It is said, that if you want to get good quality sleep, do not surf the web right before bedtime. I'm going to bed now and just made the mistake of taking one last look at vintage electronics on Craigslist. And saw a SX-1250. Now w-i-d-e awake.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I already had Sennheasier HD 25 iis which are great on-ear headphones but i wanted to try these after a good experience with the Yamaha EPH-200s. I really enjoyed the Yamaha house sound and these...
Oriveti Primacy: Making music sound like music Introduction Oriveti seems to be a rather obscure company, without any big breaks or long-running hype trains. They offer a single model that...
Background: The Audio-Technica CK10 is a dual BA IEM that was released in 2008, back then in those simpler times, CIEMs were a highly niche market, three BA drivers per ear was considered a lot,...
Focal Utopia Review Utopia - definition: An imagined state of things in which everything is perfect. My initial intention was just to write some detailed impressions, but throughout that...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 402post #6016 of 1652610/18/12 at 4:57am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6017 of 1652610/18/12 at 8:59ampost #6018 of 1652610/18/12 at 9:14ampost #6019 of 1652610/18/12 at 9:21amQuote:Originally Posted by calipilot227
Picked up a Nad 7220PE at a thrift store today for $30. Plugged it in when I got home, but sadly there was no sound. It even smoked a little I was reading that the output transformers have a tendency to fail.
Is it worth fixing? I don't really need another receiver, already have a Pioneer SA-6500 II that I love (and it certainly looks cooler). If it's not incredibly difficult (and it's worth it), I'd like to fix it and pass it on to someone who can use it.
The NAD has output transformers? You sure about that? I'm not sure why an '80s SS amp would need output transformers. Regardless, the transformers are one of the few parts that tend to stay in good condition even after years of use. It's usually the capacitors or silicon (transistors/diodes) that start to go first.
Head over to HifiEngine and download the service manuals. I'd replace all the electrolytics in the power supply and amp board first thing. You'll probably want a multimeter to troubleshoot and double-check the circuit.post #6020 of 1652610/18/12 at 6:22pmpost #6021 of 1652610/18/12 at 7:35pmpost #6022 of 1652610/18/12 at 8:12pmQuote:
Congrats! You also look well positioned to entertain over the holidays...what's the address again?post #6023 of 1652610/18/12 at 8:13pmpost #6024 of 1652610/19/12 at 8:19pm
My Marantz 2285 has developed a whir in the left tape monitor channel. It's very slight, a buzz so to speak, like bacon sizzle, that's audible only during playback and completely black when nothing is being output. Buzz is most audible between tracks. Any ideas on what this can be? Oxidation? Failing capacitor? I suppose the unit has to be dissembled to get at the controls for a cleaning.post #6025 of 1652610/20/12 at 7:22amIf you switch the source select through its rotation cycle 10-12 times rapidly, does the problem lessen or go away? Try the same with the Tape Monitor tape/source buttons.post #6026 of 1652610/20/12 at 1:44pmpost #6027 of 1652610/20/12 at 6:59pm
Unfortunately rotating the source selector has not helped the problem. The noise does not go away or lessen to any audible degree. Neither is there a change with rotating the tape monitor controls. I find when I rotate the balance dial entirely to the left channel there is an distortion and cackling noise. I'll likely dissemble the unit tomorrow and spray down all the controls with deoxit. Worst case scenario it'll go to the shop for capacitor replacement. Any other ideas I'm certainly open to listen.post #6028 of 1652610/20/12 at 8:58pm
Does anyone here have a good recommendation for a more mid priced receiver (around 100 bucks average) for hifiman he400 and BIC DV64
tower speakers. I like neutral or slightly bright, and not warm and not cold. I've already ruled out all of marantz because they are simply too warm for my tastes.post #6029 of 1652610/20/12 at 9:36pmpost #6030 of 1652610/20/12 at 10:53pmQuote:
What do you say its key points are, treble clarity, Neutrality(as you mentioned),Clean Sound, low noise, Etc.? Anything smooth sounding is a big no-no. I despise smooth sound. It's only worth using if it sounds alive in my opinion. Not everything needs to be syrupy and liquid(I'm looking at YOU three HD-600, HD-558, and HD-650).
Edited by Gallade475 - 10/20/12 at 11:00pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 10 seconds ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 43 seconds ago
- › LAST PRICE DROP! Denon AH-MM400, Onkyo ES-FC300, Audio Technica... 50 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 52 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Bravo Audio V3 Discussion and Mods. 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by harry501501
- › RHA MA750i by meetpatel3686
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY - Whole Aluminium Body, Triple Drivers Hybrid 2... by ustinj
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones by mrstrangeguy
- › Focal Utopia by x RELIC x
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...