e7/e9 combo appeals to me slightly because I can also use the e7 on the go with my IEMs. Then again, I remember being in a shop many years ago and listening to a great setup with a tube amp/components, and part of me wants to go in that direction.

 

I'm listening to jazz, some rock, radiohead, some classical and some hip-hop.

 

Any input regarding tube vs ss for this type of music with these phones? Recommendations?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread