It is said, that if you want to get good quality sleep, do not surf the web right before bedtime. I'm going to bed now and just made the mistake of taking one last look at vintage electronics on Craigslist. And saw a SX-1250. Now w-i-d-e awake.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 12/30/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I know a lot of people say a DAC is a DAC is a DAC, but I’m not one of them. A DAC’s chipset and its implementation, among other things, play a very real role in determining how it sounds....
I bought these headphones about year ago (I use them almost everyday), as an upgrade from my g430s when the cable finally wore out. In some cases (only some cases) I think the sound quality might...
Introduction Sennheiser HD650 is one of the (seemingly) consecrated headphones made by Sennheiser as an upgrade (update?) to their well received model, HD600. HD600 has been...
I finally took the plunge and got these. It's amazing how TOTL IEMS can sound so different. Bass: Tight and full. Tip dependent. With the triple flanges thought my head was going to blow off. I...
The original iDSD Micro stood out from the competition as an all-in-one replacement for the most discerning listeners' setups. The original iDSD Micro delivered - I had one, but as I started to not...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 402post #6016 of 1688610/18/12 at 4:57am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6017 of 1688610/18/12 at 8:59ampost #6018 of 1688610/18/12 at 9:14ampost #6019 of 1688610/18/12 at 9:21amQuote:Originally Posted by calipilot227
Picked up a Nad 7220PE at a thrift store today for $30. Plugged it in when I got home, but sadly there was no sound. It even smoked a little I was reading that the output transformers have a tendency to fail.
Is it worth fixing? I don't really need another receiver, already have a Pioneer SA-6500 II that I love (and it certainly looks cooler). If it's not incredibly difficult (and it's worth it), I'd like to fix it and pass it on to someone who can use it.
The NAD has output transformers? You sure about that? I'm not sure why an '80s SS amp would need output transformers. Regardless, the transformers are one of the few parts that tend to stay in good condition even after years of use. It's usually the capacitors or silicon (transistors/diodes) that start to go first.
Head over to HifiEngine and download the service manuals. I'd replace all the electrolytics in the power supply and amp board first thing. You'll probably want a multimeter to troubleshoot and double-check the circuit.post #6020 of 1688610/18/12 at 6:22pmpost #6021 of 1688610/18/12 at 7:35pmpost #6022 of 1688610/18/12 at 8:12pmQuote:
Congrats! You also look well positioned to entertain over the holidays...what's the address again?post #6023 of 1688610/18/12 at 8:13pmpost #6024 of 1688610/19/12 at 8:19pm
My Marantz 2285 has developed a whir in the left tape monitor channel. It's very slight, a buzz so to speak, like bacon sizzle, that's audible only during playback and completely black when nothing is being output. Buzz is most audible between tracks. Any ideas on what this can be? Oxidation? Failing capacitor? I suppose the unit has to be dissembled to get at the controls for a cleaning.post #6025 of 1688610/20/12 at 7:22amIf you switch the source select through its rotation cycle 10-12 times rapidly, does the problem lessen or go away? Try the same with the Tape Monitor tape/source buttons.post #6026 of 1688610/20/12 at 1:44pmpost #6027 of 1688610/20/12 at 6:59pm
Unfortunately rotating the source selector has not helped the problem. The noise does not go away or lessen to any audible degree. Neither is there a change with rotating the tape monitor controls. I find when I rotate the balance dial entirely to the left channel there is an distortion and cackling noise. I'll likely dissemble the unit tomorrow and spray down all the controls with deoxit. Worst case scenario it'll go to the shop for capacitor replacement. Any other ideas I'm certainly open to listen.post #6028 of 1688610/20/12 at 8:58pm
Does anyone here have a good recommendation for a more mid priced receiver (around 100 bucks average) for hifiman he400 and BIC DV64
tower speakers. I like neutral or slightly bright, and not warm and not cold. I've already ruled out all of marantz because they are simply too warm for my tastes.post #6029 of 1688610/20/12 at 9:36pmpost #6030 of 1688610/20/12 at 10:53pmQuote:
What do you say its key points are, treble clarity, Neutrality(as you mentioned),Clean Sound, low noise, Etc.? Anything smooth sounding is a big no-no. I despise smooth sound. It's only worth using if it sounds alive in my opinion. Not everything needs to be syrupy and liquid(I'm looking at YOU three HD-600, HD-558, and HD-650).
Edited by Gallade475 - 10/20/12 at 11:00pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 10 seconds ago
- › Rhapsodio thread 33 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 54 seconds ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 3 minutes ago
- › ECP Audio - DSHA-1, L-2, Black Diamond 4 minutes ago
- › Can my amp drive HE-6 4 minutes ago
- › Echobox: The Unveiling @ CES 2015 4 minutes ago
- › Neurochrome HP-1: Ultra-High End Headphone Amp 6 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 6 minutes ago
- › Smyth Research Realiser A16 6 minutes ago
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by glassmonkey
- › JDS Labs OL DAC by SoundApprentice
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear