Very nice work Stephen!!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction – The first Soundlink Mini was quite an important product in the portable Bluetooth speaker landscape, it was one of the first speakers to use two opposing passive radiators and also...
Part 1 - TORTURE TEST So, have you ever heard the noise from an old laptop's hard drive spinning-up, or the electronic "chirp" of your mouse cursor moving across your screen during music...
FiiO EM3Comfort is King DisclaimerThe EM3 was a review unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to record my thoughts and impressions on how I found the...
I have had this amp now for about 6 months, and I very much enjoy the sound. I didn't even bother with the stock tubes, they got tossed in favor of a matched pair of GE 5657's, and I have a pair of...
Rhapsodio Solar Note: The custom in-ear in this review was provided at a discounted rate. Rhapsodio is an up and coming manufacturer of both custom in-ears and custom-like universals....
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 401
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6002 of 1607810/14/12 at 3:52pmQuote:
Love the new veneer. Looks way better than the vinyl stuff.post #6003 of 1607810/14/12 at 6:27pm
man that does look great.
the previous owner of my 8080 said he peeled the original vinyl and then just stained or finished the wood underneath. doesn't look as good as yours though steven.
Was there real wood under your vinyl veneer?post #6004 of 1607810/14/12 at 6:30pmQuote:
Can you post a picture of yours? I have a 7070 and vinyl is OK for now, but in any case, the re-veneer looks better. Wondering how hard it is to re-veneer and have it look professional.post #6005 of 1607810/14/12 at 6:45pm
poor lighting and worse camera. i'll throw up another tomorrow when i can get some good light
if you look really close at the front corner thats at the very bottom of the pic, you can see some of the old vinyl peeling up that he didn't remove from that bottom wood trim piece that isn't actually attatched to the wood case
Edited by Rawrbington - 10/14/12 at 6:48pmpost #6006 of 1607810/14/12 at 8:03pmQuote:
There is a somewhat coarse, open grained plywood underneath the vinyl.post #6007 of 1607810/15/12 at 9:41pm
I have to agree. The light wood color is unusual for a tuner of this age, but it looks great. Excellent work!post #6008 of 1607810/16/12 at 8:52pm
Today I picked up 4 Pioneers:
SX 780 (seems 99% functional except for a bulb needing to be replaced)
SX 737 - Does not power on
SX 650 - Has a blown channel
SX 880 - Has a blown channel
According to the guy I got them from someone had hooked up a sub improperly to the 650 and the 880 resulting in their current states. Sounds kinda sketch to me but for the price I am not complaining. Unless it's a super easy fix for any of them, I'm thinking about maybe fixing the illumination and keeping just the 780 (I'll have 2 of them!) and ebaying the rest. Thoughts on troubleshooting?
Edited by Mr.Sneis - 10/16/12 at 8:53pmpost #6009 of 1607810/17/12 at 6:50am
Check the fuses on the 880. IMHO that is the nicest of that lot for sure. If it's just a fuse, it would be a great score.
OTOH, the 880 uses an output device which does not have a modern equivalent/replacement. So it the output is indeed blown, only getting lucky and finding one used would allow replacement, and that might not be cost effective.post #6010 of 1607810/17/12 at 9:44am
Seems like the 880 is the best of the bunch. I flipped it over and removed the bottom case to look at the fuses, they are all intact including the one in the back panel. Flipped it over and removed the top and while extremely dirty I don't see any evidence of bad solder joints. I guess that doesn't make it very easy.post #6011 of 1607810/17/12 at 2:28pmpost #6012 of 1607810/17/12 at 8:13pmPicked up a Nad 7220PE at a thrift store today for $30. Plugged it in when I got home, but sadly there was no sound. It even smoked a little I was reading that the output transformers have a tendency to fail.
Is it worth fixing? I don't really need another receiver, already have a Pioneer SA-6500 II that I love (and it certainly looks cooler). If it's not incredibly difficult (and it's worth it), I'd like to fix it and pass it on to someone who can use it.post #6013 of 1607810/17/12 at 9:42pm
Didn't get any deoxit today but found out that the right channel plays very quietly in the 880 while the 650 is actually fully functional sans bulbs. When switching to mono mode the sound actually gets a little better balanced with the 880. The 650 and 880 IMO sound better than the 780 -- which is a shame because the 780 is the only one in relatively good cosmetic shape.post #6014 of 1607810/17/12 at 9:49pmI have a junker sx 650 that I love with headphones, it's just so ugly in its current condition.
Got my 2270 back. After several months. Waiting on parts more than once, and tech day job emergencies. It had several issues, lots done wrong to it over its 40 years. 1 issue remains unresolved and will probably stay that way for the time being as it doesn't present itself under normal listening conditions for me.
Signal path recapped along with power supply and main filter caps.
Sounds great with my headphones. awesome.
its crazy how small it looks next to the Kenwood
Edited by Rawrbington - 10/17/12 at 10:19pmpost #6015 of 1607810/17/12 at 11:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by calipilot227
Picked up a Nad 7220PE at a thrift store today for $30. Plugged it in when I got home, but sadly there was no sound. It even smoked a little I was reading that the output transformers have a tendency to fail.
Is it worth fixing? I don't really need another receiver, already have a Pioneer SA-6500 II that I love (and it certainly looks cooler). If it's not incredibly difficult (and it's worth it), I'd like to fix it and pass it on to someone who can use it.
I used to have the 7220PE. I used it as a preamp to feed my EF5 tube amp, Later, I tried the headphone output on it and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded, but by that time I had the SX-1250 and 2275, so did not have a need to hang on to it. I think it is worth saving, but if you intend to pass it along as a sale, check Ebay history to see what the price range is and decide if you can pocket some change.
I have the SA-9500. I agree on the looks and SQ.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 7 seconds ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 29 seconds ago
- › How Many Times Have Your LCD3 Headphones Been Returned to Audeze... 47 seconds ago
- › 2016 Tokyo Spring Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Introducing the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3U and HPA-3B, review to follow! 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 6 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 10 minutes ago
- › ROCK Zircon + Mula IEM Impressions Thread 12 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) 12 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 14 minutes ago
- › Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II (Carbon) by ryanjsoo
- › iFi iPurifier 2 by knorris908
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by RedJohn456
- › Little Dot I+ by Shasari
- › Rhapsodio Solar by shotgunshane
- › Superlux HD-660 by Wiljen
- › ACS T1 by Docjitters
- › QKZ W1 Pro - In-ear sport headphone by B9Scrambler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mechgamer123
- › Dunu TITAN 5 by mark2410
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse