can anyone tell me if the Marantz 4430 is better than the 2270? I am a bit confused regarding quadradial. I will be using it with bookshelf speakers, phono, hd650. thanks
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 9/19/11 at 10:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 3/31/11 at 8:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideEdited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
The VSD1 is the latest in a rather long line of budget in ear monitors including the VC02, GR99, GR02 and others that promises high quality sound for around $50 or so. While I haven’t had...
I tried a few Grado's —didn't like the Grado house sound—, a few Senn's —HD650 left a good impression—, a few lower-end AT's —I thought the AD700 were impressive for the price— and after reading...
In my recent quest for a new set of cans, I took a slight detour into the land of flashy prosumer headphones, in the form of the HK CL. The only reason I tried a pair was the price: half off,...
The Creative Aurvana Live! solved a major problem for me—how to listen to good audio while walking the dog at night. I live near a commercial and bar district in Center City, Philadelphia and I'm...
Okay..well this is my first review..if you may call it so..hence any,,amatuerish mistakes be forgiven..here we go.. So i saved some money(i'm always short of it) for the Vsonic gr02 be..after...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 433post #6481 of 76862/1/13 at 12:05pmpost #6482 of 76862/1/13 at 12:42pmpost #6483 of 76862/1/13 at 12:48pm
Thank you sir. As always, you're the best.
edit: Lost out on the 2270. Decided to go lower budget and went with a 2226b as my first vintage receiver.
Edited by caracara08 - 2/1/13 at 3:03pmpost #6484 of 76862/1/13 at 5:19pmpost #6485 of 76862/1/13 at 7:42pmpost #6486 of 76862/1/13 at 11:59pmpost #6487 of 76862/2/13 at 1:57ampost #6488 of 76862/2/13 at 2:45ampost #6489 of 76862/2/13 at 7:14am
My personal modus operandi is to either buy it serviced/restored, or to have that done after buying, if it ends up being something I want to keep. Almost all the vintage gear I currently own has been cleaned/lubed/adjusted at a bare minimum, but most of it has been completely restored including a complete "recap" (replacement of all electrolytic capacitors with new, up to spec, and better ones).post #6490 of 76862/2/13 at 7:21ampost #6491 of 76862/2/13 at 7:32amQuote:
Of my two tubed integrateds, both were serviced by the same guy. He sold me one of them (well, the charitable org he volunteered for sold it; he tuned it up on their behalf before the sale). The other one I purchased elsewhere and brought to him for service before I turned it on.
Of my solid state receivers, they all arrived in working order, aside from the usual dusty pots and switches. I strongly suspect they will benefit from recapping (at least) and tuneup, but I'm taking my time with that, since they sound fine enough now. The oldest has the most accessible boards and everything is clearly labeled, so I might do that myself once I feel confident enough with my soldering skills. The other, higher-powered ones I'm going to leave to an expert once I find one locally.post #6492 of 76862/2/13 at 7:42am
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).post #6493 of 76862/2/13 at 7:42am
I replace all the electrolytic capacitors in my 1950-1960s vintage tube stuff, no exceptions. This has not been done completely for all the 1970s vintage solid state stuff I own, but I wish it had been for long term reliability.
Just replaced the multi-cap can in a Fisher KM-60 tuner this morning. It was the only capacitor the previous owner didn't replace.post #6494 of 76862/2/13 at 7:45ampost #6495 of 76862/2/13 at 7:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Rossliew
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).
No matter how good-looking the equipment is, if it's old you should have some budget set aside to get them serviced (or time and parts, if you're doing it yourself). Parts like capacitors will decay with age and need replacement after a couple decades, regardless of how well-kept the receiver is. Odds are pretty good that if the receiver is going cheap, nothing inside it has been replaced recently.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 12 seconds ago
- › Recommended audio upgrade for gaming computer? 30 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 47 seconds ago
- › Help! Where can I audition sennheiser HD700 or RS1i? 56 seconds ago
- › Heir Audio - The Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Basshead Club 1 minute ago
- › Open-back Recommendations for Home Use? 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio JH-13 PRO appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD280 Pro jack mod 2 minutes ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E... 3 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD1 by TheGame21x
- › Audio Technica W5000 by the wizard of oz
- › Harmon Kardon Classic On-Ear Headphones by imagic
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by imagic
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by Aakash
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by iern
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by jensy
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma USB Gaming Headset by imagic
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by David Chavez
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe