Where in VA do you live? There are 3 Goodwills along Rt 50 in Arlington and Falls Church that sometimes have lots of electronics.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 12/30/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 15post #211 of 168862/18/11 at 2:52pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 168862/18/11 at 3:14pmThread StarterI just finished sanding and refinishing both my fisher cabinet and klipsch epic CF-2s. I'll try to get some pics up later tonight. The epics are really some great sounding speakers. I prefer them to just about all the current klipsch I've heard the last 5 years.post #213 of 168862/18/11 at 5:07pmThread Starter
These are just some preliminary pics. I'm still not quite finished. I still have to bolt the fisher to the case, and I still need to polish/buff the amp chassis. The brass knobs have become a little tarnished. I also have some matching speaker spikes on the way that are suppose to be here tomorrow. The speakers were a light oak finish to begin with, but they were scratched up. So I wanted them to match my fisher along with the rest of the furniture in my office. It's been a long week. I started this process on Monday. I am an amature so please don't judge my work too harshly.post #214 of 168862/18/11 at 5:14pmpost #215 of 168862/18/11 at 5:22pmThread Starterpost #216 of 168862/18/11 at 5:24pmpost #217 of 168862/18/11 at 5:39pmThread Starter
I bought an old one on ebay just to refinish it. But it was in worst shape than I thought it would be. The bottom had dry rotted and there were chips as well. I ended filing a dispute with paypal to get a partial refund because the seller described it in excellent condition with only a few scratches. When I took it out of the box, the bottom literally fell to peices. I paid 40.00 for it and got a 15.00 refund(imo, it still wasn't worth 25.00). It took quite a while to sand it deep enough to get all of the scratches out. I had to use some wood filler on a couple of chips on the back edges. When I first got it, it looked so bad, I considered trashing it and having mcintosh cabinets build me one, but I decided to give it a try since all I would be investing in was sanding blocks, varnish, and lacquer.post #218 of 168862/18/11 at 6:06pmpost #219 of 168862/18/11 at 6:10pmThread Starterpost #220 of 168862/18/11 at 6:10pmpost #221 of 168862/18/11 at 6:12pmQuote:
I will check those out on Sunday either before or after the meet since I will be in NoVa anyway. Excited?
I picked up the receiver. The guy was pretty awesome. He wasn't much into vintage speakers but receivers are something that he does not lack. He had a cute little Technics turntable too. I am using my SM3's and the 2220B's FM radio. No antenna but I still get a couple very clear signals.post #222 of 168862/18/11 at 7:41pmpost #223 of 168862/18/11 at 8:00pm
The only problem with Goodwill is it's very hit or miss. I can't use speakers so I've never really investigated them but at times, I've seen 20 pair at one or another of those stores.post #224 of 168862/18/11 at 8:11pm
I have never been lucky at any second hand store besides one pawn shop. Even garage sales have been fruitless for me. But, it's all about luck, even with online listings. A safe TT is technics or pioneer with Direct Drive and with S-shaped arm.post #225 of 168862/18/11 at 8:26pm
I got a nice NAD 3155 at Goodwill and I've seen a couple of other receivers that I should have bought but went home to research first. Went back to buy it and it was gone.
I also found a Dual 1219 at an estate sale for $10. Unfortunately it needed $150 to get it working.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Three Word Story 9 seconds ago
- › New here, looking for headphone advice. 26 seconds ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 48 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › HELP me find a amp for Hifiman HE-400i 4 minutes ago
- › CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017) 5 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 6 minutes ago
- › ABX test - Cannot hear difference between MP3/DSD... 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear