- 3,368 Posts. Joined 11/2008
- Location: Chelsea, AL
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 666post #9976 of 1437910/4/13 at 10:46amThread StarterWill post pics later today.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9977 of 1437910/4/13 at 11:04ampost #9978 of 1437910/4/13 at 11:24ampost #9979 of 1437910/4/13 at 11:29amThread StarterOne interesting note is the 9500 was the last amp designed by sansui's founder Kosaku Kikuchi. And it was consider his last crown jewel. The folks over at audiokarma rave about it for its design and build quality and it said there's never been an amp with that level of enginurity either before or after the the 9500 was born.
It's been high on my radar but very few have come through eBay in excellent condition, and I refuse to pay a few hundred for a beat up amp. So one in great condition came up in my area a few weeks ago. I'm the third owner, the previous owner owned it since the late 70s and claimed it's been in storage for the last 16 years. After blowing the dust off, the insides looks immaculate. And the build quality truly is second to none. I was never really a fan of the outward appearance, but I will say it's growing on me.post #9980 of 1437910/4/13 at 11:41ampost #9981 of 1437910/4/13 at 12:01pm
Team Sansui indeed
I beg to differ about the appearance though. I absolutely love how the 9500 looks. No other amps look like the classic Sansui's. They're in a class of their own. I love how my lowly au-505 looks.
Here it is with my recently acquired hd600's. A great hp for vintage gear.post #9982 of 1437910/4/13 at 1:05pmThread Starterpost #9983 of 1437910/4/13 at 1:10pmpost #9984 of 1437910/4/13 at 1:12pmpost #9985 of 1437910/4/13 at 1:19pmpost #9986 of 1437910/4/13 at 1:26pmpost #9987 of 1437910/4/13 at 1:33pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, another few interesting facts are....it's rated at only 75wpc at from 20-20,000hz at .05% thd. But it weighs slightly more than my 9090db and 2325 at just over 51lbs. Both of those receivers are conservatively rated at 125wpc. It's at least as powerful as those to receivers. And keep in mind 9090db and 2325 have the added bulk and weight of housing a tuner well. For reference, an au11000 I use to own(110wpc) only weighs 42lbs and the au-717 weighs in at 39lbs. I don't know what the true wattage for this amp is, but I'm quiet positive it's well over 100wpc given the speakers I've tried it on and also in comparison to the drive capabilities of my other amps/receivers.post #9988 of 1437910/4/13 at 1:36pmThread Starter
Lol, just make sure you don't forget to bring along the "G". That's a piece of gear so serious that can only be signified by one letterpost #9989 of 1437910/4/13 at 1:37pmpost #9990 of 1437910/4/13 at 1:49pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology 51 seconds ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 1 minute ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 1 minute ago
- › what is the best portable music player to have? 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 mods 1 minute ago
- › La Figaro 339 2 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 2 minutes ago
- › Post a picture of your Headphone Rig. 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2