Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Where do the Ultrasone Edition 10 fit in to the ranking of high end headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where do the Ultrasone Edition 10 fit in to the ranking of high end headphones? - Page 11  

post #151 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg View Post

I have to wonder if people really think the Ed10's are truly that "awful", or if they are basing their vehement disdain due to their US$2700 MSRP?

 

It was certainly hard not to be cynical at the price given Ultrasone's reputation for making shiny headphones that many felt weren't worth their 4-figure price. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaldo View Post

"Small handfull of people"? "The rest of us"? "To a larger number of people"? Respectfully, I doubt these generalizations can be qualified with actual numbers. Again, what I've witnessed here - including the sad state of this thread - is that for the most part you get the same old compulsive members posting indiscriminately on subjects they lack extensive experience with. Please notice that I said "for the most part."

This trend extends to the point that those who may appreciate any product maligned by this posse, are reluctant to participate, thus my allusion to this forum veering away from open discussion to coerced indoctrination. Actually, I've heard from a few members who enjoyed the Ed 10, but felt safer expressing their views via private messaging.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

... Maybe what has condemned the ED10s is that they suit perfectly a small handful of people, the rest of us simply find them to sound awful. That's nothing to do with Head-Fi, it's simply that the obvious fact that headphones that sound good to a larger number of people are going to be more popular. 

 

Be careful what you ask for... wink.gif

 

Seriously though, I understand what you're saying.  It's hard to post positive impressions when a bunch of people think they are awful and are very vocal about it. It hasn't just been the ED-10s, but, like I said, at almost $4k, people expect performance that is excellent in every way. Every TOTL headphone listed below has disappointed in some manner or another (I'm on my 3rd pair of LCD-3s and my second pair of 009s due to faults now, for example).

 

Ultrasone Edition 10

 
 
Audez'e LCD-2 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Audez'e LCD-2, designed for Recording / Mixing Engineers as reference headphones and the...
 
Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones
There's has always been a debate between electronic reproduction and natural sound. The Sennheiser...
 
AUDEZ'E LCD-3 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Edited from webpage: "LCD-3 professional reference headphones. No compromise when it comes to...
 
Stax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphones
With a completely new multi-layer diaphragm, electrodes and aluminium enclosure, the SR-009 goes...
 
Stax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeaker
Type :Push-Pull Electrostatic Earspeaker Frequency Response :6 - 41,000Hz Impedance :170k Ohms...
 

 

Recently released:

 

Fostex TH 900

Model TH900 is a pair of flagship dynamic headphones from Fostex featuring newly developed...
post #152 of 195

Polarizing & passionate opinions all around.

These must be high-end headphones!

 

wink.gif

post #153 of 195

It happens with a pretty and expensive HP with a not expected sound. If its a decimal less I would buy two in a heartbeat just to have the stand that comes with it.

post #154 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhuang View Post

 

 

was the ed10 balanced for the rudi?

The second pair which was recabled with the Zeus yes, they were balanced.

post #155 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

The second pair which was recabled with the Zeus yes, they were balanced.


i was asking only because, rp010b sound best with its balance out.  well.....wa5le and rp010b possibly the smoothest amps around for tube amps(wa5) and ss amps(rp010b).  if those can't smooth ed10 out.  i don't know what else can.  i heard ed10 out of wa5, with stock tubes, ed10 sound pretty good, most of the time.  and sometimes it's always that harsh treble that gets me hating it.  maybe some cables help?  maybe some smooth source help?  really want to get ed10 because they're so beautiful but......

post #156 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhuang View Post


i was asking only because, rp010b sound best with its balance out.  well.....wa5le and rp010b possibly the smoothest amps around for tube amps(wa5) and ss amps(rp010b).  if those can't smooth ed10 out.  i don't know what else can.  i heard ed10 out of wa5, with stock tubes, ed10 sound pretty good, most of the time.  and sometimes it's always that harsh treble that gets me hating it.  maybe some cables help?  maybe some smooth source help?  really want to get ed10 because they're so beautiful but......

I find by simply shifting the ed 10s forward on my ears it smooths out the "harsh" treble. It's like night and day. Has anyone else run into this?

post #157 of 195
I recall a similar thing happening with the edition 9 and believes the sensitivity to position is particularly severe for ultrasone headphones because of the s-logic thing. In particular, you probably a treble boost by lining up the ear canal entrance with the shielding plate opening. On purpose, the hole isn't supposed to line up so that you get more of a reverberant blend than direct field from the driver.

To some extent, I felt this s-logic design worked for me in regards to perception of depth. However, some large drawbacks are midrange colorations and a response very sensitive to positioning. It's probably part of the reason why these headphones don't work for everyone and get very polarized opinions...
post #158 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhuang View Post


i was asking only because, rp010b sound best with its balance out.  well.....wa5le and rp010b possibly the smoothest amps around for tube amps(wa5) and ss amps(rp010b).  if those can't smooth ed10 out.  i don't know what else can.  i heard ed10 out of wa5, with stock tubes, ed10 sound pretty good, most of the time.  and sometimes it's always that harsh treble that gets me hating it.  maybe some cables help?  maybe some smooth source help?  really want to get ed10 because they're so beautiful but......

Yeap, that is why I owned them twice and really tried to like them but at the end the sound is what matters the most...

My source (PWD and Wadia 27) are pretty good and my cables are Wireworld Eclipse 6 OCC copper.

post #159 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 View Post

I find by simply shifting the ed 10s forward on my ears it smooths out the "harsh" treble. It's like night and day. Has anyone else run into this?

I did that but IMO it affected the whole presentation of the sound and did not like it.

post #160 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

I did that but IMO it affected the whole presentation of the sound and did not like it.

I felt it also affected the entire sound but not in a bad way to me. I listen to heavy metal and classical and i usually have my iPod on shuffle.

 

When I'm listening to something that is a little too abrasive i'll shift em forward then when i want the detail back I can move them backward to suit. 

Is there anybody out there who actually LIKES the ed 10s?  I also want a pair of hd800s but i can't imagine them being any better than the ed 10s and i'm a little concerned about the veil.

post #161 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 View Post

I felt it also affected the entire sound but not in a bad way to me. I listen to heavy metal and classical and i usually have my iPod on shuffle.

When I'm listening to something that is a little too abrasive i'll shift em forward then when i want the detail back I can move them backward to suit. 
Is there anybody out there who actually LIKES the ed 10s?  I also want a pair of hd800s but i can't imagine them being any better than the ed 10s and i'm a little concerned about the veil.

You might be on your own with the Ed10s. Sorry, but all I hear are crickets.

Wrt the "veil", that would be the HD650s, the hd800s are as open and clear as headphones get.
post #162 of 195

Agreed, I've never heard of the HD800 being associated with "veil".

post #163 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 View Post

I felt it also affected the entire sound but not in a bad way to me. I listen to heavy metal and classical and i usually have my iPod on shuffle.

 

When I'm listening to something that is a little too abrasive i'll shift em forward then when i want the detail back I can move them backward to suit. 

Is there anybody out there who actually LIKES the ed 10s?  I also want a pair of hd800s but i can't imagine them being any better than the ed 10s and i'm a little concerned about the veil.

No way, IMO the HD800 are far superior that the ED10. They are the best in soundstage presentation of all dynamic headphones IMO and clearly NO VEIL. I have mine with an OCC Copper cable and replaced the internal connection wire between the connector and the driver with also the same OCC Copper. IMO sound magnificent. They are my favorite open dynamic headphones.

post #164 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

No way, IMO the HD800 are far superior that the ED10. They are the best in soundstage presentation of all dynamic headphones IMO and clearly NO VEIL. I have mine with an OCC Copper cable and replaced the internal connection wire between the connector and the driver with also the same OCC Copper. IMO sound magnificent. They are my favorite open dynamic headphones.

 

Thanks for the feedback. My next headphones will definitely be the hd800s which will probably be in the next few months the way I like to "upgrade"

I've heard many people say that the hd 650s are far superior to ultrasones pro 2900s which is not the case at all. The 2900s are superior in every way. especially comfort. I haven't heard the hd800s yet but for my tastes I think i'll end up preferring the ed 10s.  Time will tell though.

post #165 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

No way, IMO the HD800 are far superior that the ED10. They are the best in soundstage presentation of all dynamic headphones IMO and clearly NO VEIL. I have mine with an OCC Copper cable and replaced the internal connection wire between the connector and the driver with also the same OCC Copper. IMO sound magnificent. They are my favorite open dynamic headphones.

Copper wire on the hd800s?!?!? That's almost an insult to the headphones considering they already have an occ silver over occ copper core wire.  From what I understand of sennheiser you need to bring out the highs and improve clarity not diminish it.  I'd use copper to dim brightness and enhance the midrange. I mean absolutely no offense by the way.  This is all MY opinion.


Edited by Rawdawg3234 - 9/13/12 at 7:25pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Where do the Ultrasone Edition 10 fit in to the ranking of high end headphones?