Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 488

post #7306 of 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Looks like a beauty!!!

Senns and very efficient headphones and even the low wattage 550 will indeed push more power from its headphone out than most headphone amps. But that attenuator isn't stepped, is it? I think that came only on the higher end of the xx50 range.

Thanks Skylab.

 

No its not stepped. I'm gonna get some attenuator plugs to put on the rca inputs see if that takes it down a little. Luckily there doesn't seem to be any imbalance    at the lowest point. I can tell that my Senn's are being fed more power than they are used to. The sound is bigger with more authority, and the soundstage is just amazing! Do you happen to know what the power specs are through the hp out? I know it gives out 20 watts per channel for the speakers apparently, but can't find any info about the hp out. 

post #7307 of 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Thanks Skylab.

No its not stepped. I'm gonna get some attenuator plugs to put on the rca inputs see if that takes it down a little. Luckily there doesn't seem to be any imbalance    at the lowest point. I can tell that my Senn's are being fed more power than they are used to. The sound is bigger with more authority, and the soundstage is just amazing! Do you happen to know what the power specs are through the hp out? I know it gives out 20 watts per channel for the speakers apparently, but can't find any info about the hp out. 

This causes me to wonder if there are dacs with output level controls? First time I could see an actual usage for such a thing.
post #7308 of 13452
Sorry for the double post. /sigh
Edited by BigCabDaddy - 5/24/13 at 9:01am
post #7309 of 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Thanks Skylab.

No its not stepped. I'm gonna get some attenuator plugs to put on the rca inputs see if that takes it down a little. Luckily there doesn't seem to be any imbalance    at the lowest point. I can tell that my Senn's are being fed more power than they are used to. The sound is bigger with more authority, and the soundstage is just amazing! Do you happen to know what the power specs are through the hp out? I know it gives out 20 watts per channel for the speakers apparently, but can't find any info about the hp out. 

No, not sure. The HP out is fed directly from the main power amplifier just like the speakers except typically there is a dropping resistor in line with the headphone out. Not sure whether the 550 has that and if so what the value is - that would need to be known to calculate the power delivery into a given headphone impedance.
post #7310 of 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCabDaddy View Post


This causes me to wonder if there are dacs with output level controls? First time I could see an actual usage for such a thing.

Absolutely. I must stress that I am a low level listener but boy is it loud haha! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post


No, not sure. The HP out is fed directly from the main power amplifier just like the speakers except typically there is a dropping resistor in line with the headphone out. Not sure whether the 550 has that and if so what the value is - that would need to be known to calculate the power delivery into a given headphone impedance.

Thanks, yeah I'm new to this older technology so I'm learning as I go. Spent the last two weeks ploughing through this thread, Ebay and other specialist Websites. Was on the look out for a Marantz to begin with, but the more I read on the SX series the more I thought I might get more for my money. As the Marantz are very beautiful and sort after but generally cost a lot. Anyways I'm pleased I went with the Pioneer because it sounds better than any mid-fi headphone amp I've heard. 

 

For instance, this is on Ebay uk right now for the taking. Was put on yesterday. £745.00 or approx $1128.00 Wish I was rich.....

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTE0NzI0NzYwNTE2NDRhZTI5NWQ0NzA1MTllNTdmMTkwYmM5fHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT01LzI0LzEzIDk6MzIgQU0=

post #7311 of 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCabDaddy View Post


This causes me to wonder if there are dacs with output level controls? First time I could see an actual usage for such a thing.

 

Yes there are.  Emotiva makes one.  This new DAC is supposed to not compromise the sound quality as the volume is reduced (the prior version evidently did compromise it).

 

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xda2

post #7312 of 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmWr75 View Post

Yes there are.  Emotiva makes one.  This new DAC is supposed to not compromise the sound quality as the volume is reduced (the prior version evidently did compromise it).

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xda2

Cool! Best part is it comes in at a price I might actually consider and hold out for. I haven't read the description (nor reviews) yet. Any idea if it boosts as well as cuts? That is, is there an amplification element?
post #7313 of 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCabDaddy View Post


Cool! Best part is it comes in at a price I might actually consider and hold out for. I haven't read the description (nor reviews) yet. Any idea if it boosts as well as cuts? That is, is there an amplification element?

 

 

My guess is just cuts.  You run it at max volume if just using it as a DAC, at least that is how the XDA-1 I have works.

post #7314 of 13452
Nice Pioneer!
post #7315 of 13452

Indeed!Have a SX1010 myself!

post #7316 of 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by solserenade View Post

Nice Pioneer!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer616 View Post

Indeed!Have a SX1010 myself!

Cheers, yeah I remember you mentioning it in the HD800 thread. Have to agree that they feed the Senn's brilliantly. (I'm also a bit jealous of your 1010!)

 

 

Just an update on my receiver and the volume issue. Had a good play with it last night and I think it maybe just be me, and the fact that I'm used to less powerful amps. I remember the Schitt Magni being too loud for me as well.... I also had to turn my computer way down with that. However, most hp amps must have a low power output in comparison to vintage gear. 

I tried adding a pre amp in between my dac and the receiver and this worked, but at the expense of a little clarity. I don't like adding components unless absolutely necessary. Anyways I can live with losing a little digital data having the volume turned down on my media player because to be honest, theres really no difference. At least to my ears anyway. 

 

I'm still really impressed by the sound of this thing. It reminds me of my old OTL amp (it was similar to a crack) big and warm, natural smooth treble. I'd describe the sound as being like 'vinyl' compared the 'digital' sound that I've become accustomed to. Also I've had no need to add or take away anything with the tone controls. Which is nice bigsmile_face.gif  

post #7317 of 13452

Well, this is awkward. Speaking of old Pioneers, I had my SX-1980 at about half volume last week and it was kicking. It literally raised the roof. Then dropped about a 4' by 6' section of the ceiling. Haha.

About an hour later, I got a puff of smoke out of it. So it's in the shop. I think I torched an output transistor, but I'll keep you all updated.

post #7318 of 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixG View Post

Well, this is awkward. Speaking of old Pioneers, I had my SX-1980 at about half volume last week and it was kicking. It literally raised the roof. Then dropped about a 4' by 6' section of the ceiling. Haha.

About an hour later, I got a puff of smoke out of it. So it's in the shop. I think I torched an output transistor, but I'll keep you all updated.

eek.gif These things are dangerous I tell ya! 

post #7319 of 13452
Wow, PhoenixG, that is a bummer. Lets hope it wasn't an output transistor, as the 1980's output devices are not made anymore and there are no direct replacements.

However, I bet that wasn't it. Unless you have previously had your 1980's power supply board rebuilt, I bet that's where the issue lies. The 1980's ALL need a complete rebuilt of the power supply board by someone who knows what they are doing and can actually UPGRADE certain components.
post #7320 of 13452

Can someone give me some opinion about this sansui au-d9  I'm interested in trying out some vintage for a change but have no clue where to start 

it will pair with th900 and 650 

thanks

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/classifieds/item/776-sansui-au-d9/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners