can anyone tell me if the Marantz 4430 is better than the 2270? I am a bit confused regarding quadradial. I will be using it with bookshelf speakers, phono, hd650. thanks
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I was offered to review these for Brainwavz and I agreed. I am not affiliated with the company, and have no bias towards or against them. This review will be my unbiased opinion on...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
Table of Contents Introduction Features and Ergonomics Sound Quality With IEMS With full-size headphones Comparisons to other audio gear For whom is this player good...
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
Brainwavz needs no introduction. They have been in the IEM market long enough that they have made a name for themselves, especially in the bang-for-bucks section. The S5 has been in the market for...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 433post #6481 of 149162/1/13 at 12:05pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6482 of 149162/1/13 at 12:42pmpost #6483 of 149162/1/13 at 12:48pm
Thank you sir. As always, you're the best.
edit: Lost out on the 2270. Decided to go lower budget and went with a 2226b as my first vintage receiver.
Edited by caracara08 - 2/1/13 at 3:03pmpost #6484 of 149162/1/13 at 5:19pmpost #6485 of 149162/1/13 at 7:42pmpost #6486 of 149162/1/13 at 11:59pmpost #6487 of 149162/2/13 at 1:57ampost #6488 of 149162/2/13 at 2:45ampost #6489 of 149162/2/13 at 7:14am
My personal modus operandi is to either buy it serviced/restored, or to have that done after buying, if it ends up being something I want to keep. Almost all the vintage gear I currently own has been cleaned/lubed/adjusted at a bare minimum, but most of it has been completely restored including a complete "recap" (replacement of all electrolytic capacitors with new, up to spec, and better ones).post #6490 of 149162/2/13 at 7:21ampost #6491 of 149162/2/13 at 7:32amQuote:
Of my two tubed integrateds, both were serviced by the same guy. He sold me one of them (well, the charitable org he volunteered for sold it; he tuned it up on their behalf before the sale). The other one I purchased elsewhere and brought to him for service before I turned it on.
Of my solid state receivers, they all arrived in working order, aside from the usual dusty pots and switches. I strongly suspect they will benefit from recapping (at least) and tuneup, but I'm taking my time with that, since they sound fine enough now. The oldest has the most accessible boards and everything is clearly labeled, so I might do that myself once I feel confident enough with my soldering skills. The other, higher-powered ones I'm going to leave to an expert once I find one locally.post #6492 of 149162/2/13 at 7:42am
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).post #6493 of 149162/2/13 at 7:42am
I replace all the electrolytic capacitors in my 1950-1960s vintage tube stuff, no exceptions. This has not been done completely for all the 1970s vintage solid state stuff I own, but I wish it had been for long term reliability.
Just replaced the multi-cap can in a Fisher KM-60 tuner this morning. It was the only capacitor the previous owner didn't replace.post #6494 of 149162/2/13 at 7:45ampost #6495 of 149162/2/13 at 7:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Rossliew
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).
No matter how good-looking the equipment is, if it's old you should have some budget set aside to get them serviced (or time and parts, if you're doing it yourself). Parts like capacitors will decay with age and need replacement after a couple decades, regardless of how well-kept the receiver is. Odds are pretty good that if the receiver is going cheap, nothing inside it has been replaced recently.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Astell&Kern AK380 3 minutes ago
- › Cayin C5DAC USB DAC Headphone Amplifier World Tour --Reviewers Wanted. 4 minutes ago
- › Best format for ripping CD's 4 minutes ago
- › Is there really such a thing as a non - colored headphone ( are the... 7 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 8 minutes ago
- › Cayin N5 DAP (Release Imminent) - Product Information and... 10 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 12 minutes ago
- › FiiO EX1 world tour--open for application now! 14 minutes ago
- › [Review] Encore Rockmaster IE (In-Ear) - well rounded $30 budget... 15 minutes ago
- › Replacement Earpad recommendations? 15 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Jive by jasonb
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2