Just snagged a recapped and serviced Pioneer SX-1280 :) Awaiting delivery and it shall be used to primarily power my HE-6..
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 12/20/12 at 12:03pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 9/19/11 at 10:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 3/31/11 at 8:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideEdited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
Introduction First off, I’d like to thank the folks at Audio-Technica for the sample of the WS77 for review. Yes, I’ve been on something of a roll recently with Audio-Technica...
(caution: this is a long review (I know this because I just typed it out in Word and it spanned 7 pages!) I think this is a long awaited review of the 1Plus2s. I've had the stock cable for...
I have been looking for "THAT" amp, the one for me. I tried a WA6SE, and it had a problem with distorted bass. I have the Lyr, but looking to upgrade. The soloist is really the only other amp...
These are my first pair of cans and straight out of the package they look pretty amazing. When I first put them on I thoroughly enjoyed what i heard. Works well for bluesy songs and there is an...
Overview: The Beats Pro is the Beats' top-of-the-line model, with a lofty price tag of $400. However, its price, along with Beats' reputation with being a hated-on brand, hides the fact that...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 415post #6211 of 731911/26/12 at 8:05ampost #6212 of 731911/26/12 at 9:33ampost #6213 of 731911/27/12 at 5:48am
1980 Pioneer SX-D7000 Update:
Some of you may recall that when I bought my iron, the Fluoroscan meters did not work. So, after enjoying my price-adjusted purchase for some six odd months, I fired up the rig @ midnight for a promising overnight session.
With my amp sitting on the lowest shelf, 0.5" off the floor, I rarely look down when I lean over to hit "Power." First thing I do is make sure the big fat round volume know is turned to zero and then I hit it.
I stepped out the room for a hot minute. Upon my approach... well, I'll be John Brown! Both meters were fully illuminated. Ain't never seen 'em lit up before. 5.5 hours have now past and they're still lit. However, the power meters are intermittent.
Although, I never cleaned the internal switches and things, I suspect I might have a short. Because, when reviewing the selectors with the volume turned all the way down in AUX mode (DAC is connected here), I can hear music playing at low volume when I select either FM-AM-PHONO 2-PHONO 1. But no sound output with AUX with volume all the way down.
Somehow, there's a connection between the fluoroscan meters and these switches. Though I haven't fixed anything yet, I'm still excited this morning to finally have seen this bad boy in all its glory.
Edited by Silent One - 11/27/12 at 5:49ampost #6214 of 731911/27/12 at 6:12ampost #6215 of 731911/27/12 at 6:23amQuote:
Thanks. I'm hoping a good Betty Ford DeOx treatment will set it straight. Since I sit sideways a mere 12" from the rack, I rarely lean over to look down. Had I not left the room, a few more weeks might have passed before I noticed anything.post #6216 of 731911/27/12 at 6:59ampost #6217 of 731911/27/12 at 7:07ampost #6218 of 731911/27/12 at 9:36amThread Starterpost #6219 of 731911/27/12 at 9:44am
That's cool that your fluoroscan displays are now lighting up. She looks real pretty! I have a 10+ year old NAD A/V receiver that takes about 10 minutes for its fluoroscan display to light up after its powered on. Maybe I need to do some internal cleaning on it too?post #6220 of 731911/27/12 at 12:02pm
Fluroscantastic! I wonder if there's high voltage on those connector pins. If so, it behooves to either eliminate the connectors and hard-wire the display to the pcb, or thoroughly clean the connectors with something like DeoxIT and follow up with a protecting liquid like DeoxIT Gold.
I enjoyed this message on the Caig website informing us customers that the site would be down, or downish, in the coming weeks:
During the weeks of December 3rd and 10th their maybe delays in shipments.
Thank you for your patience and inconvenience during this time.
UPDATE: I'm chagrined to learn that Pioneer's trademarked name for their famous display is not "Fluoroscan", as I'd always thought, but Fluroscan. Obviously this can cause confusion in a search, since a very large number of us have had it in our heads as "Fluoroscan".
Edited by wualta - 11/27/12 at 10:21pmpost #6221 of 731911/27/12 at 2:43pm
After retiring this morning @ 0900 hours, I just woke up @ 1400 hours. Leaned over to hit "Power" - got more lights than displays at Holiday! Though, I do have a confession to make. Initially, when I took the case off for cleaning when I first brought it home, I discovered I had completely run out of cleaner. Looked down at all the dirt and simply resigned to putting the case back on. Wished I'd handled it the first time.post #6222 of 731911/27/12 at 5:13pmpost #6223 of 731911/27/12 at 6:27pmpost #6224 of 731911/27/12 at 6:35pmQuote:
Turns out angry stares not only work on bad dogs, they work on bad VU meters. Who knew?post #6225 of 731911/27/12 at 9:17pm
Speaking of VU meters: Their plastic faces can pick up static charges strong enough to pull the needle mid-scale. In this case, going in for the glower and sneakily exhaling some high-humidity breath is a magical cure. Impress your non-audio friends.
Silent One: Why not "air test" the amp-- ie, continue using it as normal-- and see how long it takes for the meters to fail again, and under what conditions. They might not fail. But if they do, you'll definitely want some contact cleaner close at hand. At least you know it's not very likely to be a problem in the display (which I believe is vacuum-fluorescent, or VF) itself. Here's a possible clue from the Antique Radios site:
"A very common failure of Fluroscan displays is for the connections going to the heater [ie, filament] to tear loose from the circuit board that the panel solders into. The reason for this is that the heater connections get very hot during use, and after many heat/cool cycles the solder gets brittle."
Edited by wualta - 11/27/12 at 10:05pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 23 seconds ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 45 seconds ago
- › I have stopped using headphones, switched to Speakers and Sub-woofer. 53 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 59 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment 2 minutes ago
- › philips fidelio x1 vs hifiman he-400 (stronger natural midrange?) 4 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 Review (caution: long read). 4 minutes ago
- › LA Head-Fiers: MAY 31-June 2 Headphonium Event @ THE Show Newport... 5 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by TheGame21x
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 by cravenz
- › Burson Audio Soloist Amp by DutchGFX
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by shdl83
- › Beats Pro (High Performance Professional Headphones From... by thatBeatsguy
- › Resonessence Labs Concero by planx
- › Philips in-Ear Headphones Crystal Sound SHE9620/28 (Rose Gold) by DozerCSX
- › Sony MDR-NC40 Noise Canceling Headphone (Black) by UmustBKidn
- › Sennheiser Momentum by iSennheiser
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe