Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Where do the Ultrasone Edition 10 fit in to the ranking of high end headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where do the Ultrasone Edition 10 fit in to the ranking of high end headphones? - Page 5  

post #61 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

$3500-6000 is the estimate right now



eek.gif

 

I hope that includes an amp.

post #62 of 195

Heh, nope just the headphone.  I believe it is being released for Stax's 50th anniversary and is the most expensive headphone they've ever sold.  

post #63 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

Heh, nope just the headphone.  I believe it is being released for Stax's 50th anniversary and is the most expensive headphone they've ever sold.  


Wow...they better sound absolutely amazing WITHOUT any issues at that price. Throw in an amp and you're looking at possibly $10k!

 

post #64 of 195
Thread Starter 

Or more but hey, who's counting? Once you hit 10K, what is another thou or so? Just think, how many live concerts could you go to for 10K? They should be a pleasure though, I hope. 

post #65 of 195

Early impressions are very promising, but we'll see. :)  It is interesting that despite the price, at least 10 people have told me they plan to get it at launch. eek.gif

post #66 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post

do these headphones have removable/replaceable earpads? I would think that after a while, even leather would need to be replaced



I can't say the number--I promised--but you never ever want to wear out those pads.  You won't like the bill.  Not at all.  Seriously.

post #67 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

There is no doubt that when you have the Edition 10 in your hand, you WANT to love it. It's absolutely beautiful. And then you put it on your head, and before the music starts, again you want to love it - the most comfortable high end headphone ever made, by FAR.

And then the music starts...and you want to take them off, and send them back.

At least, this was the case in the "bad pad" version.


There is only one headphone I find even more comfortable than the Edition 10s.  I'm not counting the Qualias--by far the lightest--because of the fitting issue, but if you happen to be in the right headsize, they are fantastic as well.  The one I refer to are the HE90s.

 

post #68 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post





I can't say the number--I promised--but you never ever want to wear out those pads.  You won't like the bill.  Not at all.  Seriously.


0-o...well, guess I'm lucky I couldn't afford one in the first place..or not

 

post #69 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post




0-o...well, guess I'm lucky I couldn't afford one in the first place..or not

 


I didn't say that, but it is not for the faint of heart for sure.  I wish I could tell you how I rank them but I still don't have them back yet from surgery (earpad replacement).  I'm hoping it'll get here by the end of the week...if I'm lucky, which would be a first in quite a while.

 

post #70 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post




I didn't say that, but it is not for the faint of heart for sure.  I wish I could tell you how I rank them but I still don't have them back yet from surgery (earpad replacement).  I'm hoping it'll get here by the end of the week...if I'm lucky, which would be a first in quite a while.

 

think it's worth asking ultrasone if pleather earpads borrowed from (insert <$100 phones) will fit the edition 10's or will they have a heart attack?
 

 

post #71 of 195
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post



think it's worth asking ultrasone if pleather earpads borrowed from (insert <$100 phones) will fit the edition 10's or will they have a heart attack?
 

 

It is double sided tape. If they are the right size, use some tape and go to town. 
 

 

post #72 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post



think it's worth asking ultrasone if pleather earpads borrowed from (insert <$100 phones) will fit the edition 10's or will they have a heart attack?
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post



It is double sided tape. If they are the right size, use some tape and go to town. 
 

 


Yeah right... Good luck with finding pads that don't mess up the signature like original leather ones from Ultrasone! If do do find the marvel, they might hire you as new acoustics specialist wink.gif
post #73 of 195
Thread Starter 

Well there is no question that they would mess with the frequency but it's all part of this sport. 

post #74 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post



think it's worth asking ultrasone if pleather earpads borrowed from (insert <$100 phones) will fit the edition 10's or will they have a heart attack?
 

 


I do not think that approach will work.  I was told by Randy Fuchs, that the Ed10s feature a unique, offset-driver design and the ear pads material, shape, etc., must be of exacting standards and material to calibrate the acoustics differential resulting from that design.  If that isn't done correctly, the Ed10s behave and sound like a badly tuned custom IEM.   This explains why those defective earpads have made such as negative impact on overall SQ for those unfortunate owners--including me--who got one of those units.

 

Either way, the issue is moot, because Ultrasone has been replacing those affected free of charge.  Should you buy one new from this point on should be OK.  But you must baby those airpads and store the headphones correctly.  If you need to service them later, it will cost you some serious dough.  However, that is the same case with other high-end cans as well and at least the Ed10 is still in production.

 

post #75 of 195

I'd like to see some close-ups of the newly replaced official "fixed" Edition 10 pads. Wanna see if the physical differences are easily visibly discernable from the "bad" pads.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Where do the Ultrasone Edition 10 fit in to the ranking of high end headphones?