Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Campfire Audio Andromeda: Crown jewel of the Campfire fleet Introduction First, a disclaimer: I purchased the Andromeda ($1099USD) with my own money after doing my own research and thus...
Bluedio kindly sent me their 8-driver UFO bluetooth headphones in red for review - and boy I’m glad they did. Packaging Like all of their higher priced bluetooth models, the UFO’s come...
First of all, I would like to thank Shozy for the review sample of Shozy Zero! Website: http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ I believe what makes Shozy Zero unique is the wooden...
So I am fairly new to the audio world. The Monoprice 8323 was my second purchase on starting to get into headphones (after Superlux HD681 EVOs). I have had these headphones for about 6 months...
LEAR LHF-AE1d Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to LEAR for the sample. Brief: All of da pretty and they sound just as good too! Price: HK$1488 or atm £146 or...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 165262/11/11 at 8:08pmpost #78 of 165262/11/11 at 8:14pmQuote:
The Power Amp is a Pioneer Spec 4. I am using it to drive 12 inch woofer. NIce sounding amp, very warm, and tube like. Bass response is not as deep and nice as the kenwood.post #79 of 165262/11/11 at 11:15pm
i do love kenwood myself. totally under-rated brand and always outside of the rader of vintage receivers and amps. i never saw a vintage kenwood power amp before but i do own a nice late 70's kenwood kr-720 receiver. even at 40wpc it sounds absolutely amazing and has very good push-pull control of the 12'' woofers in my 3-way technic floor speakers allowing for very accurate bass response. and how it handles high frequency extension is autonishing. i might take a pic later cause i'm letting my dad use it with pair of my 1970's pioneer cs-77a 4-way floor speakers.post #80 of 165262/12/11 at 1:00am
hey Rex how does your Kenwood KR-720 compare to the Sui 5000x? i've always wanted to take a dip in Kenwood waters but never quite found anything interesting 'cept perhap the KR-9050 monsta. LOL so give me a lowdown on sonic differences btwn the Kenny & the 'Sui. thxspost #81 of 165262/12/11 at 1:35am
i used my kenwood with my sansui for bi-amping my 2-way technic speakers. from what i remember the reason using my kenwood it gave a little more smoother midrange and highs and the clarity was better in the upper high frequencies and more controlled. my sansui sounded amazing as well and they sounded about almost the same but the thing that over lapped my kenwood was of course raw power and harder bass slam. if you want to get a pair of dual 5.5'' woofers to slam your lungs out and cause chest discomfort my 5000x is the one for the task. them together made the perfect match with my speakers untill i decided to give it to my dad. now i use my sansui au-d7 amp for my speakers.
gives me that clairty in the highs and midrange my kenwood had while giving me that bass slam i want sometimes when i'm in the mood when i feel like turning up my super bass and bass knobs(that's right. it has a knob to boost 10hz frequencies aka ''super bass'')
Quote:Originally Posted by scottiebabie
hey Rex how does your Kenwood KR-720 compare to the Sui 5000x? i've always wanted to take a dip in Kenwood waters but never quite found anything interesting 'cept perhap the KR-9050 monsta. LOL so give me a lowdown on sonic differences btwn the Kenny & the 'Sui. thxspost #82 of 165262/12/11 at 3:51ampost #83 of 165262/12/11 at 4:36ampost #84 of 165262/12/11 at 5:54amYeah, I have been into vintage hifi basically my whole life! I was using 60's Dynaco tube gear when I was in college in the 80's. While most of my gear is pretty modern, I'm still a tubes-n-vinyl guy . But I have been so enamored with my Fisher, I am considering buying another tube integrated, like maybe a Scott.post #85 of 165262/12/11 at 10:39amThread StarterI saw a Scott 222 go for a pretty good price on eBay recently. I almost pulled the trigger, but I didn't have any idea what it would have taken to bring it up to spec. Maybe I should have pulled the trigger anyway.post #86 of 165262/12/11 at 10:48amYeah, thats the one that interests me, due to the tube complement and the headphone jack . They do seem typically to not be cheap, though. Going to do some eBay watching for a while...post #87 of 165262/12/11 at 10:49amThread StarterI recently scored a pair of klipsch epic cf-2 in a thrift store for 200.00. They aren't quite vintage(early 1990s), but those and my fisher are a match made in heaven. It's one of the most musical sounds I've ever heard. Since their efficiency is around 98, it takes very little on the volume knob to get these to ear blasting levels. The speakers, as big as they are, just disappear in my small 10x10ft office. It's really like being there. That whole set up only cost me 450.00. And I would put it up against any 10,000.00 two channel setup that I've listened to. Simply amazing.post #88 of 165262/12/11 at 10:51amThread StarterQuote:
Well thanks Skylab. You just made me feel sick about not pulling the trigger. I think it went for about 200.00ish(lol).post #89 of 165262/12/11 at 10:54amLOL! That seems like a good price, but it probably would have needed re-capping at a minimum. I have to buy mine where that has already been done, as I just don't have the time or patience to do my own repair work. Maybe when I retirepost #90 of 165262/12/11 at 11:02amThread Starter
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 4 minutes ago
- › New - Cowon Plenue S 5 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by k4rstar
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Peddler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by earfonia
- › Monoprice Premium 8323 Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone by 93EXCivic
- › LEAR LHF-AE1d hybrid fit earphones by mark2410
- › Edifier Rave MP700 by dnun8086
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Brooko
- › Edifier P220 In-Ear Chrome Design Headphones With Microphone - Blue by Hisoundfi
- › EasGear Morul U5 Waterproof Wireless Earbuds by James Mash
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by Pastapipo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...