Just snagged a recapped and serviced Pioneer SX-1280 :) Awaiting delivery and it shall be used to primarily power my HE-6..
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
At the time this review was written, the Edifier P220 was listed for sale on Amazon. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a quick and dirty look at the YHC S600, yet another outstanding hyper-budget earphone worthy of consideration. What the S600 brings to the...
I was able to get these from a friend who used their employee discount, so ignore the price paid. I would consider myself a rookie when it comes to headphones, but not sound quality. My...
Best looking closed headphone on the market that acts just like a open headphone but brings the advantages of a closed headphone such as detail and imaging... It is combining both worlds and packs...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 415post #6211 of 1652411/26/12 at 8:05am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6212 of 1652411/26/12 at 9:33ampost #6213 of 1652411/27/12 at 5:48am
1980 Pioneer SX-D7000 Update:
Some of you may recall that when I bought my iron, the Fluoroscan meters did not work. So, after enjoying my price-adjusted purchase for some six odd months, I fired up the rig @ midnight for a promising overnight session.
With my amp sitting on the lowest shelf, 0.5" off the floor, I rarely look down when I lean over to hit "Power." First thing I do is make sure the big fat round volume know is turned to zero and then I hit it.
I stepped out the room for a hot minute. Upon my approach... well, I'll be John Brown! Both meters were fully illuminated. Ain't never seen 'em lit up before. 5.5 hours have now past and they're still lit. However, the power meters are intermittent.
Although, I never cleaned the internal switches and things, I suspect I might have a short. Because, when reviewing the selectors with the volume turned all the way down in AUX mode (DAC is connected here), I can hear music playing at low volume when I select either FM-AM-PHONO 2-PHONO 1. But no sound output with AUX with volume all the way down.
Somehow, there's a connection between the fluoroscan meters and these switches. Though I haven't fixed anything yet, I'm still excited this morning to finally have seen this bad boy in all its glory.
Edited by Silent One - 11/27/12 at 5:49ampost #6214 of 1652411/27/12 at 6:12ampost #6215 of 1652411/27/12 at 6:23amQuote:
Thanks. I'm hoping a good Betty Ford DeOx treatment will set it straight. Since I sit sideways a mere 12" from the rack, I rarely lean over to look down. Had I not left the room, a few more weeks might have passed before I noticed anything.post #6216 of 1652411/27/12 at 6:59ampost #6217 of 1652411/27/12 at 7:07ampost #6218 of 1652411/27/12 at 9:36amThread Starterpost #6219 of 1652411/27/12 at 9:44am
That's cool that your fluoroscan displays are now lighting up. She looks real pretty! I have a 10+ year old NAD A/V receiver that takes about 10 minutes for its fluoroscan display to light up after its powered on. Maybe I need to do some internal cleaning on it too?post #6220 of 1652411/27/12 at 12:02pm
Fluroscantastic! I wonder if there's high voltage on those connector pins. If so, it behooves to either eliminate the connectors and hard-wire the display to the pcb, or thoroughly clean the connectors with something like DeoxIT and follow up with a protecting liquid like DeoxIT Gold.
I enjoyed this message on the Caig website informing us customers that the site would be down, or downish, in the coming weeks:
During the weeks of December 3rd and 10th their maybe delays in shipments.
Thank you for your patience and inconvenience during this time.
UPDATE: I'm chagrined to learn that Pioneer's trademarked name for their famous display is not "Fluoroscan", as I'd always thought, but Fluroscan. Obviously this can cause confusion in a search, since a very large number of us have had it in our heads as "Fluoroscan".
Edited by wualta - 11/27/12 at 10:21pmpost #6221 of 1652411/27/12 at 2:43pm
After retiring this morning @ 0900 hours, I just woke up @ 1400 hours. Leaned over to hit "Power" - got more lights than displays at Holiday! Though, I do have a confession to make. Initially, when I took the case off for cleaning when I first brought it home, I discovered I had completely run out of cleaner. Looked down at all the dirt and simply resigned to putting the case back on. Wished I'd handled it the first time.post #6222 of 1652411/27/12 at 5:13pmpost #6223 of 1652411/27/12 at 6:27pmpost #6224 of 1652411/27/12 at 6:35pmQuote:
Turns out angry stares not only work on bad dogs, they work on bad VU meters. Who knew?post #6225 of 1652411/27/12 at 9:17pm
Speaking of VU meters: Their plastic faces can pick up static charges strong enough to pull the needle mid-scale. In this case, going in for the glower and sneakily exhaling some high-humidity breath is a magical cure. Impress your non-audio friends.
Silent One: Why not "air test" the amp-- ie, continue using it as normal-- and see how long it takes for the meters to fail again, and under what conditions. They might not fail. But if they do, you'll definitely want some contact cleaner close at hand. At least you know it's not very likely to be a problem in the display (which I believe is vacuum-fluorescent, or VF) itself. Here's a possible clue from the Antique Radios site:
"A very common failure of Fluroscan displays is for the connections going to the heater [ie, filament] to tear loose from the circuit board that the panel solders into. The reason for this is that the heater connections get very hot during use, and after many heat/cool cycles the solder gets brittle."
Edited by wualta - 11/27/12 at 10:05pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › COMPARISON / REVIEW (Part Deux) : A tale of two Sennheisers –... 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Smyth Research Realiser A16 3 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 6 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread 9 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 9 minutes ago
- › USB Audio Recorder PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous... 9 minutes ago
- › Edifier P220 In-Ear Chrome Design Headphones With Microphone - Blue by Hisoundfi
- › EasGear Morul U5 Waterproof Wireless Earbuds by James Mash
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by Pastapipo
- › YHC S600 by B9Scrambler
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by dlo13
- › Fostex TH 900 by roxrite
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Shini44
- › Fischer Audio Omega Spark by crabdog
- › MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III by Lurk650
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by jjacq
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...