Where in VA do you live? There are 3 Goodwills along Rt 50 in Arlington and Falls Church that sometimes have lots of electronics.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 3/31/11 at 8:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
These are my first ever Grado's and I LOVE them, too bad I have to send them out to the next guy. I was always fascinated by Grado's ever since I saw Auggie's RS2's on Covert Affairs. I just...
The ud110 was recommended in a few different serious threads in the audio community, and I was intrigued to say the least, myself looking for more affordable options with out sacrificing too...
I feel obligated to share out-of-the-gate that I am no CIEM expert! As a matter of fact, I don't even particularly enjoy IEMs - I love over-ear or on-ear headphones. That said: Experiencing JH...
Like many others on this site, these phones are my stepping stone into the realm of "hi-fi"-headphones. These are indeed a good pair of phones for beginners and old-timers alike, because of their...
Audiofly has made the most comfortable IEMs that I've placed in my ears. They are probably the easiest to insert as well. I was ready to plunk down the cash and go the custom route, but these have...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 15post #211 of 129302/18/11 at 2:52pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 129302/18/11 at 3:14pmThread StarterI just finished sanding and refinishing both my fisher cabinet and klipsch epic CF-2s. I'll try to get some pics up later tonight. The epics are really some great sounding speakers. I prefer them to just about all the current klipsch I've heard the last 5 years.post #213 of 129302/18/11 at 5:07pmThread Starter
These are just some preliminary pics. I'm still not quite finished. I still have to bolt the fisher to the case, and I still need to polish/buff the amp chassis. The brass knobs have become a little tarnished. I also have some matching speaker spikes on the way that are suppose to be here tomorrow. The speakers were a light oak finish to begin with, but they were scratched up. So I wanted them to match my fisher along with the rest of the furniture in my office. It's been a long week. I started this process on Monday. I am an amature so please don't judge my work too harshly.post #214 of 129302/18/11 at 5:14pmpost #215 of 129302/18/11 at 5:22pmThread Starterpost #216 of 129302/18/11 at 5:24pmpost #217 of 129302/18/11 at 5:39pmThread Starter
I bought an old one on ebay just to refinish it. But it was in worst shape than I thought it would be. The bottom had dry rotted and there were chips as well. I ended filing a dispute with paypal to get a partial refund because the seller described it in excellent condition with only a few scratches. When I took it out of the box, the bottom literally fell to peices. I paid 40.00 for it and got a 15.00 refund(imo, it still wasn't worth 25.00). It took quite a while to sand it deep enough to get all of the scratches out. I had to use some wood filler on a couple of chips on the back edges. When I first got it, it looked so bad, I considered trashing it and having mcintosh cabinets build me one, but I decided to give it a try since all I would be investing in was sanding blocks, varnish, and lacquer.post #218 of 129302/18/11 at 6:06pmpost #219 of 129302/18/11 at 6:10pmThread Starterpost #220 of 129302/18/11 at 6:10pmpost #221 of 129302/18/11 at 6:12pmQuote:
I will check those out on Sunday either before or after the meet since I will be in NoVa anyway. Excited?
I picked up the receiver. The guy was pretty awesome. He wasn't much into vintage speakers but receivers are something that he does not lack. He had a cute little Technics turntable too. I am using my SM3's and the 2220B's FM radio. No antenna but I still get a couple very clear signals.post #222 of 129302/18/11 at 7:41pmpost #223 of 129302/18/11 at 8:00pm
The only problem with Goodwill is it's very hit or miss. I can't use speakers so I've never really investigated them but at times, I've seen 20 pair at one or another of those stores.post #224 of 129302/18/11 at 8:11pm
I have never been lucky at any second hand store besides one pawn shop. Even garage sales have been fruitless for me. But, it's all about luck, even with online listings. A safe TT is technics or pioneer with Direct Drive and with S-shaped arm.post #225 of 129302/18/11 at 8:26pm
I got a nice NAD 3155 at Goodwill and I've seen a couple of other receivers that I should have bought but went home to research first. Went back to buy it and it was gone.
I also found a Dual 1219 at an estate sale for $10. Unfortunately it needed $150 to get it working.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 23 seconds ago
- › Best AMP/DAC for $600 or less for PSB M4U 2 41 seconds ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 59 seconds ago
- › [REVIEW/TOUR] Somic MH412 + Viper4Android. The "Put Up or Shut Up"... 1 minute ago
- › Mad Dogs - amp for cans and speakers 1 minute ago
- › Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley mini-meet 1 minute ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? 2 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Prestige Series SR60e Headphones by Nada190
- › Stoner Acoustics UD110 V2 by WhiskeyJacks
- › Jerry Harvey Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Custom IEM by mikemercer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones by Im2spec1al
- › AudioFly AF180 In-Ear Monitors by hardbop
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DVass13
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)