Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 419

post #6271 of 12382
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post


Not a stupid question at all. Most vintage receivers, yes, use the main speaker amplifier section to drive the headphones. The signal is passed through a circuit to pad it down to headphone-acceptable levels.
Congratulations on that thing. Looks great!

 

Thanks for the answer. That would explain why this thing sounds so darn good. I mean, it sounds REALLY good.

 

I'm listening to some Eric Clapton right now and can't get over how real his voice sounds, not to mention all of the "space" around him and the other instruments. Even though it was years ago and with different cans (HD600's and 650's), I never heard this music sound this good through a well run-in Cary Audio SLi-80 I had for a while on loan.

 

In short, I'm quite impressed!

 

 

Also, I'm curious is any of you have directly compared these old receivers to modern, higher dollar dedicated headphone amps. It would be interesting to see how these vintage receivers stack up against the new dedicated gear.


Edited by Chops - 12/7/12 at 6:33am
post #6272 of 12382

Well, with the weekend here, you can always start reading from the front. biggrin.gif

post #6273 of 12382
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Would you happen to know if the 1989 ADCOM GTP-400 uses the the main speaker amp in the  same way for the headphone jack? Because the main outs/headphone jack are always controlled at the same time with the volume controll, (at all times), I was wondering this same thing. Thank's.

The GTP-400 doesn't have a "main speaker amp" - it isn't a power amp, and doesn't have a power amp section. It's a preamp (well, a "tuner-preamp" to be exact, which differs from a receiver specifically in that there is no power amp section). So it is less clear what is driving the headphone out. Probably a separate section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chops View Post


I wonder how the Sansui G-7000 compares to something like the Schiit Asgard, which was an amp I was seriously considering, up until now.

I have never heard the Asgard, and while I have great respect for Schiit products, I HIGHLY doubt you would find the Asgard to be an improvement versus the headphone out of the Sansui. The headphone out of my big vintage receivers significantly outperforms every entry level headphone amp I have ever heard, and even some high end ones wink.gif
post #6274 of 12382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post



I have never heard the Asgard, and while I have great respect for Schiit products, I HIGHLY doubt you would find the Asgard to be an improvement versus the headphone out of the Sansui. The headphone out of my big vintage receivers significantly outperforms every entry level headphone amp I have ever heard, and even some high end ones wink.gif

 

Thanks Skylab.

 

That means I can save some money in the future then! LOL

 

Here's a nasty phone pic of the main rig...

 

post #6275 of 12382

Chops, you'd never know if Wally was just outside on the back porch, since you'd be inside groovin' without a care in the world. biggrin.gif It looks great!

post #6276 of 12382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chops View Post

Well I can safely say, even with the volume up at "30" on the dial, there's absolutely ZERO hiss, buzz, hum, etc, etc present. Something else I can safely say, the headphone out on the G-7000 has some serious balls!

 

I have all tone controls bypassed and am getting loads of tight, deep bass, open, natural midrange, and extended, smooth and detailed treble. The sound stage is definitely wider and deeper than either my FiiO E11 or modded tube amp. It was an extremely good idea to try out this Sansui receiver. It makes for a great headphone amp, not to mention it looks damn sexy all lit up at night with the power meters bouncing around.

 

One other thing I want to add... The way this receiver performs, it really makes the Mad Dogs sound even more like open cans!

 

I wonder how the Sansui G-7000 compares to something like the Schiit Asgard, which was an amp I was seriously considering, up until now.

 

And here comes what's probably a stupid question, but... What do these old receivers use as the power output stage for the headphone section? Is it using the main "speaker" output transistors?

 

My Pioneer receivers blow the doors off of my Schiit Lyr headphone amp no matter what tube-rolling I have done on the Lyr.  I can pretty much say your Sansui will shame an Asgard for driving headphones.  

post #6277 of 12382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post


The GTP-400 doesn't have a "main speaker amp" - it isn't a power amp, and doesn't have a power amp section. It's a preamp (well, a "tuner-preamp" to be exact, which differs from a receiver specifically in that there is no power amp section). So it is less clear what is driving the headphone out. Probably a separate section.
I have never heard the Asgard, and while I have great respect for Schiit products, I HIGHLY doubt you would find the Asgard to be an improvement versus the headphone out of the Sansui. The headphone out of my big vintage receivers significantly outperforms every entry level headphone amp I have ever heard, and even some high end ones wink.gif

Thank's, I know it is a pre-amp tuner, not a power amp, upon further research I found out it has a pre-amp going to the main out's and has a seperate amp for the headphone out, but the volume will control both at the same time. It's been so long that I've had this unit I had forgot, anyway I was just curious because I am very happy with the sound from coming out of it as compared to listening to my phones through my sony cdp-701es, wich by the way sounded good also, but not like the adcom. Thank you for the info I appreciate your feedback. Thank's again.

post #6278 of 12382

Finally I have taken delivery of my first vintage monster amp, the Pioneer SX-1280, bought specifically to drive my HE-6 cans. Even on first listen, i'm loving every minute of it biggrin.gif

 

Through the headphone jack, the HE-6 sounded full bodied with taut and deep bass, excellent dynamics and PRAT to make these cans suitable for both audiophile recordings and metal. Anyone who is into metal/hardcore should try these cans out with a vintage monster amp pronto. You will not regret it! 

 

Now, i need to experiment with driving the cans off the speaker tap and see if using it as a power amp paired with my DIY tube pre-amp will offer any noticeable improvements in sound...

 

Here's a pic for ya all smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

700

post #6279 of 12382
With an amp as powerful as the SX-1280 (which is a terrific piece!), I would not bother with the speaker taps. The headphone out has more than enough power for the HE-6, and of course it's driven off the same amp as drives the speakers...
post #6280 of 12382
The 6s need a kick in the pants and that hog is just the ticket. And you can run a two channel speaker rig with Maggies. LIfe is good. tongue.gif
post #6281 of 12382
I have an SX-1980 "problem". The problem is I like them TOO MUCH. I just bought a THIRD redface.gif I have for a while had two that are fully restored, which get used very regularly. I was offered on a local sale this one, not restored but absolutely stone mint inside and out, original box, manual, and even the service manual on microfiche!!! It needed to have the DC offset adjusted down from @300mv/channel, but it adjusted nicely to under 10mv each side. And wow is it a stunner!



So this is the "back-up"...man I'm obsessed.
post #6282 of 12382

Beautiful!

I keep telling myself my sx-1250 is "enough".

But you make me lust after these sx-1980's you tease me with.....

~BG

post #6283 of 12382

Wow! It looks great.  How does one man manage to find these rare SX-1980's?  You are like a magnet and they just seem to be drawn to you.  smile.gif

post #6284 of 12382
Thread Starter 
Very nice Skylab!! Oh, and I completely understand.biggrin.gif
post #6285 of 12382
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossliew View Post

Finally I have taken delivery of my first vintage monster amp, the Pioneer SX-1280, bought specifically to drive my HE-6 cans. Even on first listen, i'm loving every minute of it biggrin.gif

Through the headphone jack, the HE-6 sounded full bodied with taut and deep bass, excellent dynamics and PRAT to make these cans suitable for both audiophile recordings and metal. Anyone who is into metal/hardcore should try these cans out with a vintage monster amp pronto. You will not regret it! 

Now, i need to experiment with driving the cans off the speaker tap and see if using it as a power amp paired with my DIY tube pre-amp will offer any noticeable improvements in sound...

Here's a pic for ya all smily_headphones1.gif




Looks great. Congrats on a wonderful find.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners