Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › What are some of the best 5.1 computer speakers?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are some of the best 5.1 computer speakers?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I own some 5.1 Logitech speakers since I don't know much about computer speakers and all my money goes into my headphones. I find that the Logitech satellites distort with certain frequencies. Please tell me what are better options from any price range. Please give your recommendations including the approximate price. I'm interested in sub-$500, sub-$1000, and price no limit ranges. As many excellent recommendations as possible please.

post #2 of 15

Well you could buy a home theater receiver, then the speakers of you choice. I was on the hunt for a good 2.1 speaker setup and settled on Klipsch's 2.1 system. They sound awesome. Chech this set up out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780017 

post #3 of 15
Why go 5.1? For $500-$1,000, I go with great two channel floorstanders. I'll take great stereo over mediocre surround any day.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by welchie View Post

Well you could buy a home theater receiver, then the speakers of you choice. I was on the hunt for a good 2.1 speaker setup and settled on Klipsch's 2.1 system. They sound awesome. Chech this set up out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780017 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Why go 5.1? For $500-$1,000, I go with great two channel floorstanders. I'll take great stereo over mediocre surround any day.


Do quality 5.1 computer speakers not exist? If they don't then I will consider 2.1 systems. I'd like the satellites to be very small. It doesn't matter if there's a lot of them. They are put on my home work desk after all and I'd like everything to be as compact as possible.

post #5 of 15
The problem is that compactness doesn't work so well with sound quality. It's my experience that you need a full-sized cabinet or a floorstanding planar for the best sound quality. You have to sacrifice some room, but the payoff is great. If you can't give up the space, you're better off with a good pair of headphones.
post #6 of 15

Yeah, like previous posters stated, you're better off with HTiB (home theater in box) than 5.1 PC  setups.

post #7 of 15

The edifier s550 , or get a 5.1 receiver and create your own 5.1 set-up , or for 2.1 get two active speakers or speaker amp and 2 passive speakers and a active sub.

post #8 of 15
post #9 of 15

I forgot about these. They're really good. http://www.orbaudio.com/ 

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

The problem is that compactness doesn't work so well with sound quality. It's my experience that you need a full-sized cabinet or a floorstanding planar for the best sound quality. You have to sacrifice some room, but the payoff is great. If you can't give up the space, you're better off with a good pair of headphones.
Ic... it's unfortunate because I really only have room for speakers the size of a tissue box at maximum. Actually, my headphone system takes up a lot of space so the speakers will be an afterthought.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchie View Post

I forgot about these. They're really good. http://www.orbaudio.com/ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S2k07Si View Post

...an interesting option...

http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/products.aspx?cid=5&sid=0&pid=23&cmenu=gallery

uote:
Originally Posted by JRG1990 View Post

The edifier s550 , or get a 5.1 receiver and create your own 5.1 set-up , or for 2.1 get two active speakers or speaker amp and 2 passive speakers and a active sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpTicaL View Post

Yeah, like previous posters stated, you're better off with HTiB (home theater in box) than 5.1 PC  setups.

 

 

Those are all interesting options. Are there any other options? Probably small like the Orbs but includes subwoofer? Are 2.1s my best bet here? If so, what are the best 2.1 systems at different price ranges?

post #11 of 15

Ive set up two rooms for clients with these and they are very very impressive, especially like them over BOSE cubes, http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-MX-5-1-Channel-Miniature-Theater/dp/B001IX5IZA/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1296965596&sr=1-1 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchie View Post

Well you could buy a home theater receiver, then the speakers of you choice. I was on the hunt for a good 2.1 speaker setup and settled on Klipsch's 2.1 system. They sound awesome. Chech this set up out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780017 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Why go 5.1? For $500-$1,000, I go with great two channel floorstanders. I'll take great stereo over mediocre surround any day.


Do quality 5.1 computer speakers not exist? If they don't then I will consider 2.1 systems. I'd like the satellites to be very small. It doesn't matter if there's a lot of them. They are put on my home work desk after all and I'd like everything to be as compact as possible.

post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 

Oh WOW! That was the kind of stuff I was looking for! I'm looking into it for now.

 

For the time being, any more recommendations are welcome please!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTS100x5 View Post

Ive set up two rooms for clients with these and they are very very impressive, especially like them over BOSE cubes, http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-MX-5-1-Channel-Miniature-Theater/dp/B001IX5IZA/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1296965596&sr=1-1 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchie View Post

Well you could buy a home theater receiver, then the speakers of you choice. I was on the hunt for a good 2.1 speaker setup and settled on Klipsch's 2.1 system. They sound awesome. Chech this set up out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780017 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Why go 5.1? For $500-$1,000, I go with great two channel floorstanders. I'll take great stereo over mediocre surround any day.


Do quality 5.1 computer speakers not exist? If they don't then I will consider 2.1 systems. I'd like the satellites to be very small. It doesn't matter if there's a lot of them. They are put on my home work desk after all and I'd like everything to be as compact as possible.


 
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by welchie View Post

Well you could buy a home theater receiver, then the speakers of you choice. I was on the hunt for a good 2.1 speaker setup and settled on Klipsch's 2.1 system. They sound awesome. Chech this set up out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780017 


not a big fan of the new klipsch 2.1 system.  it sounds too close to the z2300 soi don't believe it deserves to cost almost 3x as much.

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTS100x5 View Post

Ive set up two rooms for clients with these and they are very very impressive, especially like them over BOSE cubes, http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-MX-5-1-Channel-Miniature-Theater/dp/B001IX5IZA/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1296965596&sr=1-1 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchie View Post

Well you could buy a home theater receiver, then the speakers of you choice. I was on the hunt for a good 2.1 speaker setup and settled on Klipsch's 2.1 system. They sound awesome. Chech this set up out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780017 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Why go 5.1? For $500-$1,000, I go with great two channel floorstanders. I'll take great stereo over mediocre surround any day.


Do quality 5.1 computer speakers not exist? If they don't then I will consider 2.1 systems. I'd like the satellites to be very small. It doesn't matter if there's a lot of them. They are put on my home work desk after all and I'd like everything to be as compact as possible.


 



The Mirage system looks really nice. Heck I might sell my bedroom 5.1 and try these.

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by welchie View Post

Well you could buy a home theater receiver, then the speakers of you choice. I was on the hunt for a good 2.1 speaker setup and settled on Klipsch's 2.1 system. They sound awesome. Chech this set up out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780017 


Because some of us play games and 2.1 sucks for gaming. You totally lose directionality that you get with 5.1.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › What are some of the best 5.1 computer speakers?