Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Where do the Ultrasone Edition 10 fit in to the ranking of high end headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where do the Ultrasone Edition 10 fit in to the ranking of high end headphones? - Page 8  

post #106 of 195

Wow, That puts some scinece behind my opinion and explains why after giving them a try twice (bad ear pads and good ear pads) I did not like them.

On the other hand, I love my Edition 9 (other than confort) but these do not have the offset drivers they are in the center but they do have the metal plate covering the driver with the holes offset.

post #107 of 195

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

I love my Edition 9 (other than confort) but these do not have the offset drivers they are in the center but they do have the metal plate covering the driver with the holes offset.


Different shaped earcups, but both look offset to me:

 

Edition 10's -

 

1000x500px-LL-2b1d56a2_Clipboard01.jpg

 

 

Edition 9's -

 

HFI-780openearcupsa.jpg?t=1202338180

post #108 of 195



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg View Post

Quote:


Different shaped earcups, but both look offset to me:

 

Edition 10's -

 

1000x500px-LL-2b1d56a2_Clipboard01.jpg

 

 

Edition 9's -

 

HFI-780openearcupsa.jpg?t=1202338180


As I said, in the Edition 9 the holes in the metal plate are offset so from the outside it looks like that in your picture but if you open them the driver is set in the middle. In the contrary the Edition 10 has actually the driver mounted off center.

 

E9 inside 1.jpg

E9 inside 2.jpg
 

 

 


Edited by musicman59 - 5/27/11 at 3:50am
post #109 of 195

Funny ... I've heard some cable modded Ed9s and thought they were pretty good (under trade show conditions, so no long listening). I'd love to measure a pair, does anyone have some that they'd be willing to ship me for measurement?

post #110 of 195
I'd say the Ed 10s are up there with the big three. Hd800,T1, lcd2
The soundstage is remarkable and the low impedance makes them extremely versatile. Especially for a portable rig.
Haven't gotten mine recabled yet but I'm sure it'll dim the brightness down a bit and help offset the semblance problem i've been hearing.
Not to mention they're in my opinion the best looking headphone out there and the s logic is magnificent. I've heard some complaints about s logic being hard to get USED to but haven't experienced that problem myself.
Other than the weak fit I'd say they give the big three a run for their money.
post #111 of 195

Ah, the wonders of Post-Purchase Rationalization :)  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 View Post

I'd say the Ed 10s are up there with the big three. Hd800,T1, lcd2
The soundstage is remarkable and the low impedance makes them extremely versatile. Especially for a portable rig.
Haven't gotten mine recabled yet but I'm sure it'll dim the brightness down a bit and help offset the semblance problem i've been hearing.
Not to mention they're in my opinion the best looking headphone out there and the s logic is magnificent. I've heard some complaints about s logic being hard to get USED to but haven't experienced that problem myself.
Other than the weak fit I'd say they give the big three a run for their money.
post #112 of 195

The pair I heard a few weeks ago were disturbingly sibilant.

Others opined they were outright atrocious. Earbleed city.........

post #113 of 195

Earbleed city, lol. At the crossing of deep echoes boulevard, and mount sharp avenue ;)

post #114 of 195

^^

 

Come on guys, stop beating around the bush...what do you really think? tongue.gif

post #115 of 195

post #116 of 195
Picked up a pair for next to nothing. It'll cost me more to recable them.
post #117 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 View Post

Picked up a pair for next to nothing. It'll cost me more to recable them.

 

Ah, I see a Stephan Art Audio cable in your future then. That should revolutionize the Edition 10, it's really the only weak point of the phone.

post #118 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post

Ah, the wonders of Post-Purchase Rationalization smily_headphones1.gif  

Ha ha ha.. Maybe you're right but I got them so cheap it'll cost more for a mid-level recable. So far I'm happy with em. I'll know for sure in a few weeks though.
I had a problem with my pro 2900s. I absolutely hated them at first but they grew on me and have surpassed my hd650s. Depending on my mood of course.
Also I believe music genre has an impact with the s-logic.
post #119 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

Ah, I see a Stephan Art Audio cable in your future then. That should revolutionize the Edition 10, it's really the only weak point of the phone.
I was gonna go with the TWag-v2 but I'll look into em. Thanks for the input:D
post #120 of 195

I heard them during a meet, and it was only for a few minutes, but these are my impressions. They were terribly bright, detail was poor, the treble was a horrible mess, and the soundstaging and imaging was warped. How do they compare to the high end headphones like HD800, T1 (didn't really like the T1 that much either, although I admit it performed quite solidly), LCD2 and the like? They don't. In short, I didn't like them one little bit. Perhaps someone's magical uber amp might be able to fix those problems, but out of a VERY respectable WooAudio WA22, they were pure agony.

 

Sorry if I come out a bit too negative, but I really expected more out of such a beautiful headphone...


Edited by iamthem - 9/8/12 at 8:18pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Where do the Ultrasone Edition 10 fit in to the ranking of high end headphones?