My guess is that you are over driving the aux input and just a tiny increase in volume causes clipping in the early stages of amplification. Have you tried lowing the input volume way down and just adjusting overall volume with the Pioneer? The other possibility is that you have an impedance mismatch between the pioneer and other devices.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/21/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I bought the SMSL sApII as a stop-gap after my Little Dot MKIII failed after 5 years of use, five hours a day. No complaints there! I just don't have the money to upgrade just now! I have invested...
Introduction: Lend Me UR ears, based in Singapore is an online and physical store that opened in December 2011 with a goal to “bring quality audio products to the masses and providing good...
I got the same kind but of course in purple Philips SHE3590PP/28 In-Ear Headphones (Purple) - there is basically no based and I had to turn the volume way up to hear sound that didn't sound cheap.
Soundaware M1 Pro / “Esther” – initial impressions I had the opportunity to listen to the Soundaware M1 Pro as part of the recent UK and North American tours that the company have...
Bought these after receiving the Massdrop HE-350s which were just too treble-forward for my taste. I listen to a lot of music when at work. Desk space is limited, so I can't justify running an...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 659post #9871 of 166359/18/13 at 11:44am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9872 of 166359/18/13 at 12:21pm
First, Thanks very much for your reply. :)
Only using the Pioneer volume control was my starting strategy so I began with the CFC4 and EAR as low as I could since I figured I might overload the preamp in the Pioneer but I still got the distortion from the Pioneer even at very low levels. I tried keeping the CFC4 low and increasing the EAR and then the other way round still hoping to control volume using using Pioneer but it kept distorting/clipping even at a low volume level when the Pioneer Volume knob increased. Eventually I ended up at the very high Setting on the CFC4 and EAR and the very low Pioneer setting. It usually worked plenty well for providing adequate volume levels and does sound surprisingly great but it doesn't seem like a final solution. Thanks again.
jeffpost #9873 of 166359/18/13 at 12:23pmpost #9874 of 166359/18/13 at 12:47pmpost #9875 of 166359/18/13 at 2:31pm
On the subject of "what is done and what is not done" when you buy a "serviced" vintage amp... I saw one on ebay with the description "completely tech serviced" and asked what that meant, and the seller replied:Quote:Basically gone through to test & check that everything is functioning internally the way it should & clean & lube parts that need it & run the unit for hours to insure stable condition.
I then asked:Quote:Does that include either checking that individual components (resistors,capacitors,etc.) are still the same value as originally (e.g. "100 ohms")? And does it include setting the Bias and the D.C. Offset ?
and the reply was:Quote:I am not a repair Tech. so don't really know. I just take them in for what is called "Basic service".
Been selling a lot of items over the years & taking them to my Tech & prior to sale with much success!
and that's the problem in a nutshell - most vintage amp owners do not know about the issues discussed in this thread, or on AudioKarma Forums. The listing price clearly includes the servicing cost, as the amp is "one owner" and that is not the seller, so he is clearly having the service done as a sales gimmick.
Since anyone can do a clean, Deoxit, and run the amp for several hours, then having it done by a "tech" is only to reassure bidders. But it does not get the buyer anything, since he says:Quote:Do to the age & nature of older electronics this item is being sold "As-is"
So, in short, I am not seeing the benefit of buying "serviced" vintage amps, unless the servicing includes recapping or other component replacement.post #9876 of 166359/18/13 at 3:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by kstuart
On the subject of "what is done and what is not done" when you buy a "serviced" vintage amp... I saw one on ebay with the description "completely tech serviced" and asked what that meant, ... in short, I am not seeing the benefit of buying "serviced" vintage amps, unless the servicing includes recapping or other component replacement.
I largely agree. I think there should be a small premium for a clean amp, but unless it has been competently serviced (and the seller has to know what happened) I wouldn't pay more for it. I'd want to know why it was serviced and what it entailed for sure.post #9877 of 166359/18/13 at 11:44pm
I suppose in one sense, it shows that the amp should be working. I've bought amps that were described as fully working but they weren't. If an amp has recently been 'serviced' its generally a good sign that it will work as it should when you receive it.
Also, amps that have been recapped or had any parts of the insides replaced is a rare find and will always be mentioned. Not only because you would be selling something that has been changed from its original state, but also the cost of this will generally be more than what the original amp was worth- if done professionally. Any DIY'ers that replace caps etc will always mention it because they know it adds value and interest.
But kstuart you are right that most of us could service an amp. A quick squirt on the pots could be construed as "serviced". It's a loose term for sure..
For instance. I "serviced" my wife last night and I could tell that she wasn't very satisfied.post #9878 of 166359/19/13 at 4:57am
Just ordered the HE-500! unfortunately I will be on vacation for a month so I wont know how great they will be with my vintage gear until I get back. But I will bring my laptop, Nuforce icon HDP and I did order the Fiio Mont Blanc that I can use but I am also bringing my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm so that little amp should be able to drive those at least and the HDP well maybe can do a little justice for the HE-500.post #9879 of 166359/19/13 at 5:33amQuote:Originally Posted by harrinj
Just ordered the HE-500! unfortunately I will be on vacation for a month so I wont know how great they will be with my vintage gear until I get back. But I will bring my laptop, Nuforce icon HDP and I did order the Fiio Mont Blanc that I can use but I am also bringing my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm so that little amp should be able to drive those at least and the HDP well maybe can do a little justice for the HE-500.
Congrats! Look forward to your impressions with your vintage gear when you get back.Don't forget to send us a postcard :Dpost #9880 of 166359/19/13 at 7:30amQuote:
Thanks! though switched the HDP for my UDH-100 :P I'm hoping a place I am going today might have a Marantz 4300 or a Kenoowd amp above KT-7100.post #9881 of 166359/19/13 at 2:15pm
Anyone here paired a Sansui AU-717 with the Sennheiser HD-800? Or has anyone heard this pairing?
I'm loving this amp with my HD-650's but as always...well.....sorry about my wallet!post #9882 of 166359/19/13 at 3:04pmI have serviced a 417 and 717 and have tested both with the HD800. I did not like the pairing at all, the warm sounding nature took too much of the HD800 sound away, it sounded, less detailed and bit veiled.post #9883 of 166359/19/13 at 3:09pmpost #9884 of 166359/19/13 at 3:30pmQuote:
If you're in the Vancouver, WA area, I'd ber happy to let you listen to mine.post #9885 of 166359/19/13 at 3:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by harrinj
Just ordered the HE-500! unfortunately I will be on vacation for a month so I wont know how great they will be with my vintage gear until I get back. But I will bring my laptop, Nuforce icon HDP and I did order the Fiio Mont Blanc that I can use but I am also bringing my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm so that little amp should be able to drive those at least and the HDP well maybe can do a little justice for the HE-500.Quote:
Nevermind. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Comparisons: 32 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 12 seconds ago
- › The decline of the forum signature 59 seconds ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › 2016 LCDX vs 2016 LCD3 1 minute ago
- › Thinking of going back to CD's ... Am I nuts? 3 minutes ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 3 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 4 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 4 minutes ago
- › SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 Big Power High Fidelity Stereo Headphone... by richyboy
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by crabdog
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by Prosie
- › Soundaware Esther by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by MaximumEnnui
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by EvenR
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Brooko
- › The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Series 3 Hifi Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...