- 99 Posts. Joined 2/2004
- Location: Next to a Secret Government Facility with Aliens, VX Nerve...
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 427post #6391 of 160721/5/13 at 9:46amAll those switches, buttons and knobs on the1980 would keep me busy for hours seeing what each did. . All three Pioneers look great. I have the itch to try to find a spare 1250 or 1280. But I sold my Lyr this week and I think I will use those extra funds to get a Bifrost.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6392 of 160721/5/13 at 10:35amQuote:
Those are great! That 1980 must be a beast in person.post #6393 of 160721/5/13 at 12:03pmUnless you see one in person, it's hard to fully appreciate just how big, and heavy, the SX-1980 really is. The massive toroidal transformer and four 100v 22,000 mfd main filter caps would stand up to anything Krell ever did.post #6394 of 160721/5/13 at 3:19pm
Thought we were receiving an invite to a special event for a hot minute!post #6395 of 160721/5/13 at 3:31pmQuote:
And those heat sinks too.post #6396 of 160721/9/13 at 9:35ampost #6397 of 160721/9/13 at 7:25pmpost #6398 of 160721/10/13 at 12:15pm
Oh damn it, I haven't been in this thread for a while. Now I came in and saw Skylabs and others photos of the Pioneer 70s beauties :(
2013 is the year when I will buy one of those! That is a promise.post #6399 of 160721/10/13 at 10:23pmBulbs
I need to replace a couple of bulbs on my sx-980. I see dwojo69's name mentioned a lot on AK and I sent him quick email.
Does anyone have suggestions/tips or thoughts on replacing these - LEDs vs Bulbs etc?
Cheerspost #6400 of 160721/11/13 at 1:01ampost #6401 of 160721/11/13 at 7:36am
What bulbs need replacing? The wedge lamps that generally illuminate the dial are easy to replace and LEDs probably would not work well. The function indicator lamps are much harder to replace, but those definitely can be replaced with LEDs, and I think that's a good idea. I had that done in the 1280 I had restored (I did not do the work myself though, and not sure what LEDs the restorer used - and I have since sold that 1280).post #6402 of 160721/11/13 at 8:32amI noticed the dial looked darker than usual so I opened it up and saw two of the three dial lamps were unlit. The line indicators are all fine. I pulled one of the lamp indicators and sent an email to Dave asking about the 8V wedge bulbs and almost immediately he responded with the ones I need (long life 8v/250ma) - very helpful and not at all expensive.
I might consider eventually replacing the function indicator lamps with LEDs at some point. They all work, but seem a little dim (much like their current owner), however that may just be a function of the thickness of the coloured plastic. I don't want to chance making a mess of anything though. When I install the new bulbs I'll have a poke around to see how accessible the indicators are on the 980.
Thanks for the help and input.post #6403 of 160721/11/13 at 4:15pmpost #6404 of 160721/11/13 at 5:00pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 28 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 1 minute ago
- › FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made... 1 minute ago
- › Uncompressed Lossless (WAV) vs Compressed (FLAC / ALAC) - O/T... 3 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM BassHEAD club) 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 5 minutes ago
- › LG V10 Smartphone vs Onkyo DP-X1 Audio Quality 5 minutes ago
- › 2016 St. Louis Area Spring Meet - April 30, 2016 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo issue solutions thread. 6 minutes ago
- › Philips SHP9500 by Mosauwer
- › MEE Audio RX18 Comfort-Fit In-Ear Headphones with Enhanced Bass... by peter123
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Aornic
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Dobrescu George
- › Yamaha EPH-M100 High-Performance Earphones by Nymphonomaniac
- › PMV A-01 HYBIRD IEM by peter123
- › Cayin N5 DSD Lossless Music Player by H20Fidelity
- › Campfire Audio Orion by piksnz
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by Asr
- › 1MORE EO323 Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by leesure
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse