My guess is that you are over driving the aux input and just a tiny increase in volume causes clipping in the early stages of amplification. Have you tried lowing the input volume way down and just adjusting overall volume with the Pioneer? The other possibility is that you have an impedance mismatch between the pioneer and other devices.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 9/19/11 at 10:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 3/31/11 at 8:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 9/13/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 659post #9872 of 111449/18/13 at 12:21pm
First, Thanks very much for your reply. :)
Only using the Pioneer volume control was my starting strategy so I began with the CFC4 and EAR as low as I could since I figured I might overload the preamp in the Pioneer but I still got the distortion from the Pioneer even at very low levels. I tried keeping the CFC4 low and increasing the EAR and then the other way round still hoping to control volume using using Pioneer but it kept distorting/clipping even at a low volume level when the Pioneer Volume knob increased. Eventually I ended up at the very high Setting on the CFC4 and EAR and the very low Pioneer setting. It usually worked plenty well for providing adequate volume levels and does sound surprisingly great but it doesn't seem like a final solution. Thanks again.
jeffpost #9873 of 111449/18/13 at 12:23pmpost #9874 of 111449/18/13 at 12:47pmpost #9875 of 111449/18/13 at 2:31pm
On the subject of "what is done and what is not done" when you buy a "serviced" vintage amp... I saw one on ebay with the description "completely tech serviced" and asked what that meant, and the seller replied:Quote:Basically gone through to test & check that everything is functioning internally the way it should & clean & lube parts that need it & run the unit for hours to insure stable condition.
I then asked:Quote:Does that include either checking that individual components (resistors,capacitors,etc.) are still the same value as originally (e.g. "100 ohms")? And does it include setting the Bias and the D.C. Offset ?
and the reply was:Quote:I am not a repair Tech. so don't really know. I just take them in for what is called "Basic service".
Been selling a lot of items over the years & taking them to my Tech & prior to sale with much success!
and that's the problem in a nutshell - most vintage amp owners do not know about the issues discussed in this thread, or on AudioKarma Forums. The listing price clearly includes the servicing cost, as the amp is "one owner" and that is not the seller, so he is clearly having the service done as a sales gimmick.
Since anyone can do a clean, Deoxit, and run the amp for several hours, then having it done by a "tech" is only to reassure bidders. But it does not get the buyer anything, since he says:Quote:Do to the age & nature of older electronics this item is being sold "As-is"
So, in short, I am not seeing the benefit of buying "serviced" vintage amps, unless the servicing includes recapping or other component replacement.post #9876 of 111449/18/13 at 3:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by kstuart
On the subject of "what is done and what is not done" when you buy a "serviced" vintage amp... I saw one on ebay with the description "completely tech serviced" and asked what that meant, ... in short, I am not seeing the benefit of buying "serviced" vintage amps, unless the servicing includes recapping or other component replacement.
I largely agree. I think there should be a small premium for a clean amp, but unless it has been competently serviced (and the seller has to know what happened) I wouldn't pay more for it. I'd want to know why it was serviced and what it entailed for sure.post #9877 of 111449/18/13 at 11:44pm
I suppose in one sense, it shows that the amp should be working. I've bought amps that were described as fully working but they weren't. If an amp has recently been 'serviced' its generally a good sign that it will work as it should when you receive it.
Also, amps that have been recapped or had any parts of the insides replaced is a rare find and will always be mentioned. Not only because you would be selling something that has been changed from its original state, but also the cost of this will generally be more than what the original amp was worth- if done professionally. Any DIY'ers that replace caps etc will always mention it because they know it adds value and interest.
But kstuart you are right that most of us could service an amp. A quick squirt on the pots could be construed as "serviced". It's a loose term for sure..
For instance. I "serviced" my wife last night and I could tell that she wasn't very satisfied.post #9878 of 111449/19/13 at 4:57am
Just ordered the HE-500! unfortunately I will be on vacation for a month so I wont know how great they will be with my vintage gear until I get back. But I will bring my laptop, Nuforce icon HDP and I did order the Fiio Mont Blanc that I can use but I am also bringing my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm so that little amp should be able to drive those at least and the HDP well maybe can do a little justice for the HE-500.post #9879 of 111449/19/13 at 5:33amQuote:Originally Posted by harrinj
Just ordered the HE-500! unfortunately I will be on vacation for a month so I wont know how great they will be with my vintage gear until I get back. But I will bring my laptop, Nuforce icon HDP and I did order the Fiio Mont Blanc that I can use but I am also bringing my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm so that little amp should be able to drive those at least and the HDP well maybe can do a little justice for the HE-500.
Congrats! Look forward to your impressions with your vintage gear when you get back.Don't forget to send us a postcard :Dpost #9880 of 111449/19/13 at 7:30amQuote:
Thanks! though switched the HDP for my UDH-100 :P I'm hoping a place I am going today might have a Marantz 4300 or a Kenoowd amp above KT-7100.post #9881 of 111449/19/13 at 2:15pm
Anyone here paired a Sansui AU-717 with the Sennheiser HD-800? Or has anyone heard this pairing?
I'm loving this amp with my HD-650's but as always...well.....sorry about my wallet!post #9882 of 111449/19/13 at 3:04pmI have serviced a 417 and 717 and have tested both with the HD800. I did not like the pairing at all, the warm sounding nature took too much of the HD800 sound away, it sounded, less detailed and bit veiled.post #9883 of 111449/19/13 at 3:09pmpost #9884 of 111449/19/13 at 3:30pmQuote:
If you're in the Vancouver, WA area, I'd ber happy to let you listen to mine.post #9885 of 111449/19/13 at 3:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by harrinj
Just ordered the HE-500! unfortunately I will be on vacation for a month so I wont know how great they will be with my vintage gear until I get back. But I will bring my laptop, Nuforce icon HDP and I did order the Fiio Mont Blanc that I can use but I am also bringing my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm so that little amp should be able to drive those at least and the HDP well maybe can do a little justice for the HE-500.Quote:
Nevermind. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › AKG K702 (used) 702 4 seconds ago
- › Moon Audio Black Dragon Headphones Cable (DIY) - 5 Ft. with ALO... 11 seconds ago
- › Review: InEar StageDiver Series 14 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Dec 16th 2013 and feature poll... 1 minute ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 1 minute ago
- › New! Focal Spirit Pro? 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for new Full Sized headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new série Z 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe