Well I'm about to order the HD600 and having those along with my HE-400 I should be set for a little while at least. Next up will be an amp and I think the Schiit Asgard 2 or the O2 Objective will be 2 strong contenders.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by System, 2/8/11
Related Forum Threads
- Need Budget AMP worth to power Sennheiser HD600, HD800, HiFiMan-500, DT880... ??? Last post on Yesterday at 6:48 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Help! Budget AMP worth of Sennheiser HD600, HD800, HiFiMan-500, DT880... ??? Last post on 12/17/13 at 6:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- O2+ODAC: Should I buy? Last post on 12/14/13 at 12:52pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- First time poster Last post on 12/14/13 at 11:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Modi to a Bifrost with ld mk iii Last post on 12/14/13 at 4:32am in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread - Page 187post #2791 of 54903/22/13 at 2:40pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2792 of 54903/22/13 at 5:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Techno Kid
Oh yeah, I think brain burn-in is the most important part of it all, I had IEM's that I didn't like a first and thought I might sale them but after a few days of brain burn-in I loved the IEM (it was the Earsonics SM3 V2)
The reason I want the HD600 is because its more laid back compared to the HE-400 but its not as warm as the HD650, I read where more people like the HD600 over the HD650. With those 2 HP's I'll be set for awhile once I get my Schiit Asgard 2 amp.
I didn't expect to just jump-in head first into headphones like I have but after the first day listening to the HE-400 I was hooked and most of my IEM's are being sold except a couple.
I know what you mean. I never expected to go crazy on this hobby. It started out with me just trying to find a great replacement to some terrible, old headphones that broke down. Then like a drug, I just kept looking and drooling and buying and oh god no...Quote:Originally Posted by devhen
+1 on brain burn in. I'm with Ohnoitztotoro-- I've experienced "burn-in" on a limited number of my headphones though only in the first 10 or 20 hours (what is this 200, 400, 800 hour bull? I'm very skeptical of it) and I have always found it pretty much impossible to determine how much of it was the headphone and how much was my ears/brain getting used to the new sound. I suspect "brain burn-in" has a much larger effect for most people than driver burn-in does.
I seriously wonder sometimes if perhaps companies suggest these insanely long hours of "burn in" to force people to accidentally miss their "return window" haha. I can see how burn in is possible but I don't know about needing hundreds of hours for any headphone to open up. :Ppost #2793 of 54903/22/13 at 6:16pmQuote:
I went back and add up all the IEM's, DAP's and other things I've got while doing this and it was over $4000 and that's just in less than 2 years. With the headphones I'm just going to get a few plus a good amp and then I'm done for awhile because its getting a bit out of control.
Edited by Techno Kid - 3/22/13 at 6:50pmpost #2794 of 54903/22/13 at 6:17pm
I have only experienced it once with Beyer T50Ps, shockingly bad out of the
box, but after about 50 hrs they sounded great, I still don't know what happened
but I think a lot had to do with squashing of the pads over that time.
I know HIFI retailers who religiously burn in speakers, (out of phase, facing each other with a blanket on top)
I don't see why they would waste their time if it didn't improve the sound, these are salesmen, not audiophiles.
I thought it was all total bull until the T50Pspost #2795 of 54903/22/13 at 6:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by Techno Kid
I went back and add up all the IEM's, DAP's and other things I've got while doing this and it was over $4000 and that's just in less than 2 years. With the headphones I'm just going to get a few plus a good amp and then I'm done for awhile becauseits getting a bit out of control.
Don't add up....post #2796 of 54903/22/13 at 6:53pm
Another $310 (accessoryjack.com has them for $309.99) is gone but in return I get a new pair of HD600's so I think its a good trade off. Now with my HE-400 and the HD600 I'm done buying headphones for at least 6 months, I'm going to get a reasonably priced amp and just enjoy the music.post #2797 of 54903/22/13 at 10:11pmpost #2798 of 54903/23/13 at 4:47am
Go easy on those impressions guys.
About 2 decades later since launch it's a bit late for a FOTM pair of cans
(had to use this emoticon at least once haha!)
It's great to see a resurgence of interest on these headphones around this forum with all those hundreds of new cans popping out of nowhere: kudos do Tyll and DavidMahler :)post #2799 of 54903/23/13 at 11:49amQuote:Looking to upgrade my X-cans amp that I currently use with my HD600s, what would you recommend for £500 ish ? Graham Slee ?
Any valve amps that use ECC82 or 83 would be most welcome.
Anyone tried the Icon amps with HD600?
I would look into the Bottlehead Crack for a valve amp. I find it brings out all the best qualities of the 600s, great timbre, pacing, and more 3D soundstaging. This is compared to my Nuforce HDP. Which tends to accentuate the upper mids (cymbals and the general hard "sss" sound. I generally prefer to use the Crack with most kinds of music.post #2800 of 54903/23/13 at 3:32pm
Hello! First post here!
I work professionally in audio and love my HD600s. They have a bit of "a sound" -- but once you learn it they are fantastic tools. Not to mention beautiful for simply enjoying music.
I second Jmstrmbn's suggestion of the Bottlehead Crack (plus Speedball upgrade of course). I have it in my hi-fi system (along with the Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp) and it is fantastic for listening. It can be a bit noisy -- such is the nature of tubes. If you're into building electronics it's also a very fun project to put together. The Bottlehead customer service is excellent too!post #2801 of 54903/23/13 at 4:37pmQuote:
I use an Objective 2 to amp my HD 600s and it sounds great with them.post #2802 of 54903/24/13 at 7:18am
"I know HIFI retailers who religiously burn in speakers, (out of phase, facing each other with a blanket on top)
I don't see why they would waste their time if it didn't improve the sound, these are salesmen, not audiophiles."
Why out of phase and facing each other? What difference could that make?
Edited by gruhl28 - 3/24/13 at 7:20ampost #2803 of 54903/24/13 at 7:35amQuote:
The sound mostly cancels out so you don't hear them.post #2804 of 54903/24/13 at 8:55am
The high end shops know that a monophonic pressing of Mahler's 1st works best for this...
Edited by palmfish - 3/24/13 at 8:57ampost #2805 of 54903/24/13 at 4:12pm
Tyll, just saw your demo vid on your website with taking the cans apart... around 8:24 mins into it... I swear I jumped on my chair and almost fell out... you just need to suck it out... epic DIY moment!
- Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Headphones you regretted buying the most 4 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica's New Multidriver IEMs: The ATH-IM Series 22 seconds ago
- › FiiO X5 preview world tour--application 20-26 December 2013 46 seconds ago
- › How much does opening IEMs decrease their resale value? 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › GamesterGear Cruiser P3210 Review 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 2 minutes ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe