or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 237

post #3541 of 16769

I have recently gone back to vintage receivers (Marantz 2215B, Pioneer SX-737, Sansui G-3000, all low end models recently acquired from my local thrift store) from dedicated headphone amps.  Particularly because I I have come to enjoy Grados, or more accurately the  Symphones Magnum, an ultimate Grado modded headphone by Rhydon.  The reason I preferred the vintage receivers because they tended to warm up the Grado/Magnums while at the same time giving it more bass and soundstage (without sacrificing details to my ears) than dedicated headphone amplifiers.

But I just read an article/thread that explained that vintage receivers were more designed for high impedance headphones and not low impedance headphones.  And therefore the sound of my Grado/Magnums that I'm experiencing as pleasant actually comes from impedance mismatch which results in warming up and increasing the bass of low impedance headphones.  So if this is true, this leaves me at a quandary.  So do I then ged rid of all my vintage receivers because what I'm finding pleasant is really poor impedance matching? Hm....

 

Anyone using these vintage receivers primarily with low impedance headphones (Denons, Grados, ATH's) and are preferring them to dedicated headphone amplifiers? 

 

Edit: I wonder if impedance resistance adaptors will help.  


Edited by sling5s - 12/17/11 at 8:43pm
post #3542 of 16769

Anyone knows how Thorens TD165 pair with Marantz or Sansui?  Wants go back to spinning and I have some stored in storage.

post #3543 of 16769

.


Edited by WarriorAnt - 12/9/13 at 11:05pm
post #3544 of 16769

Bring to ups store and have them pack it.  

 

I shipped a receiver before without original box.  Plastic bagged the receiver, filled the bottom of th box two inches of peanuts and make sure at least two inches of peanuts all around.  Ootte box, 1 inches of peanuts all around.  

post #3545 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt View Post

what is the best way to ship one of the big receivers?   FedEx OK or is there a special way to ship them?


My Harmon-Kardon was shipped across the US, from south to north, in a large box containing foam peanuts containing a smaller box that had the amp.

 

Upside: The peanuts did not get into the amp.

Downside: Many of the packing peanuts were crushed to powder. I was genuinely afraid the amp was going to be DOA. If it had faced more handling by shippers than it did, I suspect it would have been.

 

Large, heavy items should be packed in firmer, more rigid packaging. If you have any crates for old-fashioned full-size desktop computers from the 90s, you might be able to repurpose one of those or at least use it as guidance while you make your own. Swaddling it in bubble wrap sounds like a good idea, but those bubbles will only cushion from severe blows once before they pop. (some of the larger-bubble wrap is pretty tough and a few layers of it might be okay; I don't really know.)

 

If you're going to DIY, check how old CRT monitors or full-size computers are shipped. If you're lucky you might even find an old desktop computer box that can fit a receiver, with a little foam-cutting or stuffing.

 

A local shipping store (UPS Store or similar) will package your item on your behalf. The packaging and shipping insurance won't be cheap but this way you have experienced people doing the boxing and coverage on it.

post #3546 of 16769
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post

Bring to ups store and have them pack it.  

 

I shipped a receiver before without original box.  Plastic bagged the receiver, filled the bottom of th box two inches of peanuts and make sure at least two inches of peanuts all around.  Ootte box, 1 inches of peanuts all around.

 

 

 

 

Agreed. That the best way to ship anything of heft. It's also cheaper. I sold a kenwood 9600 for parts once. I spent almost an hour packing it. It cost me 76.00 to ship it. The mint one I recently sold only cost 66.00. But all I did was dropped it off at the ups store and let them do all of the packaging. They only charge you for the packaging materials and nothing for the labor. Lately that's the only way I do it when I ship heavy items.

post #3547 of 16769

.


Edited by WarriorAnt - 12/9/13 at 11:04pm
post #3548 of 16769
Thread Starter 

Yes double boxing helps some, but not a substitute for using a lot of foam(not just peanuts). I've used fedex a few times in the past. Haven't had a good experience with them yet. So, nothing good to say about them.

post #3549 of 16769

.   


Edited by WarriorAnt - 12/9/13 at 11:05pm
post #3550 of 16769

FWIW, I have had horrid experiences letting the UPS store employees do the packing. Bear in mind that they are franchises and UPS as an entity does not take responsibility for the packing done by the staff of the stores.

 

None of the staff I have dealt with had any clue about how to adequately protect audio gear. Have even gotten into verbal "disagreements" with them while watching them do the packing. When I told them (at my local UPS store) what the piece needed the response was "sir, we are professional packers". Now that may make me sound like a know it all busy body, but in reality I'm very easy going. I just have shipped and received enough audio gear that I think I know what will survive the trip.

 

http://youtu.be/tB686oOET4k

 

I feel obligated to chime in on this one. If you want the receiver to make it do the packing yourself. It will save yourself a lot of headaches down the road. Best strategy is to avoid peanuts, they shift too much and the corners of that nice silver face will end up poking out the sides of the box. My advise is to use bubble wrap and double box. You want the item to be securely wrapped so that it is essentially "suspended" in a shock proof cocoon. Never had a buyer complain about damage. Even had my almost irreplacable Acoustat servo amps survive a round trip to the one of the last people that service them.

 

-Dogwan

post #3551 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwan View Post

FWIW, I have had horrid experiences letting the UPS store employees do the packing. Bear in mind that they are franchises and UPS as an entity does not take responsibility for the packing done by the staff of the stores.

 

None of the staff I have dealt with had any clue about how to adequately protect audio gear. Have even gotten into verbal "disagreements" with them while watching them do the packing. When I told them (at my local UPS store) what the piece needed the response was "sir, we are professional packers". Now that may make me sound like a know it all busy body, but in reality I'm very easy going. I just have shipped and received enough audio gear that I think I know what will survive the trip.

 

http://youtu.be/tB686oOET4k

 

I feel obligated to chime in on this one. If you want the receiver to make it do the packing yourself. It will save yourself a lot of headaches down the road. Best strategy is to avoid peanuts, they shift too much and the corners of that nice silver face will end up poking out the sides of the box. My advise is to use bubble wrap and double box. You want the item to be securely wrapped so that it is essentially "suspended" in a shock proof cocoon. Never had a buyer complain about damage. Even had my almost irreplacable Acoustat servo amps survive a round trip to the one of the last people that service them.

 

-Dogwan


Yeah I'm going to have to double box it up myself.  Its the only way I can trust that it will get to where it is going OK.  I'm not selling the unit but I want it to get where its going in one piece.

 

post #3552 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post

Anyone knows how Thorens TD165 pair with Marantz or Sansui?  Wants go back to spinning and I have some stored in storage.



Not well at all........you should let me take it off your hands.  tongue_smile.gif

post #3553 of 16769

Just went to a vintage hi-fi shop my dad used to frequent. I can see why he doesn't go to that shop anymore. They wanted the equivalent of $900 for a Model 2250 in (barely) 7/10 condition, and the same price for a Model 3250 with matching poweramp, in 6/10 condition. Ridiculous, considering I can get more modern mid-fi offerings from Parasound, Exposure, NAD, and even Marantz themselves for much, much lower, especially used, amongst other brands.

 

However, I am quite happy with the PM17 MK1 I got for $270 though. In solid 8/10 condition too! Little scuffs and discolouration to the glorious champagne gold (which is, by the way, very subtle by design - do not believe the PR shots!) upon close scrutinization, and it's not quite vintage, but a good catch if there ever was one, and it sounds sweet. Now, to acquire a cheap DAC like a HRT Streamer II, because there is no way in hell my generic supermarket CD/DVD player can play the stuff I burn. Oh, and the fact that the sado-masochist in me is being inveigled by the prospect of blasting saccharine J-Pop/Anisong over my burgeoning hi-fi rig.


Edited by Dissonant - 12/18/11 at 6:17am
post #3554 of 16769

Double boxing is very important IMHO.  Peanuts are OK between the inner and outer box, but you cannot use just peanuts in the inner box around the item itself.  The large bubble pack is actually much better, but you still need a lot of it.  The best is actually to wrap the item in bubble pack, four layers at least, and then put two inches of styrofoam around it.  That's the inner box.  And then a second box, which can have peanuts between it and the inner box, as long as there are enough of them.

 

The most critical thing is everything must be packedso nothing can move.  If it can't move, and the packing is sufficient, it won't break.

post #3555 of 16769
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwan View Post

FWIW, I have had horrid experiences letting the UPS store employees do the packing. Bear in mind that they are franchises and UPS as an entity does not take responsibility for the packing done by the staff of the stores.

 

None of the staff I have dealt with had any clue about how to adequately protect audio gear. Have even gotten into verbal "disagreements" with them while watching them do the packing. When I told them (at my local UPS store) what the piece needed the response was "sir, we are professional packers". Now that may make me sound like a know it all busy body, but in reality I'm very easy going. I just have shipped and received enough audio gear that I think I know what will survive the trip.

 

http://youtu.be/tB686oOET4k

 

I feel obligated to chime in on this one. If you want the receiver to make it do the packing yourself. It will save yourself a lot of headaches down the road. Best strategy is to avoid peanuts, they shift too much and the corners of that nice silver face will end up poking out the sides of the box. My advise is to use bubble wrap and double box. You want the item to be securely wrapped so that it is essentially "suspended" in a shock proof cocoon. Never had a buyer complain about damage. Even had my almost irreplacable Acoustat servo amps survive a round trip to the one of the last people that service them.

 

-Dogwan


That's a good point, and since they are franchises, all of them are different. Lucky for me, the one close to me is exceptional. I've never even had any problems with insurance claims, and the person who does the packaging here is actually the store manager. And he goes all out when it comes to packaging stuff, and I've gotten comments from buyers on how well everything is always packaged. So I guess it's best to see how they package things first because all of them can be different.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners