can anyone tell me if the Marantz 4430 is better than the 2270? I am a bit confused regarding quadradial. I will be using it with bookshelf speakers, phono, hd650. thanks
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I still have yet to give anything 5 stars. The SR-202, for me, is a solid option for alternatives to the HD700, if you can find them without breaking the bank. I will start with the things I...
Fidue A65 Thanks to tony from hifiheadphones for letting me be part of the UK tour. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Drivers: Custom 8mm dynamic driver with Titanium...
Background When was the last time you used a pair of earbuds? Perhaps you use your Apple Earpods at work to remain inconspicuous, or maybe you are one of the many who have purchased the VE...
About Me: I'm just your average guy making his way through college with a passing interest in audio fidelity. I'm NOT an audiophile, but I've got a little experience ranging from lower-end...
Preamble:Pai Audio (http://www.paiaudio.com/indexEn.asp) is a relatively new audio company and based in Shenzhen, China. Established in 2014, they have specialised in manufacturing in-ears....
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 433post #6481 of 162682/1/13 at 12:05pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6482 of 162682/1/13 at 12:42pmpost #6483 of 162682/1/13 at 12:48pm
Thank you sir. As always, you're the best.
edit: Lost out on the 2270. Decided to go lower budget and went with a 2226b as my first vintage receiver.
Edited by caracara08 - 2/1/13 at 3:03pmpost #6484 of 162682/1/13 at 5:19pmpost #6485 of 162682/1/13 at 7:42pmpost #6486 of 162682/1/13 at 11:59pmpost #6487 of 162682/2/13 at 1:57ampost #6488 of 162682/2/13 at 2:45ampost #6489 of 162682/2/13 at 7:14am
My personal modus operandi is to either buy it serviced/restored, or to have that done after buying, if it ends up being something I want to keep. Almost all the vintage gear I currently own has been cleaned/lubed/adjusted at a bare minimum, but most of it has been completely restored including a complete "recap" (replacement of all electrolytic capacitors with new, up to spec, and better ones).post #6490 of 162682/2/13 at 7:21ampost #6491 of 162682/2/13 at 7:32amQuote:
Of my two tubed integrateds, both were serviced by the same guy. He sold me one of them (well, the charitable org he volunteered for sold it; he tuned it up on their behalf before the sale). The other one I purchased elsewhere and brought to him for service before I turned it on.
Of my solid state receivers, they all arrived in working order, aside from the usual dusty pots and switches. I strongly suspect they will benefit from recapping (at least) and tuneup, but I'm taking my time with that, since they sound fine enough now. The oldest has the most accessible boards and everything is clearly labeled, so I might do that myself once I feel confident enough with my soldering skills. The other, higher-powered ones I'm going to leave to an expert once I find one locally.post #6492 of 162682/2/13 at 7:42am
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).post #6493 of 162682/2/13 at 7:42am
I replace all the electrolytic capacitors in my 1950-1960s vintage tube stuff, no exceptions. This has not been done completely for all the 1970s vintage solid state stuff I own, but I wish it had been for long term reliability.
Just replaced the multi-cap can in a Fisher KM-60 tuner this morning. It was the only capacitor the previous owner didn't replace.post #6494 of 162682/2/13 at 7:45ampost #6495 of 162682/2/13 at 7:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Rossliew
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).
No matter how good-looking the equipment is, if it's old you should have some budget set aside to get them serviced (or time and parts, if you're doing it yourself). Parts like capacitors will decay with age and need replacement after a couple decades, regardless of how well-kept the receiver is. Odds are pretty good that if the receiver is going cheap, nothing inside it has been replaced recently.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › How to eliminate stuttering in audio players? 3 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › audio-technica ATH-AD1000X versus ATH-AD900X 5 minutes ago
- › The decline of JNCOs 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Aornic
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Echobox Audio Finder X1 by Hisoundfi
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by Hisoundfi
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...