Well I'm about to order the HD600 and having those along with my HE-400 I should be set for a little while at least. Next up will be an amp and I think the Schiit Asgard 2 or the O2 Objective will be 2 strong contenders.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by System, 2/8/11
Related Forum Threads
- HD600 and Toxic cables Last post on 3/5/14 at 4:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Running two amps in a dual mono configuration? Last post on 3/3/14 at 11:29am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- Laptop USB portable sound card for HD600 Last post on 2/28/14 at 5:27pm in Computer Audio
- DT880 vs HD600 Last post on 2/27/14 at 9:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- Lost bass on right side - Sennheiser HD595 Last post on 2/21/14 at 10:51am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
I am going to keep this short. SOURCE: Cowon C2 320 Kbps Mp3 and Flac files. GOOD: - Fits my ear properly. I am sure, whatever i do, they won't fall off. - Isolation, is...
Welcome to another review , today we have the J46BT IEM by JBL I will have a video review linked to this review soon but ...that's the future , this IEM was quite interesting since its...
Nothing is perfect & these earbuds are certainly a compromise. None the less, they are not too bright, not too boomy, not too recessed, & not too expensive. The sound is overall rich & smooth;...
Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread - Page 187post #2791 of 70403/22/13 at 2:40pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2792 of 70403/22/13 at 5:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Techno Kid
Oh yeah, I think brain burn-in is the most important part of it all, I had IEM's that I didn't like a first and thought I might sale them but after a few days of brain burn-in I loved the IEM (it was the Earsonics SM3 V2)
The reason I want the HD600 is because its more laid back compared to the HE-400 but its not as warm as the HD650, I read where more people like the HD600 over the HD650. With those 2 HP's I'll be set for awhile once I get my Schiit Asgard 2 amp.
I didn't expect to just jump-in head first into headphones like I have but after the first day listening to the HE-400 I was hooked and most of my IEM's are being sold except a couple.
I know what you mean. I never expected to go crazy on this hobby. It started out with me just trying to find a great replacement to some terrible, old headphones that broke down. Then like a drug, I just kept looking and drooling and buying and oh god no...Quote:Originally Posted by devhen
+1 on brain burn in. I'm with Ohnoitztotoro-- I've experienced "burn-in" on a limited number of my headphones though only in the first 10 or 20 hours (what is this 200, 400, 800 hour bull? I'm very skeptical of it) and I have always found it pretty much impossible to determine how much of it was the headphone and how much was my ears/brain getting used to the new sound. I suspect "brain burn-in" has a much larger effect for most people than driver burn-in does.
I seriously wonder sometimes if perhaps companies suggest these insanely long hours of "burn in" to force people to accidentally miss their "return window" haha. I can see how burn in is possible but I don't know about needing hundreds of hours for any headphone to open up. :Ppost #2793 of 70403/22/13 at 6:16pmQuote:
I went back and add up all the IEM's, DAP's and other things I've got while doing this and it was over $4000 and that's just in less than 2 years. With the headphones I'm just going to get a few plus a good amp and then I'm done for awhile because its getting a bit out of control.
Edited by Techno Kid - 3/22/13 at 6:50pmpost #2794 of 70403/22/13 at 6:17pm
I have only experienced it once with Beyer T50Ps, shockingly bad out of the
box, but after about 50 hrs they sounded great, I still don't know what happened
but I think a lot had to do with squashing of the pads over that time.
I know HIFI retailers who religiously burn in speakers, (out of phase, facing each other with a blanket on top)
I don't see why they would waste their time if it didn't improve the sound, these are salesmen, not audiophiles.
I thought it was all total bull until the T50Pspost #2795 of 70403/22/13 at 6:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by Techno Kid
I went back and add up all the IEM's, DAP's and other things I've got while doing this and it was over $4000 and that's just in less than 2 years. With the headphones I'm just going to get a few plus a good amp and then I'm done for awhile becauseits getting a bit out of control.
Don't add up....post #2796 of 70403/22/13 at 6:53pm
Another $310 (accessoryjack.com has them for $309.99) is gone but in return I get a new pair of HD600's so I think its a good trade off. Now with my HE-400 and the HD600 I'm done buying headphones for at least 6 months, I'm going to get a reasonably priced amp and just enjoy the music.post #2797 of 70403/22/13 at 10:11pmpost #2798 of 70403/23/13 at 4:47am
Go easy on those impressions guys.
About 2 decades later since launch it's a bit late for a FOTM pair of cans
(had to use this emoticon at least once haha!)
It's great to see a resurgence of interest on these headphones around this forum with all those hundreds of new cans popping out of nowhere: kudos do Tyll and DavidMahler :)post #2799 of 70403/23/13 at 11:49amQuote:Looking to upgrade my X-cans amp that I currently use with my HD600s, what would you recommend for £500 ish ? Graham Slee ?
Any valve amps that use ECC82 or 83 would be most welcome.
Anyone tried the Icon amps with HD600?
I would look into the Bottlehead Crack for a valve amp. I find it brings out all the best qualities of the 600s, great timbre, pacing, and more 3D soundstaging. This is compared to my Nuforce HDP. Which tends to accentuate the upper mids (cymbals and the general hard "sss" sound. I generally prefer to use the Crack with most kinds of music.post #2800 of 70403/23/13 at 3:32pm
Hello! First post here!
I work professionally in audio and love my HD600s. They have a bit of "a sound" -- but once you learn it they are fantastic tools. Not to mention beautiful for simply enjoying music.
I second Jmstrmbn's suggestion of the Bottlehead Crack (plus Speedball upgrade of course). I have it in my hi-fi system (along with the Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp) and it is fantastic for listening. It can be a bit noisy -- such is the nature of tubes. If you're into building electronics it's also a very fun project to put together. The Bottlehead customer service is excellent too!post #2801 of 70403/23/13 at 4:37pmQuote:
I use an Objective 2 to amp my HD 600s and it sounds great with them.post #2802 of 70403/24/13 at 7:18am
"I know HIFI retailers who religiously burn in speakers, (out of phase, facing each other with a blanket on top)
I don't see why they would waste their time if it didn't improve the sound, these are salesmen, not audiophiles."
Why out of phase and facing each other? What difference could that make?
Edited by gruhl28 - 3/24/13 at 7:20ampost #2803 of 70403/24/13 at 7:35amQuote:
The sound mostly cancels out so you don't hear them.post #2804 of 70403/24/13 at 8:55am
The high end shops know that a monophonic pressing of Mahler's 1st works best for this...
Edited by palmfish - 3/24/13 at 8:57ampost #2805 of 70403/24/13 at 4:12pm
Tyll, just saw your demo vid on your website with taking the cans apart... around 8:24 mins into it... I swear I jumped on my chair and almost fell out... you just need to suck it out... epic DIY moment!
- Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 10 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 17 seconds ago
- › Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions? 45 seconds ago
- › Best portable cassette player 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 2 minutes ago
- › PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset... 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014, Westin South... 3 minutes ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 3 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › Ferrari AAV-1LFH009K Cavallino T350 Over-Ear Headphones by ourfpshero
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by H20Fidelity
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude