Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Hi Head-Fi/Vibro Labs fans, I was the second stop on the Aria tour, and I've had a great week reviewing them. This post will contain some of my thoughts and impressions, and I'll be touching on...
Ok I have been using a pair of these for several years. I logged on because there are way too many positive reviews of these things. Firstly: everything I mix on these is significantly...
Never thought this day would come but I guess blunders are inevitable. There is no denying the Beyerdynamic T5p is one attractive looking Headphone, I think it's among the most beautiful and...
I didn't have much expectations when i ordered this headphone from GearBest back in january 2016..it took around 3 weeks to arrive and the packaging was simple. The moment i unpacked the box i got...
Note: I bought the Trinity Phantom Sabre in the pre-order period for ~75€. The Value rating is based on the full retail price of around 150€. Manufacturer website:...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 163542/11/11 at 8:08pmpost #78 of 163542/11/11 at 8:14pmQuote:
The Power Amp is a Pioneer Spec 4. I am using it to drive 12 inch woofer. NIce sounding amp, very warm, and tube like. Bass response is not as deep and nice as the kenwood.post #79 of 163542/11/11 at 11:15pm
i do love kenwood myself. totally under-rated brand and always outside of the rader of vintage receivers and amps. i never saw a vintage kenwood power amp before but i do own a nice late 70's kenwood kr-720 receiver. even at 40wpc it sounds absolutely amazing and has very good push-pull control of the 12'' woofers in my 3-way technic floor speakers allowing for very accurate bass response. and how it handles high frequency extension is autonishing. i might take a pic later cause i'm letting my dad use it with pair of my 1970's pioneer cs-77a 4-way floor speakers.post #80 of 163542/12/11 at 1:00am
hey Rex how does your Kenwood KR-720 compare to the Sui 5000x? i've always wanted to take a dip in Kenwood waters but never quite found anything interesting 'cept perhap the KR-9050 monsta. LOL so give me a lowdown on sonic differences btwn the Kenny & the 'Sui. thxspost #81 of 163542/12/11 at 1:35am
i used my kenwood with my sansui for bi-amping my 2-way technic speakers. from what i remember the reason using my kenwood it gave a little more smoother midrange and highs and the clarity was better in the upper high frequencies and more controlled. my sansui sounded amazing as well and they sounded about almost the same but the thing that over lapped my kenwood was of course raw power and harder bass slam. if you want to get a pair of dual 5.5'' woofers to slam your lungs out and cause chest discomfort my 5000x is the one for the task. them together made the perfect match with my speakers untill i decided to give it to my dad. now i use my sansui au-d7 amp for my speakers.
gives me that clairty in the highs and midrange my kenwood had while giving me that bass slam i want sometimes when i'm in the mood when i feel like turning up my super bass and bass knobs(that's right. it has a knob to boost 10hz frequencies aka ''super bass'')
Quote:Originally Posted by scottiebabie
hey Rex how does your Kenwood KR-720 compare to the Sui 5000x? i've always wanted to take a dip in Kenwood waters but never quite found anything interesting 'cept perhap the KR-9050 monsta. LOL so give me a lowdown on sonic differences btwn the Kenny & the 'Sui. thxspost #82 of 163542/12/11 at 3:51ampost #83 of 163542/12/11 at 4:36ampost #84 of 163542/12/11 at 5:54amYeah, I have been into vintage hifi basically my whole life! I was using 60's Dynaco tube gear when I was in college in the 80's. While most of my gear is pretty modern, I'm still a tubes-n-vinyl guy . But I have been so enamored with my Fisher, I am considering buying another tube integrated, like maybe a Scott.post #85 of 163542/12/11 at 10:39amThread StarterI saw a Scott 222 go for a pretty good price on eBay recently. I almost pulled the trigger, but I didn't have any idea what it would have taken to bring it up to spec. Maybe I should have pulled the trigger anyway.post #86 of 163542/12/11 at 10:48amYeah, thats the one that interests me, due to the tube complement and the headphone jack . They do seem typically to not be cheap, though. Going to do some eBay watching for a while...post #87 of 163542/12/11 at 10:49amThread StarterI recently scored a pair of klipsch epic cf-2 in a thrift store for 200.00. They aren't quite vintage(early 1990s), but those and my fisher are a match made in heaven. It's one of the most musical sounds I've ever heard. Since their efficiency is around 98, it takes very little on the volume knob to get these to ear blasting levels. The speakers, as big as they are, just disappear in my small 10x10ft office. It's really like being there. That whole set up only cost me 450.00. And I would put it up against any 10,000.00 two channel setup that I've listened to. Simply amazing.post #88 of 163542/12/11 at 10:51amThread StarterQuote:
Well thanks Skylab. You just made me feel sick about not pulling the trigger. I think it went for about 200.00ish(lol).post #89 of 163542/12/11 at 10:54amLOL! That seems like a good price, but it probably would have needed re-capping at a minimum. I have to buy mine where that has already been done, as I just don't have the time or patience to do my own repair work. Maybe when I retirepost #90 of 163542/12/11 at 11:02amThread Starter
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Love my ATH-m50s but I am tired of the long coiled wire. Over-Ears... 47 seconds ago
- › Vibro Labs Introduction, USA tour, and Head-Fi discount! 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Heaphones 6 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 7 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 7 minutes ago
- › Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true? 9 minutes ago
- › Better eartips for Symphonized NRG 2.0? 9 minutes ago
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 9 minutes ago
- › New AK Jr owner 11 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Talai
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...