Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos. - Page 28

post #406 of 477

D3 Gingerbread firmware update for US and Europe is ready to go on the Cowon site - http://www.cowonglobal.com/

 

 

post #407 of 477

Out of curiosity, how is the D3 in terms of the smoothness of the UI with the Gingerbread update compared to that of the J3? I have read/seen numerous videos of the D3 with its choppy/laggy interface...

post #408 of 477
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Out of curiosity, how is the D3 in terms of the smoothness of the UI with the Gingerbread update compared to that of the J3? I have read/seen numerous videos of the D3 with its choppy/laggy interface...

If you give the D3 a minute or two to completely boot up and check all the storage for changes, then kill all the apps that tend to load on their own upon startup, the UI is fine and reactive.  The J3 is a simpler device without WiFi or apps etc.. Cowon added shortcuts to WiFi, BlueTooth, RAM, and a Sleep icon in the pull-down notifications. Tapping RAM kills all running apps, and is a great way to get the D3 zippy.  The switch from Apps to Home is instant with a touch. You can cycle through Free Space, Running apps, and the date by tapping the bottom bar. IMO they added exactly the right features the D3 needed in the gingerbread update, and have gone out of their way to make the database updates as brief as possible.  

 

That said, it still doesn't do gapless natively.  The J3 does.

 

 

post #409 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post

Quote:

If you give the D3 a minute or two to completely boot up and check all the storage for changes, then kill all the apps that tend to load on their own upon startup, the UI is fine and reactive.  The J3 is a simpler device without WiFi or apps etc.. Cowon added shortcuts to WiFi, BlueTooth, RAM, and a Sleep icon in the pull-down notifications. Tapping RAM kills all running apps, and is a great way to get the D3 zippy.  The switch from Apps to Home is instant with a touch. You can cycle through Free Space, Running apps, and the date by tapping the bottom bar. IMO they added exactly the right features the D3 needed in the gingerbread update, and have gone out of their way to make the database updates as brief as possible.  

 

That said, it still doesn't do gapless natively.  The J3 does.

 

 


Thanks for the impressions. I might wait until Cowon releases a second generation of the D3...or I might just go for the J3 as a replacement for my iPod Touch.

 

Do you know if this beta app is compatible with non-phone Android devices such as the D3? This Chinese dictionary and the ability to check my e-mail where there is WiFi are the reasons why I would choose the D3 over the J3. I love the J3's battery life though, hahahaha.

http://www.pleco.com/androidbeta.html

 

post #410 of 477
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Do you know if this beta app is compatible with non-phone Android devices such as the D3? This Chinese dictionary and the ability to check my e-mail where there is WiFi are the reasons why I would choose the D3 over the J3. I love the J3's battery life though, hahahaha.

http://www.pleco.com/androidbeta.html

 

I don't see why Pleco wouldn't work, but I won't be putting it on my D3. 

 

I'm also interested to see if Cowon can do better their second time around with Android. A D4 running IceCreamSandwich on a dual (or quad) core processor should be worth their typical asking price by Christmas time.

 

 

post #411 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post

 

I don't see why Pleco wouldn't work, but I won't be putting it on my D3. 

 

I'm also interested to see if Cowon can do better their second time around with Android. A D4 running IceCreamSandwich on a dual (or quad) core processor should be worth their typical asking price by Christmas time.

 

 

Ah, nice! I'll hold off on my Cowon purchase then.
 

 

post #412 of 477
I have iphone4 to do mos my social networking and apps. For music what should i get cowon j3 or the d3?
post #413 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exgoofy View Post

I have iphone4 to do mos my social networking and apps. For music what should i get cowon j3 or the d3?


It's a hard one. To my ears the Cowon D3 SQ certainly has a bigger soundstage and better bass than the J3 but the J3 has better battery life. I wonder if the Cowon D3 uses a different Wolfsen soundchip to the J3.

post #414 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exgoofy View Post

I have iphone4 to do mos my social networking and apps. For music what should i get cowon j3 or the d3?


J3.

post #415 of 477

so so far with the firmware updates how is the d3 looking?  I really want to buy it but I'm kind of waiting for the appstore to expand (last I heard there was one right? i'm not sure though).  The only reason why I use an iPod Touch for a music player is because it also has an amazing appstore with endless apps that really kill time when you need it.  I'm also an audiophile, so I was looking into the J3 and D3 and since the D3 has the apps and wifi feature it was a big eye catcher.  Some people told me to use amps and dacs and stuff with my iPod...but who is going to carry those around when walking around in public?  The option of also getting a J3 along with my iPod Touch is a no for me because I don't really want to carry around my phone, ipod, and j3.  

 

just clearing things up, I don't really understand fancy terms so be patient with me, i'm basically waiting (and not sure if they already have been fixed) for:

 

- better screen response (i watched a video review and the guy had to really press down to get a response, video is probably outdated though)

- app store (if there isn't one already)

- wide selection of apps (all the popular games would be nice)

post #416 of 477

How is the SQ of the D3 compared to that of the J3?

post #417 of 477


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl772 View Post

so so far with the firmware updates how is the d3 looking?  I really want to buy it but I'm kind of waiting for the appstore to expand (last I heard there was one right? i'm not sure though).  The only reason why I use an iPod Touch for a music player is because it also has an amazing appstore with endless apps that really kill time when you need it.  I'm also an audiophile, so I was looking into the J3 and D3 and since the D3 has the apps and wifi feature it was a big eye catcher.  Some people told me to use amps and dacs and stuff with my iPod...but who is going to carry those around when walking around in public?  The option of also getting a J3 along with my iPod Touch is a no for me because I don't really want to carry around my phone, ipod, and j3.  

 

just clearing things up, I don't really understand fancy terms so be patient with me, i'm basically waiting (and not sure if they already have been fixed) for:

 

- better screen response (i watched a video review and the guy had to really press down to get a response, video is probably outdated though)

- app store (if there isn't one already)

- wide selection of apps (all the popular games would be nice)


 

After the gingerbread update, my D3 handles everything quite decently. I  wouldn't recommend it for your use because it simply isn't a exceptional android device. The updates have made the D3 an absolute media beast, but games are a little laggy and the touch response isn't particularly fast. Let me stress that touch response is not poor(You never had to really press down, maybe the guy layered his fingers with butter) it just not as quick to register when playing a game like Guitar Hero or Tap DDR type games.

 

There is no official app store. There was a hack before the update to allow access, but since the gingerbread update the hack has not been working and likely will not for some time. If you live in America, the Amazon appstore(not available outside of the US) is just as good as the official appstore and offers a free app every day. Again the problem is the D3 was not built for gaming, so you are going to be frustrated with the gaming performance. Some high quality games don't even run on the D3 at all.

 

I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy Wifi 4 or 5, however info on the device has been quiet and I don't know if it will be released world wide. The restriction right now is a quality android experience seems to be only available on phones. If you need a phone, go for the Samsung Galaxy S or a variant of it. If you can root it and install Voodoo Sound on the device, it rivals any Cowon device out there in sound quality. Just don't get the Galaxy SII because it uses a different audio chip that doesn't allow Voodoo Sound, effectively dooming it to Medicrity musically.

post #418 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonApplicable View Post

 

After the gingerbread update, my D3 handles everything quite decently. I  wouldn't recommend it for your use because it simply isn't a exceptional android device. The updates have made the D3 an absolute media beast, but games are a little laggy and the touch response isn't particularly fast. Let me stress that touch response is not poor(You never had to really press down, maybe the guy layered his fingers with butter) it just not as quick to register when playing a game like Guitar Hero or Tap DDR type games.

 

There is no official app store. There was a hack before the update to allow access, but since the gingerbread update the hack has not been working and likely will not for some time. If you live in America, the Amazon appstore(not available outside of the US) is just as good as the official appstore and offers a free app every day. Again the problem is the D3 was not built for gaming, so you are going to be frustrated with the gaming performance. Some high quality games don't even run on the D3 at all.

 

I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy Wifi 4 or 5, however info on the device has been quiet and I don't know if it will be released world wide. The restriction right now is a quality android experience seems to be only available on phones. If you need a phone, go for the Samsung Galaxy S or a variant of it. If you can root it and install Voodoo Sound on the device, it rivals any Cowon device out there in sound quality. Just don't get the Galaxy SII because it uses a different audio chip that doesn't allow Voodoo Sound, effectively dooming it to Medicrity musically.

I haven't heard of the Samsung Galaxy Wifi before; it looks interesting though.

 

What is the typical release schedule for Cowon products? I might wait until a 2nd generation D3 comes out, but otherwise I'll stick with a J3.
 

 

post #419 of 477

I'm not exactly sure about Cowon's release schedule, but I wouldn't expect a D3 successor anytime soon. They also did just release a C2 around a month ago so it would be highly unlikely that they would release any kind of product before the years end. Cowon were really suffered from performance problems because they jumped the gun on the hardware they put in the D3. Cowon went obscure with the processor because it had a lot of potential. Their hope is that it would become more widespread and useful, unfortunately it didn't work out well. If they waited another month they could of avoided all the negative attention and hardware issues with a similar price but better processor that many of the phones use today. These problems have caused Cowon to do some major damage control by releasing many firmware updates in quick succession. That has probably taken a lot of focus off of creating new products and research. Regardless, I imagine Cowon have probably edited their code as effectively as they can. The rest is hardware limitation that can never be fixed. Cowon have stated they will continue to create android based products, so there will probably a D3+(makes total sense given the D3s state). The D3+ will include all the right hardware that gave the original shortcomings, they wouldn't make the same mistake twice. Obvious their ongoing support on the D3 means they won't abandon users with such a quick hardware update. When they do decide to upgrade they will be patiently cautious to make sure they redeem themselves.


Edited by NonApplicable - 7/21/11 at 8:47pm
post #420 of 477

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonApplicable View Post

I'm not exactly sure about Cowon's release schedule, but I wouldn't expect a D3 successor anytime soon. They also did just release a C2 around a month ago so it would be highly unlikely that they would release any kind of product before the years end. Cowon were really suffered from performance problems because they jumped the gun on the hardware they put in the D3. Cowon went obscure with the processor because it had a lot of potential. Their hope is that it would become more widespread and useful, unfortunately it didn't work out well. If they waited another month they could of avoided all the negative attention and hardware issues with a similar price but better processor that many of the phones use today. These problems have caused Cowon to do some major damage control by releasing many firmware updates in quick succession. That has probably taken a lot of focus off of creating new products and research. Regardless, I imagine Cowon have probably edited their code as effectively as they can. The rest is hardware limitation that can never be fixed. Cowon have stated they will continue to create android based products, so there will probably a D3+(makes total sense given the D3s state). The D3+ will include all the right hardware that gave the original shortcomings, they wouldn't make the same mistake twice. Obvious their ongoing support on the D3 means they won't abandon users with such a quick hardware update. When they do decide to upgrade they will be patiently cautious to make sure they redeem themselves.


Ah I see. Yeah I think a lot of people were disappointed with the D3's performance at first. I hear the Gingerbread update fixes a lot of stability issues though so that's some good news for them. Maybe I'll go ahead and purchase a J3 now and see how things unfold later on in terms of development of a generation 2 D3.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.