can anyone tell me if the Marantz 4430 is better than the 2270? I am a bit confused regarding quadradial. I will be using it with bookshelf speakers, phono, hd650. thanks
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Videos only at the moment. I'll do a write-up later. Apologies if you were hoping for something to read. Unboxing and design details: More details about the cables, sound and possible...
Introduction – Read Heath Audio (or RHA for short) are soon to release their latest and greatest earphone, the T10i. Much like the rest of RHA’s products, the T10i’s were designed to offer premium...
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 433post #6481 of 135932/1/13 at 12:05pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6482 of 135932/1/13 at 12:42pmpost #6483 of 135932/1/13 at 12:48pm
Thank you sir. As always, you're the best.
edit: Lost out on the 2270. Decided to go lower budget and went with a 2226b as my first vintage receiver.
Edited by caracara08 - 2/1/13 at 3:03pmpost #6484 of 135932/1/13 at 5:19pmpost #6485 of 135932/1/13 at 7:42pmpost #6486 of 135932/1/13 at 11:59pmpost #6487 of 135932/2/13 at 1:57ampost #6488 of 135932/2/13 at 2:45ampost #6489 of 135932/2/13 at 7:14am
My personal modus operandi is to either buy it serviced/restored, or to have that done after buying, if it ends up being something I want to keep. Almost all the vintage gear I currently own has been cleaned/lubed/adjusted at a bare minimum, but most of it has been completely restored including a complete "recap" (replacement of all electrolytic capacitors with new, up to spec, and better ones).post #6490 of 135932/2/13 at 7:21ampost #6491 of 135932/2/13 at 7:32amQuote:
Of my two tubed integrateds, both were serviced by the same guy. He sold me one of them (well, the charitable org he volunteered for sold it; he tuned it up on their behalf before the sale). The other one I purchased elsewhere and brought to him for service before I turned it on.
Of my solid state receivers, they all arrived in working order, aside from the usual dusty pots and switches. I strongly suspect they will benefit from recapping (at least) and tuneup, but I'm taking my time with that, since they sound fine enough now. The oldest has the most accessible boards and everything is clearly labeled, so I might do that myself once I feel confident enough with my soldering skills. The other, higher-powered ones I'm going to leave to an expert once I find one locally.post #6492 of 135932/2/13 at 7:42am
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).post #6493 of 135932/2/13 at 7:42am
I replace all the electrolytic capacitors in my 1950-1960s vintage tube stuff, no exceptions. This has not been done completely for all the 1970s vintage solid state stuff I own, but I wish it had been for long term reliability.
Just replaced the multi-cap can in a Fisher KM-60 tuner this morning. It was the only capacitor the previous owner didn't replace.post #6494 of 135932/2/13 at 7:45ampost #6495 of 135932/2/13 at 7:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Rossliew
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).
No matter how good-looking the equipment is, if it's old you should have some budget set aside to get them serviced (or time and parts, if you're doing it yourself). Parts like capacitors will decay with age and need replacement after a couple decades, regardless of how well-kept the receiver is. Odds are pretty good that if the receiver is going cheap, nothing inside it has been replaced recently.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Which earphones to choose? 59 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › SennGrado Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW FW. . link 1st page. . 3 minutes ago
- › Any good noise-isolating earbuds under $50? 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014:... 6 minutes ago
- › TTPOD T1-E Impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 7 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 7 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)