Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 3/11/15 at 10:11pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Hello all in Head Fi community. This is my first ever review in this forum.I am not an expert in reviewing so I will only use very simple term or definition to convey my message. I just received...
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 142972/11/11 at 8:08pmpost #78 of 142972/11/11 at 8:14pmQuote:
The Power Amp is a Pioneer Spec 4. I am using it to drive 12 inch woofer. NIce sounding amp, very warm, and tube like. Bass response is not as deep and nice as the kenwood.post #79 of 142972/11/11 at 11:15pm
i do love kenwood myself. totally under-rated brand and always outside of the rader of vintage receivers and amps. i never saw a vintage kenwood power amp before but i do own a nice late 70's kenwood kr-720 receiver. even at 40wpc it sounds absolutely amazing and has very good push-pull control of the 12'' woofers in my 3-way technic floor speakers allowing for very accurate bass response. and how it handles high frequency extension is autonishing. i might take a pic later cause i'm letting my dad use it with pair of my 1970's pioneer cs-77a 4-way floor speakers.post #80 of 142972/12/11 at 1:00am
hey Rex how does your Kenwood KR-720 compare to the Sui 5000x? i've always wanted to take a dip in Kenwood waters but never quite found anything interesting 'cept perhap the KR-9050 monsta. LOL so give me a lowdown on sonic differences btwn the Kenny & the 'Sui. thxspost #81 of 142972/12/11 at 1:35am
i used my kenwood with my sansui for bi-amping my 2-way technic speakers. from what i remember the reason using my kenwood it gave a little more smoother midrange and highs and the clarity was better in the upper high frequencies and more controlled. my sansui sounded amazing as well and they sounded about almost the same but the thing that over lapped my kenwood was of course raw power and harder bass slam. if you want to get a pair of dual 5.5'' woofers to slam your lungs out and cause chest discomfort my 5000x is the one for the task. them together made the perfect match with my speakers untill i decided to give it to my dad. now i use my sansui au-d7 amp for my speakers.
gives me that clairty in the highs and midrange my kenwood had while giving me that bass slam i want sometimes when i'm in the mood when i feel like turning up my super bass and bass knobs(that's right. it has a knob to boost 10hz frequencies aka ''super bass'')
Quote:Originally Posted by scottiebabie
hey Rex how does your Kenwood KR-720 compare to the Sui 5000x? i've always wanted to take a dip in Kenwood waters but never quite found anything interesting 'cept perhap the KR-9050 monsta. LOL so give me a lowdown on sonic differences btwn the Kenny & the 'Sui. thxspost #82 of 142972/12/11 at 3:51ampost #83 of 142972/12/11 at 4:36ampost #84 of 142972/12/11 at 5:54amYeah, I have been into vintage hifi basically my whole life! I was using 60's Dynaco tube gear when I was in college in the 80's. While most of my gear is pretty modern, I'm still a tubes-n-vinyl guy . But I have been so enamored with my Fisher, I am considering buying another tube integrated, like maybe a Scott.post #85 of 142972/12/11 at 10:39amThread StarterI saw a Scott 222 go for a pretty good price on eBay recently. I almost pulled the trigger, but I didn't have any idea what it would have taken to bring it up to spec. Maybe I should have pulled the trigger anyway.post #86 of 142972/12/11 at 10:48amYeah, thats the one that interests me, due to the tube complement and the headphone jack . They do seem typically to not be cheap, though. Going to do some eBay watching for a while...post #87 of 142972/12/11 at 10:49amThread StarterI recently scored a pair of klipsch epic cf-2 in a thrift store for 200.00. They aren't quite vintage(early 1990s), but those and my fisher are a match made in heaven. It's one of the most musical sounds I've ever heard. Since their efficiency is around 98, it takes very little on the volume knob to get these to ear blasting levels. The speakers, as big as they are, just disappear in my small 10x10ft office. It's really like being there. That whole set up only cost me 450.00. And I would put it up against any 10,000.00 two channel setup that I've listened to. Simply amazing.post #88 of 142972/12/11 at 10:51amThread StarterQuote:
Well thanks Skylab. You just made me feel sick about not pulling the trigger. I think it went for about 200.00ish(lol).post #89 of 142972/12/11 at 10:54amLOL! That seems like a good price, but it probably would have needed re-capping at a minimum. I have to buy mine where that has already been done, as I just don't have the time or patience to do my own repair work. Maybe when I retirepost #90 of 142972/12/11 at 11:02amThread Starter
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc. 26 seconds ago
- › Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts? 34 seconds ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 58 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Premium 12AU7 (ECC82) & EL34 vacuum tubes - Telefunken, Mullard and... 1 minute ago
- › It is odd but not peculiar... 2 minutes ago
- › Topping NX2 Portable DAC/Amp Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2