Very nice work Stephen!!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 9/19/11 at 10:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 3/31/11 at 8:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 9/13/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
These headphones are a great pair for home use, and use for movies, videos and ect. They deliver great sound quality, but I wouldn't consider it hi-Fi though. I listen to mostly Metal and Rock...
I was overall unimpressed with the Focal Spirit One cans. I'm hardly a connoisseur of headphones, but I was let down a bit by the sound and the manufacturer's advertising. I compared these to...
I have the real version 2.0, not 2.1 (with the clip). Build/Design: I didn't like the provided tips, used the small Sennheiser tips: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110976313070 - much...
I purchased the Audio Technica ESW9a. These have African Paduak shells rather than the cherry of the Japanese release. The ESW9a is made in Japan. Physical: First, these are most...
Build Quality & Design The build quality on these isn't so good in the long run, the entire headphone is mostly constructed out of plastic the only metal part on these cans would be the earcups,...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 401
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6002 of 1204310/14/12 at 3:52pmQuote:
Love the new veneer. Looks way better than the vinyl stuff.post #6003 of 1204310/14/12 at 6:27pm
man that does look great.
the previous owner of my 8080 said he peeled the original vinyl and then just stained or finished the wood underneath. doesn't look as good as yours though steven.
Was there real wood under your vinyl veneer?post #6004 of 1204310/14/12 at 6:30pmQuote:
Can you post a picture of yours? I have a 7070 and vinyl is OK for now, but in any case, the re-veneer looks better. Wondering how hard it is to re-veneer and have it look professional.post #6005 of 1204310/14/12 at 6:45pm
poor lighting and worse camera. i'll throw up another tomorrow when i can get some good light
if you look really close at the front corner thats at the very bottom of the pic, you can see some of the old vinyl peeling up that he didn't remove from that bottom wood trim piece that isn't actually attatched to the wood case
Edited by Rawrbington - 10/14/12 at 6:48pmpost #6006 of 1204310/14/12 at 8:03pmQuote:
There is a somewhat coarse, open grained plywood underneath the vinyl.post #6007 of 1204310/15/12 at 9:41pm
I have to agree. The light wood color is unusual for a tuner of this age, but it looks great. Excellent work!post #6008 of 1204310/16/12 at 8:52pm
Today I picked up 4 Pioneers:
SX 780 (seems 99% functional except for a bulb needing to be replaced)
SX 737 - Does not power on
SX 650 - Has a blown channel
SX 880 - Has a blown channel
According to the guy I got them from someone had hooked up a sub improperly to the 650 and the 880 resulting in their current states. Sounds kinda sketch to me but for the price I am not complaining. Unless it's a super easy fix for any of them, I'm thinking about maybe fixing the illumination and keeping just the 780 (I'll have 2 of them!) and ebaying the rest. Thoughts on troubleshooting?
Edited by Mr.Sneis - 10/16/12 at 8:53pmpost #6009 of 1204310/17/12 at 6:50am
Check the fuses on the 880. IMHO that is the nicest of that lot for sure. If it's just a fuse, it would be a great score.
OTOH, the 880 uses an output device which does not have a modern equivalent/replacement. So it the output is indeed blown, only getting lucky and finding one used would allow replacement, and that might not be cost effective.post #6010 of 1204310/17/12 at 9:44am
Seems like the 880 is the best of the bunch. I flipped it over and removed the bottom case to look at the fuses, they are all intact including the one in the back panel. Flipped it over and removed the top and while extremely dirty I don't see any evidence of bad solder joints. I guess that doesn't make it very easy.post #6011 of 1204310/17/12 at 2:28pmpost #6012 of 1204310/17/12 at 8:13pmPicked up a Nad 7220PE at a thrift store today for $30. Plugged it in when I got home, but sadly there was no sound. It even smoked a little I was reading that the output transformers have a tendency to fail.
Is it worth fixing? I don't really need another receiver, already have a Pioneer SA-6500 II that I love (and it certainly looks cooler). If it's not incredibly difficult (and it's worth it), I'd like to fix it and pass it on to someone who can use it.post #6013 of 1204310/17/12 at 9:42pm
Didn't get any deoxit today but found out that the right channel plays very quietly in the 880 while the 650 is actually fully functional sans bulbs. When switching to mono mode the sound actually gets a little better balanced with the 880. The 650 and 880 IMO sound better than the 780 -- which is a shame because the 780 is the only one in relatively good cosmetic shape.post #6014 of 1204310/17/12 at 9:49pmI have a junker sx 650 that I love with headphones, it's just so ugly in its current condition.
Got my 2270 back. After several months. Waiting on parts more than once, and tech day job emergencies. It had several issues, lots done wrong to it over its 40 years. 1 issue remains unresolved and will probably stay that way for the time being as it doesn't present itself under normal listening conditions for me.
Signal path recapped along with power supply and main filter caps.
Sounds great with my headphones. awesome.
its crazy how small it looks next to the Kenwood
Edited by Rawrbington - 10/17/12 at 10:19pmpost #6015 of 1204310/17/12 at 11:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by calipilot227
Picked up a Nad 7220PE at a thrift store today for $30. Plugged it in when I got home, but sadly there was no sound. It even smoked a little I was reading that the output transformers have a tendency to fail.
Is it worth fixing? I don't really need another receiver, already have a Pioneer SA-6500 II that I love (and it certainly looks cooler). If it's not incredibly difficult (and it's worth it), I'd like to fix it and pass it on to someone who can use it.
I used to have the 7220PE. I used it as a preamp to feed my EF5 tube amp, Later, I tried the headphone output on it and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded, but by that time I had the SX-1250 and 2275, so did not have a need to hang on to it. I think it is worth saving, but if you intend to pass it along as a sale, check Ebay history to see what the price range is and decide if you can pocket some change.
I have the SA-9500. I agree on the looks and SQ.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 31 seconds ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › HD 650 vs FitEar A111 4 minutes ago
- › Difference between Fostex Th-7B and Th-7BB? 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 minutes ago
- › Popup ads 13 minutes ago
- › My HD music quest... 14 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 15 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by Cobaltius
- › Focal Spirit One Headphones by guidfail
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by BenF
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones by bjmr
- › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 by DigitalGrounder
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by chrismini
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude