Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 641

post #9601 of 13633

How about a nice looking one for $125? It would be an hours drive though each way. I guess I know the answer and thanks for that Rob. 

post #9602 of 13633
125 for a nice one is definitely a good deal, no doubt. I guess the real question is...since you already have a 1280, what would you do with the 880?
post #9603 of 13633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

125 for a nice one is definitely a good deal, no doubt. I guess the real question is...since you already have a 1280, what would you do with the 880?

 

Stack them. beerchug.gif

post #9604 of 13633

Picked this up today:

Fisher 800B

The cabinet is flawless.  face needs a good cleaning.  and two knobs are missing the gold caps.  It functions great.  But to my dismay, NO HEADPHONE JACK.

So upset.  how dumb am I?  I mean i bought it as a speaker amp, but was excited to try my LCD2's with it.  I guess if i don't like it i can always unload it and wait for a 500C or 800C

post #9605 of 13633

I offer to relieve you of this enormous burden. biggrin.gif

post #9606 of 13633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrbington View Post

Picked this up today:

Fisher 800B

The cabinet is flawless.  face needs a good cleaning.  and two knobs are missing the gold caps.  It functions great.  But to my dismay, NO HEADPHONE JACK.

So upset.  how dumb am I?  I mean i bought it as a speaker amp, but was excited to try my LCD2's with it.  I guess if i don't like it i can always unload it and wait for a 500C or 800C


Can you do some speaker tap hookups?  I know just enough (scary) to ask that ignorant question but maybe you can? 

post #9607 of 13633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


Can you do some speaker tap hookups?  I know just enough (scary) to ask that ignorant question but maybe you can? 

 

Heck yeah!! Good suggestion O.

post #9608 of 13633
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

Heck yeah!! Good suggestion O.

Yeah, just did that for my HE-6's to my Pioneer SX-5590. Sounds pretty great now, but it needs some new power caps that I just ordered. Hope they get here soon :)

post #9609 of 13633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrbington View Post

Picked this up today:

Fisher 800B

The cabinet is flawless.  face needs a good cleaning.  and two knobs are missing the gold caps.  It functions great.  But to my dismay, NO HEADPHONE JACK.

So upset.  how dumb am I?  I mean i bought it as a speaker amp, but was excited to try my LCD2's with it.  I guess if i don't like it i can always unload it and wait for a 500C or 800C

Get a hifiman he-adapter

http://ebay.com/itm/NEW-Head-Direct-HIFIMAN-HE-Adapter-FREE-SHIPPING/260879194207?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D988626670297989390%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D190895020835%26

post #9610 of 13633
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

What's wrong with that? My 750 is always between 8-9 with my headphones, but there is still plenty of adjustment there. The volume dial is still fine enough. 

I'd just like to be able to fine-tune my volume some more, perhaps with the max comfortable level sitting around noon instead of nine.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post

I'd love to indulge, but I don't have the right room or budget for stats.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

 

85 dB sensitivity - They actually aren't very sensitive!

 

I'm guessing it's your room... Is it fairly small? Reflective?

The 780 is in my bedroom setup, so it's pretty cramped.

post #9611 of 13633

I think around 9 oclock on the volume pot is good for headphone listening on these older amps. A couple of my amps start to exhibit hiss at around 11- 12 whether a pre amp is involved or not. Of course depends on headphones. 

post #9612 of 13633

I never like to listen above 9 period. Trying to save my hearing for the long run. biggrin.gif

post #9613 of 13633

Same here. With my setup, using the Q701, I'm usually in the 8-8:30 area

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I never like to listen above 9 period. Trying to save my hearing for the long run. biggrin.gif

post #9614 of 13633

Here's to listening at soft-medium. 

 

beerchug.gif

post #9615 of 13633

beerchug.gif In my opinion the Q701 is only really usable at low-moderate volume. I think most people who call them harsh probably try to listen to them too loud, and with too weak of an amp. When listened to in the 70-80db range with a lot of power on tap and a slight(3db or so) bass boost, they are great. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Here's to listening at soft-medium. 

 

beerchug.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners