- 96 Posts. Joined 2/2004
- Location: Next to a Secret Government Facility with Aliens, VX Nerve...
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 427post #6391 of 135981/5/13 at 9:46amAll those switches, buttons and knobs on the1980 would keep me busy for hours seeing what each did. . All three Pioneers look great. I have the itch to try to find a spare 1250 or 1280. But I sold my Lyr this week and I think I will use those extra funds to get a Bifrost.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6392 of 135981/5/13 at 10:35amQuote:
Those are great! That 1980 must be a beast in person.post #6393 of 135981/5/13 at 12:03pmUnless you see one in person, it's hard to fully appreciate just how big, and heavy, the SX-1980 really is. The massive toroidal transformer and four 100v 22,000 mfd main filter caps would stand up to anything Krell ever did.post #6394 of 135981/5/13 at 3:19pm
Thought we were receiving an invite to a special event for a hot minute!post #6395 of 135981/5/13 at 3:31pmQuote:
And those heat sinks too.post #6396 of 135981/9/13 at 9:35ampost #6397 of 135981/9/13 at 7:25pmpost #6398 of 135981/10/13 at 12:15pm
Oh damn it, I haven't been in this thread for a while. Now I came in and saw Skylabs and others photos of the Pioneer 70s beauties :(
2013 is the year when I will buy one of those! That is a promise.post #6399 of 135981/10/13 at 10:23pmBulbs
I need to replace a couple of bulbs on my sx-980. I see dwojo69's name mentioned a lot on AK and I sent him quick email.
Does anyone have suggestions/tips or thoughts on replacing these - LEDs vs Bulbs etc?
Cheerspost #6400 of 135981/11/13 at 1:01ampost #6401 of 135981/11/13 at 7:36am
What bulbs need replacing? The wedge lamps that generally illuminate the dial are easy to replace and LEDs probably would not work well. The function indicator lamps are much harder to replace, but those definitely can be replaced with LEDs, and I think that's a good idea. I had that done in the 1280 I had restored (I did not do the work myself though, and not sure what LEDs the restorer used - and I have since sold that 1280).post #6402 of 135981/11/13 at 8:32amI noticed the dial looked darker than usual so I opened it up and saw two of the three dial lamps were unlit. The line indicators are all fine. I pulled one of the lamp indicators and sent an email to Dave asking about the 8V wedge bulbs and almost immediately he responded with the ones I need (long life 8v/250ma) - very helpful and not at all expensive.
I might consider eventually replacing the function indicator lamps with LEDs at some point. They all work, but seem a little dim (much like their current owner), however that may just be a function of the thickness of the coloured plastic. I don't want to chance making a mess of anything though. When I install the new bulbs I'll have a poke around to see how accessible the indicators are on the 980.
Thanks for the help and input.post #6403 of 135981/11/13 at 4:15pmpost #6404 of 135981/11/13 at 5:00pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Band Name Game II 26 seconds ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 36 seconds ago
- › post your grado mods.... 1 minute ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II - review and impressions 1 minute ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Does plex stream lossless? 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014:... 2 minutes ago
- › HRT Music Streamer ll+ 3 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)