Where in VA do you live? There are 3 Goodwills along Rt 50 in Arlington and Falls Church that sometimes have lots of electronics.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 12/20/12 at 12:03pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 9/19/11 at 10:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 3/31/11 at 8:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideEdited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
I bought these back in October and have only been able to enjoy them in the last couple of weeks (i.e. from late April 2013 after ordering in October 2012). I can't stress enough how important it...
Based in the reviews I read here I purchased the SR80i last July 2012. I thought they were way to bright, or as someone else said "ice picks" in the ears. I thought perhaps I needed an amp - and...
One channel of my Denon 250 pre-amp/amp set failed several times per listening session. So I bought the SMSL SA-98 in Hong Kong for a mere € 98,99 including transport. The trip from Hong Kong to...
Introduction First, I’d like to thank the folks at HiSoundAudio for sending me a sample of the Wooduo 2 in ear monitors for review. HiSoundAudio is a Chinese based headphone and earphone...
I ordered these when my Astrotec AM-90s finally bit the bullet. Liking them so far, however the Left side is cutting out possibly due to a short on the plug. Messaged HiFiMan and hope I get...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 15post #211 of 72722/18/11 at 2:52pmpost #212 of 72722/18/11 at 3:14pmThread StarterI just finished sanding and refinishing both my fisher cabinet and klipsch epic CF-2s. I'll try to get some pics up later tonight. The epics are really some great sounding speakers. I prefer them to just about all the current klipsch I've heard the last 5 years.post #213 of 72722/18/11 at 5:07pmThread Starter
These are just some preliminary pics. I'm still not quite finished. I still have to bolt the fisher to the case, and I still need to polish/buff the amp chassis. The brass knobs have become a little tarnished. I also have some matching speaker spikes on the way that are suppose to be here tomorrow. The speakers were a light oak finish to begin with, but they were scratched up. So I wanted them to match my fisher along with the rest of the furniture in my office. It's been a long week. I started this process on Monday. I am an amature so please don't judge my work too harshly.post #214 of 72722/18/11 at 5:14pmpost #215 of 72722/18/11 at 5:22pmThread Starterpost #216 of 72722/18/11 at 5:24pmpost #217 of 72722/18/11 at 5:39pmThread Starter
I bought an old one on ebay just to refinish it. But it was in worst shape than I thought it would be. The bottom had dry rotted and there were chips as well. I ended filing a dispute with paypal to get a partial refund because the seller described it in excellent condition with only a few scratches. When I took it out of the box, the bottom literally fell to peices. I paid 40.00 for it and got a 15.00 refund(imo, it still wasn't worth 25.00). It took quite a while to sand it deep enough to get all of the scratches out. I had to use some wood filler on a couple of chips on the back edges. When I first got it, it looked so bad, I considered trashing it and having mcintosh cabinets build me one, but I decided to give it a try since all I would be investing in was sanding blocks, varnish, and lacquer.post #218 of 72722/18/11 at 6:06pmpost #219 of 72722/18/11 at 6:10pmThread Starterpost #220 of 72722/18/11 at 6:10pmpost #221 of 72722/18/11 at 6:12pmQuote:
I will check those out on Sunday either before or after the meet since I will be in NoVa anyway. Excited?
I picked up the receiver. The guy was pretty awesome. He wasn't much into vintage speakers but receivers are something that he does not lack. He had a cute little Technics turntable too. I am using my SM3's and the 2220B's FM radio. No antenna but I still get a couple very clear signals.post #222 of 72722/18/11 at 7:41pmpost #223 of 72722/18/11 at 8:00pm
The only problem with Goodwill is it's very hit or miss. I can't use speakers so I've never really investigated them but at times, I've seen 20 pair at one or another of those stores.post #224 of 72722/18/11 at 8:11pm
I have never been lucky at any second hand store besides one pawn shop. Even garage sales have been fruitless for me. But, it's all about luck, even with online listings. A safe TT is technics or pioneer with Direct Drive and with S-shaped arm.post #225 of 72722/18/11 at 8:26pm
I got a nice NAD 3155 at Goodwill and I've seen a couple of other receivers that I should have bought but went home to research first. Went back to buy it and it was gone.
I also found a Dual 1219 at an estate sale for $10. Unfortunately it needed $150 to get it working.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Best Headphones for low volume listening? 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) please post your impressions. .... 2 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 3 minutes ago
- › **24/192 coming on your smartphone** 4 minutes ago
- › Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs) 4 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › INEARCUSTOM - Cheapest re-shell ever? 6 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 6 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Miracle by Loquah
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by jeffphus
- › SMSL SA-98 Flagship-level Top HIFI Digital Big Power Amplifier... by REvandenBERG
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by TheGame21x
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by TKWizard
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by lepermessiah
- › FiiO E09K by Bonavon Vovo
- › Aurisonics ASG-1 Rev 1.3 by kyuuketsuki
- › Audio Technica ATH-AD700 by sunnyape
- › Audeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphone by dan.gheorghe
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe