Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos. - Page 2

post #16 of 477
Thread Starter 

I have to apologize.  Listened to my D3 most of the day yesterday.  I had long spells listening to random songs where it never skipped a beat. Enough to convince me that they had solved the music cut-out problem.   I turned it on again last night and specifically picked out my three test songs.  I've picked them because they are lossless FLAC or WMA and because they use the whole audible spectrum between them. NO cutouts when played, but two of the three had a sort of stumble near the beginning, in the same spot the cutouts would show up at.  A replay of each would fix it usually. I'll guess that it was the lossless files that overwhelmed the D3.  My J3 can't even play the WMA file I used.  Fixed for MP3.  Still work to be done on lossless files.   


Edited by 4DThinker - 2/12/11 at 4:00pm
post #17 of 477

Good to hear they are slowly fixing things ... I am close to pulling the trigger on the D3.

post #18 of 477

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying this device, but can any Cowon D3 owner say if this device can show build in subtitles in mkv video file ( I have read that Cowon V5 has problem with this) and change their size color etc. I watch many anime series and this is a key issue for me.

 

Thanks

post #19 of 477
Thread Starter 

If you can point me to an example mkv with subtitles in it to try, I'll be happy to test it for you.  I personally have no need for subtitles, but notice there are subtitle options in the D3's video app. The include on/off toggle, set color, adjust size, set location, set language, and adjust subtitle timing. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawboy12 View Post

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying this device, but can any Cowon D3 owner say if this device can show build in subtitles in mkv video file ( I have read that Cowon V5 has problem with this) and change their size color etc. I watch many anime series and this is a key issue for me.

 

Thanks

post #20 of 477

Any new updates on the firmware .. still holding out hope the D3 will be a winner someday?

post #21 of 477

Really like your blog awesome reviews darthsmile.gif

post #22 of 477
Thread Starter 

The latest firmware on mine is 3.27, and that only came out a few days ago.  It fixed the audio cutout on MP3 files, but there is still a glitch with lossless files.

 

On a side note, I was able to find a downloadable AngryBirds.APK and side load it onto my D3.  The game took three tries to start, with a black screen being all I got the first two times. The first time it started there was no text or icons, only white boxes where they should have been.  The second time I played the control icons appeared, but level icons and text are still missing.  It is as if there is a missing font file the game needs. Play is relatively smooth, with only a minor stutter every now and then. 

 

Thanks for your compliment, TheGomDoRi. Much appreciated.

 

4D

post #23 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post

If you can point me to an example mkv with subtitles in it to try, I'll be happy to test it for you.  I personally have no need for subtitles, but notice there are subtitle options in the D3's video app. The include on/off toggle, set color, adjust size, set location, set language, and adjust subtitle timing. 
 

Hi,

Thank you 4DThinker  for  replying  to my question

 

If you could in this link there are 4 samples of  mkv video files  zipped, I would be very grateful to you if you could try them.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NHMGIGIJ

 

 
post #24 of 477

Are the FW versions the same as on the D2, i.e. that 2.xx can be used in MTP as well as MSC mode and 3.xx is MSC only? Or is Android always MSC only?

post #25 of 477
Thread Starter 

Tested all the samples. All played.  The one with 2 audio channels let me pick either channel.  The subtitles never showed up on any of the files.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawboy12 View Post



Quote:

Hi,

Thank you 4DThinker  for  replying  to my question

 

If you could in this link there are 4 samples of  mkv video files  zipped, I would be very grateful to you if you could try them.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NHMGIGIJ

 

 

 
post #26 of 477

Hey 4D, awesome review. You mentioned earlier in the thread that the battery life was pretty close to the advertised. With what settings (ie. wifi off) did you have it last that long?

 

Currently looking to get my first real PMP and right now it's between the D3 and the J3... leaning towards this cause of the Rockbox for Android and wouldn't mind hearing if you could squeeze a bit more battery out of it if need be.

post #27 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post

Tested all the samples. All played.  The one with 2 audio channels let me pick either channel.  The subtitles never showed up on any of the files.


Thank you very much 4DThinker for testing these  video samples smile.gif

post #28 of 477

"Don't be afraid of going slow, but be afraid of standing still"

 

Slow improvement is better than no improvement.

post #29 of 477
Thread Starter 

I haven't done any official battery tests with the D3.  I have only concluded from my use of it that it would last close to the estimates.  I shut WiFi off when I'm not using it.  Only use bluetooth at night in bed for 1/2 hour or so. Have watched a few movies through.  Looking at the battery percentage shown, and doing some math in my head is how I concluded Cowon's conservative estimates are close.  For example one 2 hour movie drained my battery from full to 80%. My math then deduces five 2 hours movies could be watched on one charge, each using 20% of a charge.  Of course your mileage will vary.   Don't get the D3 if you want 60 hours of music play per charge. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnarg View Post

Hey 4D, awesome review. You mentioned earlier in the thread that the battery life was pretty close to the advertised. With what settings (ie. wifi off) did you have it last that long?

 

Currently looking to get my first real PMP and right now it's between the D3 and the J3... leaning towards this cause of the Rockbox for Android and wouldn't mind hearing if you could squeeze a bit more battery out of it if need be.

post #30 of 477
Thread Starter 

Cowon released version  1.29 (Korean version) a day or two ago,  so I expect to see 2.29, 3.29, and 4.29 for the various markets available any day now.

 

On another front, it appears Cowon has contacted anythingbutipod.com to arrange for a download area they could place android apps for the D3 in. Nothing but a Pac-Man game so far, but it points out that they know the shortcomings of the D3 (no market app) and are looking for ways to overcome them.

 

4D 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.