So I took a brief (3week) hiatus from the HD600's and almost exclusively listened to speakers. When I started listening to them again yesterday I realized what a unique experience the HD600's have to offer. Here's a couple things I rediscovered after returning to headphones:
- Completely immersive with a level of detail that my speakers can never match.
- There is a visceral feeling to the upper mids (snares, acoustic guitar) that I found myself hunting for with speakers.
- The HD600 is so balanced compared to my speakers. I especially loved how bass notes were controlled and did not dominate the tracks.
That being said on my headphone sabbatical I also learned to appreciate my speakers as well:
- The imaging was precise and layered with the speakers; versus with the HD600's at times I felt that it was harder to mentally place instruments.
- Soundstage was (duh) amazing with speakers (it helps that they are a single-driver design)
- On certain tracks the realism of the presentation was so stunning that I could picture the artist in front of me. I never had this experience with the HD600's.
These are just my experiences and I know mileage varies wildly with different setups; just wanted to share my renewed appreciation of these wonderful cans.