Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 624

post #9346 of 13503
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

Just beautiful LugBug!! I'm starting to check into collection something without a receiver. I just don't ever use the tuner and I like the look of the Pioneer you have there. 

Cheers bud, looking forward to pics of your new Sansui. I've been reading up on it and you've got yourself an absolute classic. 

post #9347 of 13503

I'm happy to say I just got my new (to me) Sansui AU-717! Wow how I've missed that old Sansui sound. It makes my Senn HD-650's sing like never before. I can't believe how strong the bass is now.

post #9348 of 13503

...

post #9349 of 13503
Quote:
Originally Posted by bce22 View Post

If you only had $400 would you use it:

1. restore your Scott 299b tube amp which you refuse to use until restored.  (worth saying i play vinyl, have klipsch cornwalls, and this amp has no headphone out)

2. purchase a cosmetically B+/A Kenwood Supreme 600 that is non-functioning (needs basic restore service).

Im so confused.

I would of course advocate restoring the Scott first. I think it's important to have a nice piece that you can count on to work right every single day.

@LugBug1 - that really is a nice looking Pioneer!!!!!

@Harriinj - that's a nice Marantz if you get it fixed up but you have some leaking caps there, so that's an unit that will need immediate attention before use.
post #9350 of 13503
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

You guys are just a little crazy...in the best possible way. biggrin.gif
 I think that it takes a little wild abandon to chase and collect this gear. I've already driven to TN and SC for vintage gear (9090db and KLH 17's). And I had a blast doing it. I got ridiculous deals on both and can always flip them if I need to. 

The Sansui model 8 is fully restored and recapped. I will have a full report with pics later. Enjoy the weekend gentleman...

Congrats Matt' I'm glad it turned out to be restored. Good deal on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post

my Marantz 4400 is AMAZING! it brings out BASS in AKG K702 like I have never heard them produce before, sound's dance around in your head like it's 3D, it's super cool. I would not mind getting a new faceplate for it (it's kinda beat up...) other than that its great except the capacitors on the PSB, I can't really tell if it's 'glue' or they decided to defy gravity and leak all over. I am afraid to attach speakers to it (I took a risk with my K702's) because there seems to be something happening in the right channel. The scope is green, I was hoping for blue but it's ok.

Nice marantz. Love the fact it has the scope.


Lugbug really digging the pioneer. That's a nice find!
post #9351 of 13503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post


I would of course advocate restoring the Scott first. I think it's important to have a nice piece that you can count on to work right every single day.

@LugBug1 - that really is a nice looking Pioneer!!!!!

@Harriinj - that's a nice Marantz if you get it fixed up but you have some leaking caps there, so that's an unit that will need immediate attention before use.

Thanks Rob.

 

Im going to do that.  Meewoo has a kenwood supreme 500 which he may let me borrow to see if i enjoy the kenny sound.

 

oh, by the way i dont know if you care but your pics on your SX-1980 thread at AK no longer appear.  Its like watching a movie with no video and only audio.  such a tease!


Edited by bce22 - 8/24/13 at 7:54am
post #9352 of 13503

Thanks Rob and Moody :)

 

 

Been doing a little bit of a/bing with my Sansui. They're both in the same price bracket (mid end) so I'd say its a fair comparison. 

 

Pioneer SX508; bigger sound-stage, more control of the lower end. A more 'whole' sound as opposed to singling out bass, mid, treb, the freq's blend perfectly as one. Effortless dynamics. More open. More authority. 

 

Sansui 551; More organic sounding, sweeter, more sparkle at the very top (this may be because my Sansui is in very good condition inside). A more velvety sound. More 'tube' like. Perhaps a bit more depth in the mids. The Sansui makes my HD800's sound very planar like. Liquidy.

 

Both amps have about the same amount of detail retrieval, with the pioneer just winning in regards to imaging. The instruments seem to have a little more space to breath.

 

My K701's really sound amazing with the Pioneer, in all honesty they get very close to HD800 performance with electronic music and the soundstage is just crazy! I also love the way the HD800's respond to the Sansui's syrupy sound and depth. So it looks like I've got two very happy headphones at the mo with their respective partners :)

post #9353 of 13503
Quote:
Originally Posted by bce22 View Post

Thanks Rob.


oh, by the way i dont know if you care but your pics on your SX-1980 thread at AK no longer appear.  Its like watching a movie with no video and only audio.  such a tease!

They should be back now. Either I post too many pics, or you guys look at them too much! I hit my "free account" bandwidth limit on Photobucket, which I didn't even know existed. So I just had to fork over $30 for a year of unlimited bandwidth. Oh well.
post #9354 of 13503
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Couple of daylight shots of the Pioneer because it was dark by the time I'd finished cleaning it yesterday.

 

 

 

 

Yes, very handsome indeed! I love the silver face pioneers of this vintage. Just classy and simple.

post #9355 of 13503
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Thanks Rob and Moody :)

 

 

Been doing a little bit of a/bing with my Sansui. They're both in the same price bracket (mid end) so I'd say its a fair comparison. 

 

Pioneer SX508; bigger sound-stage, more control of the lower end. A more 'whole' sound as opposed to singling out bass, mid, treb, the freq's blend perfectly as one. Effortless dynamics. More open. More authority. 

 

Sansui 551; More organic sounding, sweeter, more sparkle at the very top (this may be because my Sansui is in very good condition inside). A more velvety sound. More 'tube' like. Perhaps a bit more depth in the mids. The Sansui makes my HD800's sound very planar like. Liquidy.

 

Both amps have about the same amount of detail retrieval, with the pioneer just winning in regards to imaging. The instruments seem to have a little more space to breath.

 

My K701's really sound amazing with the Pioneer, in all honesty they get very close to HD800 performance with electronic music and the soundstage is just crazy! I also love the way the HD800's respond to the Sansui's syrupy sound and depth. So it looks like I've got two very happy headphones at the mo with their respective partners :)

 

Are your 800's modded by chance? I find my modded 800's sound thick and muddy through my Pioneer. If I turn the bass down a notch or two it sounds better... still not as good as you're describing. I would never call the lower end "controlled." Of course, mines never been opened since I bought it in 1980... smile.gif Maybe I'll open the hood and snap some pictures of it.

post #9356 of 13503
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

 

Are your 800's modded by chance? I find my modded 800's sound thick and muddy through my Pioneer. If I turn the bass down a notch or two it sounds better... still not as good as you're describing. I would never call the lower end "controlled." Of course, mines never been opened since I bought it in 1980... smile.gif Maybe I'll open the hood and snap some pictures of it.

Thanks bud,

 

No mine aren't modded. They do sound warm, but when I'm saying 'more controlled' I mean in comparison to my Sansui. The Pioneer may not have the same level of control as a high end dedicated amp for example.

 

I have found some vintage amps to be a little too warm and muddy with the HD800's however, (my Marantz 2220 springs to mind) and thats with them un-modded... So I can well believe that they could sound thick and muddy with a vintage amp if they have a had a damping mod.  

 

Maybe give your Pioneer a good clean inside perhaps? Deoxit! It's magic stuff :)

post #9357 of 13503

I bet this thread is the busiest on Head-FI. I'm having a hard time keeping up with all of it but I skip over the soccer and beer stuff so that helps. tongue_smile.gif

post #9358 of 13503
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcykler View Post

I bet this thread is the busiest on Head-FI. I'm having a hard time keeping up with all of it but I skip over the soccer and beer stuff so that helps. tongue_smile.gif

Yup there's certainly a great buz on here at the mo! 

 

I personally think its cool that more peeps are getting into vintage. Some may worry about the prices getting higher etc, but the way I see it is - The more people want older amps then the more of them that will be in circulation. People will be going through attics and getting these machines out there. Then when we are all buying and selling there will be lots more to choose from. And play with! bigsmile_face.gif

post #9359 of 13503
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Thanks bud,

 

No mine aren't modded. They do sound warm, but when I'm saying 'more controlled' I mean in comparison to my Sansui. The Pioneer may not have the same level of control as a high end dedicated amp for example.

 

I have found some vintage amps to be a little too warm and muddy with the HD800's however, (my Marantz 2220 springs to mind) and thats with them un-modded... So I can well believe that they could sound thick and muddy with a vintage amp if they have a had a damping mod.  

 

Maybe give your Pioneer a good clean inside perhaps? Deoxit! It's magic stuff :)

 

Good feedback LugBug. Your descriptions help. I think I will do a little cleaning and give her another listen this weekend.

post #9360 of 13503
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcykler View Post

I bet this thread is the busiest on Head-FI. I'm having a hard time keeping up with all of it but I skip over the soccer and beer stuff so that helps. tongue_smile.gif

BTW, it is worth noting that the word "soccer" was coined by the captain of the England National Team about a hundred years ago.  At that time, rugby was often called "rugger", so he thought "soccer" would be a good matching shorthand for "Association Football".  He was a colorful character - sort of the Beckham of his day - who kept a few British Sovereign gold coins in a pocket of his shorts, and would hand one to a teammate who scored (I am not making this stuff up).

 

So, the people like John Oliver who go on about "You Americans and your word 'soccer' " are entirely wrong...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners