It is said, that if you want to get good quality sleep, do not surf the web right before bedtime. I'm going to bed now and just made the mistake of taking one last look at vintage electronics on Craigslist. And saw a SX-1250. Now w-i-d-e awake.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/21/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
iBasso IT03 [1xDD 2xBA] Introduction: the mission statement of the company iBasso is “To capture the essence of music for all to enjoy” On their Facebook banner it also reads “We...
In 1976 two engineering students at Cambridge University with a passion for electronics and music founded Amplification and Recording Cambridge (Arcam). In 1988 they produced the first...
Very detailed quality sound . I am able to find details which missed before. Details with layer and staging. Staging and positioning isn't huge or odd. But I can feel it in my head when listening...
Disclaimer Firstly, I would like to thank the 1More team for giving these to me for the purpose of this review. All impressions will be made from as much as an objective standpoint as possible....
This is a review of the Advanced AcousticWerkes Nebula 2 IEM’s. The Advanced AcousticWerkes (AAW) Nebula 2 was sent to me from MusicTeck who is the authorized dealer in the US for AWW. A big...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 402post #6016 of 1663510/18/12 at 4:57am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6017 of 1663510/18/12 at 8:59ampost #6018 of 1663510/18/12 at 9:14ampost #6019 of 1663510/18/12 at 9:21amQuote:Originally Posted by calipilot227
Picked up a Nad 7220PE at a thrift store today for $30. Plugged it in when I got home, but sadly there was no sound. It even smoked a little I was reading that the output transformers have a tendency to fail.
Is it worth fixing? I don't really need another receiver, already have a Pioneer SA-6500 II that I love (and it certainly looks cooler). If it's not incredibly difficult (and it's worth it), I'd like to fix it and pass it on to someone who can use it.
The NAD has output transformers? You sure about that? I'm not sure why an '80s SS amp would need output transformers. Regardless, the transformers are one of the few parts that tend to stay in good condition even after years of use. It's usually the capacitors or silicon (transistors/diodes) that start to go first.
Head over to HifiEngine and download the service manuals. I'd replace all the electrolytics in the power supply and amp board first thing. You'll probably want a multimeter to troubleshoot and double-check the circuit.post #6020 of 1663510/18/12 at 6:22pmpost #6021 of 1663510/18/12 at 7:35pmpost #6022 of 1663510/18/12 at 8:12pmQuote:
Congrats! You also look well positioned to entertain over the holidays...what's the address again?post #6023 of 1663510/18/12 at 8:13pmpost #6024 of 1663510/19/12 at 8:19pm
My Marantz 2285 has developed a whir in the left tape monitor channel. It's very slight, a buzz so to speak, like bacon sizzle, that's audible only during playback and completely black when nothing is being output. Buzz is most audible between tracks. Any ideas on what this can be? Oxidation? Failing capacitor? I suppose the unit has to be dissembled to get at the controls for a cleaning.post #6025 of 1663510/20/12 at 7:22amIf you switch the source select through its rotation cycle 10-12 times rapidly, does the problem lessen or go away? Try the same with the Tape Monitor tape/source buttons.post #6026 of 1663510/20/12 at 1:44pmpost #6027 of 1663510/20/12 at 6:59pm
Unfortunately rotating the source selector has not helped the problem. The noise does not go away or lessen to any audible degree. Neither is there a change with rotating the tape monitor controls. I find when I rotate the balance dial entirely to the left channel there is an distortion and cackling noise. I'll likely dissemble the unit tomorrow and spray down all the controls with deoxit. Worst case scenario it'll go to the shop for capacitor replacement. Any other ideas I'm certainly open to listen.post #6028 of 1663510/20/12 at 8:58pm
Does anyone here have a good recommendation for a more mid priced receiver (around 100 bucks average) for hifiman he400 and BIC DV64
tower speakers. I like neutral or slightly bright, and not warm and not cold. I've already ruled out all of marantz because they are simply too warm for my tastes.post #6029 of 1663510/20/12 at 9:36pmpost #6030 of 1663510/20/12 at 10:53pmQuote:
What do you say its key points are, treble clarity, Neutrality(as you mentioned),Clean Sound, low noise, Etc.? Anything smooth sounding is a big no-no. I despise smooth sound. It's only worth using if it sounds alive in my opinion. Not everything needs to be syrupy and liquid(I'm looking at YOU three HD-600, HD-558, and HD-650).
Edited by Gallade475 - 10/20/12 at 11:00pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Liquid Gold - 2014 19 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › Something new from Earsonics is comming....september 27th... 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 6 minutes ago
- › iBasso IT03 by jon parker
- › Arcam irDAC-II - DAC, Headphone Amp, Bluetooth Streamer by crabdog
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by dubbcd
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by dnun8086
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by peter123
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by FUYU
- › Panasonic sealed earphone high-res sound source Silver RP-HDE10-S by Ralphee
- › SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 Big Power High Fidelity Stereo Headphone... by richyboy
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by crabdog
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by Prosie
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...