or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread - Page 88

post #1306 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post



 



Well..the HD-580 doesn't sound like the 600. Very similar and same driver. The grill changes the sound a little. HD-580 is very musical to me. The HD-600 less so..(for me)

 

Neither are perfectly neutral IMO. I would say the HD-580 is slightly more colored due to it's more forward upper mids and treble.

This is the only reason it's a little more "fun" for me.

 

Someone is a genius if they can tell me why my HD-600 makes my garbage tracks sound better than they really are. Isn't that itself a coloration?

My HD-580 makes my garbage music sounds like garbage and the HD-600 doesn't. I won't say anything..

 

BTW the upper mids on the HD-580 can often be somewhat fatiguing. Much more so than the HD-600.


It sounds like you were just listening to them at different volumes or with different equipment. The HD 580's upper mids aren't that loud at all. The HD 650's have more upper-mid presence. 

 

post #1307 of 17469

So I currently have M50's, HD558's, and a set of HD650's. I stumbled into an opportunity to pick up a set of HD600's from a friend for a good price...    Already owning the HD558's and HD650's, would you folks consider the HD600's a large enough change in sound signature and features to warrant owning both the HD600's and HD650's?  In this case, money isn't really a concern, nor is owning several types of cans.. Just curious!   I love my 558's and 650's, they provide a different enough sound to me that I use them for different purposes and get loved equally. 

 

Thanks!

post #1308 of 17469

hey careful; that pic, you'll scrape your knee!

The 600s are a friends but he won't let you audition them?

I recently got some 600s and frankly can't imagine MOR bass that the 650s have. Other descriptions are "warmer", the 600s don't seem bright to me; just nicely balanced. If your in the neighborhood drop in.

Watch some Motogp or WSBK or BSB......


Edited by ri_toast - 3/28/12 at 4:03pm
post #1309 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri_toast View Post

hey careful; that pic, you'll scrape your knee!

The 600s are a friends but he won't let you audition them?

I recently got some 600s and frankly can't imagine MOR bass that the 650s have. Other descriptions are "warmer", the 600s don't seem bright to me; just nicely balanced. If your in the neighborhood drop in.

Watch some Motogp or WSBK or BSB......


Hah! Thanks for the advice.  Scraping the knee is the fun part isn't it? ;)

 

This friend doesn't live in the same town anymore and regretfully I won't be able to audition them.  I can only guess that they slot in somewhere between my 558's (bright) and my 650's (warm).. but worth a spot in the collection? Personal choice I guess.. Just looking for opinions.

 

Thanks for the invite to drop in!  I do actually watch all of those. My wife and I are going to Indy in August for the MotoGP round this summer.  We live up in Canada though, so it'll be a bit of a drive.

post #1310 of 17469

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

So I've been on the quest again. I've owned the HD600 in the past and I really liked it but I moved on but have been unable to find the tonality and presentation of the HD600 in any other headphone. Is there a natural upgrade to the HD600 because I have been unable to find such a headphone. I want it to coincide with my HE500 and Magnums but no idea where to start other than buying another HD600 but I did not like the headband at all as well as the tight clamp. If only Sennheiser made a HD800 level headphone but with the HD600 in mind..


The HD 700 seems to have the same physical attributes.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejaz View Post

How about the recording and mixing and mastering? Microphones, mic positioning, monitors, mix decisions, etc? Probably no way to tell what the live performance sounded like. 

 

Even room acoustics and positioning within that room can color the sound, but the ultimate coloration comes from in between your ears, in the inner canal and the brain. The way that we hear is as individually unique as our fingerprints/retinas/dna. In other words, we don't hear the world as it is, we hear it as we are.


Edited by grokit - 3/29/12 at 1:10am
post #1311 of 17469

Got a pair of used 600s today off the forums, they sound much better than my 555s.  Couldn't be happier. smily_headphones1.gif

post #1312 of 17469

I sold my HD600 about a year ago, and although I have gone trough many "high-end" headphones since, including planars, I always felt that I was missing something.

Luckily, I found a solution. I've upgraded from the HE-6, LCD2 and T1... to a HD600. I'm once again a happy owner of this wonderful headphone. I can't really say why, but despite its shortcomings compared to the new flagship headphones (soundstage, speed, bass extension...) the HD600 just sounds right to my ears.

 

I must say that, for me, the Beyer T1 comes very close to the musicality of the HD600, and exceeds it in some aspects. But, while I will certainly keep the T1, if I had to choose only one headphone, that would be the HD600.

 

 

... Is it actually true that Sennheiser is going to discontinue them? That would be a shame, really. The HD650 is an excellent headphone as well, but it's not a subsitute for the HD600.


Edited by Mad Dude - 3/29/12 at 10:53am
post #1313 of 17469

I bought some used HD-600s and they arrived earlier this week. I am really liking them so far. It has been fun trying to find out which of my music sounds best with them. It is funny ever since i have started this hobby my musical change has been evolving. Thanks to these headphones i am really exploring choral and classical music.

 

Right now i am using my O2 amp and i am really liking the pairing but one day soon i am hoping to get a tube amp just to hear for myself the difference between tube and ss

post #1314 of 17469

I believe the HD600 is discontinued.  I also believe that the current 600 and 650 have been improved on since release to bring them closer to each other sound wise.  I'm not about to go buy a 2012 650 but I've been told its brighter than the ones at launch.

post #1315 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

I also believe that the current 600 and 650 have been improved on since release to bring them closer to each other sound wise.  I'm not about to go buy a 2012 650 but I've been told its brighter than the ones at launch.


I thought the only sonical changes made were between the old black, and new silver driver..

 


Edited by Headzone - 4/1/12 at 3:22pm
post #1316 of 17469

Could ask the same about LCD-2 buyers ;)  Will say this, the 600 I have today sounds nothing like the one I had in 03.

post #1317 of 17469

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dude View Post

I sold my HD600 about a year ago, and although I have gone trough many "high-end" headphones since, including planars, I always felt that I was missing something.

Luckily, I found a solution. I've upgraded from the HE-6, LCD2 and T1... to a HD600. I'm once again a happy owner of this wonderful headphone. I can't really say why, but despite its shortcomings compared to the new flagship headphones (soundstage, speed, bass extension...) the HD600 just sounds right to my ears.


For myself, the HE-6 when properly amplified sounds like an HD 600 on steroids.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

I believe the HD600 is discontinued.  I also believe that the current 600 and 650 have been improved on since release to bring them closer to each other sound wise.  I'm not about to go buy a 2012 650 but I've been told its brighter than the ones at launch.


That sounds about right, my first HD 600 was much sharper on the high end while my newer ones are smoother. But I bought them both used and am not sure if my first one was made first.

post #1318 of 17469

Off topic but I never understood the difficulty of finding a good HE-6 amp.  You can buy a great integrated on AudioGon all day every day for less than we spend on headphone amps /facepalm.

post #1319 of 17469

It's not difficult but it is different, and was widely misunderstood at first. Many assumed that it had similar requirements as the LCD-2 as they were the two high-end planars at the time. And they were wrong.

post #1320 of 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post


For myself, the HE-6 when properly amplified sounds like an HD 600 on steroids.

 

I have come to the conclusion that the "on steroids" part is actually why I prefer the HD600 to the more high-end-ish headphones such as the HE-6. Sure, the latter provides more resolution, better bass extension and so forth. But in the end, while I did notice these technical advantages, I found that it did not improve my listening experience, but rather did distract me with things I did not actually want to hear. One might say that, instead of the music, I was hearing the headphones.

 

Besides, wearing comfort of a headphone is just as imprtant as the sound. And the HE-6 was just terrible in this regard... At least that was my experience.

 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post


The HD 700 seems to have the same physical attributes.


Question: I have seen several times that the HD700 was recommended (by several users, not just by you) for people who were looking for an upgrade over the HD600/650 with a similar sound signature. Now I did not read the entire HD700 thread, but in the part that I did read it seemed to be the general opinion that the HD700 was tuned almost exactly like the HD800, perhaps a little bit "warmer", but still a far cry from the HD600/650. Is this indeed wrong? Or why is the HD700 so often recommended?

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread