My guess is that you are over driving the aux input and just a tiny increase in volume causes clipping in the early stages of amplification. Have you tried lowing the input volume way down and just adjusting overall volume with the Pioneer? The other possibility is that you have an impedance mismatch between the pioneer and other devices.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Brainwavz needs no introduction. They have been in the IEM market long enough that they have made a name for themselves, especially in the bang-for-bucks section. The S5 has been in the market for...
I would like to start by saying thank you to Penon Audio for letting me check out the SHOZY Lancea. The Lacea was sent to me in exchange for my honest opinion of it. The SHOZY Lancea is available...
Fidelio X2 is a really nice headphone at this price point. I paid only 190 USD for a new pair and cannot be more happy with the purchase. X2 sounds very open and has an airy soundstage. Still the...
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 659post #9871 of 149149/18/13 at 11:44am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9872 of 149149/18/13 at 12:21pm
First, Thanks very much for your reply. :)
Only using the Pioneer volume control was my starting strategy so I began with the CFC4 and EAR as low as I could since I figured I might overload the preamp in the Pioneer but I still got the distortion from the Pioneer even at very low levels. I tried keeping the CFC4 low and increasing the EAR and then the other way round still hoping to control volume using using Pioneer but it kept distorting/clipping even at a low volume level when the Pioneer Volume knob increased. Eventually I ended up at the very high Setting on the CFC4 and EAR and the very low Pioneer setting. It usually worked plenty well for providing adequate volume levels and does sound surprisingly great but it doesn't seem like a final solution. Thanks again.
jeffpost #9873 of 149149/18/13 at 12:23pmpost #9874 of 149149/18/13 at 12:47pmpost #9875 of 149149/18/13 at 2:31pm
On the subject of "what is done and what is not done" when you buy a "serviced" vintage amp... I saw one on ebay with the description "completely tech serviced" and asked what that meant, and the seller replied:Quote:Basically gone through to test & check that everything is functioning internally the way it should & clean & lube parts that need it & run the unit for hours to insure stable condition.
I then asked:Quote:Does that include either checking that individual components (resistors,capacitors,etc.) are still the same value as originally (e.g. "100 ohms")? And does it include setting the Bias and the D.C. Offset ?
and the reply was:Quote:I am not a repair Tech. so don't really know. I just take them in for what is called "Basic service".
Been selling a lot of items over the years & taking them to my Tech & prior to sale with much success!
and that's the problem in a nutshell - most vintage amp owners do not know about the issues discussed in this thread, or on AudioKarma Forums. The listing price clearly includes the servicing cost, as the amp is "one owner" and that is not the seller, so he is clearly having the service done as a sales gimmick.
Since anyone can do a clean, Deoxit, and run the amp for several hours, then having it done by a "tech" is only to reassure bidders. But it does not get the buyer anything, since he says:Quote:Do to the age & nature of older electronics this item is being sold "As-is"
So, in short, I am not seeing the benefit of buying "serviced" vintage amps, unless the servicing includes recapping or other component replacement.post #9876 of 149149/18/13 at 3:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by kstuart
On the subject of "what is done and what is not done" when you buy a "serviced" vintage amp... I saw one on ebay with the description "completely tech serviced" and asked what that meant, ... in short, I am not seeing the benefit of buying "serviced" vintage amps, unless the servicing includes recapping or other component replacement.
I largely agree. I think there should be a small premium for a clean amp, but unless it has been competently serviced (and the seller has to know what happened) I wouldn't pay more for it. I'd want to know why it was serviced and what it entailed for sure.post #9877 of 149149/18/13 at 11:44pm
I suppose in one sense, it shows that the amp should be working. I've bought amps that were described as fully working but they weren't. If an amp has recently been 'serviced' its generally a good sign that it will work as it should when you receive it.
Also, amps that have been recapped or had any parts of the insides replaced is a rare find and will always be mentioned. Not only because you would be selling something that has been changed from its original state, but also the cost of this will generally be more than what the original amp was worth- if done professionally. Any DIY'ers that replace caps etc will always mention it because they know it adds value and interest.
But kstuart you are right that most of us could service an amp. A quick squirt on the pots could be construed as "serviced". It's a loose term for sure..
For instance. I "serviced" my wife last night and I could tell that she wasn't very satisfied.post #9878 of 149149/19/13 at 4:57am
Just ordered the HE-500! unfortunately I will be on vacation for a month so I wont know how great they will be with my vintage gear until I get back. But I will bring my laptop, Nuforce icon HDP and I did order the Fiio Mont Blanc that I can use but I am also bringing my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm so that little amp should be able to drive those at least and the HDP well maybe can do a little justice for the HE-500.post #9879 of 149149/19/13 at 5:33amQuote:Originally Posted by harrinj
Just ordered the HE-500! unfortunately I will be on vacation for a month so I wont know how great they will be with my vintage gear until I get back. But I will bring my laptop, Nuforce icon HDP and I did order the Fiio Mont Blanc that I can use but I am also bringing my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm so that little amp should be able to drive those at least and the HDP well maybe can do a little justice for the HE-500.
Congrats! Look forward to your impressions with your vintage gear when you get back.Don't forget to send us a postcard :Dpost #9880 of 149149/19/13 at 7:30amQuote:
Thanks! though switched the HDP for my UDH-100 :P I'm hoping a place I am going today might have a Marantz 4300 or a Kenoowd amp above KT-7100.post #9881 of 149149/19/13 at 2:15pm
Anyone here paired a Sansui AU-717 with the Sennheiser HD-800? Or has anyone heard this pairing?
I'm loving this amp with my HD-650's but as always...well.....sorry about my wallet!post #9882 of 149149/19/13 at 3:04pmI have serviced a 417 and 717 and have tested both with the HD800. I did not like the pairing at all, the warm sounding nature took too much of the HD800 sound away, it sounded, less detailed and bit veiled.post #9883 of 149149/19/13 at 3:09pmpost #9884 of 149149/19/13 at 3:30pmQuote:
If you're in the Vancouver, WA area, I'd ber happy to let you listen to mine.post #9885 of 149149/19/13 at 3:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by harrinj
Just ordered the HE-500! unfortunately I will be on vacation for a month so I wont know how great they will be with my vintage gear until I get back. But I will bring my laptop, Nuforce icon HDP and I did order the Fiio Mont Blanc that I can use but I am also bringing my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm so that little amp should be able to drive those at least and the HDP well maybe can do a little justice for the HE-500.Quote:
Nevermind. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 4 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 22 seconds ago
- › Is there really such a thing as a non - colored headphone ( are the... 52 seconds ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 56 seconds ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 59 seconds ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 1 minute ago
- › JVC Victor HP-DX1000 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › A Brief Guide to Audio for the Skeptical Consumer 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2