Just snagged a recapped and serviced Pioneer SX-1280 :) Awaiting delivery and it shall be used to primarily power my HE-6..
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I want to shout out to Mark (Head-Fier d marc0) for working with Ken Ball from...
Here is my short review of the HOOKA headphone hanger. Thank you to Pandora from Brainwavz for providing me with the product. This very cool headphone hanger came in a nice, small sized...
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 415post #6211 of 1622611/26/12 at 8:05am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6212 of 1622611/26/12 at 9:33ampost #6213 of 1622611/27/12 at 5:48am
1980 Pioneer SX-D7000 Update:
Some of you may recall that when I bought my iron, the Fluoroscan meters did not work. So, after enjoying my price-adjusted purchase for some six odd months, I fired up the rig @ midnight for a promising overnight session.
With my amp sitting on the lowest shelf, 0.5" off the floor, I rarely look down when I lean over to hit "Power." First thing I do is make sure the big fat round volume know is turned to zero and then I hit it.
I stepped out the room for a hot minute. Upon my approach... well, I'll be John Brown! Both meters were fully illuminated. Ain't never seen 'em lit up before. 5.5 hours have now past and they're still lit. However, the power meters are intermittent.
Although, I never cleaned the internal switches and things, I suspect I might have a short. Because, when reviewing the selectors with the volume turned all the way down in AUX mode (DAC is connected here), I can hear music playing at low volume when I select either FM-AM-PHONO 2-PHONO 1. But no sound output with AUX with volume all the way down.
Somehow, there's a connection between the fluoroscan meters and these switches. Though I haven't fixed anything yet, I'm still excited this morning to finally have seen this bad boy in all its glory.
Edited by Silent One - 11/27/12 at 5:49ampost #6214 of 1622611/27/12 at 6:12ampost #6215 of 1622611/27/12 at 6:23amQuote:
Thanks. I'm hoping a good Betty Ford DeOx treatment will set it straight. Since I sit sideways a mere 12" from the rack, I rarely lean over to look down. Had I not left the room, a few more weeks might have passed before I noticed anything.post #6216 of 1622611/27/12 at 6:59ampost #6217 of 1622611/27/12 at 7:07ampost #6218 of 1622611/27/12 at 9:36amThread Starterpost #6219 of 1622611/27/12 at 9:44am
That's cool that your fluoroscan displays are now lighting up. She looks real pretty! I have a 10+ year old NAD A/V receiver that takes about 10 minutes for its fluoroscan display to light up after its powered on. Maybe I need to do some internal cleaning on it too?post #6220 of 1622611/27/12 at 12:02pm
Fluroscantastic! I wonder if there's high voltage on those connector pins. If so, it behooves to either eliminate the connectors and hard-wire the display to the pcb, or thoroughly clean the connectors with something like DeoxIT and follow up with a protecting liquid like DeoxIT Gold.
I enjoyed this message on the Caig website informing us customers that the site would be down, or downish, in the coming weeks:
During the weeks of December 3rd and 10th their maybe delays in shipments.
Thank you for your patience and inconvenience during this time.
UPDATE: I'm chagrined to learn that Pioneer's trademarked name for their famous display is not "Fluoroscan", as I'd always thought, but Fluroscan. Obviously this can cause confusion in a search, since a very large number of us have had it in our heads as "Fluoroscan".
Edited by wualta - 11/27/12 at 10:21pmpost #6221 of 1622611/27/12 at 2:43pm
After retiring this morning @ 0900 hours, I just woke up @ 1400 hours. Leaned over to hit "Power" - got more lights than displays at Holiday! Though, I do have a confession to make. Initially, when I took the case off for cleaning when I first brought it home, I discovered I had completely run out of cleaner. Looked down at all the dirt and simply resigned to putting the case back on. Wished I'd handled it the first time.post #6222 of 1622611/27/12 at 5:13pmpost #6223 of 1622611/27/12 at 6:27pmpost #6224 of 1622611/27/12 at 6:35pmQuote:
Turns out angry stares not only work on bad dogs, they work on bad VU meters. Who knew?post #6225 of 1622611/27/12 at 9:17pm
Speaking of VU meters: Their plastic faces can pick up static charges strong enough to pull the needle mid-scale. In this case, going in for the glower and sneakily exhaling some high-humidity breath is a magical cure. Impress your non-audio friends.
Silent One: Why not "air test" the amp-- ie, continue using it as normal-- and see how long it takes for the meters to fail again, and under what conditions. They might not fail. But if they do, you'll definitely want some contact cleaner close at hand. At least you know it's not very likely to be a problem in the display (which I believe is vacuum-fluorescent, or VF) itself. Here's a possible clue from the Antique Radios site:
"A very common failure of Fluroscan displays is for the connections going to the heater [ie, filament] to tear loose from the circuit board that the panel solders into. The reason for this is that the heater connections get very hot during use, and after many heat/cool cycles the solder gets brittle."
Edited by wualta - 11/27/12 at 10:05pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Vape-Fi 15 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › SE846 Filter mod 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO Factory Tour 2016 2 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun 4 minutes ago
- › Help with best Blu Ray Player / TV / Headphone setup for Movies 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 6 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...