- 96 Posts. Joined 2/2004
- Location: Next to a Secret Government Facility with Aliens, VX Nerve...
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 3/31/11 at 8:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I said DON'T TALK !!
i never usually write reviews, but when i do, its usually with underrated earphones/headphones, because i think they do deserve some justice. just a background, i own headphones like brainwavz,...
Rather than go into the esoteric aspects of the sound signature (not really sure if all the nomenclature actually means the same thing to everyone) I'm going to approach this review from a little...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 427post #6391 of 131251/5/13 at 9:46amAll those switches, buttons and knobs on the1980 would keep me busy for hours seeing what each did. . All three Pioneers look great. I have the itch to try to find a spare 1250 or 1280. But I sold my Lyr this week and I think I will use those extra funds to get a Bifrost.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6392 of 131251/5/13 at 10:35amQuote:
Those are great! That 1980 must be a beast in person.post #6393 of 131251/5/13 at 12:03pmUnless you see one in person, it's hard to fully appreciate just how big, and heavy, the SX-1980 really is. The massive toroidal transformer and four 100v 22,000 mfd main filter caps would stand up to anything Krell ever did.post #6394 of 131251/5/13 at 3:19pm
Thought we were receiving an invite to a special event for a hot minute!post #6395 of 131251/5/13 at 3:31pmQuote:
And those heat sinks too.post #6396 of 131251/9/13 at 9:35ampost #6397 of 131251/9/13 at 7:25pmpost #6398 of 131251/10/13 at 12:15pm
Oh damn it, I haven't been in this thread for a while. Now I came in and saw Skylabs and others photos of the Pioneer 70s beauties :(
2013 is the year when I will buy one of those! That is a promise.post #6399 of 131251/10/13 at 10:23pmBulbs
I need to replace a couple of bulbs on my sx-980. I see dwojo69's name mentioned a lot on AK and I sent him quick email.
Does anyone have suggestions/tips or thoughts on replacing these - LEDs vs Bulbs etc?
Cheerspost #6400 of 131251/11/13 at 1:01ampost #6401 of 131251/11/13 at 7:36am
What bulbs need replacing? The wedge lamps that generally illuminate the dial are easy to replace and LEDs probably would not work well. The function indicator lamps are much harder to replace, but those definitely can be replaced with LEDs, and I think that's a good idea. I had that done in the 1280 I had restored (I did not do the work myself though, and not sure what LEDs the restorer used - and I have since sold that 1280).post #6402 of 131251/11/13 at 8:32amI noticed the dial looked darker than usual so I opened it up and saw two of the three dial lamps were unlit. The line indicators are all fine. I pulled one of the lamp indicators and sent an email to Dave asking about the 8V wedge bulbs and almost immediately he responded with the ones I need (long life 8v/250ma) - very helpful and not at all expensive.
I might consider eventually replacing the function indicator lamps with LEDs at some point. They all work, but seem a little dim (much like their current owner), however that may just be a function of the thickness of the coloured plastic. I don't want to chance making a mess of anything though. When I install the new bulbs I'll have a poke around to see how accessible the indicators are on the 980.
Thanks for the help and input.post #6403 of 131251/11/13 at 4:15pmpost #6404 of 131251/11/13 at 5:00pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 18 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 56 seconds ago
- › "Colouration" of a DAP's sound - How does it work? 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 2 minutes ago
- › Lyr Amp . . . excellent condition with a set of new tubes 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 6 minutes ago
- › Westone Elite Series ES60 by Lorias
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by emanlee
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by shockdoc
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)