It is said, that if you want to get good quality sleep, do not surf the web right before bedtime. I'm going to bed now and just made the mistake of taking one last look at vintage electronics on Craigslist. And saw a SX-1250. Now w-i-d-e awake.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 3/31/11 at 8:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Audiofly has made the most comfortable IEMs that I've placed in my ears. They are probably the easiest to insert as well. I was ready to plunk down the cash and go the custom route, but these have...
* Obligatory warning that I am not a professional and am not the best at describing sound qualities of headphones. I don't like to use words like liquid or chocolate because descriptions like those...
Brainwavz have been around since 2008 and have been working on providing improved and more original products as time has gone on. If you are familiar with the last round of Brainwavz offerings it...
I bought the S version that has standard 3.5mm TRS unbalanced plug. I didn't want to use the balanced-to-unbalanced adaptor that comes with the non-S version because my players would not have...
“First in last out!” While the above makes for an excellent military motto, it really sucks for an audio component reviewer. I must sincerely apologize to Rock Jaw, Rockbob, and the folks waiting...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 402post #6016 of 1292410/18/12 at 4:57am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6017 of 1292410/18/12 at 8:59ampost #6018 of 1292410/18/12 at 9:14ampost #6019 of 1292410/18/12 at 9:21amQuote:Originally Posted by calipilot227
Picked up a Nad 7220PE at a thrift store today for $30. Plugged it in when I got home, but sadly there was no sound. It even smoked a little I was reading that the output transformers have a tendency to fail.
Is it worth fixing? I don't really need another receiver, already have a Pioneer SA-6500 II that I love (and it certainly looks cooler). If it's not incredibly difficult (and it's worth it), I'd like to fix it and pass it on to someone who can use it.
The NAD has output transformers? You sure about that? I'm not sure why an '80s SS amp would need output transformers. Regardless, the transformers are one of the few parts that tend to stay in good condition even after years of use. It's usually the capacitors or silicon (transistors/diodes) that start to go first.
Head over to HifiEngine and download the service manuals. I'd replace all the electrolytics in the power supply and amp board first thing. You'll probably want a multimeter to troubleshoot and double-check the circuit.post #6020 of 1292410/18/12 at 6:22pmpost #6021 of 1292410/18/12 at 7:35pmpost #6022 of 1292410/18/12 at 8:12pmQuote:
Congrats! You also look well positioned to entertain over the holidays...what's the address again?post #6023 of 1292410/18/12 at 8:13pmpost #6024 of 1292410/19/12 at 8:19pm
My Marantz 2285 has developed a whir in the left tape monitor channel. It's very slight, a buzz so to speak, like bacon sizzle, that's audible only during playback and completely black when nothing is being output. Buzz is most audible between tracks. Any ideas on what this can be? Oxidation? Failing capacitor? I suppose the unit has to be dissembled to get at the controls for a cleaning.post #6025 of 1292410/20/12 at 7:22amIf you switch the source select through its rotation cycle 10-12 times rapidly, does the problem lessen or go away? Try the same with the Tape Monitor tape/source buttons.post #6026 of 1292410/20/12 at 1:44pmpost #6027 of 1292410/20/12 at 6:59pm
Unfortunately rotating the source selector has not helped the problem. The noise does not go away or lessen to any audible degree. Neither is there a change with rotating the tape monitor controls. I find when I rotate the balance dial entirely to the left channel there is an distortion and cackling noise. I'll likely dissemble the unit tomorrow and spray down all the controls with deoxit. Worst case scenario it'll go to the shop for capacitor replacement. Any other ideas I'm certainly open to listen.post #6028 of 1292410/20/12 at 8:58pm
Does anyone here have a good recommendation for a more mid priced receiver (around 100 bucks average) for hifiman he400 and BIC DV64
tower speakers. I like neutral or slightly bright, and not warm and not cold. I've already ruled out all of marantz because they are simply too warm for my tastes.post #6029 of 1292410/20/12 at 9:36pmpost #6030 of 1292410/20/12 at 10:53pmQuote:
What do you say its key points are, treble clarity, Neutrality(as you mentioned),Clean Sound, low noise, Etc.? Anything smooth sounding is a big no-no. I despise smooth sound. It's only worth using if it sounds alive in my opinion. Not everything needs to be syrupy and liquid(I'm looking at YOU three HD-600, HD-558, and HD-650).
Edited by Gallade475 - 10/20/12 at 11:00pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 10 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 18 seconds ago
- › What IEM does $550 get me? 1 minute ago
- › Open sourcing the X5 firmware 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 + Rockbox finally here (Latest Update: 2014-06-30) 2 minutes ago
- › Best IEM for Trance -2014 edition 3 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 3 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 5 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › AudioFly AF180 In-Ear Monitors by hardbop
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DVass13
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › AKG X323XS by dweaver
- › Shure SE535LTD RED by hardbop
- › PSB M4U 2 Noise Canceling headphones by Mr_Owlow
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by squallkiercosa
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)