can anyone tell me if the Marantz 4430 is better than the 2270? I am a bit confused regarding quadradial. I will be using it with bookshelf speakers, phono, hd650. thanks
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 12/30/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Overview I purchased these when they first came out during Black Friday in 2016, when they were on sale for $100 CAD. Until these I had mostly spent all of my money on IEMs since they're a lot...
INTRODUCTION Pioneer really surprised me with the new release of the DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I've recently tried out seven headphones that are considered high end and...
The nice thing about being last on the tour is that I have the benefit of completely broken in equipment. The new smell and feel is gone. Gone through many miles and air flights, and USPS trucks...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 433post #6481 of 169912/1/13 at 12:05pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6482 of 169912/1/13 at 12:42pmpost #6483 of 169912/1/13 at 12:48pm
Thank you sir. As always, you're the best.
edit: Lost out on the 2270. Decided to go lower budget and went with a 2226b as my first vintage receiver.
Edited by caracara08 - 2/1/13 at 3:03pmpost #6484 of 169912/1/13 at 5:19pmpost #6485 of 169912/1/13 at 7:42pmpost #6486 of 169912/1/13 at 11:59pmpost #6487 of 169912/2/13 at 1:57ampost #6488 of 169912/2/13 at 2:45ampost #6489 of 169912/2/13 at 7:14am
My personal modus operandi is to either buy it serviced/restored, or to have that done after buying, if it ends up being something I want to keep. Almost all the vintage gear I currently own has been cleaned/lubed/adjusted at a bare minimum, but most of it has been completely restored including a complete "recap" (replacement of all electrolytic capacitors with new, up to spec, and better ones).post #6490 of 169912/2/13 at 7:21ampost #6491 of 169912/2/13 at 7:32amQuote:
Of my two tubed integrateds, both were serviced by the same guy. He sold me one of them (well, the charitable org he volunteered for sold it; he tuned it up on their behalf before the sale). The other one I purchased elsewhere and brought to him for service before I turned it on.
Of my solid state receivers, they all arrived in working order, aside from the usual dusty pots and switches. I strongly suspect they will benefit from recapping (at least) and tuneup, but I'm taking my time with that, since they sound fine enough now. The oldest has the most accessible boards and everything is clearly labeled, so I might do that myself once I feel confident enough with my soldering skills. The other, higher-powered ones I'm going to leave to an expert once I find one locally.post #6492 of 169912/2/13 at 7:42am
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).post #6493 of 169912/2/13 at 7:42am
I replace all the electrolytic capacitors in my 1950-1960s vintage tube stuff, no exceptions. This has not been done completely for all the 1970s vintage solid state stuff I own, but I wish it had been for long term reliability.
Just replaced the multi-cap can in a Fisher KM-60 tuner this morning. It was the only capacitor the previous owner didn't replace.post #6494 of 169912/2/13 at 7:45ampost #6495 of 169912/2/13 at 7:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Rossliew
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).
No matter how good-looking the equipment is, if it's old you should have some budget set aside to get them serviced (or time and parts, if you're doing it yourself). Parts like capacitors will decay with age and need replacement after a couple decades, regardless of how well-kept the receiver is. Odds are pretty good that if the receiver is going cheap, nothing inside it has been replaced recently.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Music Game IX 9 seconds ago
- › They might be Kings: Focal Utopia, Sony MDR-Z1R, HiFiMan HE1000 V2... 28 seconds ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 44 seconds ago
- › Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › The earphone game just got a lot more SIRIUS. The new five driver... 3 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 4 minutes ago
- › Classical music discussion, what do you like? 5 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 5 minutes ago
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear