Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 456

post #6826 of 13422

What a great find!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post

Found this guy in a thrift store yesterday. The lights and everything is working GREAT and is in perfect shape not even a scratch. I also have an HK 430 and I am blown away by this Kenwood KR-7400. this thing powers my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm unlike anything I have ever experienced. It's hooked up to my Nuforce UDH-100 and it's just amazing just amazing. listening to Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb from PULSE vinyl 24-Bit 192Khz smily_headphones1.gif

 


 

post #6827 of 13422

thank you. i have two choise :

1)  pioneer ct-f500 or similar one:

pioneer_ct-f500_cassette_deck.jpg

 

2) Denon lecteur cassette  DRR-F100

(its size is half of pioneer)

eldjHHDUlUeqcwPXR4CxnQ_2.jpg

 

 

which of them are best for my receiver(sansui 331) to be dac?


Edited by 99-1 - 3/31/13 at 7:18am
post #6828 of 13422

I don't follow you very well.  A DAC is a digital to audio converter.  Only the CD player you listed has one.  The tape player is full analog.  Can you rephrase your question? 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-1 View Post

thank you. i have two choise :

1)  pioneer ct-f500

pioneer_ct-f500_cassette_deck.jpg

 

2) Denon lecteur cassette  DRR-F100

(its size is half of pioneer)

eldjHHDUlUeqcwPXR4CxnQ_2.jpg

 

 

which of them are best for my receiver(sansui 331) to be dac?

post #6829 of 13422
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post

Found this guy in a thrift store yesterday. The lights and everything is working GREAT and is in perfect shape not even a scratch. I also have an HK 430 and I am blown away by this Kenwood KR-7400. this thing powers my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm unlike anything I have ever experienced. It's hooked up to my Nuforce UDH-100 and it's just amazing just amazing. listening to Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb from PULSE vinyl 24-Bit 192Khz smily_headphones1.gif





 

Now that is a great find. The few things I've seen in thrift stores were also very beat up. To find something in that kind of condition in a thrift store is very, very rare. Congrats.
post #6830 of 13422

i have heard that for high quality, the input should be connect to the "dac" and then from the dac to the amp

ardgedee told that is possible to use the deck cassette(input-output) as a dac

question is which of the following cassette deck is better?

 

post #6831 of 13422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-1 View Post

i have heard that for high quality, the input should be connect to the "dac" and then from the dac to the amp

ardgedee told that is possible to use the deck cassette(input-output) as a dac

question is which of the following cassette deck is better?

 

 

Sorry, you aren't being very clear.

 

Tapes are analog - there is no DAC in the chain.

 

I have a TOTL Denon cassette deck I bought new in 1985 and a large collection of recordings that I made in the 80's and early 90's. By todays standards, they sound horrible - I almost never listen to them. biggrin.gif

 

 

Unless you have a large collection of cassette recordings that you prize, don't buy a cassette deck...

post #6832 of 13422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-1 View Post

i have heard that for high quality, the input should be connect to the "dac" and then from the dac to the amp

ardgedee told that is possible to use the deck cassette(input-output) as a dac

question is which of the following cassette deck is better?

 

 

Sorry, no, I thought you were asking whether you could connect a DAC's output to your receiver's tape input.

 

Your cassette deck does not have a DAC in it.

post #6833 of 13422
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

 

Sorry, you aren't being very clear.

 

Tapes are analog - there is no DAC in the chain.

 

I have a TOTL Denon cassette deck I bought new in 1985 and a large collection of recordings that I made in the 80's and early 90's. By todays standards, they sound horrible - I almost never listen to them. biggrin.gif

 

 

Unless you have a large collection of cassette recordings that you prize, don't buy a cassette deck...

sorry my English is not so good
i dont want to record any cassette , just want to use deck as dac

 the schematic:  

http://cdn.head-fi.org/0/05/900x900px-LL-05d9508c_Untitled.jpeg

back of the deck:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/68/200x200px-ZC-68187440_P-back.jpeg

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

 

Sorry, no, I thought you were asking whether you could connect a DAC's output to your receiver's tape input.

 

Your cassette deck does not have a DAC in it.

thank you my Friend so the project is cancel


Edited by 99-1 - 3/31/13 at 10:53am
post #6834 of 13422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-1 View Post

back of the deck:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/68/200x200px-ZC-68187440_P-back.jpeg

 

That is a DIN 5/180°. It is an analog connector that handles both input and output. You would use either that or the RCA connectors to its right to connect the tape deck to your receiver; they serve the same purpose. You can read about it here.

post #6835 of 13422

Right - cassette decks do not have digital inputs.  Nor do vintage receivers. You can connect an iPad via the headphone out directly to an AUX or TAPE input of a vintage receiver, or you can use something like the Pure i20 to connect an iPad to a DAC and then to the receiver.

post #6836 of 13422

We hashed it out over PM a little; I prescribed getting an LOD -> RCA adaptor cable, which allows him to use the iPad's line out. This provides a low-threshold way of getting decent sound out of the device. If he has a new iPad with Lightning connector, it'll still work -- he'll just need a Lightning -> 30 pin adaptor. Systems that rely on digital out from the Lightning port are still thin on the ground.

post #6837 of 13422

Does anyone know if Pure will be releasing a new or updated dock that can extract digital from Lightning without the use of an adapter?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

We hashed it out over PM a little; I prescribed getting an LOD -> RCA adaptor cable, which allows him to use the iPad's line out. This provides a low-threshold way of getting decent sound out of the device. If he has a new iPad with Lightning connector, it'll still work -- he'll just need a Lightning -> 30 pin adaptor. Systems that rely on digital out from the Lightning port are still thin on the ground.

post #6838 of 13422
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post


Now that is a great find. The few things I've seen in thrift stores were also very beat up. To find something in that kind of condition in a thrift store is very, very rare. Congrats.

IKR!? thanks :) I really like it. my Harman Kardon 430 has a bad hiss on the phono stage and a somewhat less hiss on the rest (it needs to be fixed), but this Kenwood is completely normal and sounds just as good! I really only needed to clean the knobs and spray some stuff with deoxit and that was it. I am looking for an HK 730 and a Quad receiver. 

post #6839 of 13422

i have used this cable up to now

 

 

 

 

but that mentioned by ardgedee  seems to have a better sound.

post #6840 of 13422
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post


Now that is a great find. The few things I've seen in thrift stores were also very beat up. To find something in that kind of condition in a thrift store is very, very rare. Congrats.

 

I have had only one experience with Kenwood gear, and it has been glorious.  A few years back I bought a Kenwood KT-7550 (euro version of 7500) off of EBAY and proceeded to do all the modifications (and then some) recommended at the fmtunerinfo site for this unit.  It sounds so good, that it is pretty much all I listen to.  IMHO it easily beats my NAD M55 CD for detail, clarity, transparency and depth/width of sound stage.  Don't get me wrong, the M55 is no slouch - it sounds pretty darn good - but I doubt many components would hold up to this comparison.  I would encourage any of you who enjoy FM like I do to consider a project like this - you won't regret it!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners